A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Sephiroth_Dude - 04-08-2021

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 04-08-2021

I wish it were actual bubbles, that would be a more interesting story! It was bubbles the poster, think he got banned many years ago (though not to do with me). In short, creeped on a teen me.

Now balloons sound fun!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 04-08-2021

Howdy Sephers! How you finding nuBoards these days?

That sounds fucking scary nothing.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:37 PM)nothing Wrote: I wish it were actual bubbles, that would be a more interesting story! It was bubbles the poster, think he got banned many years ago (though not to do with me). In short, creeped on a teen me.

Now balloons sound fun!

Bloody hell! Although the internet is a refuge for creeps so I don't know why I'm surprised.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:41 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 01:37 PM)nothing Wrote: I wish it were actual bubbles, that would be a more interesting story! It was bubbles the poster, think he got banned many years ago (though not to do with me). In short, creeped on a teen me.

Now balloons sound fun!

Bloody hell! Although the internet is a refuge for creeps so I don't know why I'm surprised.

Yep... full of creeps and weirdos... none here though  Confused

[Image: NiceScratchyAllensbigearedbat-max-1mb.gif]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 04-08-2021

I didn't think anything of it at the time, until he tried to blackmail me into sending nudes. Cut him off then, thankfully he didn't go through with the threat. Hadn't given it a second thought since, but now with full grown adult eyes, it was way way over the line, but I was also lucky it didn't go to a physical place.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:44 PM)nothing Wrote: I didn't think anything of it at the time, until he tried to blackmail me into sending nudes. Cut him off then, thankfully he didn't go through with the threat. Hadn't given it a second thought since, but now with full grown adult eyes, it was way way over the line, but I was also lucky it didn't go to a physical place.

The Guards would follow that up, but as a teenager you'd die with embarrassment. I suppose that's what makes you a target.

(04-08-2021, 01:50 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 01:44 PM)nothing Wrote: I didn't think anything of it at the time, until he tried to blackmail me into sending nudes. Cut him off then, thankfully he didn't go through with the threat. Hadn't given it a second thought since, but now with full grown adult eyes, it was way way over the line, but I was also lucky it didn't go to a physical place.

The Guards would follow that up, but as a teenager you'd die with embarrassment. I suppose that's what makes you a target.

Yep, teenager with a crap home life, zero self esteem, prime target for that kind of behaviour.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Sephiroth_Dude - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:40 PM)Necro Wrote: Howdy Sephers! How you finding nuBoards these days?

That sounds fucking scary nothing.

I don't like it, everything is so hard to find, I spent ages looking for the reported posts forum today, I have done zilch modding,no interest tbh, everything is a chore. I'm on there since 07 and its kills me the way its gone, I hope they can improve it, I really miss the old site.

I think that an acknowledgement that it all went tits up would help, along with an honest timescale for fixes.

We were told the move would allow them to make changes on a whim, but now we know each one needs a pull request at a time that suits Vanilla, so they actually have less control than before.

Look at how quickly suggestions are implemented here?

(04-08-2021, 02:48 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I think that an acknowledgement that it all went tits up would help, along with an honest timescale for fixes.

We were told the move would allow them to make changes on a whim, but now we know each one needs a pull request at a time that suits Vanilla, so they actually have less control than before.

Especially with Vanilla being 4/5 hrs behind them timewise. For a forum like Boards Vanilla just isn't compatible at all evidently. 

It's obviously down to cost so I'm wondering why something like Xenforo or even an upgrade to VBulletin 5 wasn't considered. They were sold a pup it seems.

(04-08-2021, 02:51 PM)Necro Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 02:48 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I think that an acknowledgement that it all went tits up would help, along with an honest timescale for fixes.

Especially with Vanilla being 4/5 hrs behind them timewise. For a forum like Boards Vanilla just isn't compatible at all evidently. 

It's obviously down to cost so I'm wondering why something like Xenforo or even an upgrade to VBulletin 5 wasn't considered. They were sold a pup it seems.
Or someone vastly misunderstood what they were bought because we were assured it would practically look and function the same. Either way it's a disaster and it's getting worse instead of better.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 02:55 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Or someone vastly misunderstood what they were bought because we were assured it would practically look and function the same. Either way it's a disaster and it's getting worse instead of better.

A common story in my experience.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 02:55 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 02:51 PM)Necro Wrote: Especially with Vanilla being 4/5 hrs behind them timewise. For a forum like Boards Vanilla just isn't compatible at all evidently. 

Or someone vastly misunderstood what they were bought because we were assured it would practically look and function the same. Either way it's a disaster and it's getting worse instead of better.

I presume the tender went like this

[Image: hLNnsjq8mbeS.gif]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:52 PM)nothing Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 01:50 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: The Guards would follow that up, but as a teenager you'd die with embarrassment. I suppose that's what makes you a target.

Yep, teenager with a crap home life, zero self esteem, prime target for that kind of behaviour.

Sadly I am not surprised you experienced that on Boards Nothing. I'm sorry you did. There are a few on there who are predatory.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 03:31 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 02:55 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Or someone vastly misunderstood what they were bought because we were assured it would practically look and function the same. Either way it's a disaster and it's getting worse instead of better.

I presume the tender went like this

[Image: hLNnsjq8mbeS.gif]

This is what I'm dealing with today Sad actually no, reading this tender, I can see you are clearly NOT great. 

I know they had a test migration and had a test site, I don't know why they didn't utilise their community more for that. Like @Sephiroth_Dude I have been a member since mid 2000s, and haven't modded anything since go live. I just can't find reported posts, I don't know where I go to approve anonymous posts, and the motivation to find these things out right now is zilch.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 04-08-2021

An acknowledgement of some sort would help but the other side of that is what would be the point. They can't un do this I don't think. The old platform was held together with string and sellotape. I'm not techy enough to know what they could have done instead of Vanilla but something had to change.

The community has always been at the heart of Boards and I really believe Niamh and Mark are trying to keep it in place. They are mere cogs in a wheel. I feel for them because at the end of the day Boards is their livelihood. 

The implementation of ideas here is far easier because it's a smaller site. There are no commercial interests to consider, no necks on the line.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 04-08-2021

Could be worse, could be dealing with contractors who messed up your entire regression test plan pac

I have no motivation whatsoever for boards as it is. So I don't think I'll be on it much myself.

(04-08-2021, 03:40 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 01:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Yep, teenager with a crap home life, zero self esteem, prime target for that kind of behaviour.

Sadly I am not surprised you experienced that on Boards Nothing. I'm sorry you did. There are a few on there who are predatory.

Ah it was a long time ago now, and the internet is such a different place now, and I'm a different person to who I was then. I'm just glad it wasn't a worse experience.

(04-08-2021, 03:49 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:

An acknowledgement of some sort would help but the other side of that is what would be the point. They can't un do this I don't think. The old platform was held together with string and sellotape. I'm not techy enough to know what they could have done instead of Vanilla but something had to change.

The community has always been at the heart of Boards and I really believe Niamh and Mark are trying to keep it in place. They are mere cogs in a wheel. I feel for them because at the end of the day Boards is their livelihood. 

The implementation of ideas here is far easier because it's a smaller site. There are no commercial interests to consider, no necks on the line.

It would help if Odhran stopped hiding behind Niamh's skirt and addressed the issues. There's no way Niamh responded to the email issue without running it by him first.

I feel sorry for Niamh and Mark for 2 reasons - it's their livelihood, and they're left to frantically try and clean up the shit that flew everywhere after it hit the  fan.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 04-08-2021

What was the email issue?

I wonder where I parked my car. Hmmm.

(04-08-2021, 04:16 PM)cee_jay Wrote: What was the email issue?

Basically... some users email addresses were publically visible via a Google search.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058201850/boards-ie-email-address-issue-july-2021/p1

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 04:20 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: I wonder where I parked my car. Hmmm.

[Image: 392001500_EYES_EMOJI_400px.gif]

(04-08-2021, 04:28 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 04:20 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: I wonder where I parked my car. Hmmm.

[Image: 392001500_EYES_EMOJI_400px.gif]

Found it. The only one sticking out funny in a row of properly parked cars Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 04-08-2021

Just finished the second coffee of the day. Now catching up on some YouTube at my desk.

My Kindle has also returned from the dead. Apparently, the battery was drained completely because I'd "charged" it with a faulty charger. It came back almost instantly after plugging it into my laptop. Just my luck...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Duncan - 04-08-2021

Well well well

Hello hello hello

Howdy Duncan!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 04-08-2021

Hey all.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 04-08-2021

Hey there!

Nice to see yet another familiar face Smile

Howdy PM!

On the couch tonight binging some TV with the OH. Really want to get up and grab some chocolate but CBA

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 04-08-2021

Any sign of Ted lately? He hasn't been in Wherers either in a long time.

Does anyone here watch a show called Virgin River?

(04-08-2021, 10:16 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Any sign of Ted lately? He hasn't been in Wherers either in a long time.

I've been wondering about that as well. He's one of those who's seemingly dropped of the radar completely.

Ted was really busy with RL stuff up until recently iirc.

I did PM him about here and he said he would be over at some stage.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Declan A Walsh - 04-08-2021

If you mean Ted_YNWA (or whatever that extension is!), I definitely saw him on Boards after the change. I even mentioned him on a thread on Forum Games about Forum Games regulars that returned to Boards after the change! Could be gone again though. Some people split after a week. It will be interesting to see how well that new site Gubu does.

EDIT: Just saw Necro's update about Ted!

(04-08-2021, 10:47 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: If you mean Ted_YNWA (or whatever that extension is!), I definitely saw him on Boards after the change. I even mentioned him on a thread on Forum Games about Forum Games regulars that returned to Boards after the change! Could be gone again though. Some people split after a week. It will be interesting to see how well that new site Gubu does.

EDIT: Just saw Necro's update about Ted!

I like Gubu. It's very Boards like in terms of discussion but feels more easy going.

I'm on the couch having a beer.

Nice to see you, PM! The wherers are taking over one poster at a time. Big Grin

I dead though.