A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Today I Learned - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Today I Learned (/showthread.php?tid=219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Today I Learned - E.N. - 31-03-2022

(31-03-2022, 11:12 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(31-03-2022, 08:42 PM)E.N. Wrote: My wife told me that if I ever shave my beard off, she would punch me in the face! 😜

I grew a beard for the first time a few years back when I was recovering from surgery.  I shaved it off after a while, at which point Toto decided that I looked weird without it.  I've since grown it back, and have come to the realisation that I'm a bit like Shane Lowry - my face doesn't suit me without a beard.
I'm exactly the same, I see old photos of myself now and I look so weird without it. Mind you, I've had it for about 15 years now, I think!

RE: Today I Learned - DejaBoo - 01-04-2022

(31-03-2022, 11:21 PM)E.N. Wrote: I'm exactly the same, I see old photos of myself now and I look so weird without it. Mind you, I've had it for about 15 years now, I think!
Its been growing for 15 years?  shock

Maybe I shoullda painted you like this...

[Image: 50267733132_afe6b15431_b.jpg]

RE: Today I Learned - E.N. - 01-04-2022

(01-04-2022, 12:31 AM)DejaBoo Wrote: Its been growing for 15 years?  shock

Maybe I shoullda painted you like this...
It is starting to go grey as well 😬
Not that impressive though! I keep it reasonably well trimmed

RE: Today I Learned - lorcand1990 - 01-04-2022

TIL that refried beans are not beans that have bean fried twice.. The term comes from the spanish word 'refritos', which roughly translates into 'well fried', so they are well fried beans

RE: Today I Learned - DejaBoo - 05-04-2022

TIL what the "mean reds" are.. . I don't think the name exactly matches the meaning, but it's what I learned after watchng Breakfast at Tiffanys last night.

RE: Today I Learned - DejaBoo - 05-04-2022

...and tomorrow I shall learn what sheep rustling is all about Big Grin

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 07-04-2022

til that when John Logie Baird invented the television it was originally meant to be a device for seeing and communicating with spirits!

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 08-04-2022

TIL that apparently night time is the optimal time to put on deodorant! 🤔

RE: Today I Learned - Trigger - 14-04-2022

TIL you can't stand backwards on a stairs

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 14-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 12:43 AM)Trigger Wrote: TIL you can't stand backwards on a stairs

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: Today I Learned - Neowise - 14-04-2022

what?

explain, cause i don't understand what you learned.

(14-04-2022, 12:56 AM)Neowise Wrote:
what?

You can stand facing up or facing down, but neither are backwards. You can walk backwards up or down, but not stand.

(14-04-2022, 12:58 AM)nothing Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 12:56 AM)Neowise Wrote: what?

You can stand facing up or facing down, but neither are backwards. You can walk backwards up or down, but not stand.

so, why include 'on a stairs' ?

you can't stand backwards should be enough for every situation, why then add a singualar situation to it?

it's like saying, you can't eat molten lava in an elevator.

RE: Today I Learned - Leg End Reject - 14-04-2022

(08-04-2022, 09:00 PM)nothing Wrote: TIL that apparently night time is the optimal time to put on deodorant! 🤔
It gives an antiperspirant time to constrict your sweat pores when you're inactive and is therefore more effective. Try showering and applying antiperspirant at night versus the morning and do a sniff test the next evening.

Going to bed after a shower rather than after a day of activity results in fresher bed clothes too. Unfortunately, there's bedhead as a result!

RE: Today I Learned - Leg End Reject - 14-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 01:05 AM)Neowise Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 12:58 AM)nothing Wrote: You can stand facing up or facing down, but neither are backwards. You can walk backwards up or down, but not stand.

so, why include 'on a stairs' ?

you can't stand backwards should be enough for every situation, why then add a singualar situation to it?

If you're at the top of the stairs you face towards the bottom walking down, if you're at the bottom you face towards the top going up. You are not facing backwards for either.

I didn't get it until I read the post by @nothing.

If you fall down the stairs the direction you face is random. I learnt that over several years. Sober, may I add. 😳😲😂

(14-04-2022, 02:31 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 01:05 AM)Neowise Wrote: so, why include 'on a stairs' ?

If you're at the top of the stairs you face towards the bottom walking down, if you're at the bottom you face towards the top going up. You are not facing backwards for either.

If you fall down the stairs the direction you face is random. I learnt that over several years. Sober, may I add. 😳😲😂

ah, i get you now.

So the 'standing backwards' he was referring to would work on an escalator or travelator, if you were standing facing in the direction opposite to the motion.

RE: Today I Learned - Trigger - 14-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 02:20 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 02:31 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote: If you're at the top of the stairs you face towards the bottom walking down, if you're at the bottom you face towards the top going up. You are not facing backwards for either.

ah, i get you now.

So the 'standing backwards' he was referring to would work on an escalator or travelator, if you were standing facing in the direction opposite to the motion.

Pretty much.. I only used stairs as I had seen it in a tweet. It's pretty open and there is many examples of other places areas that you can't stand backwards in. Like, you can't stand backwards in a field, but if there was a race track on that field and you were to be running  in one direction only, but facing the other, you would be deemed as standing backwards.

RE: Today I Learned - dawg - 14-04-2022

This reminds me ....

So what goes up the chimney down but not down the chimney up ?

(14-04-2022, 08:44 PM)dawg Wrote: This reminds me ....

An umbrella?

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 14-04-2022

That stairs thing reminded me of a similar one: if you stand on the North Pole and start walking, it doesn't matter which direction you choose, you will always be walking south. And vice versa for the South Pole.

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 15-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 08:57 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: That stairs thing reminded me of a similar one: if you stand on the North Pole and start walking, it doesn't matter which direction you choose, you will always be walking south. And vice versa for the South Pole.
Untill you are walking north

RE: Today I Learned - Leg End Reject - 15-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 08:44 PM)dawg Wrote: This reminds me ....

The flue?

Santa? 😂

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 14-05-2022

til that the order 'fall back' that is always shouted in battle scenes in a war movie doesn't exist in real life. If all the soldiers just turned on their heel and legged it, it would be chaos.

RE: Today I Learned - Neowise - 19-05-2022

Today i learned i can take a phone photo thorough a pair of binoculars.

It’s not easy, but the results are way better than phone alone.

[Image: d8DaLtL.jpg]

[Image: K9PpjaC.jpg]

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 03-06-2022

TIL a lot at the national print museum so I'd highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in printing of books, newspapers etc, they have an original proclamation and there's a fascinating story behind it!

RE: Today I Learned - dawg - 03-06-2022

@nothing is that the one in the old Beggars Bush barracks ?

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 03-06-2022

(03-06-2022, 10:56 PM)dawg Wrote: @nothing is that the one in the old Beggars Bush barracks ?

That's the one! Had a lovely breakfast in there, it was fairly quiet, it's free, there's no official guided tours at the moment but the minute you get one of the staff at talking it may as well be, lovely bunch.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 04-06-2022

til the great pyramid at Giza was the tallest structure in the world until they built the Eiffel Tower.

RE: Today I Learned - Trigger - 04-06-2022

(04-06-2022, 07:44 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til the great pyramid at Giza was the tallest structure in the world until they built the Eiffel Tower.

Always been fascinated by the great pyramid, Graham Hancock video below explaining the precision etc is brilliant, 

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 04-06-2022

(04-06-2022, 09:25 AM)Trigger Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 07:44 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til the great pyramid at Giza was the tallest structure in the world until they built the Eiffel Tower.

Always been fascinated by the great pyramid, Graham Hancock video below explaining the precision etc is brilliant, 

Amazing how much information was designed and built into it there is probably more hidden away that we haven't worked out yet. The ancient Greeks took the credit for many things that were already known by the pyramid designers.
Feckin Greeks! Big Grin
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F5a6h...f=1&nofb=1]

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 10-07-2022

TIL that John Major the ex PM used to be a trapeze artist in the circus!

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: TIL that John Major the ex PM used to be a trapeze artist in the circus!

That's.... Nuts!

RE: Today I Learned - Zaph - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: TIL that John Major the ex PM used to be a trapeze artist in the circus!

And Penny Mordaunt, who's a candidate to replace Boris Johnson, was once a magician's assistant.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 07:48 PM)Zaph Wrote:

And Penny Mordaunt, who's a candidate to replace Boris Johnson, was once a magician's assistant.
Well they've already had Bozo the clown, so why not? Big Grin

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 10-07-2022

John majors father was a trapeze artist bytvhe was as well

Can I get a source please

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 12-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 11:59 PM)Tigger Wrote: John majors father was a trapeze artist bytvhe was as well

Can I get a source please
His brother was talking about it on a chat show.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 20-08-2022

TIL that ABBA got their name by taking the initials from all their first names.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 28-08-2022

til that Coney Island in America is named after the original one in Sligo.

RE: Today I Learned - Zaph - 29-08-2022

(28-08-2022, 11:11 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that Coney Island in America is named after the original one in Sligo.

TIL that there's a Coney Island in Sligo Big Grin

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 09-10-2022

til that one car would take a week to build before Henry Ford came along with the production line. He got it down to 90 minutes.