A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 06-10-2021

I hate Doomsday relatives, they love the drama and torment they cause.

I'm couchside, glad to be over halfway through the week.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 06-10-2021

Sofaside, fairly relaxed day and got some chips. Looking forward to resting another couple days.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 10:02 AM)Trigger Wrote: "A couch, a couch, I'm going to work from my couch"

I think it was
There are more things in Starbucks, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
...what latte through yonder window breaks?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 06-10-2021

Always only get the grandkids one big toy/item each at Christmas, along with (practical )clothes/pjs etc as Santa brings enough toys . Got one today on sale , another will be got at the weekend, then only two left ! And it's only October!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 08:59 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Always only get the grandkids one big toy/item each at Christmas,  along with (practical )clothes/pjs etc as Santa brings enough toys . Got one today on sale , another will be got at the weekend,  then only two left ! And it's only October!

There was a Christmas ad on during one of the breaks in Bake Off last night and apparently Twitter went ballistic over it being on so early.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 06-10-2021

@Zaph , lol ! Nearly all the shops here have Christmas items out alongside the Halloween stuff . Although I can understand that it seems a bit early for the ads to be on TV .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:02 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:59 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Always only get the grandkids one big toy/item each at Christmas,  along with (practical )clothes/pjs etc as Santa brings enough toys . Got one today on sale , another will be got at the weekend,  then only two left ! And it's only October!

There was a Christmas ad on during one of the breaks in Bake Off last night and apparently Twitter went ballistic over it being on so early.
I went ballistic over that ad also. It's too early for that sort of carry on! And I love Christmas but it isn't even Halloween yet!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 06-10-2021

I love love looove Christmastime. It goes by too fast every year.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 06-10-2021

We've gotten our Santa pressies for our two already too, they always kind of know what they want a few months out so I keep an eye to see can I get them on sale or something if possible... or when I have the money other years Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 06-10-2021

I've started too, I get stressed about it unnecessarily if I don't do it early, the crowds in the last month are just too much, so even though I don't want to see a tree or hear a song until December, this is a good thing! Big Grin My godson is old enough to understand this year so looking forward to that fun Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 06-10-2021

Have half bought (besties kids) and planning to have everything by the end of the month

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:06 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: @Zaph , lol ! Nearly all the shops here have Christmas items out alongside the Halloween stuff . Although I can understand that it seems a bit early for the ads to be on TV .

Yeah, we were over in Liffey Valley earlier and Marks & Spencer had a load of Christmas homeware stuff on display just a couple of feet away from the Halloween stuff.

(06-10-2021, 09:07 PM)cee_jay Wrote: I went ballistic over that ad also. It's too early for that sort of carry on! And I love Christmas but it isn't even Halloween yet!

It was a bit early for it all right, however I'd happily take two Christmases a year if the second one replaced Halloween. Without a doubt it's my least favourite day of the year.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:07 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: I love love looove Christmastime. It goes by too fast every year.

Oh so right, Boo! Especially last year, Christmas just seemed to fly right by. I don't even have a family to celebrate Christmas with anymore and I'm already looking forward to it like I'm a little kid again  Big Grin

Probably helps that there was no Halloween when I was a kid, so all those ghouls and goblins can just pound a pumpkin as far as I'm concerned pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:11 PM)nothing Wrote: Have half bought (besties kids) and planning to have everything by the end of the month

Given how screwed up the global supply chains are at the moment, that's a sensible strategy, to be honest.

(06-10-2021, 09:13 PM)thomil Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:11 PM)nothing Wrote: Have half bought (besties kids) and planning to have everything by the end of the month

Given how screwed up the global supply chains are at the moment, that's a sensible strategy, to be honest.

Have cut down this year too, trying not to go mad.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:14 PM)nothing Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:13 PM)thomil Wrote: Given how screwed up the global supply chains are at the moment, that's a sensible strategy, to be honest.

Have cut down this year too, trying not to go mad.
I say this every year!
This year I will have 4 nieces and nephew(s) - there is one more due in the next week. I spoil them way too much.

I buy the clothes throughout the year, starting in the January sales tbh , in bigger sizes , and put them into the "Christmas Box " , might sound like a cheapskate but I wouldn't be able to go out and do it all in one big shopping trip .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 06-10-2021

Well, that stopped the conversation. Do continue!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:28 PM)quickbeam Wrote: Well, that stopped the conversation.  Do continue!

Haha, I think nothing and I were very much in favour of the option if we could have it (based on our attempt to thank the post) Big Grin

I really hate feeling like I should buy for people, and every year I try get it closer to zero pac If I have a good idea for a present I do it, but otherwise it grates on me. That said I struggle with not living up to the expectation to give something, so I suck it up and get certain peoples a few bits anyway. I wish I could find better stuff for my Dad, he is terrible to buy for but it is important for me to give him something to open when my bro and I always have a few gifts under the tree.

I'm not mad about xmas, prefer to spend it alone, will usually make myself a fancy dinner, but wouldn't complain if the whole thing was cancelled. Well, except the time off and some tv specials lol

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 06-10-2021

I could give or take it tbh. Kids love it so that brings a bit of the magic back but I'd be quite happy heading home after Christmas dinner and chilling with an audio book or something.

We started doing Kris Kindle in my family a good few years ago, with a €50 limit. Then the year before last we decided to scrap it altogether, there was nothing me or my siblings really wanted or needed, so we were just buying presents for the sake of it. Now I only buy presents for my nieces and nephew (just the non-grown up ones) and I'll get something for my parents.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 06-10-2021

I like Christmas, but over the years there's been more empty seats so it can be very melancholy too.

It's a great time of the year for time off work, great food and drink though. Lie ins in the darkest days of the year are heaven.

(06-10-2021, 09:46 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I like Christmas, but over the years there's been more empty seats so it can be very melancholy too.

It's a great time of the year for time off work, great food and drink though. Lie ins in the darkest days of the year are heaven.

We normally alternate between families for Christmas Day each year.  But because of lockdown Toto and I had our first Christmas at home last year.  It was just the two of us and I can honestly say it was the best Christmas I've had since I was a kid.  Heaps of food and drink, and nobody else to have to suit other than ourselves.  Now if we can only persuade the government that we need another lockdown in December... Big Grin

(06-10-2021, 09:46 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I like Christmas, but over the years there's been more empty seats so it can be very melancholy too.

I know the feeling with the empty chairs. There'll be only one occupied in this household this year, again... Makes deciding on the Christmas menu a whole lot easier, I suppose, but it can get you down...

There's still something magical about that time though, the excitement, the buzz, all the lights going up at the darkest time of the year. Plus, every Christmas takes me farther away from that bloody 2017, and that in itself is a reason to celebrate!

(06-10-2021, 09:53 PM)thomil Wrote:

I know the feeling with the empty chairs. There'll be only one occupied in this household this year, again... Makes deciding on the Christmas menu a whole lot easier, I suppose, but it can get you down...

There's still something magical about that time though, the excitement, the buzz, all the lights going up at the darkest time of the year. Plus, every Christmas takes me farther away from that bloody 2017, and that in itself is a reason to celebrate!
I am there as well, thomil, again...

..and the lovely music Smile ...and lights on the tree makes it feel cozy, warm and hopeful inside (even though outside, the world is quite the mess)

(06-10-2021, 09:53 PM)thomil Wrote:

I've never spent a Christmas alone, I'm always invited somewhere. Whether that's obligation, pity or my winning personality is anyone's guess!

It's sold as a family occasion, with ads showing 20 people turning up at one house, so it must be lonely at times on your own. At least you're spared the tantrums and bickering!

I guess it helps that Christmas in Germany is generally a much more quiet affair than it appears to be here in the English speaking world. It's mostly just the core family coming together on Christmas Eve for a great big dinner, followed by two days of recovery from said dinner. That's usually when the Becherovka came into play in my family pac

So it's not a massive departure from me. What I really miss is the giddy excitement of going home to my parents. Ever since my time in boarding school, Christmas meant a multi-hour trip filled with anticipation. That feeling of "coming home" is what really made the holidays special for me.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - aaronjennings - 06-10-2021

Can definitely relate to that, my grandmother went in to hospital a week before Christmas last year, and this will be the first Christmas since she passed away. I imagine it'll be harder on some than others

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 06-10-2021

Christmas is the best time to do summer holidays Smile

Rolling the Christmas & New Year days into annual leave gets a decent break

Been doing this for a few years now

I like this sort of carry on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmbjlnU5UIY ( each to their own Smile  )

Anyone else run away for Christmas ?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 10:14 PM)dawg Wrote: Anyone else run away for Christmas ?

Not run away, but I do hide. The small talk at work about Christmas are difficult.

For those with empty seats, I can imagine that being sad, but it must also be nice to have the memories. For some, the seats have never been occupied.

Wish I could afford to run away for it!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 06-10-2021

What would you like to get up to ... if you could ?

A Wherers Christmas getaway to some far-flung exotic destination? Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:52 PM)Zaph Wrote:

We normally alternate between families for Christmas Day each year.  But because of lockdown Toto and I had our first Christmas at home last year.  It was just the two of us and I can honestly say it was the best Christmas I've had since I was a kid.  Heaps of food and drink, and nobody else to have to suit other than ourselves.  Now if we can only persuade the government that we need another lockdown in December... Big Grin
Oh sweet Jesus no!! Back to normality and anyone who wants to do their own thing can practice assertiveness  Big Grin I'm not a fan of Christmas. It's a lonely day for daddy and me. There isn't a hope of getting him to leave his home for the day so I spend it with him.

(06-10-2021, 10:22 PM)dawg Wrote: What would you like to get up to ... if you could ?

Oooh fancy hotel, big cosy bed, and room service, or maybe an art retreat somewhere with some mild to warm temperatures.

(06-10-2021, 10:22 PM)dawg Wrote: What would you like to get up to ... if you could ?

I'd feck off to Cambodia for a month and lie on a beach in Sihanoukville drinking 3 dollar beers.

(06-10-2021, 10:36 PM)Necro Wrote:

I'd feck off to Cambodia for a month and lie on a beach in Sihanoukville drinking 3 dollar beers.
3 dollar beers? Sold! Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 06-10-2021

Christmas is such a loaded time of the year. There's huge expectation to be happy and meet people and celebrate. If you don't have that then it can really increase the feeling of isolation. It's one thing being content in your own company on the day and another wishing it were different. Then there are losses which can be hard to face. It's a season when those losses all come home to roost.

(06-10-2021, 10:57 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Christmas is such a loaded time of the year. There's huge expectation to be happy and meet people and celebrate. If you don't have that then it can really increase the feeling of isolation. It's one thing being content in your own company on the day and another wishing it were different. Then there are losses which can be hard to face. It's a season when those losses all come home to roost.
or.... you could, load up on the twinkle lights,  binge watch christmas movies and sing carols to the radio. Big Grin

(I know what you are referring to DoF, just offering a silly alternative that works for me.)