A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Werewolf (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Werewolf Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD (/showthread.php?tid=171)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - Trigger - 03-10-2021

The Office US - Overtime Hours

After slacking off for a huge office wedding, staff are falling behind on their targets and Corporate has the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin in their sights

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]

Now under pressure manager Michael Scott and his team must try to find the corporate spies that Jan Levinson has employed to take down the branch from within.

Roles and descriptions

Good Guys

Michael Scott - Vigilante

[Image: finger-guns-michael-scott.gif]
Michael Scott is the regional manager of Dunder Mifflin Paper company, His staff are falling behind on sales and he is under pressure to make some cuts.

Jim Halpert - Bodyguard

[Image: 1535139772-halpert.gif]

Jim Halpert is the office nice guy, he tries to do his upmost to protect the rest of the staff members from Corporate, Dwight and Angela

Pam Beesly - Seer

[Image: tumblr_msvzmwQmbk1s50frko1_400.gif]
The eyes of Dunder Mifflin, being the receptionist Pam with a desk facing the office, she has her eye out for mischief makers.

The Wolves

Jan Levinson
Dwight Schrute
Angela Martin

Jan Levinson from Corporate is trying to close down the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin, aided by her eyes and ears in the office Dwight and Angela. the staff better watch out, when you knock Jan out, she may come back with bigger and better boobies.

[Image: 1QVhiOK.gif?noredirect]

Game Rules:

[Image: michael-scott-the-office.gif]

1) Once you are killed do not post in the thread again. Editing posts is a strict no-no in Werewolf. Please remember this and also... DEAD PLAYERS DO NOT THANK LIVING PLAYERS POSTS

2) Don’t cheat, it’s a game that relies heavily on the players having integrity. No PMing other players in the game, and no chat about the game outside of this game thread. If you have any concerns about the game mechanics or the integrity of other players contact the mods who will make a decision. Do not discuss any of this in game or elsewhere. Always remember the mods may have secrets, though there are no hidden roles in this game.

3) Please all try to reasonably contribute to the game thread and always remember to get a vote in (where it is possible for you to do so) as a minimum. There is a 5 post per cycle (munch-munch) minimum limit starting from Monday evening at 6pm. 2 missed votes will result in a substitution where possible or a modkill if absolutely necessary

4) No posting of any PM's from the game mod or referring or alluding to the content of them or any backroom you may or may not have, without prior permission. Note that there are new players playing, they may have been provided with backrooms to ask questions of the game mods irrespective of game role.

5) This is an evening game, which starts with a soft Day 0 on Sunday. The thread will open at 5pm on Sunday 3rd Oct for D0 until 10pm before closing.

The thread will then re-open at 5pm Monday and the day 1 phase will begin with munch at 6pm and end with lynch closing at 9pm with a 1 hour twilight period after this to allow for discussion. Night phase begins at 9pm each night. Lynch Announcements take place at 10pm as the thread closes.

6) In the event of a tied lynch, the lynch will be decided by last vote cast. NRVs in this game are simply known as - Salesperson (NRV)

7) Policy on Abuse: By all means, call people on dodgy behaviour, point out if they are being silly or behaving strangely, be aggressive in your approach; but DO NOT abuse another player. If you feel another player has stepped over a line, the first step is to ask them to stop; if they do not, please PM a forum admin (listed in the staff section of the site) or use the report button on the post in question. Admins will investigate and action any issues at an appropriate time, keeping the game mods informed of any actions as needed.

8) Have fun, make memes, take the piss and try to enjoy the game. Having fun is the aim!!

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ed8695714c05adab2d...y.gif&ct=g]

Lynch Form Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdecVtww714ZBlvLqHPE8sNTBsVhkOlDthqn9Xy056lUXqr8A/viewform

Player List:
Baggly
Barney92
Cee-jay
duffman13
Guirienespana
JP Liz
LadySkunk
Leg End Reject
Lorcand1990
Neowise
Nothing

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - Trigger - 03-10-2021

Thread closed - PM's will be sent this afternoon and thread will open at 5pm

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - Trigger - 03-10-2021

Thread Opened, have fun and enjoy the game

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - nothing - 03-10-2021

Woohoo!

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - Leg End Reject - 03-10-2021

Evening.

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - lorcand1990 - 03-10-2021

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - guirienespana - 03-10-2021

I loved The Office, such a great show, fun to play a game with this theme. This is also my first ever evening game, is it usually quite intense or is it extra tough to get reads due to low volume of post and discussion?

There are 3 rvs, 3 wolves, and 5 nrvs. There’s no indication if the wolves have any powers, beyond the hint that Jan might be bulletproof, so a claimed cop+hidden doc is risky. A mass claim seems out of the question too, unless the nrv role pm has not been shared with wolves.

Neta “eyes and ears” might indicate wolf powers - watcher and ?

I've only plyed one evening game but yeah I found it a bit more intense than the all day ones.. Needs people to be active in the time available though

My read on Jan is that she either needs 2 hits to kill, or else can regen into another player once killed

(03-10-2021, 07:42 AM)Trigger Wrote: The thread will then re-open at 5pm Monday and the day 1 phase will begin with munch at 6pm and end with lynch closing at 9pm with a 1 hour twilight period after this to allow for discussion. Night phase begins at 9pm each night. Lynch Announcements take place at 10pm as the thread closes.
[color=green][b]So we have three hours to deliberate, then 1 hour for idle chat, and the lynch reveal is at 10pm when the thread is closed? So effectively there is no Night for village? Day2 starts directly at 5pm Tuesday with the outcome of the previous Night’s carnage, if any?

In the last game the alpha wolf could regenerate as another player the first time they were killed, that's random between all the players still in the game, so we could be lucky and they take over another wolf rather than a RV or NRV.

I don't think wolves ever see PMs for other players until the game is over. What do you mean by cop+hidden doc strategy?

(03-10-2021, 05:12 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: I've only plyed one evening game but yeah I found it a bit more intense than the all day ones.. Needs people to be active in the time available though

My read on Jan is that she either needs 2 hits to kill, or else can regen into another player once killed
Let’s hope it’s the former, and if it’s the latter, let’s hope that it’s made really obvious in the lynch or Dawn announcements, otherwise this will get messy.

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - LadySkunk - 03-10-2021

Hello all, I signed up for the evening game thinking it would be less intense. Don’t dash my dreams before it really even starts Big Grin

(03-10-2021, 05:15 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I don't think wolves ever see PMs for other players until the game is over. What do you mean by cop+hidden doc strategy?
Well, if there are 5 villagers with the exact same vanilla PM, there might be a way to do a handshake and confirm each other. If the wolves have a copy of the PM, then it’s out of the question.

We know there’s a cop and a doc, the cop could claim, the doc would then protect them every Night, and guarantee a few results. The cop would be safe while the wolves hunt the doc. If there’s a cop counter-claim, we’ll then there’s a 50-50 chance of catching a wolf.

(03-10-2021, 05:21 PM)guirienespana Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:15 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I don't think wolves ever see PMs for other players until the game is over. What do you mean by cop+hidden doc strategy?
Well, if there are 5 villagers with the exact same vanilla PM, there might be a way to do a handshake and confirm each other. If the wolves have a copy of the PM, then it’s out of the question.

We know there’s a cop and a doc, the cop could claim, the doc would then protect them every Night, and guarantee a few results. The cop would be safe while the wolves hunt the doc. If there’s a cop counter-claim, we’ll then there’s a 50-50 chance of catching a wolf.
Rule 4 bans discussing or alluding to PMs.

In previous games the bodyguard can't protect the same player on 2 consecutive nights so RVs need to stay hidden until necessary.

We should have an autopriest so at least we'll know the alignment of the lynched and munched players.

(03-10-2021, 05:12 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: My read on Jan is that she either needs 2 hits to kill, or else can regen into another player once killed
Actually the second option is more likely, otherwise if she was lynched and survived the lynch, the vig target or, in their absence, the next Day’s lynch would be a foregone conclusion.

I think i'm getting slightly confused by the roles you mention.. do you call the seer the cop & the bodyguard the doc?

From the OP we have a seer, a bodyguard & a vig

You said about a mass claim as well a few posts ago. It totally defeats the purpose of the game and takes away the fun of it.

Also why are you talking about the vig outting themself so soon. Most games I’ve played in the bodyguard can only protect one different player each night so by your thinking, the vig gets protected for one night and then is dead. That’s a terrible idea

(03-10-2021, 05:26 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Rule 4 bans discussing or alluding to PMs.
Oh, I figured that was related to general PMs between the mods and players, surely when a player claims a role, or a character, or shares how their power works, they are effectively breaking your interpretation of rule 4?

(03-10-2021, 05:28 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:21 PM)guirienespana Wrote: Well, if there are 5 villagers with the exact same vanilla PM, there might be a way to do a handshake and confirm each other. If the wolves have a copy of the PM, then it’s out of the question.

I think i'm getting slightly confused by the roles you mention.. do you call the seer the cop & the bodyguard the doc?

From the OP we have a seer, a bodyguard & a vig
Yes, sorry, seer=cop, bodyguard=doc, vig=vig, will try to use the proper terminology.

(03-10-2021, 05:28 PM)LadySkunk Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:21 PM)guirienespana Wrote: Well, if there are 5 villagers with the exact same vanilla PM, there might be a way to do a handshake and confirm each other. If the wolves have a copy of the PM, then it’s out of the question.

You said about a mass claim as well a few posts ago. It totally defeats the purpose of the game and takes away the fun of it.

Also why are you talking about the vig outting themself so soon. Most games I’ve played in the bodyguard can only protect one different player each night so by your thinking, the vig gets protected for one night and then is dead. That’s a terrible idea
I think the doc is the seer and the cop the bodyguard. No one should be revealing unless they have information or they're looking likely for the lynch.

(03-10-2021, 05:30 PM)guirienespana Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:26 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Rule 4 bans discussing or alluding to PMs.
Oh, I figured that was related to general PMs between the mods and players, surely when a player claims a role, or a character, or shares how their power works, they are effectively breaking your interpretation of rule 4?
Possibly, but if NRVs all manage to allude to that and the wolves pick up on it that'll just make the RVs targets.

(03-10-2021, 05:28 PM)LadySkunk Wrote:

I understand your perspective. I don’t think discussion is bad, I don’t think strategizing goes against the purpose of the game, effectively these things can happen naturally during the game, so if it’s possible to bring forward to D1, village is better off.
In most games I’ve played there are no limitations on the targets of a bodyguard so it’s just an idea, neither terrible nor brilliant.
If you prefer, we can discuss The Office characters and just fluff about.

yeah I don't think we should be mass claiming, i don't even know if it's in the spirit of the game, but i'm just gonna tease out how it would go

we out our 3 big roles (I preseume roles would ust say they are roled rather than who they are?) & then we have to hope the bg protects the right person 1st munch. Even if they do then the next night we def lose that person. Very risky

Wolves will claim NRVs so that means we will have 3 cleared roled players & then the 3 wolves are definitely in the batch of 8 players, better odds then 3 in 11 but we've given up our most important players

(03-10-2021, 05:33 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:30 PM)guirienespana Wrote: Oh, I figured that was related to general PMs between the mods and players, surely when a player claims a role, or a character, or shares how their power works, they are effectively breaking your interpretation of rule 4?
Possibly, but if NRVs all manage to allude to that and the wolves pick up on it that'll just make the RVs targets.
That’s the risk.

The numbers are stacked in the villager's favour, I think RVs should stay hidden and do the best they can. The 3 of them would be the first 3 to be munched and all the discussion would concentrate on that rather than trying to catch the wolves.

(03-10-2021, 05:37 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: yeah I don't think we should be mass claiming, i don't even know if it's in the spirit of the game, but i'm just gonna tease out how it would go

we out our 3 big roles (I preseume roles would ust say they are roled rather than who they are?) & then we have to hope the bg protects the right person 1st munch.  Even if they do then the next night we def lose that person. Very risky

Wolves will claim NRVs so that means we will have 3 cleared roled players & then the 3 wolves are definitely in the batch of 8 players, better odds then 3 in 11 but we've given up our most important players

Well, it’s moot now, if the rb must change target every Night, but my first suggestion was only for the Seer to claim. The Bodyguard would remain hidden along the other 7 villagers.

My second suggestion would require just two nrvs to handshake, and only if successful, would we consider extending it.

(03-10-2021, 05:35 PM)guirienespana Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:28 PM)LadySkunk Wrote: You said about a mass claim as well a few posts ago. It totally defeats the purpose of the game and takes away the fun of it.

I understand your perspective. I don’t think discussion is bad, I don’t think strategizing goes against the purpose of the game, effectively these things can happen naturally during the game, so if it’s possible to bring forward to D1, village is better off.
In most games I’ve played there are no limitations on the targets of a bodyguard so it’s just an idea, neither terrible nor brilliant.
If you prefer, we can discuss The Office characters and just fluff about.

No I don’t think strategising is bad at all but I do think it’s odd when someone on the day before the game even starts properly is talking about 1) a mass reveal and 2) Outting RVs straight off the bat

(03-10-2021, 05:42 PM)LadySkunk Wrote: No I don’t think strategising is bad at all but I do think it’s odd when someone on the day before the game even starts properly is talking about 1) a mass reveal and 2) Outting RVs straight off the bat

I agree with you that the outing roles thing is unusual, but even though it's N0 it's an evening game & less time to post so very much game on for me!

(03-10-2021, 05:41 PM)guirienespana Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:37 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: yeah I don't think we should be mass claiming, i don't even know if it's in the spirit of the game, but i'm just gonna tease out how it would go

we out our 3 big roles (I preseume roles would ust say they are roled rather than who they are?) & then we have to hope the bg protects the right person 1st munch.  Even if they do then the next night we def lose that person. Very risky

Well, it’s moot now, if the rb must change target every Night, but my first suggestion was only for the Seer to claim. The Bodyguard would remain hidden along the other 7 villagers.

My second suggestion would require just two nrvs to handshake, and only if successful, would we consider extending it.
What if the bg is lynched or munched though? That would be the end of the seer.

I don't understand the handshake thing at all.

RE: The Office US : Overtime Hours - GAME THREAD - Baggly - 03-10-2021

Hello all.

(03-10-2021, 05:51 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: What if the bg is lynched or munched though? That would be the end of the seer.

Well, I’d presume that the bg would claim before being lynched so votes can be moved to another candidate. And of course, if they’re munched at least we’d get one more Seer result. The wolves have a 1/8 chance of munching the Seer, they would have a 1/7 chance of munching the bg, while the Seer does his or her thing. Anyway, if you believe the bg cannot protect the same player on consecutive Nights, it’s moot.

As for the handshake, the hypothesis is that all NRVs have the same role PM word-for-word, and that wolves do not have a copy of that role PM. So if nrvs have information that is unique to them, matching words, letters, phrases or hashes can allow them to form a core of confirmed villagers…

I note that my first post actually excluded both of these options given the lack of information available to us about the wolves’ powers and availability of the nrv role PM.

(03-10-2021, 06:08 PM)guirienespana Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 05:51 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: What if the bg is lynched or munched though? That would be the end of the seer.

Well, I’d presume that the bg would claim before being lynched so votes can be moved to another candidate. And of course, if they’re munched at least we’d get one more Seer result. The wolves have a 1/8 chance of munching the Seer, they would have a 1/7 chance of munching the bg, while the Seer does his or her thing. Anyway, if you believe the bg cannot protect the same player on consecutive Nights, it’s moot.

As for the handshake, the hypothesis is that all NRVs have the same role PM word-for-word, and that wolves do not have a copy of that role PM. So if nrvs have information that is unique to them, matching words, letters, phrases or hashes can allow them to form a core of confirmed villagers…

I note that my first post actually excluded both of these options given the lack of information available to us about the wolves’ powers and availability of the nrv role PM.
That would be 2 RVs gone almost immediately.

If NRVs try to identify each other it's likely the wolves will spot it, then by a process of elimination they'll identify any hidden RVs.

We might as well just give the game to the wolves if we play like that.

(03-10-2021, 06:14 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 06:08 PM)guirienespana Wrote: Well, I’d presume that the bg would claim before being lynched so votes can be moved to another candidate. And of course, if they’re munched at least we’d get one more Seer result. The wolves have a 1/8 chance of munching the Seer, they would have a 1/7 chance of munching the bg, while the Seer does his or her thing. Anyway, if you believe the bg cannot protect the same player on consecutive Nights, it’s moot.

If NRVs try to identify each other it's likely the wolves will spot it, then by a process of elimination they'll identify any hidden RVs.

I disagree, these are strategies that can work effectively with the right conditions, which don’t apply to this game. You’ve reduced the strategy to an extreme case, in most of the other cases it works out strongly in village’s favor:
- couldn’t the Seer be equally at risk of lynch or munch? At least with the bg protection, they’d survive one or more munches
- is a core of 5 confirmed town less important than 3 rvs? We’d have a 50/50 chance of hitting a wolf among the remaining 6, all of whom would be forced to claim and would be evaluated on their actions and results

(03-10-2021, 06:14 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 06:08 PM)guirienespana Wrote: Well, I’d presume that the bg would claim before being lynched so votes can be moved to another candidate. And of course, if they’re munched at least we’d get one more Seer result. The wolves have a 1/8 chance of munching the Seer, they would have a 1/7 chance of munching the bg, while the Seer does his or her thing. Anyway, if you believe the bg cannot protect the same player on consecutive Nights, it’s moot.

No I think what he’s saying is that the wolves wouldn’t know what to look out for if they got unique PMs about the game. 

Feels kind of cheaty to me no? Rule 4 is there for a reason. I just feel like all of these options just take the fun out of the game and it’s a kick in the teeth for the mods who put time and effort into planning it.

What ever happened to some good old fashioned sleuthing amateur sleuthing? Smile

And yes I know that might sound rich from me since this is my only real contribution but it’s Sunday and my real detective work will start tomorrow Big Grin

Any game I've played/ran, the PMs are copy/paste across everyone, with a few extra lines for RV and wolves, so not sure that secret communication would work unfortunately. It's an interesting idea, all the same.

Definitely don't think RVs should be coming out unless they're in trouble or have useful information. Not worth losing them too quickly.

I wrote Sleuthing amateur sleuthing…

Sleuther no sleuthing!!

Hahahaha Don’t mind me, I’ll see myself out Big Grin

(03-10-2021, 06:25 PM)nothing Wrote: Any game I've played/ran, the PMs are copy/paste across everyone, with a few extra lines for RV and wolves, so not sure that secret communication would work unfortunately. It's an interesting idea, all the same.

Definitely don't think RVs should be coming out unless they're in trouble or have useful information. Not worth losing them too quickly.
And they must not fake their results, without having a very good reason, please!

Typos are one of the most fun aspects of playing... Hehe

(03-10-2021, 06:35 PM)guirienespana Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 06:25 PM)nothing Wrote: Any game I've played/ran, the PMs are copy/paste across everyone, with a few extra lines for RV and wolves, so not sure that secret communication would work unfortunately. It's an interesting idea, all the same.

And they must not fake their results, without having a very good reason, please!
That's one thing I think we'll all agree on!