A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
The Rant Thread - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Rant Thread (/showthread.php?tid=188)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 16-11-2021

(16-11-2021, 12:05 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(15-11-2021, 11:54 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: You won't want to go to the Foggie Christmas party in a luxury hotel in Paris so?? 

Big Grin
Now, now, let's not be hasty here! I said work nights out. Book me a suite please. Big Grin
Big Grin  Big Grin

(16-11-2021, 12:00 AM)nothing Wrote:
(15-11-2021, 11:56 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: You can't. All you can do is look after yourself as best you can Nothing. I mean more than just being safe regarding Covid. Look after all of you x

Smile doing my best to keep the anxiety down (sometimes a good rant sorts it!) and to mind myself physically as much as I can, plus covid safety as much as I can (also helps the anxiety). Obviously can't control what anyone else does, but can't help but get frustrated at times.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: The Rant Thread - dawg - 16-11-2021

This evening I got a text telling me to get my 3rd go in a few days.........that will be less than 5 months since my 2nd........I had and still have a significant adverse reaction to the 2nd

The politicians dont know what they are doing.....I wonder do the medics ?

RE: The Rant Thread - Mam of 4 - 16-11-2021

Less than five months Dawg? That's mad. The fact you had an adverse reaction too no doubt will be giving you a lot to think about . All you can do is make the best decision for yourself personally imo .

RE: The Rant Thread - Butty Brennan - 16-11-2021

Rant: Retailers trying to convince us that certain unChristmassy things are a must have for Christmas, and have been a tradition since forever, so they can make more profit off us mugs.

Oysters are the latest thing I've noticed them pushing. They say things like 'don't forget the oysters this Christmas' and 'it just wouldn't be Christmas without oysters' Rolleyes

RE: The Rant Thread - quickbeam - 16-11-2021

When it comes down to it, most Christmassy things that we consider Christmasssy things now aren't really Christmassy things until they were made in to Christmassy things. The nuts and bolts of Christmas are the birth of Jesus, and anything else, such as turkey, trees, robins, eggnog, stockings, tinsel, cranberries, sprouts, even Santa really aren't anything to do with Christmas at all. Until they were.

Look at the phenomenon of Elf on a Shelf and how quickly that just became a Christmasy thing. In 5 years everyone may be rushing out to buy their Christmas oysters!

I'm not religious and I don't celebrate Christmas btw. But retailers generally get their way in the end.

RE: The Rant Thread - Barna77 - 16-11-2021

(15-11-2021, 10:43 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: If we go into another lockdown we should be allowed to kill* unvaccinated people! Tongue

*frustrated joke
The Purge
I know where to start

RE: The Rant Thread - Butty Brennan - 16-11-2021

(16-11-2021, 09:29 AM)quickbeam Wrote: When it comes down to it, most Christmassy things that we consider Christmasssy things now aren't really Christmassy things until they were made in to Christmassy things.  The nuts and bolts of Christmas are the birth of Jesus, and anything else, such as turkey, trees, robins, eggnog, stockings, tinsel, cranberries, sprouts, even Santa really aren't anything to do with Christmas at all.  Until they were. 

Look at the phenomenon of Elf on a Shelf and how quickly that just became a Christmasy thing.  In 5 years everyone may be rushing out to buy their Christmas oysters!

I'm not religious and I don't celebrate Christmas btw.  But retailers generally get their way in the end.
You're right, the modern Christmas celebration is a load of different traditions from various times in history all glued together.
They keep trying to squeeze new ones in too,seafood over Christmas is getting a good push, even octopus on sale in Lidl  Confused
If you listened to the retailers and ads and TV chefs you would be having turkey, goose, ham, beef and salmon for dinner.

Speaking of the elf on the shelf, that matching pajamas for the whole family trend and posting a photo on social media seemed to catch on here overnight.
Very clever one that, people won't want to be seen wearing the same ones as last year on facebook, so they will have to buy a new pair for the family every year Wink

RE: The Rant Thread - Zaph - 16-11-2021

(16-11-2021, 09:29 AM)quickbeam Wrote: Look at the phenomenon of Elf on a Shelf and how quickly that just became a Christmasy thing.

The Elf on a Shelf, and the fcukwit who invented it both need to die.  Horribly.

RE: The Rant Thread - aaronjennings - 16-11-2021

Don't know why I bother trying to help people when they don't listen to a word I tell them

RE: The Rant Thread - Neowise - 16-11-2021

(16-11-2021, 09:20 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: Rant: Retailers trying to convince us that certain unChristmassy things are a must have for Christmas, and have been a tradition since forever, so they can make more profit off us mugs.

Oysters are the latest thing I've noticed them pushing. They say things like 'don't forget the oysters this Christmas' and 'it just wouldn't be Christmas without oysters' Rolleyes

I think its 'don't forget oscars this Christmas' and 'it just wouldn't be Christmas without oscars'

Who's up for oscars?

(16-11-2021, 05:01 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(16-11-2021, 09:20 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: Rant: Retailers trying to convince us that certain unChristmassy things are a must have for Christmas, and have been a tradition since forever, so they can make more profit off us mugs.

I think its 'don't forget oscars this Christmas' and 'it just wouldn't be Christmas without oscars'

Who's up for oscars?
ME!!!!!!!!!!!! We should definitely all have a night out in Oscars! Those were the days  Big Grin

RE: The Rant Thread - Butty Brennan - 17-11-2021

My rant is they are starting to use 'happy holidays' on some Christmas ads made for the British/Irish market. No thanks, keep that shite saying in America at all costs please.
If anyone ever actually said it to me in person I don't know if I would laugh or cry.

RE: The Rant Thread - cee_jay - 17-11-2021

(12-11-2021, 11:12 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 11:07 PM)nothing Wrote: Both, though more so passing it on.
Its an awful thought, that you might cause someone to get sick.

The way I look at it is that if I try really really hard to not be the cause of illness in others, then what does that mean for my life? I think of all the times I must have passed the flu on and it be passed to me. 

The pandemic will settle in time. For now you just keep doing you and minding you and other people will have to take responsibility for themselves.
Off rant, but thank you for this. My best friend is having major anxiety about covid at the moment. So I asked her what she was afraid of, and it is passing it on to others and making them really sick. So I was able to give her similar advice to this, so thank you. I don't know if it will help, but it might alleviate some of her worries.
Her husband is very high risk as he is immunocompromised, and they havent really done anything since covid started. Her anxiety flared up big time this week when she heard there was one class in their kids school that had 10 cases last week, and there were 3 cases in one of the kids classes, but they weren't told. I really is a very tough time for people, and the constant headlines and media reports just don't help at all. I've tried to get her to stop looking at the news sites, but she is really tuned in to them.

RE: The Rant Thread - Mam of 4 - 17-11-2021

(17-11-2021, 09:36 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: My rant is they are starting to use 'happy holidays' on some Christmas ads made for the British/Irish market. No thanks, keep that shite saying in America at all costs please.
If anyone ever actually said it to me in person I don't know if I would laugh or cry.

I'm one of the awful people who say this... Although it's only because I know quite a few non Catholics who don't celebrate Christmas but enjoy the holiday time ☺

RE: The Rant Thread - E.N. - 17-11-2021

(17-11-2021, 12:44 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: I'm one of the awful people who say this... Although it's only because I know quite a few non Catholics who don't celebrate Christmas but enjoy the holiday time ☺
Out of curiosity, Mam, would any of them object to "Christmas"?

I'm an atheist through and through, but I have no objection to Christmas being a religious festival for many, or for it being the phrase used. Obviously it's become more than that for a lot of society, for me it's a winter festival with presents, time off work, lights and decorations, family and friends. There's no religious aspect to it for me but I'd still say Merry Christmas

Not in anyway disparaging you saying happy holidays, I don't really care what anyone says and your motivation is clearly lovely. Just find it interesting

(17-11-2021, 01:15 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(17-11-2021, 12:44 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: I'm one of the awful people who say this... Although it's only because I know quite a few non Catholics who don't celebrate Christmas but enjoy the holiday time ☺
Out of curiosity, Mam, would any of them object to "Christmas"?

I'm an atheist through and through, but I have no objection to Christmas being a religious festival for many, or for it being the phrase used. Obviously it's become more than that for a lot of society, for me it's a winter festival with presents, time off work, lights and decorations, family and friends. There's no religious aspect to it for me but I'd still say Merry Christmas

Not in anyway disparaging you saying happy holidays, I don't really care what anyone says and your motivation is clearly lovely. Just find it interesting

That's actually a very good question!  I know a few would rather not be wished a Merry Christmas , I think that's to do with their own religious beliefs tbh . The others,  I'm sure I've said Merry Christmas a few times without thinking and it didn't matter to them ! 
Myself I'd be like you , it's having that time with family , and everything else that goes along with it , and you know that after it , brighter days are ahead again . You could say what you want to me and it wouldn't matter ☺

(17-11-2021, 12:44 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote:
(17-11-2021, 09:36 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: My rant is they are starting to use 'happy holidays' on some Christmas ads made for the British/Irish market. No thanks, keep that shite saying in America at all costs please.

I'm one of the awful people who say this... Although it's only because I know quite a few non Catholics who don't celebrate Christmas but enjoy the holiday time ☺
Don't say it to me if we ever meet please or I might have a nervous breakdown Wink

It is funny that they came up with the saying 'happy holidays' in America, but most people there don't get any holidays for Christmas: just Christmas day and that's it. If you want more time off it will be unpaid leave for the majority.

RE: The Rant Thread - E.N. - 17-11-2021

(17-11-2021, 01:47 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: You could say what you want to me and it wouldn't matter ☺
[Image: that-sounds-like-a-challenge-william-zabka.gif]

Tongue

Lol EN , fire away , it'd be like water off a ducks back pac

RE: The Rant Thread - quickbeam - 17-11-2021

Funnily, I remember my family truly objecting to "Merry Christmas". As pioneers, they objected to the connotations of getting merry and drunk. They would only ever say "Happy Christmas".

Guess there's nowt a phrase out there that won't bother someone!

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 17-11-2021

I haven't the energy to go for my coffee. This is a disaster of epic proportions.

RE: The Rant Thread - Leg End Reject - 17-11-2021

For anyone worried about Covid the main issue here is our ICU capacity (500 or 550 beds I've read recently for a population of over 5 million). That's below the number per head of population compared to other countries. Standard beds are limited too.

If our health service actually functioned as it should (and it costs more per person here too!) the higher numbers wouldn't be the issue they are now. All the reporting of the health service being stretched is a result of poor management rather than Covid itself.

That's no comfort to those at high risk, but there's no need for widespread alarm.

(17-11-2021, 02:10 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Lol EN , fire away , it'd be like water off a ducks back pac
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia3.giphy.com%2Fmedi...f=1&nofb=1]
Big Grin

Lol Pat Benatars -Hit Me With Your Best Shot springs to mind Butty pac

RE: The Rant Thread - Butty Brennan - 18-11-2021

The price of toys gets crazier every year.

RE: The Rant Thread - Trigger - 18-11-2021

(18-11-2021, 09:52 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: The price of toys gets crazier every year.
Tell me about it! Kids birthday next week and Christmas then.. looking at the prices of even small toys and its fuckin mental

RE: The Rant Thread - Butty Brennan - 18-11-2021

(18-11-2021, 10:59 AM)Trigger Wrote:
(18-11-2021, 09:52 AM)Butty Brennan Wrote: The price of toys gets crazier every year.
Tell me about it! Kids birthday next week and Christmas then.. looking at the prices of even small toys and its fuckin mental
And plenty of them will end up broken or with lost parts by new years Rolleyes

RE: The Rant Thread - dawg - 18-11-2021

(17-11-2021, 04:52 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: For anyone worried about Covid the main issue here is our ICU capacity (500 or 550 beds I've read recently for a population of over 5 million). That's below the number per head of population compared to other countries. Standard beds are limited too.....

ICUs being full is marched out as if it were a new thing due to Covid. In my experience its been a common enough situation for decades ( posted as someone with a close relative who was on the receiving end of the 'no room' story 15 odd years ago )

RE: The Rant Thread - nothing - 21-11-2021

For the first time in years, I have a goddamn cold sore. Yuck.

RE: The Rant Thread - Leg End Reject - 21-11-2021

Work, mortgage, bills, bleurgh.

Major case of the Glenroes here and I seem to be constantly tired. Sad

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 21-11-2021

I fear I am going to kill cyclists, again 3 and 4 grouped on roads they shouldn't be

(21-11-2021, 09:19 PM)nothing Wrote: For the first time in years, I have a goddamn cold sore. Yuck.

Lemon Juice and Toothpaste @nothing

(21-11-2021, 09:38 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 09:19 PM)nothing Wrote: For the first time in years, I have a goddamn cold sore. Yuck.

Lemon Juice and Toothpaste @nothing

Eeep, god no!

(17-11-2021, 04:52 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: For anyone worried about Covid the main issue here is our ICU capacity (500 or 550 beds I've read recently for a population of over 5 million). That's below the number per head of population compared to other countries. Standard beds are limited too.

If our health service actually functioned as it should (and it costs more per person here too!) the higher numbers wouldn't be the issue they are now. All the reporting of the health service being stretched is a result of poor management rather than Covid itself.

That's no comfort to those at high risk, but there's no need for widespread alarm.

125 ICU Covid19 patients, the numbers are rising, everyone be careful and take care

(21-11-2021, 09:39 PM)nothing Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 09:38 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Lemon Juice and Toothpaste @nothing

Eeep, god no!

They work for me  Wink try Zovirax then

(21-11-2021, 09:41 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 09:39 PM)nothing Wrote: Eeep, god no!

They work for me  Wink try Zovirax then

Too late for zovirax, but I'll pop to the pharmacy tomorrow to get something before it gets proper sore.

(21-11-2021, 09:37 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote: I fear I am going to kill cyclists, again 3 and 4 grouped on roads they shouldn't be
I decided ages ago that if I hit them I'm going to reverse over them as a lesson to others. You're not in Le Tour de France lads, it's OK to cycle in single file. We'll still see you're decked out on lycra, I promise. Tongue

(21-11-2021, 09:55 PM)nothing Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 09:41 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote: They work for me  Wink try Zovirax then

Too late for zovirax, but I'll pop to the pharmacy tomorrow to get something before it gets proper sore.
Alcohol will dry it up. A dab of perfume or surgical spirit.

RE: The Rant Thread - dawg - 21-11-2021

I've found covering area with lip balm works wonders  ( but perhaps I'm a bit weird ? )