A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Today I Learned - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Today I Learned (/showthread.php?tid=219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Today I Learned - DejaBoo - 16-02-2022

TIL olympic ice skaters wear tights in performance. I alawys though they were bare legged.. Coooool, glad they have some leg coverage with those skimpy looking outfits.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 16-02-2022

til that some banks have height charts inside the doors so if they get robbed they can tell the exact height of the robbers from the cctv.

RE: Today I Learned - DejaBoo - 16-02-2022

(16-02-2022, 09:28 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that some banks have height charts inside the doors so if they get robbed they can tell the exact height of the robbers from the cctv.
Last month I learnt that  professinoal bankers actually need visual reminders to lock the vault. There is a BIG note taped to the bankers side of the door (that clients can clearly view when the inner door is opened and the banker walks through after depositing your funds.)

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 17-02-2022

(16-02-2022, 09:28 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that some banks have height charts inside the doors so if they get robbed they can tell the exact height of the robbers from the cctv.
Citation needed

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 18-02-2022

See for yourself: next time you are in the credit union have a goo at the doors on your way out. There is a discreet height chart on either side measured off in 6 inch intervals.

RE: Today I Learned - dawg - 19-02-2022

TIL about octopus balls and all sorts of other slightly strange things that they eat in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ufTv5F9yEo

RE: Today I Learned - osh - 19-02-2022

This was new to me, might be well known

RE: Today I Learned - Leg End Reject - 19-02-2022

(19-02-2022, 12:45 AM)osh Wrote: This was new to me, might be well known
[Image: giphy.webp?cid=82a1493bblhsip7zc5r5v82yv....webp&ct=g]

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 20-02-2022

(19-02-2022, 12:45 AM)osh Wrote: This was new to me, might be well known
its multiply the two numbers and knock off two decima; places. 
so 17 % of 22 is just 17*22/100 = 3.74?

so yeah 25 * 8 is 8*25 but i think the thing here is the known fraction 25 being 1/4

in my head all sub 50 percentages are known fraction sso it makes no difference

8 is 1 12and a hafth 16 is one 6 an 2/3rds is 17 is 1 5.9this 

i think Keith  thinks like this as well, any of the rest of you so it?#

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 20-02-2022

(18-02-2022, 02:40 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: See for yourself: next time you are in the credit union have a goo at the doors on your way out. There is a discreet height chart on either side measured off in 6 inch intervals.
not just banks the fugging things are everywhere.
it cannot be unseen

RE: Today I Learned - ari101 - 21-02-2022

TIL that some people think 'genres' is spelled 'jaundras' 😅 Now my spelling and grammar is mediocre (and let's not talk about my typing 😉) but that one threw me for a loop 😁

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 25-02-2022

TIL that some of the top scientists of the day were saying that a powered human flight was impossible right up until the Wright brothers did it. Then the scientists said 'oh but he will never be able to do it again with a passenger'.  Dodgy

RE: Today I Learned - E.N. - 25-02-2022

(25-02-2022, 09:59 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: TIL that some of the top scientists of the day were saying that a powered human flight was impossible right up until the Wright brothers did it. Then the scientists said 'oh but he will never be able to do it again with a passenger'.  Dodgy
Many, many scientists had been working on it beforehand. I thought most believed it possible, just they thought that it was too complex for a couple of bike salesmen with no money and no engineering background

RE: Today I Learned - dawg - 25-02-2022

(25-02-2022, 09:59 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: TIL that some of the top scientists of the day were saying that a powered human flight was impossible right up until the Wright brothers did it. Then the scientists said 'oh but he will never be able to do it again with a passenger'.  Dodgy

This sort of thing crops up again and again

Towards the end of his life Lord Kelvin ( he of 'degrees Kelvin' etc ) came out with
"There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

A broadly similar thing came up in recent times at a US Senate subcommittee hearing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0-SP-BnCQ  ( Its long and tedious )
( When I came across this I had to check that the video wasnt a parody and was in fact a genuine recording.)

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 26-02-2022

(25-02-2022, 09:59 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: TIL that some of the top scientists of the day were saying that a powered human flight was impossible right up until the Wright brothers did it. Then the scientists said 'oh but he will never be able to do it again with a passenger'. 
I read atht as human powered not powered human and got confussed

Science 100 years ago was quite unsophisticated. Modern scientific theory is far more accurate and its hyper little brother engineering no longer beats it like it used to.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 12:59 AM)Tigger Wrote:
(25-02-2022, 09:59 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: TIL that some of the top scientists of the day were saying that a powered human flight was impossible right up until the Wright brothers did it. Then the scientists said 'oh but he will never be able to do it again with a passenger'. 
I read atht as human powered not powered human and got confussed

Science 100 years ago was quite unsophisticated. Modern scientific theory is far more accurate and its hyper little brother engineering no longer beats it like it used to.
I think we need another big war to give engineering a boost. (just kidding)
WW2 and the cold war made a lot of advancements, new technology always starts out as weapons and then they start looking for other applications.
It's just like the Wright brothers story all over again, some of the best and brightest pre WW2 thought that space travel was centuries or thousands of years in the future and the spaceships would need to be enormous to have enough power to break orbit.
And rockets were seen as a waste of time until WW2 kicked off. Look up podcasts about Jack Parsons for good entertainment, he was sort of the evolution of the Wright brothers, he pioneered solid state rocket fuel but he was then airbrushed out of history because he had a VERY weird lifestyle.
https://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/aerospace-engineering/rocketry/jack-parsons-occult-roots-jpl/

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 03:09 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote:
(26-02-2022, 12:59 AM)Tigger Wrote: I read atht as human powered not powered human and got confussed

I think we need another big war to give engineering a boost. (just kidding)
WW2 and the cold war made a lot of advancements, new technology always starts out as weapons and then they start looking for other applications.
It's just like the Wright brothers story all over again, some of the best and brightest pre WW2 thought that space travel was centuries or thousands of years in the future and the spaceships would need to be enormous to have enough power to break orbit.
And rockets were seen as a waste of time until WW2 kicked off. Look up podcasts about Jack Parsons for good entertainment, he was sort of the evolution of the Wright brothers, he pioneered solid state rocket fuel but he was then airbrushed out of history because he had a VERY weird lifestyle.
https://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/aerospace-engineering/rocketry/jack-parsons-occult-roots-jpl/
Engineers with no accountants can do amazing things that scientists are far to busy trying to model. I'm dual discipline applied science and engineering and it still happens when a more agribebgineer comes up with a more rustic solution that I remember fail many times untill it's perfect is the best and fastest way to get new things done.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 26-02-2022

til that unlike most predators that are capable of taking down a human, big cats and the like, who go for the kill as quickly and cleanly as possible, a bear will often start eating you while you are still alive! shock Sick

RE: Today I Learned - Tigger - 01-03-2022

(26-02-2022, 11:57 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that unlike most predators that are capable of taking down a human, big cats and the like, who go for the kill as quickly and cleanly as possible, a bear will often start eating you while you are still alive! shock Sick
Like in that titanic sequel

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 10-03-2022

til that Angela Landsbury and Charles Manson used to be friends!
What the shock
[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2F38.media.tumblr.com%2F89...f=1&nofb=1]

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 10-03-2022

(10-03-2022, 04:35 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that Angela Landsbury and Charles Manson used to be friends!
What the shock
[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2F38.media.tumblr.com%2F89...f=1&nofb=1]

Woah! Though apparently he was very charming

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 11-03-2022

(10-03-2022, 04:45 PM)nothing Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 04:35 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that Angela Landsbury and Charles Manson used to be friends!
What the shock

Woah! Though apparently he was very charming
Yes but a nasty piece of work too. He was a pimp who would pick up young runaway girls and then go up and down the west coast prostituting them.
Lots of very famous people were connected to him like Neil Young, Dennis Wilson, Steve McQueen and Cary Grant. Possibly most of them knew him because he was a drug dealer too and they were his clients, either that or for the girls.
Here is another til that made me go
[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%...f=1&nofb=1]
The gun that was used in two of the Manson family murders once belonged to Ronald Reagan!

edit: My apologies that was actually a YIL. Smile

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 11-03-2022

One more Charles Manson til, sorry for spamming the thread.
He wasn't a hippie. In fact he was quoted as saying that he hated them!
The authorities wanted to use the murders to demonise the whole hippie movement and communal living so when he was in custody waiting for his trial, the prison staff wouldn't let him have a razor to shave or let him get a haircut so that he would look like a typical hippie in court by the time his case came up.

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 11-03-2022

You're not spamming at all!

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 12-03-2022

til that lilly flowers are poisonous to cats and dogs. You shouldn't have them in your house if you have a pet, even the pollen can make them very ill.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 26-03-2022

til that gardai are finally allowed to have beards when I saw one who looked like Conor McGregor.

RE: Today I Learned - Butty Brennan - 30-03-2022

til that you are not supposed to use your phone outside during a thunderstorm, it increases your chances of being struck by lightning!

RE: Today I Learned - Neowise - 31-03-2022

(30-03-2022, 10:24 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that you are not supposed to use your phone outside during a thunderstorm, it increases your chances of being struck by lightning!

In the same way as climbing a tree increases your chances?

RE: Today I Learned - Leg End Reject - 31-03-2022

(26-03-2022, 09:50 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that gardai are finally allowed to have beards when I saw one who looked like Conor McGregor.
Still not fly enlightened it seems. It has to be a full beard (if of course their partners allow them to have one 🙄) or clean shaven.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0331/1289625-garda-beards-warning/

RE: Today I Learned - Necro - 31-03-2022

(31-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(26-03-2022, 09:50 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: til that gardai are finally allowed to have beards when I saw one who looked like Conor McGregor.
Still not fly enlightened it seems. It has to be a full beard (if of course their partners allow them to have one 🙄) or clean shaven.

I was reading that. I thought the comment about some of them looking like a badly watered lawn in a heatwave was class. And very accurate 😂

Ive no issue with facial hair at all but some fellas (including some of my mates) have tufts of bum fluff protuding from everywhere and no proper growth, if you can't grow a proper beard/goatee etc then just don't do it at all. Big Grin

RE: Today I Learned - Leg End Reject - 31-03-2022

(31-03-2022, 07:57 PM)Necro Wrote:
(31-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Still not fly enlightened it seems. It has to be a full beard (if of course their partners allow them to have one 🙄) or clean shaven.

I was reading that. I thought the comment about some of them looking like a badly watered lawn in a heatwave was class. And very accurate 😂

Ive no issue with facial hair at all but some fellas (including some of my mates) have tufts of bum fluff protuding from everywhere and no proper growth, if you can't grow a proper beard/goatee etc then just don't do it at all. Big Grin
Admit it, you're not allowed. 😂😂

RE: Today I Learned - Necro - 31-03-2022

(31-03-2022, 08:03 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(31-03-2022, 07:57 PM)Necro Wrote: I was reading that. I thought the comment about some of them looking like a badly watered lawn in a heatwave was class. And very accurate 😂

Admit it, you're not allowed. 😂😂

I wouldn't say not allowed more that it's frowned upon  Big Grin

RE: Today I Learned - E.N. - 31-03-2022

(31-03-2022, 08:36 PM)Necro Wrote:
(31-03-2022, 08:03 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Admit it, you're not allowed. 😂😂

I wouldn't say not allowed more that it's frowned upon  Big Grin
My wife told me that if I ever shave my beard off, she would punch me in the face! 😜

RE: Today I Learned - nothing - 31-03-2022

@nothing

Yep, makes sense Tongue

pac certainly seems like that lines up

RE: Today I Learned - Kol - 31-03-2022

Finished my Nasuni 4 day training course today, apparently I'm now a Nasuni qualified professional.

Thats my til. Big Grin

(31-03-2022, 09:18 PM)Kol Wrote: Finished my Nasuni 4 day training course today, apparently I'm now a Nasuni qualified professional.

Thats my til. Big Grin
I would say "today I learned what Nasuni is" but I googled it and still don't really understand Tongue

(31-03-2022, 09:40 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(31-03-2022, 09:18 PM)Kol Wrote: Finished my Nasuni 4 day training course today, apparently I'm now a Nasuni qualified professional.

Thats my til. Big Grin
I would say "today I learned what Nasuni is" but I googled it and still don't really understand Tongue

I'm assuming it's some form of fancy ninja skills and no one will convince me otherwise

RE: Today I Learned - Zaph - 31-03-2022

(31-03-2022, 08:42 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(31-03-2022, 08:36 PM)Necro Wrote: I wouldn't say not allowed more that it's frowned upon  Big Grin
My wife told me that if I ever shave my beard off, she would punch me in the face! 😜

I grew a beard for the first time a few years back when I was recovering from surgery.  I shaved it off after a while, at which point Toto decided that I looked weird without it.  I've since grown it back, and have come to the realisation that I'm a bit like Shane Lowry - my face doesn't suit me without a beard.