A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 31-01-2022

(31-01-2022, 10:17 PM)thomil Wrote: I'm seriously considering signing up for Dropchef, so that feedback comes just in the nick of time, nothing!

How does delivery work? Can you choose a day when your package gets dropped off, or is it a gamble?

Anyway, tableside here, having just demolished my (non-Dropchef) dinner. A bit tired but happy after my first stint in the office since November.

I can send you a referral which gives us both €15 off, let me know if you want it. 😁

If you're in Dublin, deliveries are at the weekend, elsewhere in the country is Monday or Tuesday. If there's somewhere safe to put it, it can sit for a good few hours, they wrap the fridge stuff in an insulating foil (it's like a cross between bubble wrap and tin foil) with an ice pack.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 31-01-2022

(31-01-2022, 09:52 PM)nothing Wrote: .....

Decent portions in all, for me I can get 2 meals from each one, or one hefty portion if I'm particularly hungry.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia3.giphy.com%2Fmedi...f=1&nofb=1]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 01-02-2022

(31-01-2022, 09:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Have cooked the 4th of my 5 dropchef meals.

Irish beef aloo - delicious, 1 hour
Chicken broccoli pasta bake - delicious, 45 mins
Salmon teriyaki - salmon amd sauce delicious, noodles and carrot ruined with sesame oil, 40 mins
Thai satay curry with sweet potato - delicious, 1 hour

Timings include from the moment I took out all the ingredients til I sat down to eat - so all the chopping, prep, some down time while things simmered/cooked, and the washing up!

Decent portions in all, for me I can get 2 meals from each one, or one hefty portion if I'm particularly hungry.

Would definitely recommend it as an alternative to anyone who's forking out on takeaways every week.
They sound like lovely dishes. It would be great if a chef was delivered with the ingredients Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 01-02-2022

Haha yeah, it's a bit of a pain when you're not in the humour to cook. I have a Jamacian jerk sweet potato dish left on last weeks, this week's was delivered at 7.20am (the downside of being around the corner from a depot). Have chickpea curry, mushroom rice thing, cod with sun dried tomato rice, beef burritos and sausages with potatoes and tomatoes.

I actually don't really like raw tomatoes, so hoping for the best pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 01-02-2022

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/what-did-hubble-see-on-your-birthday

This is great!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 01-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 10:46 PM)Necro Wrote: https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/what-did-hubble-see-on-your-birthday

This is great!
I looked at that and thought "was hubble launched before I was born?"

Then noticed it said birthday, not birthdate 🙈

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 01-02-2022

I thought the same, no wonder I had to bank Kol's imaginary 64k. 😂😂

Is anyone else finding the return to normality exhausting? Hopefully the brighter days soon will help.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 02-02-2022

Not quite ready for exhausting peopling next week

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 02-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 11:56 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Is anyone else finding the return to normality exhausting? Hopefully the brighter days soon will help.
I think that's very common.
I'm on holiday this week but am not looking forward to going back to the office next week. Long term I do want to, I think it's better to be in some days, but it's going to be a real shock to the system

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 02-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 11:56 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I thought the same, no wonder I had to bank Kol's imaginary 64k. 😂😂

Is anyone else finding the return to normality exhausting? Hopefully the brighter days soon will help.

Not yet anyways but I have not yet been summonsed back to the office and I think that's a big part of it. So I can adjust at my own pace and ignore most of the stinky people still pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Tigger - 02-02-2022

All the return to the office mean for me is more traffic on my way to the office and less office staff telling me I should let them work from home .

Let's all say it slowly. It was not my decision.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 02-02-2022

I've been in all through the pandemic. I would have went a bit strange otherwise I think.

Traffic is bonkers now though. I left home at 8am and get to coffee shop at 9.15 so just enough time then to go in to work around the corner.

In other news I told a client of mine they could pay me by bank transfer. No money from them yesterday so sent a text. No money from them this morning. It will be back to cash only for them.

I just don't understand the mentality of that. I'd be mortified.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 09:33 AM)Necro Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 11:56 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I thought the same, no wonder I had to bank Kol's imaginary 64k. 😂😂

Not yet anyways but I have not yet been summonsed back to the office and I think that's a big part of it. So I can adjust at my own pace and ignore most of the stinky people still pac

I think part of that is that the local management's hands are mostly tied with the latest guidelines, it will be interesting to see if they push against it with the mgt meeting today and try to force everyone back in at least partially

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:28 AM)Trigger Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 09:33 AM)Necro Wrote: Not yet anyways but I have not yet been summonsed back to the office and I think that's a big part of it. So I can adjust at my own pace and ignore most of the stinky people still pac

I think part of that is that the local management's hands are mostly tied with the latest guidelines, it will be interesting to see if they push against it with the mgt meeting today and try to force everyone back in at least partially

[Image: ardcollegeno000%21-god%21-no-god.gif]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Butty Brennan - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 09:33 AM)Necro Wrote: Not yet anyways but I have not yet been summonsed back to the office and I think that's a big part of it. So I can adjust at my own pace and ignore most of the stinky people still pac

I heard about a survey they did with Irish bosses asking them if they think WFH will benefit their business in any way and over 75% said no they don't want it.
You would think from the money end of it alone, the savings they can make by not having people in the office, more of them would be all for it.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Wichita Lineman - 02-02-2022

I didnt realise how exhausting my commute was until I stopped doing it. I get far more work done from home and I dont miss the office one little bit. I will unfortunately have to go back at some stage but it looks like 1 day a week which I will have to go along with to keep everyone happy.

(02-02-2022, 12:16 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 11:28 AM)Trigger Wrote: I think part of that is that the local management's hands are mostly tied with the latest guidelines, it will be interesting to see if they push against it with the mgt meeting today and try to force everyone back in at least partially
I heard about a survey they did with Irish bosses asking them if they think WFH will benefit their business in any way and over 75% said no they don't want it.
You would think from the money end of it alone, the savings they can make by not having people in the office, more of them would be all for it.

A lot of bosses/managers think that employees will skive off and do nothing if they're WFH even though the pandemic has proved that isn't the case. 

Its not them all I must be clear on but there is still a cohort that need that element of 'control' I find. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the coming months.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 02-02-2022

WFH doesn't work for me at all 😆 I have taken advantage a few times pre Covid, over holidays, etc. But please give me a desk and access to a kettle, where I can commute in ~30mins, with some nice sandwich buying options nearby. My next job needs to allow minimum 3+days in office so I can stay on the straight and narrow 😅

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 02-02-2022

Being in the office is an absolute nightmare for me work wise as someone, and not being smart here, who knows how everything on the system works or how it should work, you have people you or coming up to you with the smallest things, just cause they can see you. I don't get bothered at all really at home which allows me to get so much more done

Plus, the commute makes me really grumpy....

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 02-02-2022

There's a dog grooming place near where I work. All the little balls of fluid getting trimmed and beautified Big Grin

(02-02-2022, 01:14 PM)Trigger Wrote: Being in the office is an absolute nightmare for me work wise as someone, and not being smart here, who knows how everything on the system works or how it should work, you have people you or coming up to you with the smallest things, just cause they can see you. I don't get bothered at all really at home which allows me to get so much more done

Plus, the commute makes me really grumpy....

Yeah the questions are the thing that drive me nuts, I don't mind helping out but you do find it impacting on your own work, especially when you're talking about feckin call stats and you're stuck there fixing a claim for someone else who has asked the same thing now for the 50th time pac

Definitely doesn't work for everyone but I find myself much more productive at home as well.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Barna77 - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 01:14 PM)Trigger Wrote: someone, and not being smart here, who knows how everything on the system works or how it should work
Hope you are not told everyday how to do your job

(like me Angry )

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 01:14 PM)Trigger Wrote: Being in the office is an absolute nightmare for me work wise as someone, and not being smart here, who knows how everything on the system works or how it should work, you have people you or coming up to you with the smallest things, just cause they can see you.....
IT system is it ?

Poorly designed, hardly tested and foisted on users with little or no training ?

Up until around the turn of the century this wasnt how it was. Now it seems to be accepted as the norm.

A very rantable topic Angry

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 02-02-2022

We're moving to a new office the week after next. We'll only be required to come into the office one day a week for the first two weeks as things bed in, and then after that we'll be going full hybrid, 2 days in the office one week, 3 the next. If we were going back to our old office I wouldn't mind so much, even if it's showing its age at this stage. But at least it's in town with a nice easy commute on the train, whereas the new place requires navigating the M50. A lot of people aren't happy about the move and several have already left for new jobs because of it.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 02-02-2022

That sucks, we used to have this discussion about in a previous job as we knew the lease was short term, thankfully they didn't go anywhere while I was there. I like to work in office, but I just can't do a bad commute 😐 A girl I worked with changed job to improve her commute (among other reasons) and the new employer told her week 1 they were relocating and her commute ended up being worse than before (she moved again within 6 weeks).

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 02-02-2022

Apparently the DPER central policy went to Civil service management board this week. 2 POs in my area have heard different recommendations. Both agree it is a 3/2 split, but they don't know for definite.

I was so annoyed earlier when I heard the hybrid taxsaver project has just been ditched as it's complex to implement. This just seems ridiculous. They seem to say with one arm that we want to encourage everyone's right to work remotely, but we won't give you any tax breaks for using public transport to get to work. 
This will also mean traffic is going to get worse as people will drive rather than use public transport. 

I'm back in one day a week now, and will be 2 days a week from 21st Feb. I left home yesterday morning at 8am, would have gotten home at 7pm (if I wasn't clamped). On a WFH day, I get up at 8am, and finished just before 6pm.
 I am so tired today after being in yesterday, and I got so little done yesterday in comparison to being at home. Ended up working an extra 2 hours today to try catch up.

Commuting takes a good bit out of you alright. Before I got transferred back to Sligo, I had an hour each way commute on top of 10 hr shifts and I was absolutely exhausted all the time. It's not so bad now the office is only 20 mins away but still it's time I'd prefer to have with the family, particularly with wifey due our third at the start of April!

(02-02-2022, 08:45 PM)cee_jay Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 11:28 AM)Trigger Wrote: I think part of that is that the local management's hands are mostly tied with the latest guidelines, it will be interesting to see if they push against it with the mgt meeting today and try to force everyone back in at least partially
Apparently the DPER central policy went to Civil service management board this week. 2 POs in my area have heard different recommendations. Both agree it is a 3/2 split, but they don't know for definite.

I was so annoyed earlier when I heard the hybrid taxsaver project has just been ditched as it's complex to implement. This just seems ridiculous. They seem to say with one arm that we want to encourage everyone's right to work remotely, but we won't give you any tax breaks for using public transport to get to work. 
This will also mean traffic is going to get worse as people will drive rather than use public transport. 

I'm back in one day a week now, and will be 2 days a week from 21st Feb. I left home yesterday morning at 8am, would have gotten home at 7pm (if I wasn't clamped). On a WFH day, I get up at 8am, and finished just before 6pm.
 I am so tired today after being in yesterday, and I got so little done yesterday in comparison to being at home. Ended up working an extra 2 hours today to try catch up.
I'm pretty sure that DSP are bringing in their own policy, they have issued guidelines about office levels in front line areas etc and there won't be change on the rest until they implement their own blended/WFH/remote policy at end of Q1, unless staff wish to attend, they just contact their line manager if they do. must ask the sis in law if she has heard anything, she's a HEO in DPER

(02-02-2022, 08:48 PM)Necro Wrote: Commuting takes a good bit out of you alright. Before I got transferred back to Sligo, I had an hour each way commute on top of 10 hr shifts and I was absolutely exhausted all the time. It's not so bad now the office is only 20 mins away but still it's time I'd prefer to have with the family, particularly with wifey due our third at the start of April!
I did 7.30-5.30 today to sign off some stuff, if I did that in the office I'd have to leave before 6.30 I the morning and wouldn't get home till close to 7.  Wouldn't see the kid at all either. I probably wouldn't have got half as much done either. 

That to me would be utterly demoralising and couldnt be good in the long run in terms of staff welfare and production.. seeing how much the levels of sick leave and work related stress leave has gone down in just our office shows that remote/blended is the future really

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 03-02-2022

Waiting patiently for my Sezane goodies. Status still 'outbound linehaul scan'. Hurry up!!!!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 03-02-2022

Does the supplier provide good tracking, if not sometime you can get extra updates using the 'Parcels' app.
I find it great for tracking stuff from outside the EU all in one place.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 03-02-2022

(03-02-2022, 02:39 PM)ari101 Wrote: Does the supplier provide good tracking, if not sometime you can get extra updates using the 'Parcels' app.
I find it great for tracking stuff from outside the EU all in one place.

They use a service called Chronopost which does  provide updates. I just assume that when there aren't any it means no change in status. They must be in transit somewhere. I just inpatient Big Grin

I haven't heard of that app. Must have a look.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 03-02-2022

Often it does unfortunately 😬 I have one thing 'on transport to the country of destination' (in Europe import clearance done 🥳), and one sitting at 'export clearance success' (get on a damn plane parcel 😆).

(03-02-2022, 02:48 PM)ari101 Wrote: Often it does unfortunately 😬 I have one thing 'on transport to the country of destination' (in Europe import clearance done 🥳), and one sitting at 'export clearance success' (get on a damn plane parcel 😆).
And then it gets to here and it's stuck in An Post or on a DPD van for a week. Or worse...a Fastway van........😬😬

Oh no , not Fartway, keep them away from me please🤯🤬😅 Thankfully mine are An Post via Post NL, I like my postman 🙂

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Sephiroth_Dude - 03-02-2022

In my sister's house hiding behind a wall having fun with the  little princess, she keeps running out to me  and I tell her I'm gonna catch and she runs back out to the kitchen giggling mad and then comes back out to me again 😁 .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 03-02-2022

Having a shocker of a week, in and out of bed, haven't done a bit of college work since Monday, and have moved from slightly phlegmy to actual sore throat 😭

(03-02-2022, 09:31 PM)nothing Wrote: Having a shocker of a week, in and out of bed, haven't done a bit of college work since Monday, and have moved from slightly phlegmy to actual sore throat 😭

Oh no, hope it is nothing serious and goes away quick! 🤗

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 03-02-2022

(03-02-2022, 09:45 PM)ari101 Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 09:31 PM)nothing Wrote: Having a shocker of a week, in and out of bed, haven't done a bit of college work since Monday, and have moved from slightly phlegmy to actual sore throat 😭

Oh no, hope it is nothing serious and goes away quick! 🤗

Two negative antigens during the week, will do another tomorrow and then I might ring to see the gp if it's negative.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 03-02-2022

(03-02-2022, 09:57 PM)nothing Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 09:45 PM)ari101 Wrote: Oh no, hope it is nothing serious and goes away quick! 🤗

Two negative antigens during the week, will do another tomorrow and then I might ring to see the gp if it's negative.

There's a bad dose of a cold going round too at the moment, I had it last week. Knew it couldn't be covid unless I'm the unluckiest person alive and super susceptible but tested myself anyways as well. Get better soon Smile