A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 14-10-2021

(13-10-2021, 11:30 PM)Zaph Wrote: Yep, met on Boards, been married 9 years. Smile

That's a very cool story Smile
Well done on actually meeting up, the thought of meeting up with people I know online slightly terrifies me!

...mind you, maybe that's because it's you lot pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Barna77 - 14-10-2021

I met an ex on Boards.

Now he's getting married to someone else and I'm invited to that wedding  pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 09:32 AM)E.N. Wrote:
(13-10-2021, 11:30 PM)Zaph Wrote: Yep, met on Boards, been married 9 years. Smile

That's a very cool story Smile
Well done on actually meeting up, the thought of meeting up with people I know online slightly terrifies me!

...mind you, maybe that's because it's you lot pac

Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet us either Big Grin

We both posted a lot on the BGRH (Beer Guts and Receding Hairlines, for those unfamiliar with it) forum, and we actually met because about a dozen of us went to Germany for a weekend on the beer.  From the BGRH forum regulars, there actually ended up being four weddings and there are a couple of BGRH babies at this stage.  There was also another guy who came to one of our forum beers (the epic Night of a Thousand Corsets) and met his now wife at it.  It was a very sociable forum. Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 09:37 AM)Barna77 Wrote: I met an ex on Boards.

Is there a prize for guessing who your ex is? Tongue
[Image: giphy.webp?cid=82a1493b3fwr61ghl6rkmpvex....webp&ct=g]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 14-10-2021

One of my closest friends I met on Boards and she's going to be my bridesmaid. We connected when we realised we were from the same county  Smile I've also dated a few boardsies.  Blush
Dav and I used to be very friendly but due to private forum stuff we fell out. I've met loads and loads of yee and its been on the whole really brilliant!

There's more I'd like to meet. I pm a few people that I'm fond of and would very much like to meet them.
For a lot of people though they do prefer to keep the online separate with the 'real' life and I very much understand that.

I would love to meet Emmet Spiceland though!  Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 11:06 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 09:37 AM)Barna77 Wrote: I met an ex on Boards.

Is there a prize for guessing who your ex

My guess is Neo  Wink

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 10:03 AM)Zaph Wrote: Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet us either Big Grin
Especially you know who Wink

I'm actually in a whatsapp group with 6 other boardsies who are buying a house in the same estate as me. Met two in real life too. They're all really sound, and it's been so handy having a group of us when the builders and estate agents are being crap. Looking forward to having them all as neighbours Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 12:35 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 10:03 AM)Zaph Wrote: Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet us either Big Grin
Especially you know who Wink

I'm actually in a whatsapp group with 6 other boardsies who are buying a house in the same estate as me. Met two in real life too. They're all really sound, and it's been so handy having a group of us when the builders and estate agents are being crap. Looking forward to having them all as neighbours Smile

Great to be moving into somewhere new and already knowing some of the neighbours.  I've met loads of Boardsies over the years, and as with any group of people there's the odd dickhead or weirdo.  But by and large they're really nice and friendly and good fun to be around.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 12:50 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 12:35 PM)E.N. Wrote: Especially you know who Wink

Great to be moving into somewhere new and already knowing some of the neighbours.  I've met loads of Boardsies over the years, and as with any group of people there's the odd dickhead or weirdo.  But by and large they're really nice and friendly and good fun to be around.
I used to get great craic out of reading your prison thread posts Zaph. Yer man that called you Zapt sticks in my mind. There have been a lot of lunatics banned over the years.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 14-10-2021

Sitting with youngest granddaughter , she has two speeds , either sit or run....she doesn't have an over abundance of words but she's a funny little ray of sunshine ☺

(14-10-2021, 01:55 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 12:50 PM)Zaph Wrote: Great to be moving into somewhere new and already knowing some of the neighbours.  I've met loads of Boardsies over the years, and as with any group of people there's the odd dickhead or weirdo.  But by and large they're really nice and friendly and good fun to be around.
I used to get great craic out of reading your prison thread posts Zaph. Yer man that called you Zapt sticks in my mind. There have been a lot of lunatics banned over the years.

Prison was a funny one, there was always a fine line to tread between taking the piss out of someone who completely deserved it while at the same time trying not to come across as a bit of a dick with a superior attitude.  For the most part I tried to stay respectful towards people and where possible lift bans as soon as I could, because in reality none of the admins really liked banning people.  But then you had some who really were asking for the full treatment.  That Zapt guy was definitely one, but my favourite was this woman who was shilling her husband's business.  I can't remember who started dealing with her, myself or Gordon, but she wasn't happy with us and demanded another admin.  Now I must state that this woman was 100% guilty, from multiple sources of evidence there was absolutely no doubt that she was the wife of the business owner.  So anyway, whichever of us it was took over and played good cop with her, but she was sticking to her guns.  Eventually Gordon just got fed up with her and said that he knew she was X, and that she was married to Y who owned whatever the business was, and that he would send her the picture of their wedding day from their local paper if she really wanted it.  We never heard from her again after that. Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 03:08 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 01:55 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: I used to get great craic out of reading your prison thread posts Zaph. Yer man that called you Zapt sticks in my mind. There have been a lot of lunatics banned over the years.

Prison was a funny one, there was always a fine line to tread between taking the piss out of someone who completely deserved it while at the same time trying not to come across as a bit of a dick with a superior attitude.  For the most part I tried to stay respectful towards people and where possible lift bans as soon as I could, because in reality none of the admins really liked banning people.  But then you had some who really were asking for the full treatment.  That Zapt guy was definitely one, but my favourite was this woman who was shilling her husband's business.  I can't remember who started dealing with her, myself or Gordon, but she wasn't happy with us and demanded another admin.  Now I must state that this woman was 100% guilty, from multiple sources of evidence there was absolutely no doubt that she was the wife of the business owner.  So anyway, whichever of us it was took over and played good cop with her, but she was sticking to her guns.  Eventually Gordon just got fed up with her and said that he knew she was X, and that she was married to Y who owned whatever the business was, and that he would send her the picture of their wedding day from their local paper if she really wanted it.  We never heard from her again after that. Big Grin
I think I read that one, admin replies were priceless! Brilliant read.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 02:52 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Sitting with  youngest granddaughter , she has two speeds , either sit or run....she doesn't have an over abundance of words but she's a funny little ray of sunshine ☺
Awhhh, warms the heart! Smile 
...enjoy each other, mam

Is Boards.ie down for anyone else? I get a front end message and a "SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG, can't process request with a big X" when I try... But the "Are you down" sites say it is up and reachable.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 06:12 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: Is Boards.ie down for anyone else? I get a front end message  and a "SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG, can't process request with a big X" when I try... But the "Are you down" sites say it is up and reachable.

Down for me too

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 06:12 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: Is Boards.ie down for anyone else? I get a front end message  and a "SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG, can't process request with a big X" when I try... But the "Are you down" sites say it is up and reachable.

Hardly ever log in any more, but just checked, and yes, "Something has gone wrong..." Though frankly, something went wrong several months ago.

Thanks nothing and quickbeam! Appreciate it! .....yup, good assessment - if only things were workable there, a real loss.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 14-10-2021

Maybe it's a big update to put everything back to normal

OK yeah that's not happening pac

(14-10-2021, 06:25 PM)Necro Wrote: Maybe it's a big update to put everything back to normal

That would be a Christmas miracle!

You know, like "the baby Jesus. Up in that tower letting his hair down, so that the three wise men could climb up and spin the dreidel and see if there's six more weeks of winter!"

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 06:25 PM)Necro Wrote: Maybe it's a big update to put everything back to normal

I literally LOLed.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 14-10-2021

Lol , I came in here to say it was down too , other than that , I'm going to make a coffee!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 14-10-2021

Maybe they pulled the plug altogether, given Odhran's glaring indifference I wouldn't be surprised!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 14-10-2021

Down for me also..

On the prison forum, I think it's not visible to the standard user anymore since migration, which if true is a real shame as it has some of the best threads and comments on boards.

Who do you think wins a fight between a chopping board and a hob?

Oops Confused

Yikes, the smell of melted plastic must be very pleasant ...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 14-10-2021

Eeeep

(14-10-2021, 06:30 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Maybe they pulled the plug altogether, given Odhran's glaring indifference I wouldn't be surprised!
Wonder how they will fix this from a different time zone, will they need a "pull request" then wait for Canada to reply ...sometime tomorrow?

Lol EN !
Hobs win the battle against kettles too !(or so I'm told...)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 14-10-2021

It's pretty obvious the chopping board won, because try getting the plastic off the hob without damaging it or leaving a smell everytime you turn it on

(14-10-2021, 07:09 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Yikes, the smell of melted plastic must be very pleasant ...
Yep, really bad!
Think the kitchen window will have to stay open all night

Wasn't even that stupid, the board was already there and I knocked the dial with a shopping bag as I was unpacking it, enough to turn the hob on though

Ah well, no real harm done Tongue

(14-10-2021, 07:17 PM)Trigger Wrote: It's pretty obvious the chopping board won, because try getting the plastic off the hob without damaging it or leaving a smell everytime you turn it on
That's future EN's problem. Present EN sees it as a sign that it's a takeaway night pac

(14-10-2021, 07:19 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 07:17 PM)Trigger Wrote: It's pretty obvious the chopping board won, because try getting the plastic off the hob without damaging it or leaving a smell everytime you turn it on
That's future EN's problem. Present EN sees it as a sign that it's a takeaway night pac
Easily explained to the OH by mentioning the smell over and over.  And "hob/deep clean"

Its Thursday treatnight for me anyways Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 14-10-2021

Man EN you'll need more than a standard hob scraper to deal with that one... Sad

Saw on a Discord group that you can access Boards in incognito mode but you can't sign in.

You know the way they changed because of all their customisations to the old Vbulletin platform that caused issues? And how Vanilla wouldn't need those? And then how Vanilla did actually need customisations? And how there was an improvement due this week? See where I'm going with this?

So......when is it returning?
The 12th of Never ?

Sofaside, had some lovely buttery toast, should be doing some coursework but enjoying TV instead

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 14-10-2021

It is up and reachable, but all it says is "Something has gone wrong. We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now. Please check back in a little while."

Those are you down sites just try to connect, to see "if its just me or everyone", but as it connects, it will always say its good.

Hopefully this is not the end. Confused

They say on twitter that a scheduled update brought it down, and hoping to get it back up ASAP.. so maybe a week or so Big Grin

(14-10-2021, 08:17 PM)Trigger Wrote: They say on twitter that a scheduled update brought it down, and hoping to get it back up ASAP..  so maybe a week or so Big Grin
I knew it! Tongue

All the upgrades tend to cause problems now, and if they're sort all the customisations will cause problems and eventually a new "upgrade" will be announced.

They could have gone for whatever platform is used here, it seems to have all the functions old Boards had and is easy to navigate.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - jp liz v1 - 14-10-2021

Yes down for me too