A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 11-10-2021

(11-10-2021, 09:23 PM)E.N. Wrote: Newness comment: Portishead might be my favourite band, so I'm afraid you have to get zero here! But...
(11-10-2021, 09:30 PM)E.N. Wrote: I was tempted to go with something by Portishead here....but that would have been far too much a case of low-hanging fruit for you!  Tongue

Homer playing the game well Big Grin

In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Long Way Down by Robert DeLong

They said: Honestly, if someone turned around and told you this was actually the track for the next Bond movie, you'd be hard pushed to not believe them... Aside from a few swear words that probably wouldn't fit the brief it has everything else you'd expect from a modern Bond movie, so no brainer for the category.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 9/10
Song: 8/10
Total EN Score: 88%

Newness comment: Never heard of him, full marks!
Fit comment: Ha ha, this is a good fit. I mean, there's a section where the Bond producers could sue for the background riff. It's not quite as good as a couple of others, the distorted vocals at the end cost it slightly, but it's a great pick for this round
Song comment: Really like this, starts strong and the drop into the chorus is great. I don't love his voice, but it's a minor criticism. Overall a very strong song

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 11-10-2021

(11-10-2021, 09:30 PM)E.N. Wrote: They said: I must admit I've never actually seen a Bond movie,

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472348cbbmrpulp8mxpw...y.gif&ct=g]

In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Legacy by Spellling

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Song: 9/10

Newness comment: Don't know who entered this but I've seen Spellling in another walrus and liked her, guessing it was the same person. I'm being a bit harsh with 4 to be honest, but I don't think you need the points...
Fit comment: Yeah, great pick! I've docked one point as it's maybe a little restrained for Bond, but it's really got that style. The strings bring the glamour, the voice has that slightly grubby glamour to it, it's pretty spot on
Song comment: Really like it, her voice is great and the music swells around her without ever fully enveloping her. Even the little keyboard bridge is great, and it shouldn't be. Really enjoying this

Probably the most surprising pick of the walrus... In second place, with 13pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Rise Like A Phoenix by Conchita Wurst

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 10/10
Total EN Score: 92%

Newness comment: I recognise the name from Eurovision a few years ago, but don't know any of their songs
Fit comment: Holy crap! Wow. I mean, yeah, just have full marks
Song comment: I'm not a Eurovision man, think I've only watched it once. When I saw this I'll admit I was a little (OK, a lot) cynical, but this is a cracking tune! I don't know if you thought it was brave entering it but I think it was, well outside my usual listening realm and I really like it, great pick

Which means today's winner, with 14pts, is

SpoilerShow Content

with Snake Eater (Live) by Video Game Orchestra

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Newness comment: There's a video game orchestra? I mean, of course there is, I guess. They'll be a bit tinpot though, right...?
Fit comment: Oh yeah, this has a got a good Bond feel to it, good pick!
Song comment: This is brilliant. The orchestra is great but the singer really lifts it, her voice is brilliant but the performance moreso, she is really into singing songs from video games on stage Smile

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 11-10-2021

(11-10-2021, 09:34 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Long Way Down by Robert DeLong

They said: Honestly, if someone turned around and told you this was actually the track for the next Bond movie, you'd be hard pushed to not believe them... Aside from a few swear words that probably wouldn't fit the brief it has everything else you'd expect from a modern Bond movie, so no brainer for the category.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 8/10

Newness comment: Never heard of him, full marks!
Fit comment: Ha ha, this is a good fit. I mean, there's a section where the Bond producers could sue for the background riff. It's not quite as good as a couple of others, the distorted vocals at the end cost it slightly, but it's a great pick for this round
Song comment: Really like this, starts strong and the drop into the chorus is great. I don't love his voice, but it's a minor criticism. Overall a very strong song

Glad you liked it. Not too unlike Homer I'm no overly familiar with Bond movies (saw 2 Pierce Brosnan ones when I was a kid, the one with Sean Bean and the one with Teri Hatcher, but I barely remember them), but loving this category for a Walrus, some cracking tunes all around, making it into the top 5 for this category is an achievement in itself it seems.

Great number one. Snake Eater! It's from Metal Gear Solid 3 but I'm sure you knew that E.N....

The singer is Irish iirc

(11-10-2021, 09:45 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Glad you liked it. Not too unlike Homer I'm no overly familiar with Bond movies (saw 2 Pierce Brosnan ones when I was a kid, the one with Sean Bean and the one with Teri Hatcher, but I barely remember them), but loving this category for a Walrus, some cracking tunes all around, making it into the top 5 for this category is an achievement in itself it seems.

It really is, loved this round. Like I said, 1pt out of 25 split the top four

(11-10-2021, 09:47 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Great number one. Snake Eater! It's from Metal Gear Solid 3 but I'm sure you knew that E.N....
I'm not a gamer but I have actually played the original MGS so I do know who Snake is Tongue

The only thing I remember from that soundtrack is the fecking bolt of noise when the baddies spot you!

So Shane stretches the lead by another point and osh jumps up to compete.
I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, Shane's run of scores or the fact that he's not actually that far ahead despite that run

PlayerSimpleTitleBeatlesBondTotal
Shane1412111249
R.Soaps814101143
osh111051440
Zaph10119939
Homer13871038
Aris5136832
cee_jay7731330
Liz9314329
Neo1912628
Sephi1252726
nothing3613123
Sawduck644519
Kol418215
Necro22149

Two rounds left - Shout out to the DJ and The Big Finale. Hoping to go again tomorrow night

(11-10-2021, 09:47 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Great number one. Snake Eater! It's from Metal Gear Solid 3 but I'm sure you knew that E.N....

The singer is Irish iirc

Not Irish, I was confused with this other MGS song

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 11-10-2021

(11-10-2021, 09:40 PM)E.N. Wrote: Probably the most surprising pick of the walrus... In second place, with 13pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Rise Like A Phoenix by Conchita Wurst

I said:
Newness:
4/5

Newness comment: I recognise the name from Eurovision a few years ago, but don't know any of their songs
Fit comment: Holy crap! Wow. I mean, yeah, just have full marks
Song comment: I'm not a Eurovision man, think I've only watched it once. When I saw this I'll admit I was a little (OK, a lot) cynical, but this is a cracking tune! I don't know if you thought it was brave entering it but I think it was, well outside my usual listening realm and I really like it, great pick

Didnt think it was brave, but it was the first song that came to mind when I saw the category. Every time I looked, it was all I could think of. I am a massive Eurovision fan, so presume everyone else is I guess! Glad you liked it and you were surprised by it. You might have to re-evaluate watching Eurovision next year Wink

(11-10-2021, 09:53 PM)cee_jay Wrote: You might have to re-evaluate watching Eurovision next year Wink
Ha ha, one step at a time Tongue

I'm coming for your spot @ShaneU

[Image: dumb-and.gif]

(11-10-2021, 09:57 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: I'm coming for your spot @ShaneU

Next round was a struggle, probably a zero for newness anyway

(11-10-2021, 09:58 PM)ShaneU Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 09:57 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: I'm coming for your spot @ShaneU

Next round was a struggle, probably a zero for newness anyway

Reckon I'm f**ked for the next round too to be honest, so you've likely got nothing to fear from me anyway.  Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 11-10-2021

Glad you liked it, a first first!

Here's a scene featuring the song from the game  Big Grin

A little disappointed with the beatles round score though. I mean 0/5 for the second half of the song seems harsh!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 11-10-2021

Some really great tracks this round

(11-10-2021, 10:29 PM)osh Wrote: A little disappointed with the beatles round score though. I mean 0/5 for the second half of the song seems harsh!
It was because the first half offered so much promise! It was like getting a PS5 shaped present at Christmas and you open to find a George Foreman grill!

Now don't get me wrong, I like a George Foreman grill, but in the situation it's just so disappointing Tongue

(11-10-2021, 10:44 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 10:29 PM)osh Wrote: A little disappointed with the beatles round score though. I mean 0/5 for the second half of the song seems harsh!
It was because the first half offered so much promise! It was like getting a PS5 shaped present at Christmas and you open to find a George Foreman grill!

Now don't get me wrong, I like a George Foreman grill, but in the situation it's just so disappointing Tongue

Makes more sense when you put it like that I guess  Big Grin

It was used at the end of American Beauty. Think I read that Sam Mendes wasn't able to get the rights to the Beatles version or something, so he rang Elliott Smith and he came up with that in a few hours

(11-10-2021, 10:53 PM)osh Wrote: It was used at the end of American Beauty. Think I read that Sam Mendes wasn't able to get the rights to the Beatles version or something, so he rang Elliott Smith and he came up with that in a few hours
Similar happened with I Am Sam. The entire soundtrack is Beatles covers by various artists. I came to it because there's a Nick Cave version of Let It Be on there. It's not an amazing album overall but is worth a listen, there's a few gems on there

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Homer J. Fong - 11-10-2021

(11-10-2021, 09:30 PM)E.N. Wrote: Song comment: This was a really pleasant surprise. I know Lana Del Rey's early singles and kind of liked them, listened to a few other songs of hers and nothing really grabbed me but this is really good. Thanks for getting in onto my radar, really enjoying it.

I would heartily recommend checking out the Norman Fucking Rockwell! album, definitely contains some of her best work; "Mariners Apartment Complex" and Cinnamon Girl" in particular are probably my two favourites by her.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 12-10-2021

Still aiming for the next round tonight!

This time it's "Shoutout to the DJ!"
Hey Mr… Superstar DJs… got this party started, there’s no end in sight.
I don’t know why but I like songs that call out the DJ, so give a song that does that please.
I'm imagining this may be a pop and dance round, which wouldn't be my usual sort of thing, but take it anywhere you want

In case you missed the references there...

"Hey Mr DJ, put a record on, I want to dance with my baby" is Music by Madonna
"Superstar DJs, here we go" is Hey Boy Hey Girl by The Chemical Brothers
"DJ's got this party started, there’s no end in sight is Don't Stop Moving by S Club 7

...but obviously no one would have entered one of those, given I mentioned them. Right?! Tongue

Aside from those obvious examples, I would have nominated Atlantis to Interzone by Klaxons, which Homer told me he had also considered (the other one you mentioned is also entered!). I love Klaxons, and this is probably them at their most Klaxons-ish...

See you back here at 9!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 12-10-2021

I have a feeling my relative consistency to date is going to crash and burn in this round. As someone who hates pretty much all dance music, and as a result doesn't listen to music where DJs would be referenced, coming up with anything for this round was a real struggle.

(12-10-2021, 03:20 PM)Zaph Wrote: ...coming up with anything for this round was a real struggle.

Yeah, a lot of people said similar. In hindsight this wasn't a very good category Undecided
Oh well, live and learn!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 12-10-2021

(12-10-2021, 03:42 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 03:20 PM)Zaph Wrote: ...coming up with anything for this round was a real struggle.

Yeah, a lot of people said similar. In hindsight this wasn't a very good category  Undecided
Oh well, live and learn!

In fairness, it could well have been a great round for some people.  It's the same for every round, there'll always be someone who finds it tough.  My turn for this round. Sad

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 12-10-2021

That was one of the easy selections for me. . . but one that I suspect will land me very low in the list.
No regrets though!!!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 12-10-2021

I fear I may have another bomb tonight

(11-10-2021, 09:58 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Next round was a struggle, probably a zero for newness anyway
(11-10-2021, 10:04 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Reckon I'm f**ked for the next round too to be honest, so you've likely got nothing to fear from me anyway.  Tongue
(12-10-2021, 03:20 PM)Zaph Wrote: I have a feeling my relative consistency to date is going to crash and burn in this round.  As someone who hates pretty much all dance music, and as a result doesn't listen to music where DJs would be referenced, coming up with anything for this round was a real struggle.
(12-10-2021, 05:26 PM)Irish Aris Wrote: That was one of the easy selections for me. . . but one that I suspect will land me very low in the list.
No regrets though!!!
(12-10-2021, 05:47 PM)nothing Wrote: I fear I may have another bomb tonight

You can't all come last pac

I have a feeling I went with Robbie again, definitely last if I did!

(12-10-2021, 06:43 PM)nothing Wrote: I have a feeling I went with Robbie again, definitely last if I did!
No, you didn't!
Guessing you meant Rock DJ? Not as bad as Millennium, but may still have come bottom Tongue

(12-10-2021, 07:13 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 06:43 PM)nothing Wrote: I have a feeling I went with Robbie again, definitely last if I did!
No, you didn't!
Guessing you meant Rock DJ? Not as bad as Millennium, but may still have come bottom Tongue

Wooo! Though still won't be offended if I am last lol

OK, let us begin!

In joint 13th place, with 1.5pts each, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Panic by The Smiths

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: I think everyone knows this, right?!
Song comment: Just gonna say it, I don't like The Smiths. My old flatmate loved them and spent ages trying to convince me so I've been overexposed but never got it. This song comes on loads in the sort of indie clubs I used to go to, I always went to the bar! So sorry, bad pick for me

Well that's thrown the top of the table wide open, can Soapy, osh, Zaph, Homer take advantage...?

In 12th place, with 3pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Hey DJ / I Can't Dance (To The Music You're Playing) by Beatmasters

They said: Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation and will happily take last place in this category

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Song: 2/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: I feel like I know bits of it, but not sure
Song comment: Ha ha, no. It starts alright but very quickly descends into... I mean, what is this??

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 12-10-2021

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
That I finished above The Smiths, love these walruses!!

(12-10-2021, 09:07 PM)Irish Aris Wrote: Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
That I finished above The Smiths, love these walruses!!
Can't argue with my scoring system Tongue

In 11th place, with 4pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with By Your Side by Calvin Harris

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Song: 4/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: Knew it when I heard it, though wouldn't have known who it was
Song comment: No, sorry, it's just not for me. I quite like the vocals but the music around it is just doing nothing for me. The instrumental breaks are just annoying, not digging it