A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion (/showthread.php?tid=279)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - Kol - 27-03-2022

In 5th place with 7 points is -
SpoilerShow Content

We Need To Talk About Kevin
Dir: Lynne Ramsay

Heard of it - Yes
Seen it - No

My Rating: 6.5  IMDB Rating: 7.5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242460/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

[Image: Kevin-poster.jpg]

Synopsis [Courtesy of IMDB]

Kevin's mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly dangerous things he says and does as he grows up. But Kevin is just getting started, and his final act will be beyond anything anyone imagined.

Review

Strange movie in the way it was filmed. It is mostly told in flashbacks in the  buildup to a horrific event which explains where the characters are now. So really the movie relies heavily on this event. Does it deliver, yeah kind of. If it didn't it would have left the previous hour and a half pointless. The acting was good and the pacing was okay for a long enough movie. Nothing really negative other than another drama which was draining on me at this stage. Good pick.

Trivia

Shot in 30 days.

In 4th place with 8 points is -
SpoilerShow Content

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 2017
Dir: Martin McDonagh

Heard of it - Yes
Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 6.5  IMDB Rating: 8.1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5027774/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

[Image: MV5BMjI0ODcxNzM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzIw...@._V1_.jpg]

A mother personally challenges the local authorities to solve her daughter's murder when they fail to catch the culprit.

Review

There have been a few movies in this contest now with Francis McDormand and to be honest, I don’t really like her. Now that's not to say she is not a great actor but a reflection of my taste. That aside, there are a number of great performances in this movie. Harelson and especially Rockwell, stole the show for me. The plot itself is just fine, the location is nice, and the performances are fine. Nothing really bad to say about the movie. I think it is slightly overrated but that’s about it. The only reason I can explain why it didn’t score higher is probably the genre. I don’t watch too many dramas and there were quite a few nominated so I guess I was getting fed up with them by the time I watched this. That might seem unfair but I don’t think I would have scored it any higher regardless. A decent pick but maybe also a bit obvious.

Trivia

Production staff welcomed locals to watch outdoor scenes being filmed at public locations, provided they were not disruptive. Each shooting day, crowds would form to watch the proceedings, often upwards of one hundred people. During breaks in shooting, the actors and actresses would approach the crowds to sign autographs and take pictures.

In 3rd place with 9 points is -
SpoilerShow Content

Black Swan 2010
Dir: Darren Aronofsky

Heard of it - Yes
Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 7  IMDB Rating: 8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

[Image: MV5BNzY2NzI4OTE5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjMy...@._V1_.jpg]

A committed dancer struggles to maintain her sanity after winning the lead role in a production of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake".

Review

Had seen this one before, back when it was released and from memory, it was good. I might have been less impressed by the rewatch. Good performances all round. Again, a movie where a lot of work was put into the production and from the actors. The build up to the finale seemed better than the finale itself. I’m not really sure what I was expecting though it seemed to be missing something that could have placed this one a little higher. Nothing really negative otherwise to say, everything is done adequately. The acting was probably the high point here. Another good pick.

Trivia

Darren Aronofsky told journalist Kim Masters in a radio interview (KCRW's "The Business" broadcast February 14, 2011) that Natalie Portman not only trained for a year as a dancer to prepare for the role, but paid for the the training out of her own pocket until the film found investors. Aronofsky attributed the film getting made at all to Portman's dedication and enthusiasm.

13 Assassins 2010
Dir: Takashi Miike

Heard of it - No
Seen it - No

My Rating: 7.5  IMDB Rating: 7.5

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1436045/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

[Image: MV5BODg3MTYwODY3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk2...@._V1_.jpg]

A group of assassins come together for a suicide mission to kill an evil lord.

Review

Well I never heard of this movie, though I think I have heard of the original though I never saw it either. Great movie, awesome pick. I don’t watch Japanese movies, that’s not to say I never watched any. They really don’t hold back when it comes to telling a story displaying it on screen. There were a few difficult to watch scenes here though I think they were needed to convey the emotion for the viewer. You really want the assassins to succeed and make the antagonist suffer. The final battle was epic, and must have lasted a quarter of the movie's runtime if not more. I did think at one point though that it was Commandoesque. So few against so many. Yeah this is a great movie, watch this one if you get a chance, great pick.

Trivia

The 13 assassins plan to attack Matsudaira Naritsugu while his journeying to Edo (the old name for Tokyo). In the Edo period the lords of Japan had to travel and stay in Edo. This was called Sankin-kotai, or official journey. The lords stayed to show their loyalty to the shogun and the system helped the shogun keep tabs on the lords.

Manchester By The Sea 2016
Dir: Kenneth Lonergan

Heard of it - Yes
Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 7.5  IMDB Rating: 7.8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034228/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

[Image: MV5BMTYxMjk0NDg4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcy...@._V1_.jpg]

A depressed uncle is asked to take care of his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies.

Review

I saw this movie partially before. I do remember it being good. I do think that Cassey Afflect seems to play the same boring character in every movie I’ve seen him in. (Please suggest one where he is different Big Grin) That is not a bad thing in this movie though as it suits his character. I can’t tell how many emotions I felt watching this. There was horrific, anger, sadness to name a few. Not many movies do that to me. I won’t go into specifics, but if you have seen it you will know what I mean. One thing I found odd was how little screen time Michelle Williams had (I Googled and it is around 11 minutes) and this gave her second billing and an Oscar nomination. Everyone in this put in great performances, nothing really to say bad about this movie, a tough watch at times though really good. Brilliant pick.

Trivia

The town was called Manchester until 1989, when resident Edward Corley led a highly controversial campaign to formally change its name to Manchester-by-the-Sea. The action was passed by the state legislature that year.

Congrats to @Diamonds of Frost for topping this rounds. Here are the standings with just the bonus round left

Player70s80s90s00s10sBonusTotal
Frosty97981144
Purgative691011238
Liz51169536
Purple28810432
Sawduck111014632
Spears7547932
Shane102551032
Necro8472324
Aris4336723
Rebe3623822
Rsoapy11111115

The bonus points are

5 for the best overall movie

2 for the movie that surprised me the most in each round

Surprise movies

70s -  Blue Soldier - Purgative

80s - Near Dark - Sawduck

90s - As good as it gets - Purgative

00s - legally Blonde - Spears

10s - 13 Assassins - Shane

The best overall movie was

Back to the future - Liz

Congrats to @Diamonds of Frost the winner of Movie Kolrus Battle of the Decades

Thanks everyone for playing, see you next time

Player70s80s90s00s10sBonusTotal
Frosty97981144
Purgative6910112442
Liz511695541
Sawduck1110146133
Spears75479133
Shane1025510133
Purple28810432
Necro8472324
Aris4336723
Rebe3623822
Rsoapy11111115

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - RSOAPS - 27-03-2022

@Kol , I have only one thing to say...

[Image: giphy.gif]

In all seriousness though, nice reveal, fair play, judging a Movie Walrus is a difficult and lengthy task... Hope you discovered some good films.

Congrats on the victory @Diamonds of Frost

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - Irish Aris - 27-03-2022

Only catching up now.
Kol, thank you very much for another great Walrus!!!
Glad I didn't finish last as our tastes look to be quite different. For example, both The Pianist and Manchester By The Sea would have scored poorly with me.
Overall though some amazing films!!

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - jp liz v1 - 27-03-2022

Congrats @Diamonds of Frost

I am happy with 3rd

Thank You @Kol

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - Spears - 31-03-2022

Bit late to the party but thanks for the reveal @Kol   Shy

Totally forgot about this walrus. 

And surprised that my own submissions went down well enough with you.

Legally Blonde wouldn't be something I'd rave about myself, but I'm surprised by how I actually enjoyed it.

Total Recall was a good call from you Kol, I love that movie Big Grin

Congrats on the win @Diamonds of Frost  Heart

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - Spears - 31-03-2022

Also, it was really nice to see @Purgative 's name pop up again.

I miss his posts..

RE: Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Conclusion - Sawduck - 01-04-2022

Congrats Diamonds and cheers to Kol for running this, it's been awhile since we've had one of these walrus games.

Some really interesting movies here especially 13 Assassins, I've heard it's great I'll have to watch it sometime