A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? (/showthread.php?tid=183)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Kol - 21-10-2021

(21-10-2021, 09:47 AM)quickbeam Wrote: Sorry, I think I might be getting confused with the safety net and banking.

Do we pick our safety net amounts, like the new Jeremy Clarkson version, or are they pre-set at €1000 and €32000?  I had originally assumed the former (hence asking how often we could bank), but your images show the €1000 and €32000 in white now making me think they are pre-set.

So, if it is pre-set, then does banking mean taking the money?  The amount you bow out at?  Which makes more sense as you answered you could only bank once.
Yes that last sentence explains it all, we are playing the Chris Tarrant version, actually I never saw the Jeremy Clarkson version so not sure of that format.

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Declan A Walsh - 21-10-2021

The original version of the game is easier to translate to here. In the Jeremy Clarkson version, there are two "safety nets". The first is automatically at 1,000 - like the original version. As the contestant goes along, they say if they want a particular question to be the safety net but they still have to get it if they want that safety net. They can always walk away with the money they have won so far, just like the old game. In practice, many have opted for 32,000 as the safety net, which makes it the same as the old game. One other difference is that there is a fourth lifeline - Ask The Host. That might have been interesting!! Incidentally, during the Chris Tarrant era, they tinkered around with the amounts after a while, but it was brought back again. At some point, they also had a fourth lifeline where you could swap a question, and they also introduced time limits on answers (as well as the lifeline limits).

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Leg End Reject - 21-10-2021

Bloody hell @Kol , we should still be at easy questions at this stage! Tongue

I need to figure out which lifeline to use here.

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Wichita Lineman - 21-10-2021

I've half guessed I think. Eliminated 1 quickly, then a second before sort of doing my own mental 50/50 on the remaining 2. A gamble but if the questions get tougher lifelines will be vital and if I go out early so be it. 

[Image: its-risky-but-we-think-it-will-work-dangerous.gif]

Folks, just something I didn't point out earlier though it might work better. Please refrain from looking up the correct answers after you have made your decision, if you are used as a phone a friend, I would you to provide some words of wisdom regarding the answer you provide or if you don't have a clue, you don't have to give an answer. If everything is organic this will work much better.

It can be hard to resist checking the answer after submission but if you dont check it makes the reveal much more fun. I really found that was the best part of the House of Games reveal last night. Same in this game - answer and then let the anticipation build!

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - quickbeam - 21-10-2021

(21-10-2021, 11:28 AM)Kol Wrote: Folks, just something I didn't point out earlier though it might work better. Please refrain from looking up the correct answers after you have made your decision, if you are used as a phone a friend, I would you to provide some words of wisdom regarding the answer you provide or if you don't have a clue, you don't have to give an answer. If everything is organic this will work much better.

Ok. I didn't realise the friend would get to customise their answer. I thought the friend's answer was just the answer they submitted themselves. I only looked up the answer on yesterday's, and didn't at all on House of Games.

(21-10-2021, 11:43 AM)quickbeam Wrote:
(21-10-2021, 11:28 AM)Kol Wrote: Folks, just something I didn't point out earlier though it might work better. Please refrain from looking up the correct answers after you have made your decision, if you are used as a phone a friend, I would you to provide some words of wisdom regarding the answer you provide or if you don't have a clue, you don't have to give an answer. If everything is organic this will work much better.

Ok.  I didn't realise the friend would get to customise their answer.  I thought the friend's answer was just the answer they submitted themselves.  I only looked up the answer on yesterday's, and didn't at all on House of Games.

It is just something I added today really that you can send some info to someone if they use you as phone a friend. However, the rule is still there that you can only give them the same answer you are also choosing (I think it would be unfair to do otherwise) or if you are not playing that same question or already out of the game, it's up to you if you want to give an answers. The additional info is just to explain to them how confident you are or you can talk about the weather if you wish. There will be only 1 pm so put everything in it that you want Smile
If the phone a friend is used after 7pm, we might not have time for this so I will just provide them with the answer you gave.

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Trigger - 21-10-2021

In! Big Grin

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - ShaneU - 21-10-2021

[Image: that-escalated.gif]

Bring back the dum dum questions pac

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Necro - 21-10-2021

Awwww how did I miss this Sad stupid work

I need to use a second lifeline for a 4k question. Blush

[Image: giphy.webp?cid=82a1493bme1kb2y1zes9rir5v....webp&ct=g]

[Image: giphy+%283%29.gif?format=1000w]

(21-10-2021, 02:13 PM)Necro Wrote: Awwww how did I miss this Sad stupid work
You can join in to be an audience/friend

@Necro as Trig said, you can still PM me your answers each day and they will count towards the audience results and you can be called upon as a friend.

Still waiting on final answers from @nothing and @quickbeam

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - nothing - 21-10-2021

In!

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Necro - 21-10-2021

(21-10-2021, 03:49 PM)Kol Wrote: @Necro as Trig said, you can still PM me your answers each day and they will count towards the audience results and you can be called upon as a friend.

Very well then I shall IN and be available for anyone that would like to phone a friend Smile

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - E.N. - 21-10-2021

You're my friend @E.N., unless of course your answer is wrong. Tongue

Final answers are in

Oh thank goodness for that!

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - E.N. - 21-10-2021

Phew!

I'm never saying I'm confident again, got called twice and I couldn't take the extra pressure!

Conratulations, everyone is up to 4 grand though lifelines are running out for some. 5 players have yet to use any.
See you back tomorrow for question 8, no easy questions at this stage

PlayerAmount50/50Phone a FriendAsk the Audience
Aaron€4,000
Barna€4,000
CeeJay€4,000
Declan€4,000xx
E.N.€4,000x
Edser€4,000xx
LER€4,000xx
Neowise€4,000x
nothing€4,000
QB€4,000x
Shane€4,000x
Trigger€4,000x
Wichey€4,000
Zaph€4,000x
Audience
Liz
Necro

I suspect this is where it all goes horribly wrong for me!

I doubt he read it all, but i sent @Kol almost a thesis about each of the options and when they I thought they were built before I left to mull it over for the day.

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - cee_jay - 21-10-2021

My rationale was "it looks the oldest", probably not the best, luckily it paid off this time. These questions are already hard, I'm terrified for what's ahead!

Quote:I thibk Croker May be the latest. Followed by eiffel Tower.. based on nothing bar it being a metal (even though Liberty is made of copper)[Image: pac-small.png]

So between the statue of Liberty and Big Ben Clock. 

Not sure about whether the end of construction of the statue of liberty would have been when it was made elsewhere or when it went onto the island which i think was the late 1800's, this could have been years after it was made so thats playing on my mind  a bit. 

Not sure I trust this crowd too much either :/

Fuck it I'll go for 

D. Big Ben clock Tower.

I really should learn to trust people pac

I probably shouldn't share how my mind works, but meh....

9.43am
quickbeam Wrote:Q7, some random thoughts:
A) Statue of Liberty, I read a book earlier this year called Time and Again by Jack Finney written in the 70s, where a guy goes back in time in New York, and the statue was in the process of being constructed then. I'm trying to remember when it was he went back, I think the 1890s.
B) Croke Park, as of yesterday's House of Games, I now know that the GAA was founded in 1884 (?) so I presume Croke Park would only have been built after that, but how much longer after that? Certainly by the 1920s and the War of Independence, it was around for the Bloody Sunday massacre to happen. It wasn't Croke Park as we know it, but it probably counts as "being completed" by then.
C) Eifel Tower, am sure that was built in 1889, for the centenary of the French Revolution in 1789.
D) Big Ben, am really not sure. It's part of the Houses of Parliament which have been in existence for centuries, and were certainly around in the early 1600s when Guy Faulkes et al tried to blow them up, but Big Ben may well have been a much later addition. That the first three are all so close together - 1890s/1884/1889, I'm thinking that Big Ben is hardly going to be so far off the others as to be around in the 17th century. Technically, Big Ben is the name of the bell, not the clock anyway, so if there was a tower there with a bell in it, that could well have been installed relatively early, even if the clock was added later. Clock towers were all the rage across Europe in the 19th century. I'm definitely leaning towards this one.

So, use another lifeline? Who would know this anyway? Am tempted to risk Big Ben. Decisions, decisions.

5.42pm
quickbeam Wrote:Okay, everyone seems to be struggling. If it was real life, real money I probably would use a lifeline, but YOLO, I'm gonna go with D) Big Ben, final answer.

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - aaronjennings - 21-10-2021

Here was the logic I used:

aaronjennings Wrote:Okay...

The Eiffel Tower was built for the Worlds Fair in Paris, I can't remember the exact year but it was 1870s or 80s. Statue of Liberty was obviously a gift from France to America, so presumably after they gained independence. And the GAA was founded in 1884, so presubambly Croke Park was built around then

Basically, I'm pretty sure the three of them are around 1870s or 80s. The Clock Tower must be earlier than that, surely? I'm trying to remember a documentary I saw a few years ago about the restoration of the Clock Tower, did they say it was 150 years old...?

I'll say Big Ben Clock Tower...

...final answer

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - jp liz v1 - 21-10-2021

I would be a useless phone a friend unless google is allowed hours in advance  Big Grin

[Image: comics-WUMO-who-wants-to-be-a-millionair...46239.jpeg]

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Kol - 22-10-2021

Welcome back,

Let's play, Who wants to be a FoG millionaire?

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - E.N. - 22-10-2021

[Image: hmm-thinking.gif]

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Wichita Lineman - 22-10-2021

I was 100% certain when I submitted. Now I'm 90%. I'll probably be down to 75% by lunchtime...............

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Trigger - 22-10-2021

[Image: confused-wait-what.gif]

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Leg End Reject - 22-10-2021

Smug face Rolleyes

Big Grin

(22-10-2021, 10:51 AM)Trigger Wrote: [Image: confused-wait-what.gif]
Pretty certain I can narrow it down to two. I tried to toss a coin then but...

[Image: coin-toss-heads-or-tails.gif]

(22-10-2021, 11:09 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Smug face  Rolleyes

Big Grin
[Image: please-tell-me-more-eric-cartman.gif]

RE: Who Wants To Be A FoG Millionaire? - Trigger - 22-10-2021

(22-10-2021, 11:12 AM)E.N. Wrote:
(22-10-2021, 10:51 AM)Trigger Wrote: [Image: confused-wait-what.gif]
Pretty certain I can narrow it down to two. I tried to toss a coin then but...

[Image: coin-toss-heads-or-tails.gif]
I narrowed it down to 1 of 4

pac