A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 (/showthread.php?tid=412)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Homer J. Fong - 12-12-2022

I'm gonna vote for Band Aid.

I get where @nothing is coming from, Band Aid definitely hasn't aged well. But I think the intention was good. And it's a great tune.

I've grown to like Stay Another Day more than I used to, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a Christmas song! 😛

But in the true spirit of Christmas, we should all remember to celebrate the most important thing: Bohemian Rhapshitty didn't win! 😁

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Declan A Walsh - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 04:31 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: I'm gonna vote for Band Aid.

I get where @nothing is coming from, Band Aid definitely hasn't aged well. But I think the intention was good. And it's a great tune.

I've grown to like Stay Another Day more than I used to, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a Christmas song! 😛

But in the true spirit of Christmas, we should all remember to celebrate the most important thing: Bohemian Rhapshitty didn't win! 😁

Leaving aside those awful comments about Bohemian Rhapsody, it should be noted that when it hit Number 1 in the 1990s it was part of a double A-Side. The other song (These Are The Days of Our Lives) got most of the airplay at the time, certainly on the tv. This song gave us Freddie Mercury's last video with Queen before he died. It was largely written by Roger Taylor.

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - E.N. - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 04:31 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: I've grown to like Stay Another Day more than I used to, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a Christmas song! 😛
But the competition is best Christmas number one, not best Christmas song Tongue

I vote E17. They may be east, but it's still London, innit Wink

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - DejaBoo - 12-12-2022

Band Aid

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Necro - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 04:16 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: As regards the musical merit of the different Band Aids, here is what I think:
Band Aid 1 (1984) was the best, and of course it's the version that gets by far the most airplay.
Band Aid 2 (1989) is often overlooked but I think it was pretty good too. Fun fact: Two members of Banarama (Sara Dallin and Karen Woodward) were the only singers on Band Aid 2 that also sang on Band Aid 1!
Band Aid 20 (2004) was okay. It did get quite a bit of airplay for a while after it came out, but not recently. The percussion section at the end was a bit annoying. Fun fact: Bono was the only singer on this that was also on Band Aid 1!
Band Aid 30 (2014) was awful, and I don't think it has been played on the airwaves since it departed the charts!
Fun Facts: Both Bono and Chris Martin had been involved as singers with Band Aid 20 as well! Bono is the only person to have sung on three versions: 1, 20 and 30!

I presume it was the 2004 version where Justin Hawkins of The Darkness made everyone mad by trying to claim Bono's lines beforehand Tongue

Also had that weird Dizzee Rascal rap tossed in the middle iirc. Yeah let's forget that ever happened too!

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - jp liz v1 - 12-12-2022

I didn't realise there was 4 versions @Declan A Walsh thought just 3

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Spears - 12-12-2022

Ah Shyte, I missed the whole god damn game. Finals already  Cry

Vote submitted.

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Edser - 12-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 06:53 PM)DejaBoo Wrote:
(11-12-2022, 05:14 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: Same!

I cannot stand that East 17 song - that's my reasoning for voting for The Flying Pickets' Only You! I don't think it should have got this far but it keeps being matched against bad songs! The second match was a tough call, but Christmas won out in the end!
I understand... I have to say, I don't know any of the songs won out. It's been like picking the lesser of two bad songs all the way.

As Declan and DejaBoo said, a lot of these I've been voting for the lesser of the two songs.

And continuing in that vein I'll go for - Band Aid 

[Image: shakin-stevens-christmas.gif]

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Kol - 12-12-2022

FoGs greatest UK Xmas No. 1 is 

Band Aid - Do They Know Its Christmas?

A worthy winner and a great tune regardless of its production

Thanks everyone for playing. I will be back with more games in the new year including a new season of The Fog Factor. Hope to see you then

East 17 - Stay Another Day (1994)510Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984)
NecroAri
ENDeclan
ShaneLiz
RsoapsNeo
nothingJluv
Mutleyboo
Homer
Deja
Spears
Edser

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Irish Aris - 12-12-2022

Thank you for organising this Kol.

Missed the final vote, very HAPPY to see Band Aid winning!!

Merry Christmas everyone, Greetings from Athens, Greece!!

Thanks @Kol

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Jluv - 12-12-2022

Thanks @Kol for this and all the games you've hosted this year...

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - ari101 - 12-12-2022

Thanks Kol, this was good fun, some decent songs but also a lot of chaff 🤣

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Declan A Walsh - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 09:55 PM)Jluv Wrote: Thanks @Kol for this and all the games you've hosted this year...

Hear hear. Thanks very much @Kol

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Mutleyboo - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 04:31 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: But in the true spirit of Christmas, we should all remember to celebrate the most important thing: Bohemian Rhapshitty didn't win! 😁
Blasphemy! 😲

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - E.N. - 12-12-2022

[Image: simpsons-kent.gif]

But thanks for all the organisation Kol 🤣

Ah no. Wouldn't be my choice, but it's a worthy winner, can't complain too much

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - ShaneU - 13-12-2022

Would have picked 20 other Christmas songs over these but C'est La Vie, thanks for running Kol

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Edser - 13-12-2022

Thanks for running @Kol , great game.

It always seems like a lot work posting loads of videos & lnks

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Kol - 13-12-2022

(13-12-2022, 12:19 AM)Edser Wrote: Thanks for running @Kol , great game.

It always seems like a lot work posting loads of videos & lnks

There is a bit of work involved setting it up initially though then it is just copy and paste. Takes about 15 mins each morning to count the votes and create the next post which gets quicker as the rounds go on. It is less work than the live voting we used to do and I think the daily voting suits everyone better even if it takes away some of the excitement

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - DejaBoo - 13-12-2022

Thanks kol, great work!

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - RSOAPS - 15-12-2022

Do we think it's too late to get this to #1 for this year? It was at #3 there last week

I love the idea of all the radio stations playing the Xmas #1 with the opening lyrics

"I heard Jesus did Cocaine on a night out"

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Homer J. Fong - 15-12-2022

Many thanks for running @Kol .

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Leg End Reject - 16-12-2022

I'm sorry I missed this but I'm delighted the best ever Christmas song won. 😁

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Declan A Walsh - 23-12-2022

Every year various Christmas tunes get re-released. As of last week, Wham's Last Christmas has been at Number 1 in the UK. If it is at Number 1 from today, it will be the Christmas Day Number 1 for 2022. Not only that, it has finally reached Number 1 in the UK Charts, something it failed to do back in 1984, as it was stuck at Number 2 behind Band Aid. Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas is stuck in the lower end of the Top Twenty this time!

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - ShaneU - 23-12-2022

Ladbaby number one again with this absolute shite. Beatles record is broken

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Homer J. Fong - 24-12-2022

Should've been THIS

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - E.N. - 24-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 11:27 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Ladbaby number one again with this absolute shite. Beatles record is broken
You have to wonder if humanity has run its course. Maybe it's time to give the cockroaches a go

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Necro - 24-12-2022

(24-12-2022, 09:22 AM)E.N. Wrote:
(23-12-2022, 11:27 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Ladbaby number one again with this absolute shite. Beatles record is broken
You have to wonder if humanity has run its course. Maybe it's time to give the cockroaches a go

Definitely could do with a winter bomb cyclone taking out LadBaby.

RE: FoGs Greatest UK Xmas No. 1 - Declan A Walsh - 26-12-2022

(23-12-2022, 06:25 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: Every year various Christmas tunes get re-released. As of last week, Wham's Last Christmas has been at Number 1 in the UK. If it is at Number 1 from today, it will be the Christmas Day Number 1 for 2022. Not only that, it has finally reached Number 1 in the UK Charts, something it failed to do back in 1984, as it was stuck at Number 2 behind Band Aid. Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas is stuck in the lower end of the Top Twenty this time!

Wham! just missed out on the Christmas Number 1 - much closer than 1984, because it actually got to Number 1 this time! Beaten to the coveted Christmas Day Number 1 spot this time by a new version of Do they Know It's Christmas! History repeating itself? Sort of. Ladbaby's Food Aid is actually their best one to date, but that is only relative to their previous efforts! That is some record for Christmas Day Number 1s by Ladbaby at tis stage!