A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 26-02-2022

It's coming back now. Wonder if we'll get a debrief on what happened?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 02:56 PM)thomil Wrote: It's coming back now. Wonder if we'll get a debrief on what happened?

It would be nice to be informed of exactly what happened alright . 
Weird .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 26-02-2022

It doesn't seem like the people of any country are in favour of this. Putin seems very much on his own, though China, India and UAE all abstained from the UN vote against the Russian actions (which Russia vetoed, to the surprise of no one).

I was chatting with a few people about it yesterday and just realised how completely and utterly helpless we are as individuals, and how reliant we are on government to do what's right. At least with covid, there are small personal actions we can take (or not) as individuals. There's some small element of personal control. This invasion is so beyond any of that.

I'm very much having a "NOPE" day, have been avoiding most sites where news will pop up, haven't got the tv or radio on, have zero motivation to do anything much and just think I might go back to bed for a few hours. Probably not helping that I had Thurs/Fri on reduced meds because I forgot to pick up a prescription.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 12:35 AM)thomil Wrote: Thank you very much Necro, I'll be giving this place a wide berth then, given your welcoming attitude!

Apologies Thomil, I probably should have specified it was the government I was speaking of, not the people. Same with Italy and in particular that crackpot Orban in Hungary. 

Much like I bear no ill will to the Russian people in general - though Putin and his cronies can do us all a favour and jump in the Black Sea!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 03:08 PM)nothing Wrote: It doesn't seem like the people of any country are in favour of this. Putin seems very much on his own, though China, India and UAE all abstained from the UN vote against the Russian actions (which Russia vetoed, to the surprise of no one).

China abstaining is the best anyone could have hoped for.  They were never going to vote in favour of the resolution, but there was also a very real fear that they would side with Russia.  India abstaining probably isn't too much of a surprise either, the Indian military have been one of Russia's largest arms markets for years.  The UAE's position is harder to understand.  Militarily they've always been aligned with the west and while they've dome some deals with Russia most of their military inventory comes from the west.  They'd also be beneficiaries of any restrictions on Russian oil and gas exports.

Of course all of this is irrelevant because Russia, as a permanent member of the UN Security Council, will simply veto any resolution condemning them or suggesting action to be taken.  The veto power of the five permanent members makes a mockery of the Security Council and really there should be rules in place to recuse any member from having a say in a vote that directly impacts them.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 26-02-2022

Our neighbours are having a row. They are very nice and I've never heard them like this before. He is shouting and I think she is crying.....I dunno...feels weird. 😒

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 08:10 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Our neighbours are having a row. They are very nice and I've never heard them like this before. He is shouting and I think she is crying.....I dunno...feels weird. 😒

The guy who delivered my takeaway said there were people outside with guns. :/

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 08:46 PM)nothing Wrote: The guy who delivered my takeaway said there were people outside with guns. :/

Dodgy      When did you move to Kiev ?

In other news the microwave has expired.
It needs a new pan galactic gargle blaster and also, maybe, a  magnetron - so its an economic right-off Sad

Suggestions on what to get / avoid as a replacement ?

(26-02-2022, 09:18 PM)dawg Wrote:
(26-02-2022, 08:46 PM)nothing Wrote: The guy who delivered my takeaway said there were people outside with guns. :/

It needs a new pan galactic gargle blaster and also, maybe, a  magnetron - so its an economic right-off Sad

Get one with a digital display, I cheaped out and got one with a twisty dial and timing anything is annoying!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 26-02-2022

@thomil , Might https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4eDWJCg4lo be the root cause of many of German's present day issues ?
Democracy perhaps isnt so great when the majority are geriatric.

( Posted by a geriatric )

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Tigger - 26-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 02:51 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote:
(26-02-2022, 02:37 PM)thomil Wrote: Also, it looks as if someone has compromised mod accounts over on boards and is completely deleting any discussion of the ongoing war! The Russia thread in which I"d been somewhat active is being wiped out over the last couple of minutes.

The thread is completely gone now , which seems absolutely crazy plus it was the only thread targeted.  Your posts on the thread were informative and  very balanced Thomil .
Boards is dead, I was a member since 00 and and a very active poster from 05 and the way it changed from a place for free and inclusive discussion to what it is now is a mirror for society.
But they say I should t mourn the loss of a think only be glad I got to experiy it before it was gone.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 26-02-2022

Oh that's certainly part of the reason, dawg!

However, there are other aspects as well. Generational trauma regarding war, given that may of my age still know people who lived through the war ourselves, is part of the issue.

Another part, believe it or not, is Germany's earlier successes in dealing with the USSR, dating back to Konrad Adenauer getting the last 10,000 German PoWs back in 1955. Ever since Chancellor Willy Brandt started his "Ostpolitik" rapprochement with the USSR and Eastern Europe back in the mid 1960s, Germany has used a combination of back-channel diplomacy and economic & social engagement to deal with Russia. This allowed Germany to defuse a number of crises in the 1970s or 1980s that could have otherwise turned ugly and it was a major factor in the successful reunification of Germany. This policy allowed Germany to work with pretty much every Russian leader since Khrushchev, so when Vladimir Putin came to power in 1999, it seemed like he would continue that pattern, and Putin was indeed very friendly with Germany in the beginning. I remember watching a speech of his in front of the Bundestag in the early 2000s where he talked, in fluent and almost accent-free German no less, about the cultural bonds between Russia and Germany. This is also the atmosphere in which the now so controversial Nordstream project was born, a series of pipelines that would help Russia get back on its feet economically and would lead to closer trade with Germany and the rest of Europe, integrating Russia into the continental political system after decades of isolation and decline.

Now, none of this is any excuse for Germany's inaction since the 2014 invasion of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea. That's where amongst other things the geriatric ossification of German politics, particularly during the latter half of the Merkel years, comes in. However, it hopefully clarifies where some of the initial reluctance comes from. If a policy has served you well since the 1960s, you're very hesitant about just throwing it out.

(26-02-2022, 10:27 PM)thomil Wrote: ....

However, there are other aspects as well. Generational trauma regarding war, given that may of my age still know people who lived through the war ourselves, is part of the issue.

What is this Generational trauma ?

One of my parents was in part of the RAF for WWII.

I'm not unusual in this regard ( at least in the vicinity of where I live )

My parents generation seemed to have more or less got over it by the mid 60's. Except for a guy who lived up the road from here and had been in the engineers. He refused to consider buying a German car....so instead he got a Citroen DS 21.....Which was way cooler than anything that came out of Germany at the time Smile

(26-02-2022, 10:56 PM)dawg Wrote:
(26-02-2022, 10:27 PM)thomil Wrote: ....

What is this Generational trauma ?

One of my parents was in part of the RAF for WWII.

I'm not unusual in this regard ( at least in the vicinity of where I live )

My parents generation seemed to have more or less got over it by the mid 60's. Except for a guy who lived up the road from here and had been in the engineers. He refused to consider buying a German car....so instead he got a Citroen DS 21.....Which was way cooler than anything that came out of Germany at the time Smile

It's not just the war as such. There was also the loss of a lot of ancestral German territory. Silesia, Pomerania, East Prussia, all of these had been German for generations, in some cases centuries. At the end of the war, this territory was stripped away, the German population there forced to flee, sometimes under horrific circumstances. That is before the shock of the partition of Germany and later the building of the Berlin Wall. Now, while I'm of the opinion that Germany deserved all it got once the shelling of the Westerplatte began, these actions have left extremely deep scars on the German psyche, which were only compounded when the full extent of the holocaust became widely known.

While most of Europe suffered horribly during the war, including the UK, many were spared this territorial dismemberment. Only Poland was equally mauled as far as I remember, with much of THEIR ancestral lands now being part of Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. Oh, Germans have functionally gotten over it alright, and for my generation, the War is mainly a historic event. However, Germans as a whole know their history very well and that colours policy decisions to this day.

EDIT: Oh, and you're damn right, that DS 21 is cool as hell!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 27-02-2022

My uncle in law was a child in the early 1940s living in southern England, on only one occasion in my hearing he has spoken of the bombings and fear, his father away fighting, being sent to the country, separated from family, his childhood best friend getting killed. Now in his late 80s he is still traumatised by the scars of WW2. My other British Uncle speaks of his Dad's experiences digging trenches in France in WW1 but only as he learned them from third party sources as they couldn't speak of them, and not of his own days in the navy in Korea I believe. It is hard to imagine anyone faced with these circumstances, my heart breaks for the people.

There have been many civil wars in my memory (and many wars I did not notice being protected from current affairs), but I think it is the invasion by Russia of somewhere close enough to home that makes this shocking for me. I accidentally heard news today and got upset listening to stories of ordinary Ukrainians taking up arms to try maintain their freedoms.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 28-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 09:18 PM)dawg Wrote:

imho.

the options are limited by what you are looking for.

1.size
what do you want to put in the microwave. don't get one where you cannot fit what you desire to heat cook into it.

2. timer

analog or digital do you want to turn a knob or push buttons?

after you have sorted the above, the last factor could be wattage, but everything seems to be powerful these days.

just get the cheapest that satisfies the above requirements.

don't buy brandname and don't buy the more expensive option, because it does not mean better.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 28-02-2022

(26-02-2022, 09:31 PM)nothing Wrote:
(26-02-2022, 09:18 PM)dawg Wrote: Dodgy      When did you move to Kiev ?

Get one with a digital display, I cheaped out and got one with a twisty dial and timing anything is annoying!

where you say cheaped out, i see that as having picked the wrong option 'for you'.
some people would pay more to get a knob you turn to set the cooking time than having to learn how to use the digital computer attached to the oven.

is the clock on your oven set correctly? some peoples never say anything other that flashing 00:00.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 28-02-2022

(28-02-2022, 01:44 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(26-02-2022, 09:31 PM)nothing Wrote: Get one with a digital display, I cheaped out and got one with a twisty dial and timing anything is annoying!

where you say cheaped out, i see that as having picked the wrong option 'for you'.
some people would pay more to get a knob you turn to set the cooking time than having to learn how to use the digital computer attached to the oven.

is the clock on your oven set correctly? some peoples never say anything other that flashing 00:00.

My oven doesn't have a clock Sad

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 28-02-2022

(28-02-2022, 01:46 PM)nothing Wrote:
(28-02-2022, 01:44 PM)Neowise Wrote: where you say cheaped out, i see that as having picked the wrong option 'for you'.

My oven doesn't have a clock Sad

My over has a clock, it is always wrong as I use it as a timer to count up from zero (or whatever it says when I start something 🤣)
I miss having a digital microwave, though the most used setting was the 30 second boost button, and the clock on that was never set either 😆

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 28-02-2022

Mood is rotten, so have ditched college today. And probably tomorrow.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 28-02-2022

NO MASK DAY!!!!!!!!!

Oh but it was glorious. So many lovely faces and expressions 😄

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 28-02-2022

With all the other things going on in the world I totally forgot we could demask today.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 28-02-2022

I have a lovely head cold , nose slightly looks like Rudolph, so the mask actually came I handy for hiding that today ☺

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - BuileBeag - 28-02-2022

In my line of work I have to keep wearing them. I don't mind, whatevs! I was surprised by how many were still wearing them today though. There more with them than without them when I was in Tesco. I couldn't help wondering how much of that was people just not realising or forgetting that today was the day!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 28-02-2022

(28-02-2022, 08:54 PM)BuileBeag Wrote: In my line of work I have to keep wearing them. I don't mind, whatevs! I was surprised by how many were still wearing them today though.  There more with them than without them when I was in Tesco. I couldn't help wondering how much of that was people just not realising or forgetting that today was the day!

Most of the talk has shifted to the Russia-Ukraine conflict on the news. There's feck all talk about Covid so people are probably just so used to wearing them at this point it makes no difference.
I like that we have that choice, part of the pros of Western democracy  Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - jp liz v1 - 28-02-2022

I still wore my mask today, I think I'm just so used to it and still fear too

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 28-02-2022

I went for a haircut after work. The barber said I was only the second person they'd seen today who was wearing a mask. While Covid has diminished significantly, my high risk category is permanent, so I don't feel quite ready yet to discard it in such settings. Maybe for my next haircut...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 01-03-2022

Some with and some without masks today, no real comments in either direction, or judgment. GP changed up one of my meds, so we'll see how that goes, he had a hot student doctor in today, so was happy they managed to squeeze me in for a last minute appointment.

Didn't realise just how bad I was until I spoke with the counsellor today. Stupid resistant depression. Zero stars, would not recommend.

How were everyone's pancakes today? I picked up premade in the shop earlier but haven't eaten any yet. Got some nutella to go on them. Though butter, sugar, lemon might also be employed! Some girl on the radio said she likes a block of ice cream in hers... I can't imagine wrapping a whole block in one pancake!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 01-03-2022

Today was Pancake Tuesday? Never realised. So no meat tomorrow, ffs.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 01-03-2022

Toto made the thinnest, most delicate crepes I've ever had and they were amazing. She had dark chocolate chips and toasted hazelnuts on hers. Mine had loads of melted butter and some maple syrup. Just as well she was restrained in how much batter she made, I'd still be eating them otherwise!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - aaronjennings - 01-03-2022

Ours were supposed to be crepe-style, with enough mixture to make 10... I made them so thick that we only had enough for 5 Big Grin

Just cream, sugar and lemon juice for us

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 01-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 10:44 PM)Zaph Wrote: Toto made the thinnest, most delicate crepes I've ever had and they were amazing.  She had dark chocolate chips and toasted hazelnuts on hers.  Mine had loads of melted butter and some maple syrup.  Just as well she was restrained in how much batter she made, I'd still be eating them otherwise!

Ditto, we had maple syrup ones and lemon ones. Absolutely delish  Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 01-03-2022

Thanks all for the microwave suggestions.  The one I ended up with has both buttons and a knob Tongue 

Noticed that Argos Irl have no microwaves showing in stock....Perhaps yet one more thing thats just not worth the admin effort since Brexit ?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 02-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 10:34 PM)nothing Wrote: Some with and some without masks today, no real comments in either direction, or judgment. GP changed up one of my meds, so we'll see how that goes, he had a hot student doctor in today, so was happy they managed to squeeze me in for a last minute appointment.

Didn't realise just how bad I was until I spoke with the counsellor today. Stupid resistant depression. Zero stars, would not recommend.

How were everyone's pancakes today? I picked up premade in the shop earlier but haven't eaten any yet. Got some nutella to go on them. Though butter, sugar, lemon might also be employed! Some girl on the radio said she likes a block of ice cream in hers... I can't imagine wrapping a whole block in one pancake!
Oh you just reminded me of a dessert I had before. Ice cream wrapped in a crepe, with some strawberry syrup over the top, with a flaming sambuca thrown over it all. Amazing!

Unfortunately today I had a pancake with lemon and sugar, but it was made.for.me and ready for when I got home from work.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 02-03-2022

I like pancakes thin with sugar lemon and cinnamon 🤤 I was hit by the fatigue yesterday so even if I'd planned to make some that would have gone by the wayside in favour of sleep 🤣

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 02-03-2022

Our old house in Dublin, that we sold last year, is up for rent. €2,600 a month. It's an amazing house, but still crazy money, over 30k a year on rent. Our mortgage was half that

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 10:08 PM)E.N. Wrote: Our old house in Dublin, that we sold last year, is up for rent. €2,600 a month. It's an amazing house, but still crazy money, over 30k a year on rent. Our mortgage was half that

Rent is mad particularly in cities. My landlord hasn't put mine up in over 4 years but I had a look recently at comps and I'm possibly over 20% below market despite already spending way too much on rent 🙈

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Butty Brennan - 03-03-2022

So glad to be free of the mask at last. No more uncomfortably hot, clammy and itchy face and runny nose, or feeling like someone is trying to cut your ears off with a hacksaw. They used to give me a pounding headache as well  if I wore them for too long.
It was great to go to the shop and see the smile on the face of the girl who served me. I never realised how impersonal the masks make people. We humans are hardwired to read the entire face when interacting with each other.

edit: something else that I did regularly, walked all the way across the carpark to the supermarket door only to realise I've left the damn mask in the car and have to go all the way back again. Good riddance.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Tigger - 03-03-2022

I has a question

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 04-03-2022

🤣🙈