A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Site Housekeeping - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Feedback (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Site Feedback (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Site Housekeeping (/showthread.php?tid=2)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Site Housekeeping - Spears - 07-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 03:19 PM)Neowise Wrote: It's been needed to be corrected since the clocks went back.

Oops!  Tongue

It didn't seem to be exactly an hour off. its seemed like it was a bit more than that.

but i've changed it now, and it looks all good. 

Thanks again  Shy

Me again  Shy  

How do I get old quotes to not appear when I try to make a new post? 

I know it has been asked before but I can't remember how to fix it

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 07-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 10:33 PM)Spears Wrote: Me again  Shy  

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, where the reply box is and make sure to deselect any quoted posts
[Image: KD6Gzts.png]

RE: Site Housekeeping - Trigger - 07-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 10:33 PM)Spears Wrote: Me again  Shy  

There should be a note above(or below) the quick reply box that you can click to deselect the quotes

Edit: nevermind Neo got there first ha

Brilliant thanks guys.

I could see that message but I didn't realize i had to click over 'deselect them'. I was clicking over the start of the sentence thinking it would open an option box of something.

Sorted now thanks a lot

(07-12-2021, 10:53 PM)Spears Wrote: Brilliant thanks guys.

I could see that message but I didn't realize i had to click over 'deselect them'. I was clicking over the start of the sentence thinking it would open an option box of something.

Sorted now thanks a lot

I'll see if I can mod the colours to make it more obvious.

something like this....

[Image: dFVtv2y.png]

Okay, its more opbvious now. Now somebody who cares about styling can sugest a better colour Big Grin

[Image: 1saAzIB.png]

RE: Site Housekeeping - Leg End Reject - 07-12-2021

There's a lot of weird pink, purple and peach colours about, Neo!

yeah, maybe we just remember where to click instead......

RE: Site Housekeeping - Leg End Reject - 07-12-2021

Big Grin

Sorted now!

RE: Site Housekeeping - Spears - 16-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 11:02 PM)Neowise Wrote: I'll see if I can mod the colours to make it more obvious.

something like this....

Sorry Neo I'm just seeing your reply now. Yes that's exactly what I was thinking.

I know most people round here will know how to do it, but for newbies, I think it would be better if it were highlighted. 
Like the blue colour that appears when you hover over it. If the options were blue always, then it would be clear that one needs to be selected.

Not like me the dope, who kept clicking the start of the sentence wondering why no option was coming up.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 16-12-2021

(16-12-2021, 04:54 AM)Spears Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 11:02 PM)Neowise Wrote: I'll see if I can mod the colours to make it more obvious.

something like this....

Sorry Neo I'm just seeing your reply now. Yes that's exactly what I was thinking.

I know most people round here will know how to do it, but for newbies, I think it would be better if it were highlighted. 
Like the blue colour that appears when you hover over it. If the options were blue always, then it would be clear that one needs to be selected.

Not like me the dope, who kept clicking the start of the sentence wondering why no option was coming up.

Okay.

I think i know what to do.
Will reply back with pics if and when i achieve it.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 16-12-2021

(16-12-2021, 04:18 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(16-12-2021, 04:54 AM)Spears Wrote: Sorry Neo I'm just seeing your reply now. Yes that's exactly what I was thinking.

Okay.

I think i know what to do.
Will reply back with pics if and when i achieve it.

Okay, Done it.. with out making the rest of the site change. YAY....

[Image: 3TEDphp.png]

RE: Site Housekeeping - Spears - 17-12-2021

(16-12-2021, 05:20 PM)Neowise Wrote: Okay, Done it.. with out making the rest of the site change. YAY....

Thank you @Neowise, I think that's much more helpful!  Shy

RE: Site Housekeeping - jp liz v1 - 30-12-2021

The site was down late last night

RE: Site Housekeeping - Declan A Walsh - 05-01-2022

When I am in forumofgames, is there a way of alerting or notifying me when a new post has been added to a thread that I have contributed to? This is besides the existing alerts such as a reply to my thread or post. Or, maybe even better, is there a way of bookmarking a thread, whether I contributed to it or not, to let me know when there are new posts? I find that I am going in and out of forums here just to see if there were any additions to threads.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 01:13 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: When I am in forumofgames, is there a way of alerting or notifying me when a new post has been added to a thread that I have contributed to? This is besides the existing alerts such as a reply to my thread or post. Or, maybe even better, is there a way of bookmarking a thread, whether I contributed to it or not, to let me know when there are new posts? I find that I am going in and out of forums here just to see if there were any additions to threads.

Try this, and let me know if it is any better?

[Image: 4uFDDqg.png]

[Image: T5tziFH.png]

For this to work, you need to use a valid email address, so use change email to point it at an email address you monitor.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Declan A Walsh - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 04:02 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 01:13 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: When I am in forumofgames, is there a way of alerting or notifying me when a new post has been added to a thread that I have contributed to? This is besides the existing alerts such as a reply to my thread or post. Or, maybe even better, is there a way of bookmarking a thread, whether I contributed to it or not, to let me know when there are new posts? I find that I am going in and out of forums here just to see if there were any additions to threads.

For this to work, you need to use a valid email address, so use change email to point it at an email address you monitor.

Might take a while for me to check because I tend to use a desktop rather than a mobile for these forums, and, at the moment, I have been using my work laptop as my old trusty PC has given up the ghost - for the time being at least. This means that there are restrictions on some of the files that I can view including these attachments. It also means that I will have to view my emails on my mobile more often than normal because the PC, where I used to be inclined to look at them, is caput and I cannot access them on my business laptop. I generally would not use my emails for forum notifications, etc. As I say, when I get around to it, I will view this all on the mobile and give it a shot.

Ah well!

Thanks for that.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 04:41 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 04:02 PM)Neowise Wrote: Try this, and let me know if it is any better?

Might take a while for me to check because I tend to use a desktop rather than a mobile for these forums, and, at the moment, I have been using my work laptop as my old trusty PC has given up the ghost - for the time being at least. This means that there are restrictions on some of the files that I can view including these attachments. It also means that I will have to view my emails on my mobile more often than normal because the PC, where I used to be inclined to look at them, is caput and I cannot access them on my business laptop. I generally would not use my emails for forum notifications, etc. As I say, when I get around to it, I will view this all on the mobile and give it a shot.

Ah well!

Thanks for that.

Pics were handy, but i shall transcribe what is in the pics.

So .....

(as an example..) In this thread, scroll down to the bottom and you will see on the left four options,
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread
Add Poll to this thread

and select 'Subscribe to this thread'

On the page that link brings you to,
scroll down to "Subscribe to Thread: Site Housekeeping" and select "Instant Email Notification
You will receive instant notification via email of any replies made to this thread."
and subscribe to the thread.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Trigger - 05-01-2022

If you go into your User CP (top left of screen) your subscribed threads are in there and it will be sorted by latest posts. Works a bit like the "my threads" tab on boards

RE: Site Housekeeping - Declan A Walsh - 06-01-2022

I never noticed those options at the bottom before! I will try PM Notification - that's close to what I was looking for I think.

RE: Site Housekeeping - Declan A Walsh - 06-01-2022

...And of course Thanks is already sorted with Alerts!

RE: Site Housekeeping - Spears - 14-01-2022

(14-01-2022, 12:16 AM)Necro Wrote: If anyone wants to suggest different names for the various levels feel free to fire them into housekeeping and we can take a look. The ones there currently are the default options. And you can always have your own custom one if you go to your own User CP.

I like the idea of there being different names depending on posting history. I hadn't realised that before.

Now that I ubnderstand what "Posting Freak" means, I think it would be funny/interesting to have some have suggestions for the other levels too. 

It is a games forum after all  Cool 

Now if only I were creative enough to come up with some idea's myself  Dodgy

RE: Site Housekeeping - Leg End Reject - 14-01-2022

Get Playing!

Tipping away

Active Player

Calm Down!

Get a Life!

That's as imaginative as I get. Tongue

RE: Site Housekeeping - E.N. - 14-01-2022

Hi @Neowise

Don't know if this is an easy fix, but do you know why the following characters won't post...?

? Green

? Yellow

They're used in the wordle game that people are posting results of. They copy in fine, and show on post preview (see pic below) but then don't post, getting replaced by question marks. Is there any way to remedy that?

Cheers me dear

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 14-01-2022

(14-01-2022, 12:36 PM)E.N. Wrote: Hi @Neowise

Don't know if this is an easy fix, but do you know why the following characters won't post...?

? Green

? Yellow

They're used in the wordle game that people are posting results of. They copy in fine, and show on post preview (see pic below) but then don't post, getting replaced by question marks. Is there any way to remedy that?

Cheers me dear

How do i go about replicating this?

if i quote or edit your post, all i see is a question mark.

i went onto wordle website, but all i see is a blank 5x6 grid. more instructions are necessary.

Wordle 209 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜?⬜
??⬜⬜?
⬜⬜⬜⬜?
??⬜⬜?
??⬜??
Code:
Wordle 209 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜?⬜
??⬜⬜?
⬜⬜⬜⬜?
??⬜⬜?
??⬜??

okay. I think i found the issue.

But.. the fix is a big change. I'll need to do a site backup before doing this, so i can revert if it messes up.

RE: Site Housekeeping - E.N. - 14-01-2022

(14-01-2022, 03:33 PM)Neowise Wrote: okay. I think i found the issue.

But.. the fix is a big change. I'll need to do a site backup before doing this, so i can revert if it messes up.

Cool, glad you found it

If it's a big fix I honestly wouldn't bother. It's not a big deal, just wondered if was simple to sort

(14-01-2022, 05:23 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(14-01-2022, 03:33 PM)Neowise Wrote: okay. I think i found the issue.

Cool, glad you found it

If it's a big fix I honestly wouldn't bother. It's not a big deal, just wondered if was simple to sort

Well, its something that needs updated.
The database currently talks in utf8 and the emojis have more data attached to them than you can fit in a standard utf8 slot, so when you try to write these imojis into the db it gets lost.
The fix is to upgrade the db to utf8 + 4 bits.

The fix is simple. Just run a conversion.
But i need to insure nobody is using the db when it is being updated, and way to insure that it close the site temporarily. Need to insure that if anything goes wrong i can undo, therefore a backup is needed.
That’s all that makes it big.

Big, as in needs to be scheduled, not big difficult!

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 22-01-2022

Wordle 217 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

is it workiong now????

RE: Site Housekeeping - Trigger - 22-01-2022

Looks uber fancy now, great stuff!

RE: Site Housekeeping - nothing - 22-01-2022

Thanks @Neowise

RE: Site Housekeeping - ari101 - 22-01-2022

Unless I'm just seeing my own we also have a wider array of emojis now? This is so cool! Thanks 🥳🤗👏🥂🎂

RE: Site Housekeeping - Neowise - 22-01-2022

(22-01-2022, 11:33 AM)ari101 Wrote: Unless I'm just seeing my own we also have a wider array of emojis now? This is so cool! Thanks 🥳🤗👏🥂🎂

yes, that was a bonus of the fix Big Grin

RE: Site Housekeeping - nothing - 22-01-2022

@Neowise you're a rock star 😎

RE: Site Housekeeping - Necro - 22-01-2022

Huzzah! 🤑🤑🤑🤑

RE: Site Housekeeping - Spears - 25-01-2022

(22-01-2022, 11:33 AM)ari101 Wrote: Unless I'm just seeing my own we also have a wider array of emojis now? This is so cool! Thanks 🥳🤗👏🥂🎂
Eh I don't have any shiney new emoji's!?

Cry

RE: Site Housekeeping - Leg End Reject - 25-01-2022

(25-01-2022, 11:07 PM)Spears Wrote:

Cry
You can now use the emojis on your phone or whatever device you post from. 😁😃👌

RE: Site Housekeeping - ari101 - 26-01-2022

(25-01-2022, 11:07 PM)Spears Wrote:

Cry

Oh these are from my phone's keyboard on mobile, previously they would not show up. Don't think I have them if I was on the laptop though.