A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 03-10-2021

I remember when I was about 10 I was in England and bought this cinnamon chewing gum thinking it would be cool as it was something I never had.

Have hated cinnamon ever since... pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 03-10-2021

What kind of monster came up with the idea of cinnamon chewing gum???

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 03-10-2021

I can't taste cinnamon.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 08:45 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: You've gone way up in my estimates, Mam. I loathe cinnamon too.
Cinnamon candles, cinnamon coffee.. vomit...

Wasn't cinnamon one of those things that was used in old times to cover the flavour of stuff that had gone off ?

Reckon cloves would be in a similar category

But not ginger. Ginger gets a free pass from me Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 03-10-2021

Red aftershock did the same to me, @Necro

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 08:48 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: What kind of monster came up with the idea of cinnamon chewing gum???

Hopefully The Brits brought back hanging just for whoever it was   Tongue

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 03-10-2021

My memory of cloves is them in apple tarts and hot whiskeys just getting a horrible bit when lease expected.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 08:49 PM)nothing Wrote: Red aftershock did the same to me, @Necro

Oh I did all three colours of aftershock one night as a young fella and completely blacked out.

The following year I was back up in the same town and the flyer advertising that particular pub had yours truly dancing with some random girl on the front of it pac

To this day I've no recollection of either that photo or the girl in question Confused

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 08:57 PM)Necro Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 08:49 PM)nothing Wrote: Red aftershock did the same to me, @Necro

Oh I did all three colours of aftershock one night as a young fella and completely blacked out.

The following year I was back up in the same town and the flyer advertising that particular pub had yours truly dancing with some random girl on the front of it pac

To this day I've no recollection of either that photo or the girl in question Confused
I've no recollection of my early 20's pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 03-10-2021

@Necro that's a brilliant story!! You should have demanded royalties from the poster.
I've never tried After Shock. Anything that looks like mouthwash isn't appealing to me.
My worst encounter with drink was Perno and blackcurrant. It's not a nice taste to be vomiting up. Eeekkk.
I was only 19 though.

Oh gods, Pernod is vile. I remember having it somewhere semi-posh where I couldn't really turn it down, and drinking it, and topping up with more blackcurrant, and drinking it and topping up again, just to try and get it all down eventually. It seemed no matter how much blackcurrant was added the taste remained the same, so it ended up being a never ending glass of Pernod.

Pernod is second only to absinthe when it comes to drinks that kill off brain cells   Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 03-10-2021

Also a drink called satruch, don't know how to spell it but it was pretty strong too.

Ever try Becherovka?  A Czech liquor.  Holy mother of god that was also vile.

[Image: xusju7E.png]

(03-10-2021, 08:49 PM)dawg Wrote: But not ginger. Ginger gets a free pass from me Big Grin

I don't like ginger either. I don't really taste it in food, except maybe biscuits, but I had a ginger beer once, thinking it'd be delicious. It definitely *sounds* delicious and if it was good enough for The Famous Five then it must be good, right? Nope. Horrible.

(03-10-2021, 09:38 PM)quickbeam Wrote: Ever try Becherovka?  A Czech liquor.  Holy mother of god that was also vile.

Never saw that before. I shudder at the stuf I put in my body in my 20s. I used to drink a different drink every order just for the craic. Anyone remember an orange drink thing that the bottle had a top like a jam jar? Something similar to a Smirnoff Ice but with orange.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 03-10-2021

@Purple Mountain, I was that Pernod soldier too. I loved it until that fateful night I puked it back up ... I could still smell it the next morning when I woke up. Cry Cry Sick

(03-10-2021, 09:46 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Never saw that before. I shudder at the stuf I put in my body in my 20s. I used to drink a different drink every order just for the craic. Anyone remember an orange drink thing that the bottle had a top like a jam jar? Something similar to a Smirnoff Ice but with orange.

Orange - Grand Marnier ?

Nice enough, even if sweet

[Image: 4FFAE797-649F-DF91-4306-9FAD3D148BC9.jpeg]

We didn’t have Smirnoff Ice when I was young. We’d have Hooch and Woodies. Delicious at the time but I think they’d make me sick now.

I still get hankerings for Fat Frogs even though they're far far too sweet. Nearly bought one last night but thought better of it in the end..

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 03-10-2021

Ah, fat frogs. Orange smirnoff, lemon smirnoff, blue wkd, 2 pint glasses with ice and some straws. Nomnomnom

(03-10-2021, 09:52 PM)dawg Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 09:46 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Never saw that before. I shudder at the stuf I put in my body in my 20s. I used to drink a different drink every order just for the craic. Anyone remember an orange drink thing that the bottle had a top like a jam jar? Something similar to a Smirnoff Ice but with orange.

Orange - Grand Marnier ?

Cointreau is another.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 09:38 PM)quickbeam Wrote: Ever try Becherovka?  A Czech liquor.  Holy mother of god that was also vile.

How dare you!!!

Fair enough, it's an acquired taste, but I have fond memories of it. A shot or two of that stuff traditionally ended our Christmas dinner  Angel

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 03-10-2021

I drank Becherovka in Prague about 25 years ago. I still remember the taste like it was yesterday. One of the vilest drinks I've ever had the misfortune to taste.

(03-10-2021, 09:52 PM)dawg Wrote:

Orange - Grand Marnier ?

No what I'm thinking was something like a vodka drink mixed with orange. Not a spirits bottle.

It would have probably been referred to as an 'alcopop'. But it had a strange bottle with a really wide mouth and a cap you would twist open like a jam jar.
I am going to look for some old photos because I bet I'd find some photos of Nights out from a kodak camera.

Bedtime for me, the dark evenings are sending me into hibernation mode.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 11:00 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Bedtime for me, the dark evenings are sending me into hibernation mode.

I'm in the bed now and I slept for 2 hours earlier.

I had a read of some of the drinks posts. Took me back. When I was 15 my friend at the time wanted a bottle of Woodies for her 16th. She got it so I had my mam plagued for the same. Not a hope was that happening in my house.

Smirnoff ice was the drink of choice in college and After Shock if you were brave enough. Those trying to be cool drank vodka. My attempt at cool was Southern Comfort....vomit....I can't stomach spirits now....unless they in a cocktail.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 03-10-2021

Jagermeisters though Sad

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Night owl gal - 04-10-2021

hello all  Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 04-10-2021

That Becherovka is pretty popular here, I'm sure we have a bottle or 2 in the cabinet. Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 04-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 11:46 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Jagermeisters though  Sad

The first time I ever had Jagermeister was about 30 years ago, before it really became a popular drink.  My dad and myself were in the house of his boss, who was of German extraction and always had loads of strange drinks knocking about, and he poured us each a very large glass of something we'd never seen before.  It turned out to be Jagermeister, and let me tell you drinking that much of it as a sipping drink like whiskey, as opposed to knocking it back as a shot is a major ordeal.  Can't stand the stuff ever since then.

The other drink I have a major problem with is peach schnapps.  For a while it was hugely popular and everyone was drinking it.  Friends had a new year's party and there were an awful lot of bottles of the stuff, which myself and a couple of others basically tried to get through without any outside assistance.  Now just the smell of something peachy, doesn't even have to be peach schnapps, now makes my stomach do cartwheels.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 12:14 AM)Night owl gal Wrote: hello all  Smile

Hey there, always good to have more people join us Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 04-10-2021

Oh shudder.
Yes Southern Comfort and Peach Shnapps.
Those passes my lips too on my clubbing nights.
I went to a free house one night, I was probably 15. The drink ran out and I found a dusty bottle of sherry in the back of a wardrobe and drank that.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 04-10-2021

Jagerbombs don't even taste nice yet I've done more of them than any other shot... I cannot imagine drinking it like whiskey alright Zaph I don't think I've ever considered it outside the shot option. Must see can I find the photo of the 14 shots lined up on the bar in Cambodia tomorrow... Would make ones liver cry pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 04-10-2021

D Day Sad

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - fixxxer - 04-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 09:52 PM)quickbeam Wrote: We didn’t have Smirnoff Ice when I was young.  We’d have Hooch and Woodies.  Delicious at the time but I think they’d make me sick now.
Hello fellow elder.
I remember knocking back 6 woodies because a girl I fancied was going to be there on a night out.
Threw up pink vomit in her hair ?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 04-10-2021

Oh Woodies... The memories! We also had an alcopop called Mugshot.
I remember a girl in my class in 3rd year had to get her stomach pumped after drinking too much in a field somewhere. Her mother did a deal with her - if she didn't drink between then and her junior cert, she would buy her a crate of woodies for celebrating end of the exams. Even my 15 year old self saw the folly in that plan.

As for peach schnapps, I have a friend just like Zaph. Even peach smelling shampoo turns her stomach. We went to our friends sister's wedding in Dromoland Castle. She drank too much peach schnapps, and told her mother the next day she must have food poisoning (from a 5 star hotel?). Her mother bought it somehow.

I can't stomach jagermeister. I hate cinnamon so Aftershock is the absolute worst. On my 21st, some guys in my class got me a rainbow of aftershocks - they ended up dumped into a pint glass to be downed. This was on the way to the party! Never again!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 04-10-2021

2l bottles of Linden Village, those were the days.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 12:23 AM)Zaph Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 11:46 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Jagermeisters though  Sad

The first time I ever had Jagermeister was about 30 years ago, before it really became a popular drink.  My dad and myself were in the house of his boss, who was of German extraction and always had loads of strange drinks knocking about, and he poured us each a very large glass of something we'd never seen before.  It turned out to be Jagermeister, and let me tell you drinking that much of it as a sipping drink like whiskey, as opposed to knocking it back as a shot is a major ordeal.  Can't stand the stuff ever since then.

The other drink I have a major problem with is peach schnapps.  For a while it was hugely popular and everyone was drinking it.  Friends had a new year's party and there were an awful lot of bottles of the stuff, which myself and a couple of others basically tried to get through without any outside assistance.  Now just the smell of something peachy, doesn't even have to be peach schnapps, now makes my stomach do cartwheels.
 Sipping Jagermeister  Sad You must have been sick as a dog afterwards. I remember years ago I was seeing a dangerous lunatic if a lad. He was off his head on the stuff and punched a hole in my kitchen wall. I threw his remaining jager in to a gorgeous vase I had. Ahhhh memories  Big Grin

I used to drink peach schnapps in college. Sickeningly sweet stuff. Along with the smirnoff ices it was my "starter" drink.