A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 18-01-2022

(18-01-2022, 07:52 PM)Necro Wrote: Happy birthday, I'm actually not back to work yet after Dad passing. Going to chance it next week hopefully but I shall see nearer the time. Best of luck in the interviews!
Thanks mate, hope you're doing OK. Good luck with the return to work, be sure to look after yourself

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 18-01-2022

Happy birthday @E.N. and best of luck with the interviews.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - aaronjennings - 18-01-2022

Happy birthday EN, hopefully you're able to celebrate it in some fashion Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Sephiroth_Dude - 18-01-2022

(18-01-2022, 11:41 AM)E.N. Wrote: I am no longer the answer to life, the universe and everything!

That's a cryptic way of giving away my age and telling you to say happy birthday to me Big Grin

Happy birthday EN! I commissioned these cats to sing happy birthday to ya !

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 19-01-2022

Just waiting for the last file to upload so I can submit my final design assignment! Wooo!

Booooo, my dropchef order never arrived

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 19-01-2022

@dawg Love the pics, thanks for the update. The Mexican navy may not be in the best of shape, they used World War 2 destroyers until a few years ago, but their sail training vessel always cuts an imposing figure. And those ships boats are the real deal, make no mistakes about it. If they're anything like the German Navy, those recruits will be sick and tired of rowing them at the end of their tour on board!

@E.N. Happy Birthday!!! I'll leave the singing to Seph's cat choir Big Grin

Tableside, after another busy day at work. You'd think that with most of the performance reviews out of the way, I'd have a chance to catch my breath and get caught up with all the stuff that fell by the wayside these last two weeks, but no chance of that happening. I wish my bank account would grow half as fast as my to do list is!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 19-01-2022

In work with the hypochondrias. Would they ever fuck off. Been plagued since I was a teenager.

Arrythmia or some brain related awfulness is the latest. Might go to my doc for reassurance *embarrassed face*

The faster my heart beats the weirder my head feels!!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 19-01-2022

Oh I know that feeling better than I'd like, Diamonds. Nothing worse than your mind taking you down those types of rabbit holes. I hope you get that sorted soon, nothing wrong with talking to a doc about that

Tableside here, finished with the Year-end reviews that I needed to run. Only my own to go now pac

Still tired though, it's definitely a multi-coffee day, even in the evening...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 19-01-2022

Sofaside, ended up taking today off as I was shattered, plus the counsellor suggested it too. It has been nice to chill out guilt free. Hoping we'll be back in the college next week, online only is taking it out of me, and finding it so hard to switch off.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 19-01-2022

(19-01-2022, 07:49 PM)thomil Wrote: Oh I know that feeling better than I'd like, Diamonds. Nothing worse than your mind taking you down those types of rabbit holes. I hope you get that sorted soon, nothing wrong with talking to a doc about that

Tableside here, finished with the Year-end reviews that I needed to run. Only my own to go now pac

Still tired though, it's definitely a multi-coffee day, even in the evening...
Thank you thomil Smile

I hope you give yourself an excellent review! Big Grin

Unfortunately, it's my boss's turn to review me pac I should be okay, I mean I already got the confirmation about a raise, but my mind tends to paint out the worst case scenarios in worryingly vivid colours.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 19-01-2022

I'd say they are sh***ing themselves that you might jump ship ( like almost everyone else in the country  seems to be  Big Grin  )  .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 20-01-2022

Between the raise, the gifts, the amazing office (once we’re allowed back in, that is) and possibly the best team I’ve ever had in my career so far, I must be pretty much the only sucker in Ireland who has no intention of moving to another company Big Grin

Seriously though, this job is pretty everything I could ask for from a professional point of view. It’s not my dream job, but Starfleet Academy isn’t accepting new applicants for their command training program, so I’ll take the second best option instead Wink

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 20-01-2022

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/carers-will-not-receive-pandemic-bonus-due-to-financial-constraints-says-mcgrath-1.4781332

I don't think this bonus thing is very fair.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 02:49 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/carers-will-not-receive-pandemic-bonus-due-to-financial-constraints-says-mcgrath-1.4781332

In what way?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 03:57 PM)nothing Wrote:
(20-01-2022, 02:49 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/carers-will-not-receive-pandemic-bonus-due-to-financial-constraints-says-mcgrath-1.4781332

In what way?
It's not financially possible to give the bonus to other sectors who worked with the public and/or cared for people so I wouldn't give it to anyone.

Carers for example, GPs, teachers, retail staff, transport providers, childcare staff, those people won't get a bonus. At least I don't think they will.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 20-01-2022

Agreed, Gardaí would be another big group with a strong claim.
Not that the health care workers don't deserve it, but I think it will cause more aggravation than anything.

(20-01-2022, 04:41 PM)ari101 Wrote: Agreed, Gardaí would be another big group with a strong claim.
Not that the health care workers don't deserve it, but I think it will cause more aggravation than anything.
Oh yes health care workers did tremendous work, although I suppose you could say what else were they going to do as that is their job, same as with any other sector. But the fact is they all faced down Covid and worked with the public when other people could work from home. 

We must be almost broke at this point.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Barna77 - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 04:41 PM)ari101 Wrote: Agreed, Gardaí would be another big group with a strong claim.
Pat Kenny interviewed this morning a garda spokesman (i believe) who was defending their cause for the bonus: we've been dealing with all the anti vax / restrictions demonstrations, we've been spat at, we've done this and that. And PK answered "isnt't this part of your job as a garda?"  Rolleyes

There's going to be murder about this bonus, everyone wants a chunk of it.

(20-01-2022, 05:00 PM)Barna77 Wrote:
Pat Kenny interviewed this morning a garda spokesman (i believe) who was defending their cause for the bonus: we've been dealing with all the anti vax / restrictions demonstrations, we've been spat at, we've done this and that. And PK answered "isnt't this part of your job as a garda?"  Rolleyes

There's going to be murder about this bonus, everyone wants a chunk of it.
It is part of their job, same way as it's a nurse and doctor's job to work in a work with possibly covid positive patients. It's still difficult and challenging and necessary. So in an ideal Ireland it would be bonuses for all who couldn't work from home and 'stay safe'. It's not an ideal Ireland which makes me think that bonuses for no-one is fairer.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 20-01-2022

Add up the cost of all the businesses closed during restrictions, PUP payments, business supports, hiring of private hospitals, extra bank holiday this year and this tax free bonus to some workers ...

It really would have made more sense to protect the vulnerable, allow them to stay at home and let the rest of us get on it with an understanding of the personal risk of not following guidelines. Open everything up to hell!

(20-01-2022, 05:20 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Add up the cost of all the businesses closed during restrictions, PUP payments, business supports, hiring of private hospitals, extra bank holiday this year and this tax free bonus to some workers ...

It really would have made more sense to protect the vulnerable, allow them to stay at home and let the rest of us get on it with an understanding of the personal risk of not following guidelines. Open everything up to hell!
Yes! Perhaps the money could have been spent by investing in HEPA filters or free antigen tests.

Imagine just deciding at 9pm to go for a drink or a late film in the cinema or a late bar at midnight! Jumping on a plane without thinking of tests and being scared you won't be negative. And no God forsaken masks.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 20-01-2022

Can see where you're coming from, though I personally wouldn't begrudge any healthcare worker getting a measly token payment after what they've had to deal with. I don't understand why it's "deserved" by some groups not getting it - this isn't about punishing anyone, it's about thanking those who were at the very heart of it. Also, a pandemic isn't just "doing their job" for healthcare staff, it's unprecedented, once in a lifetime, and it was extra work when there were shortages due to staff being out sick, hospitals being at capacities in ICUs etc not seen in a long time, staff levels at breaking point. It's really not fair to claim other frontline workers were in the same position as healthcare workers. I'm not saying they didn't have it tough, but they certainly weren't in contact to the degree healthcare staff are.

(20-01-2022, 06:00 PM)nothing Wrote: Can see where you're coming from, though I personally wouldn't begrudge any healthcare worker getting a measly token payment after what they've had to deal with. I don't understand why it's "deserved" by some groups not getting it - this isn't about punishing anyone, it's about thanking those who were at the very heart of it. Also, a pandemic isn't just "doing their job" for healthcare staff, it's unprecedented, once in a lifetime, and it was extra work when there were shortages due to staff being out sick, hospitals being at capacities in ICUs etc not seen in a long time, staff levels at breaking point. It's really not fair to claim other frontline workers were in the same position as healthcare workers. I'm not saying they didn't have it tough, but they certainly weren't in contact to the degree healthcare staff are.
I absolutely agree with you that it has been a completely once in a lifetime event and the challenges of that. I also agree that it's about thanking those people. I'm just not sure if I feel that certain other workers were not as impacted.

I suppose it's difficult to actually quantify the impact, as you and Leggy were saying about different things different groups had to deal with

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 05:55 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Imagine just deciding at 9pm to go for a drink or a late film in the cinema or a late bar at midnight! Jumping on a plane without thinking of tests and being scared you won't be negative. And no God forsaken masks.

Sorry to burst your bubble but masks ain't going anywhere... they've pretty much said that most restrictions bar mask wearing are going to be dropped by end of March. Covid pass for international travel is also here to stay for the foreseeable. 

The testing is down to the individual country you're travelling to so even if every restriction was lifted here if you're going somewhere that requires a negative test there's nothing the government can do about that unfortunately.

(20-01-2022, 06:47 PM)Necro Wrote:
(20-01-2022, 05:55 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Imagine just deciding at 9pm to go for a drink or a late film in the cinema or a late bar at midnight! Jumping on a plane without thinking of tests and being scared you won't be negative. And no God forsaken masks.

Sorry to burst your bubble but masks ain't going anywhere... they've pretty much said that most restrictions bar mask wearing are going to be dropped by end of March. Covid pass for international travel is also here to stay for the foreseeable. 

The testing is down to the individual country you're travelling to so even if every restriction was lifted here if you're going somewhere that requires a negative test there's nothing the government can do about that unfortunately.
Oh that doesn't burst my bubble at all because I don't have one Big Grin The law will change in time. 

I'm not a big traveler but the idea of flying with ease is a nice one. Really it's all the same to me though.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Spears - 20-01-2022

Am I the only person that likes wearing masks?  Confused

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 20-01-2022

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1484266621342568455?t=Aa-f1LXLkb8Dd7O8tcwA-g&s=19

Welp, looks like everything is being lifted bar facemasks. Up to Government to decide when now.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 10:22 PM)Necro Wrote: https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1484266621342568455?t=Aa-f1LXLkb8Dd7O8tcwA-g&s=19

Welp, looks like everything is being lifted bar facemasks. Up to Government to decide when now.

But I don't want to go back to the office.  It's full of people.

(20-01-2022, 10:16 PM)Spears Wrote: Am I the only person that likes wearing masks?  Confused
You aren't  Big Grin

I think my hatred for them is in the minority. I love people and their faces and expressions. It's one way I can connect so I feel the mask gets in the way of that. I get a lot from interaction with others and being able to see a person's face is part of that. I miss smiles  Sad

In work I really need to see the other person's face and it's equally important that they can see mine so in the early ish days of the pandemic I had a perspex screen between us. I could have insisted on a mask and of course if my clients chose to wear one or wanted me to wear one then absolutely. That didn't happen thankfully. Then vaccinations happened and now the screen is gone as well. HUZZAH!

In saying all that they are a small price to pay for our normality so I'm happy with that.

(20-01-2022, 10:16 PM)Spears Wrote: Am I the only person that likes wearing masks?  Confused

I like that it keeps my face warm in the cold weather Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 20-01-2022

Everything bar masks gone just like that????

No need for Covid passes either, it's all a bit odd!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 10:55 PM)nothing Wrote:

That's what my beard is for Big Grin

(20-01-2022, 10:55 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Everything bar masks gone just like that????

Leg get your dancing shoes on! Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 10:55 PM)nothing Wrote:

Exactly my thought, good when there is a real cutting wind pac

I'm not adverse to keeping them for public transport if we go back to crushing in like sardines - might save me a few cold viruses Big Grin Otherwise, as a glasses wearer in particular, I can't wait to be rid!!!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 20-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 10:50 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(20-01-2022, 10:22 PM)Necro Wrote: https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1484266621342568455?t=Aa-f1LXLkb8Dd7O8tcwA-g&s=19

But I don't want to go back to the office.  It's full of people.
I think our premises are downsizing, we may no longer have our own work station and will have to book one if you want to work from the office.

(20-01-2022, 10:58 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(20-01-2022, 10:55 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Everything bar masks gone just like that????

Leg get your dancing shoes on! Big Grin
I'm going to rebel and chance my arm in shops without a mask.

Vive la révolution! Tongue

An earlier than anticipated lifting... Exact dates to be decided...

I'll believe it when I see it Big Grin