A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! (/showthread.php?tid=210)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Cdeb - 19-12-2021

Was that 16 English language songs? Genuinely wasn't expecting that!

I often have the Norwegian station P6 Rock on in the house; plays standard classic rock mixed with the obligatory local stuff. Some is in English (Europe the most obvious example) but most is in Norwegian like Raga Rockers, DumDum Boys, CC Cowboys and Seigmen (my nomination here). There's other stations in the Px stable for different genres too. Good for something different from time to time.

Edit - actually, the winner isn't in English. And the bottom place I think technically isn't in English either. ?

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Declan A Walsh - 19-12-2021

I completely forgot about this thread until tonight as it was ages ago since I had submitted my entries on Boards for my first ever Walrus! I only noticed it because I happened to look at the reference to it on Boards' Forum Games! It was enjoyable catching up and I am glad that I did not miss the whole contest.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - jp liz v1 - 20-12-2021

Well Done @Hello 2D Person Below

Great Reveal @Homer J. Fong

Some cracking tunes

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 20-12-2021

Here's the Geographic breakdown for the Nordic round: unsurprisingly Sweden was the most popular but there was still a nice split of entries across the five countries.

Sweden (6)
First Aid Kit
Alice Boman
The Cardigans
Robyn
Roxette
LOVA

Denmark (4)
The Raveonettes
Mew
Iceage
Michael Learns To Rock

Iceland (3)
Emiliana Torrini (x2)
Múm

Norway (2)
Wardruna & AURORA
Seigmen

Finland (2)
Tuomas Holapainen 
Circle & Erkki Kurenniemi

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Irish Aris - 20-12-2021

Another great round, lots of superb song.
Very glad to have a safety distance, not feeling very confident about my jazz selection as it is very. . . standard. Smile

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - osh - 24-12-2021

Good job I'm feeling super confident about my last two.

Little bit disappointed with the ranking for my song this round, but not hugely unexpected. if I recall correctly you didn't like my  Marflutter's blonde redhead submission due to the singing, so I guess we just have different tastes there. Should probably have considered that before submitting but I like it and that's my main decision making process Tongue

Not had a chance to catch up on this round yet. Will have a listen to the others over the break.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Declan A Walsh - 16-01-2022

Any word on this one?

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 21-01-2022

(16-01-2022, 10:04 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: Any word on this one?
Hi Declan, I will definitely get around to completing it. Unfortunately bit caught for time at the moment so can't give a definite timeline.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Declan A Walsh - 28-02-2022

(16-01-2022, 10:04 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: Any word on this one?

(21-01-2022, 11:15 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote:
Hi Declan, I will definitely get around to completing it. Unfortunately bit caught for time at the moment so can't give a definite timeline.

What is the latest on this one?

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 04-03-2022

(28-02-2022, 12:12 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote:

(21-01-2022, 11:15 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: Hi Declan, I will definitely get around to completing it. Unfortunately bit caught for time at the moment so can't give a definite timeline.

What is the latest on this one?

Struggling to find time to give it the attention it deserves. Don't wanna do a rush job.

Tentative reveal = last week of April for the remaining rounds.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 20-04-2022

[Image: 6d9ef2.jpg]

Friday 29th - Saturday 30th April. The long forgotten eagerly awaited conclusion will....um....be concluded.

Yeah.

..... WALRUS!!!1!!! 

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 29-04-2022

The finishing touches are being put to Round 5. Should be ready to Reveal at 10pm.

This is Round 5 - Jazz and Blues.

[Image: 8AGM4KY.gif]

[Image: CiLmqOH.gif]

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 29-04-2022

Ok, let's get going!

Let me just say that everything in positions 14 to 4 changed ranks at some point. I feel like a broken record saying this, but the standard was very high and it was so hard to separate a lot of these songs. So much so that songs by artists I love ended up with some poor scores in this round. On which note....

Kicking us off in 14th place and with 4 points:

Björk Guðmundsdóttir & tríó Guðmundar Ingólfssonar  – Ruby Baby

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes (almost daily, in the case of the singer!)
Have I listened to the song before? Yes

Comments:
I’m a huge Björk fan, she is one of my favourite artists of all time. I think, however, it’s fair to say that she’s not exactly known for her jazz numbers. I’ve never actually listened to Gling Gló, the parent album of this track. I believe it was recorded before her solo career really took off with Debut. It’s a perfectly nice and pleasant way to spend a few minutes of your life but it’s not exactly a jazz classic, and really serves more as just a curio in the (fantastic) back catalogue of Ms. Guðmundsdóttir.

In 13th place and scoring 5 points:

Cab Calloway – Minnie the Moocher

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Don't think so.
Have I listened to the song before? Seems like I should have but I can't recall it.

Comments:
Seems like there are a few recordings of this by the same artist, don't know if our submitter wanted any one in particular. Anyway this was a fun song but does get a bit irritating after a while. It’s the kind of song that’s perfect to hear once in a while, but with long breaks in between so you don’t get sick of it.

In 12th place and scoring 6 points:

Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares For Me

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes
Have I listened to the song before? Yes

Comments:
It feels wrong to rank this so low, because Nina Simone was obviously an amazing talent. But this particular song doesn’t do as much for me as some of her other numbers. Still a very good song, of course; I’m sure it was fantastic to see/hear this done live, and the importance of Nina’s influence on music can never be understated. So it’s not that I don’t appreciate her; it’s just that I happen to prefer some of her other songs to this one.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - RSOAPS - 29-04-2022

Um, don't mean to interrupt your flow, but any chance you could remind us what the theme is for this round? Can't for the life of me remember what I submitted nor what the themes for the last couple of rounds are...

In 11th place and scoring 7 points:

Samantha Fish - Kill or Be Kind

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? No
Have I listened to the song before? No

Comments:
Kind of a poppier take on blues rock here. Interesting sound, and I like her voice. Potentially someone I’d like to hear more by. Unfortunately couldn’t rank it higher in this round but still not a bad pick at all. I did enjoy hearing this; its relatively low score is more down to the quality of the other entries, rather than a poor reflection on the song itself. Unlucky not to do better.

(29-04-2022, 10:19 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Um, don't mean to interrupt your flow, but any chance you could remind us what the theme is for this round? Can't for the life of me remember what I submitted nor what the themes for the last couple of rounds are...

Oops, sorry!

This Round is Jazz and Blues.
Next Round is the 'Starter Pokémon' round (Grass/Fire/Water themes)
And then finally we have Heeps!

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Cdeb - 29-04-2022

(29-04-2022, 10:19 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Um, don't mean to interrupt your flow, but any chance you could remind us what the theme is for this round? Can't for the life of me remember what I submitted nor what the themes for the last couple of rounds are...
Jazz

Then it was the one about an element which you could really take to be almost anything

Then heeps

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - RSOAPS - 29-04-2022

Ah yes of course, as soon as my song appeared I remembered what the round's theme was... pac

In 10th place and scoring 8 points:

BB King feat. Tracy Chapman - The Thrill Is Gone

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes but not together

Comments:
Good, solid bluesy rock number. Nice contrast between Tracy’s smooth, sweet voice and BB’s gravelly worn one. Didn’t quite blow me away the same way as some others here did but still a nice choice.

In 9th place and scoring 9 points:

Thorbjørn Risager & The Black Tornado - Last Train

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
We’re into the rocky side of blues here. Kind of a Black Keys vibe off this one, actually. Initially it was quite low on the list but it won me over on repeat listens. Possibly a bit repetitive towards the end but still a very enjoyable listen.

In 8th place and scoring 10 points:

Peggy Lee - Fever

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes
Have I listened to the song before? Yes

Comments:
Bit of a classic, this. Very difficult to not love that rumbling double bass, the idiosyncratic drums and that effortless vocal. Not much more to say other than that this was a solid pick.

In 7th place and scoring 11 points:

Johnny Dankworth and his Orchestra - Experiments with Mice

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
Well this is.....weird. Very, very weird. But good weird! The narrative veers a bit between genuinely amusing and baffling, but overall it does work nicely with the tonal shifts between the different sections of the song. Took a few listens for me to gel with this one but it's worth sticking with. Glad to have heard it.

In 6th place and scoring 12 points:

Little Walter - My Babe

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
Blues 101. And I mean that as a compliment! Everything you want in a good solid blues song is here. Really liked this.

In 5th place and scoring 13 points:

Colter Wall - The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
So our submitter fears they may have not quite stuck with the theme for this round....let’s see what Professor Wikipedia says:

Quote:“He described his music as a blend of blues, folk and Americana.”

Well, that's good enough for me!  pac

Anyway, I really liked this. Was rather surprised to find out he was a young white Canadian guy, as opposed to a 60-year old black dude from the Deep South! It does have a different vibe to the other songs here, arguably more of a folk song but still bluesy enough to fit in well here imo. Would have fit in perfectly to the soundtrack of True Blood (before it went shit). Very nice choice.

In 4th place and scoring 14 points:

Buddy Guy - Baby Please Don't Leave Me

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
Nice intriguing intro, the rattling drums and creeping bassline sets the tension nicely. Solid guitar riff kicks in to take it up a gear and then that monster of a voice....seriously, the opening minute of this song is fantastic. And the momentum keeps up for another couple of minutes...but then sadly it does start to drag on a bit. All the ingredients are here for a category-winning song, it just fell a bit short compared to the top three here. But still a great submission and I'm glad to have heard it.

Here are our top and bottom three for the Jazz and Blues category:

SpoilerShow Content

Which three swinging cats (or mice!) are in perfect rhythm?

[Image: tom-and-jerry-jazz.gif]

And which three have been rushing and/or dragging? 

[Image: giphy.gif]

In 15th place and scoring 3 points:

Mississippi John Hurt - Talking Casey (live)

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
We’re going REALLY old school blues here. I’d probably enjoy this a lot more if I was sitting in a dark and smoky dive bar, six beers and three whiskeys in, with this guy on the stage just doing his thing. But a song like this, even a live recording, doesn’t really do much for me without that ambiance. I certainly respect it but I'm not rushing to listen again.

In 3rd place and scoring 15 points:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Blue Rondo à la Turk

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes
Have I listened to the song before? Yes

Comments:
'Take Five' is an absolute masterpiece, and this track happens to be the opening number of its parent album Time Out. Our submitter presumably avoided choosing 'Take Five' as it would be too "safe" a choice to win (which may or may not be true)....but the only problem is that anything else by Brubeck will be compared to it! No matter, because this is still a great tune. With long-ish jazz numbers like this I sometimes find my mind wandering a little, not because I'm bored and want it to end but because the music just invokes a little daydreamy self. This is the kind of tune you can dip in and out of, and discover something new each time. Lovely pick.

In 16th place and scoring 2 points:

Diana Krall - Crazy

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the song before? Yes but not this version

Comments:
A jazz cover of a non-jazz song can potentially be a wonderful thing; Madeleine Peyroux’s lovely version of Leonard Cohen’s 'Dance Me To The End of Love', for example, injects enough personality and originality to make it stand out as a great song in its own right. But I’m afraid this jazz version of a country classic did nothing for me. It’s laid back to a fault; I’m not familiar with Ms Krall and I’m sure she’s very talented but she just sounds bored here, like she’s rattling off something to fulfill studio commitment before she can clock out for the day. If I want to listen to ‘Crazy’, there’s nothing about this version that would make me choose it over Patsy Cline's. Perhaps it needs to be heard live to appreciate more?

In 2nd place and scoring 16 points:

Elmore James - Dust My Broom

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? No, I thought Elmore James was an author.*

Comments:
Hell yeah. This is exactly what I had in mind when I set this category. Proper, authentic, twangy, smoky blues. Great vocal, awesome slide guitar. Doesn't overstay its welcome, it loves you and leaves you (like any love interest in a good blues song should!) Fantastic choice, really enjoyed this.

*turns out I was thinking of Elmore Leonard.

As always, in every category, someone unfortunately has to be last.  Sad  

In 17th place and scoring 1 point:

George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Bad to the Bone

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the song before? No but that riff is very recognisable

Comments:
The first 23 seconds of this are very enjoyable. The subsequent 4 and a half minutes less so. I’m not a fan of this guy’s style of singing, the “buh-buh-buh-buh-bad” gets very tiring after a short while. This kinda felt more like a rock band cosplaying blues, rather than an actual blues song. Sorry to our submitter, I’m afraid this just didn’t land with me.

Which means, congratulations to our winner for this category!   

In 1st place and scoring 17 points:

Snarky Puppy - Lingus

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:
Studio versions just don’t cut it for some songs. I originally had the studio cut on my playlist for this round and the song, while technically impressive, passed me by a little bit. Our submitter, however, was clever enough to specify that this should be listened to on Youtube and I must say it is a whole other experience watching the group (I’ve lost count of how many of them there are!) perform this live. 30+ million Youtube hits don’t normally happen for songs like this, which should tell you how awesome this is. All the musicians are great, but I need to acknowledge the drummer who is particularly fantastic here. 

I can’t say this will be in my regular rotation as much as some of the others, as it’s such a chunky piece that requires more than just background listening, but I’m looking forward to uncovering more and more layers with each viewing. It’s like a big meaty steak, that you’re not gonna eat it every night but you’ll damn well savour it when you have it in front of you. Excellent pick.

So what has that round done to our leaderboard?

[Image: Zi7kwPQ.png]

@Irish Aris still holding on in first place, but now just 2 points separate him from @osh in 2nd.
@Hello 2D Person Below and @Necro are tied in third place.

Two rounds left to go and I am hoping we'll be able to wrap them up tomorrow night.
Thanks again everyone for your participation.

[Image: cvaDjWs.gif]

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - E.N. - 29-04-2022

(29-04-2022, 10:29 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 9th place and scoring 9 points:

Thorbjørn Risager & The Black Tornado - Last Train

Comments:
We’re into the rocky side of blues here. Kind of a Black Keys vibe off this one, actually. Initially it was quite low on the list but it won me over on repeat listens. Possibly a bit repetitive towards the end but still a very enjoyable listen.

Glad it won you over. I was struggling for Nordic jazz or blues but I'd set myself that challenge because I'm an idiot. I remembered seeing this guy in a pub in Copenhagen about a decade ago and he was awesome. I looked through the photos and found one of the poster that night, so rediscovered his name. This was his most recent album, with a full band, and I really enjoyed it, hence my pick

Looks like a great mix this time round, must catch up over the weekend Smile

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Zaph - 30-04-2022

(29-04-2022, 11:25 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 2nd place and scoring 16 points:

Elmore James - Dust My Broom

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? No, I thought Elmore James was an author.*

Comments:
Hell yeah. This is exactly what I had in mind when I set this category. Proper, authentic, twangy, smoky blues. Great vocal, awesome slide guitar. Doesn't overstay its welcome, it loves you and leaves you (like any love interest in a good blues song should!) Fantastic choice, really enjoyed this.

*turns out I was thinking of Elmore Leonard.

Totally forgot I entered this Walrus, and was just taking a look a the entries for this round.  Came across this and was happy someone had entered it because it's a great song.  Was genuinely surprised that it was me. Big Grin   Anyway, glad you liked it.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Zaph - 30-04-2022

(29-04-2022, 10:13 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 13th place and scoring 5 points:

Submitted byShow Content

Have I listened to the song before? Seems like I should have but I can't recall it.

Comments:
Seems like there are a few recordings of this by the same artist, don't know if our submitter wanted any one in particular. Anyway this was a fun song but does get a bit irritating after a while. It’s the kind of song that’s perfect to hear once in a while, but with long breaks in between so you don’t get sick of it.

You probably know this song from The Blues Brothers.  Cab Calloway played Curtis and this was the big band number before the brothers arrived at their show towards the end of the film.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - ShaneU - 30-04-2022

Some great songs in this round. And I didn't pick Take Five because I knew you knew the song already

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 30-04-2022

(30-04-2022, 02:09 AM)Zaph Wrote:
(29-04-2022, 10:13 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 13th place and scoring 5 points:

Submitted byShow Content

Comments:

You probably know this song from The Blues Brothers.  Cab Calloway played Curtis and this was the big band number before the brothers arrived at their show towards the end of the film.

Have never seen Blues Brothers, believe it or not. Then again, I've never seen most films that everybody else has, I'm terrible with cinema!  Blush Is it worth the watch?

I realise I never picked out what I'd choose for this round; here are some numbers from the world of jazz and blues I really like.