A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:24 AM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: FOGGIES UNITE!!

I bought new curtains. They are rather creased. Neo thinks that the creases will fall out when we hang them. I think I'm going to have to iron them. The thoughts of ironing them though...Jaysus. Would you be bothered? Who here irons their curtains? These are the thoughts that plague me.
Hang them and direct steam from the iron at them when they're hanging.

Alternatively, pretend the creases are intentional and look pitifully at anyone who mentions creases.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:36 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 01:24 AM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: FOGGIES UNITE!!

I bought new curtains. They are rather creased. Neo thinks that the creases will fall out when we hang them. I think I'm going to have to iron them. The thoughts of ironing them though...Jaysus. Would you be bothered? Who here irons their curtains? These are the thoughts that plague me.
Hang them and direct steam from the iron at them when they're hanging.

Alternatively, pretend the creases are intentional and look pitifully at anyone who mentions creases.
I might go with the second option Leg  Cool  Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:44 AM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 01:36 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Hang them and direct steam from the iron at them when they're hanging.

I might go with the second option Leg  Cool  Big Grin
If they're in front of a rad close the curtains, spray with water and let the heat of the rad smooth them out.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 08-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:24 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 01:44 AM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: I might go with the second option Leg  Cool  Big Grin
If they're in front of a rad close the curtains, spray with water and let the heat of the rad smooth them out.
They aren't. They both hanging now. I'll run the steam from the iron over them. Or maybe mammy in law has a steamer yoke.

You are a fount of domestic tips Leg! Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 08-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 02:19 PM)nothing Wrote: Almost missed my first class this morning after a late night. Completely wrecked now after 3 hours of research and notes on typographical design. More to do later to stay on schedule. Uber moody.
I used to study typography just for fun, always loved lettering.  Hope it was fun for you, and that your studies are going well, nothing.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 08-01-2022

Sofaside, requested a quote for a screen repair for my macbook, have been advised advised that it could come in anywhere between 150 - 600 euro 

Le sigh. Hopefully it's on the low end and I can stop doing all of my online time on my phone pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 08-01-2022

Eeeep that's crazy!

Sofaside, had a very lazy day, avoided course work, avoided phone calls, ignored knocks on door. Sometimes I just want the world to leave me the fuck alone.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 08-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 11:15 PM)Trigger Wrote: Sofaside, requested a quote for a screen repair for my macbook, have been advised advised that it could come in anywhere between 150 - 600 euro 

Le sigh. Hopefully it's on the low end and I can stop doing all of my online time on my phone pac
Aren't they known for gouging on repairs and "advising"  it's cheaper to  buy new (even for the smallest repairs)? I have a macbook pro with a backlight  fuse problem; their minimum quote was 600, with their  "better to buy new" warning....  A year before, a new powercord was purchased - very nice looking, but the fancy gel-like covering just didn't last, rendering it useless (much too quickly for the high price.)

I hope the repair process (and price) works in your favour, Trigger.

(08-01-2022, 11:23 PM)nothing Wrote: Eeeep that's crazy!

Sofaside, had a very lazy day, avoided course work, avoided phone calls, ignored knocks on door. Sometimes I just want the world to leave me the fuck alone.
I understand ^ completely. 

Some days you just need time to yourself without any outwardly pressures. X 

I am still in my pyjamas, after a much too social day friday.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 09-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 11:33 PM)DejaBoo Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 11:15 PM)Trigger Wrote: Sofaside, requested a quote for a screen repair for my macbook, have been advised advised that it could come in anywhere between 150 - 600 euro 

Aren't they known for gouging on repairs and "advising"  it's cheaper to  buy new (even for the smallest repairs)? I have a macbook pro with a backlight  fuse problem; their minimum quote was 600, with their  "better to buy new" warning....  A year before, a new powercord was purchased - very nice looking, but the fancy gel-like covering just didn't last, rendering it useless (much too quickly for the high price.)

I hope the repair process (and price) works  in your favour, Trigger.
I wouldn't go near apple for repairs as they are just mad money, it's an older model but still runs perfectly, it's a 2014 Retina which may make it a bit more expensive.. went to a few repair shops that I have used before for phones, consoles and tablets for repairs. A new screen bought on its own from dealers can cost 300e at least but hoping they can do me a deal, most I'll spend is 250e I'd say.

The screen chipped and bled and is unusable totally, so with these you need to replace the whole top panel. If it costs too much I'll leave it and if I need to get stuff from it I'll  hook it up to monitors/TV

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 09-01-2022

Has anyone used dropchef? I've ordered a trial box but won't get it until the 18th

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 09-01-2022

To the shops!!

Although I would like to stay in bed but tomorrow is the beginning of 'normality' so I must readjust.

@nothing is that an ingredients delivery service? All you need for a particular dinner.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 09-01-2022

(09-01-2022, 04:18 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: To the shops!!

Although I would like to stay in bed but tomorrow is the beginning of 'normality' so I must readjust.

@nothing is that an ingredients delivery service? All you need for a particular dinner.

Yes, exactly that. The trial box I ordered is for 1, with 3 meals (spanish fish stew with couscous, chicken fajita bake and Vietnamese meatballs with noodles) for just under €30. Figured since I'd spend that on lunch out or takeaways anyway, be nice to try something different.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 09-01-2022

(09-01-2022, 06:25 PM)nothing Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 04:18 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: To the shops!!

Yes, exactly that. The trial box I ordered is for 1, with 3 meals (spanish fish stew with couscous, chicken fajita bake and Vietnamese meatballs with noodles) for just under €30. Figured since I'd spend that on lunch out or takeaways anyway, be nice to try something different.
Ah yes I've heard of it alright. I'd be interested in hearing how you get on. I'm not a great cook but if all the bits are there in front of me I might be more inclined. Maybe.  Confused

I'll definitely keep ye updated

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 09-01-2022

I have a friend who gets the clean cut meals delivered sometimes, she says they are great; tasty and good nutrition (she gets their high protein plan for fitness I think). Be interested to know what drop chef is like.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 09-01-2022

I do not know about healthy food... Blush

....but I think the O'Donovan brothers should narrate every event in the upcoming Olympics! Cool     ...especially the synchronized swimmers, I would watch it then!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 10-01-2022

Classes done for the day. Meeting a friend later. Tired but less grumpy than the weekend. Don't forget to get milk! Should probably get dressed. Sigh.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 10-01-2022

(10-01-2022, 01:08 PM)nothing Wrote: Classes done for the day. Meeting a friend later. Tired but less grumpy than the weekend. Don't forget to get milk! Should probably get dressed. Sigh.

I figure you must be in zoom college at the moment if you still haven't gotten dressed Big Grin What time should we @ you with the milk reminder? Wink

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 10-01-2022

(10-01-2022, 01:18 PM)ari101 Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 01:08 PM)nothing Wrote: Classes done for the day. Meeting a friend later. Tired but less grumpy than the weekend. Don't forget to get milk! Should probably get dressed. Sigh.

I figure you must be in zoom college at the moment if you still haven't gotten dressed Big Grin What time should we @ you with the milk reminder? Wink

We're online on Mon & Fri anyways, but everyday for this week, and they'll let us know the craic near the end of the week. Lots of staff and students either with covid, in isolation or close contacts, so they decided to move us online for the time being.

Will get the milk on the way home after meeting my friend... Hopefully!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 10-01-2022

Better safe until things settle down Smile

(10-01-2022, 02:32 PM)ari101 Wrote: Better safe until things settle down Smile

Absolutely! Did some excellent poster designing in my friends car and remembered to get milk on the way home! Woop!

#winning Big Grin (I might have taken a nap pac)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Barna77 - 10-01-2022

(10-01-2022, 07:08 PM)ari101 Wrote: #winning Big Grin (I might have taken a nap pac)
I need one

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 10-01-2022

(10-01-2022, 05:44 PM)nothing Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 02:32 PM)ari101 Wrote: Better safe until things settle down Smile

Absolutely! Did some excellent poster designing in my friends car and remembered to get milk on the way home! Woop!
Serious question  ...  (sorry)

Whats the score ATM  ?

I'm far, far away but setup to return next week...Is there a 'droping like flies' situation with yourselves.

Would an immunosuppressed gaga old fool be best to stay out of it ?

( I could do even though might P Off a few people)

Would be very grateful for all viewpoints

There's a LOT of cases, but it seems much milder than previous variants, hospital numbers are rising BUT icu seems steady enough. The two big issues at the moment are the overloading in hospitals and isolation/close contacts meaning a lot missing work having a knock on effect of cancelled transport, and temporary closures of places due to lack of staff.

I'm at a PLC college (higher than leaving cert, lower than proper university) and we've been 2 days online/3 days onsite from Sept to xmas. We've been online only this week and last (2 days) because of staff/students being out, we'll know the end of this week if they'll prolong that, likely depending on staffing issues and possibly the absolutely freezing weather as they insist on all windows being open

I suppose if you are vaccinated (and boosted) you hopefully will be protected if you catch something, being immunocompromised brings you a lot more risk though.
It does seem rampant here (the testing system is at full capacity so we aren't probably even identifying all the cases). They don't think we've hit the peak of the latest wave. Hospital admissions are continuing to rise, and with staff shortages, non urgent appointments are being cancelled, etc., however ICU admissions are not increasing notably yet thankfully.
My big fear going away at the start of November was getting sick while away and having somewhere to isolate. I knew I could hide out if I got sick once I was home, but was worried I'd get stuck abroad in my aunt's putting my uncle at risk, etc. We all understood the risks and it worked out ok (I got sick the day after I got home pac - not Covid, was PCR tested twice, just a horrendous chest cold).
I suppose you need to consider your health. And maybe where you can stay and how you will manage if you did get sick/were identified as a close contact while here, etc.
I would not tell you not to come, it's been a long few years and people need to see each other, risks are a personal decision, but I would just advise you to plan for managing the possible situations.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 11-01-2022

No classes today, though will need to do some coursework later. For now, sofaside with some junk food and junk tv.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 11-01-2022

(11-01-2022, 11:09 AM)nothing Wrote: No classes today, though will need to do some coursework later. For now, sofaside with some junk food and junk tv.

Can't beat that Nothing, it sometimes is the best thing !

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 11-01-2022

(11-01-2022, 08:31 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 11:09 AM)nothing Wrote: No classes today, though will need to do some coursework later. For now, sofaside with some junk food and junk tv.

Can't beat that Nothing, it sometimes is the best thing !

Was grand, had counselling with my covid infected counsellor (over teams) and have been tipping away at my design assignment this evening.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 11-01-2022

@dawg like most countries we are riding the omicron wave. It's highly infectious so case numbers are very high. It is less severe than previous variants so isn't translating in to hospital figures. In fact 20 to 30 % of those in hospital listed among the figures are 'incidental', they were admitted for something other than Covid. For the majority it doesn't seem to be causing illness that requires hospitalisation and for plenty more it's nothing more than a head cold. 

I don't know how it affects people who are immuno-compromised dawg. I think the risk factors that were in play at the beginning still stand. So age, BMI, diabetes, COPD, severe asthma. Even if you are vaccinated you could still be at greater risk. There is what's called an 'additional dose' for a list of particular illnesses. Its given a few months after the first round and before the booster. 

Some are more risk averse than others. You can be 25 and extremely healthy but scared to meet others or you can be 65 with a list of ailments and planning your next trip. Neither positions are 'wrong'. You do you. Which reminds me of a complete and utter dose over on Boards who acts like a Covid martyr   Dodgy  

So you really need to decide what level you are comfortable with. Also have a think about what coming home would mean to you and weigh it all up. I don't think putting your life on hold for a virus that will never disappear is necessary but you should be able to strike a balance that's right for you. There are plenty of measures you can take to protect yourself if you are worried, one of those special ff masks (I can't remember the proper name) for example. 

Safe travels if you do come    Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 12-01-2022

YEEEE GODS!!!! *shakes fist at sky*

It's my first early morning since before Christmas. BUT!! After weeks of crazy sleeping at all hours
I SLEPT PROPERLY AT 'NORMAL' HOURS!!!!

HUZZAH!!

Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 12-01-2022

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7471570/

And interesting read

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 12-01-2022

Sogh. Spent 2 hours working on my design assignment and it barely looks any different

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 12-01-2022

I'm fecking freezing .... house is warm , I just can't seem to warm up though .

Cold blooded creature that I am !

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 12-01-2022

(12-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: I'm  fecking freezing .... house is warm , I just can't seem to warm up though .

I get like that sometimes, it's like my bones are cold and there's no way to warm up

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 12-01-2022

(12-01-2022, 08:42 PM)nothing Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: I'm  fecking freezing .... house is warm , I just can't seem to warm up though .

I get like that sometimes, it's like my bones are cold and there's no way to warm up

That's it exactly! 
(Except I'm nearly always cold and wear more layers than an onion)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 12-01-2022

If ye have any other health issues (e.g. fatigue) might be worth getting some bloods done, persistently feeling cold despite being in a warm place can be a symptom of hormones/nutrients being out of kilter.

(12-01-2022, 09:17 PM)ari101 Wrote: If ye have any other health issues (e.g. fatigue) might be worth getting some bloods done, persistently feeling cold despite being in a warm place can be a symptom of hormones/nutrients being out of kilter.

Bloods all good Ari , I get them done on a regular basis tbh . Just seem to be feeling the cold more as I get older tbh .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 12-01-2022

Glad to hear it, I never did before getting unwell but it will just be part of life now Big Grin