A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 11:11 PM)DejaBoo Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 10:57 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Christmas is such a loaded time of the year. There's huge expectation to be happy and meet people and celebrate. If you don't have that then it can really increase the feeling of isolation. It's one thing being content in your own company on the day and another wishing it were different. Then there are losses which can be hard to face. It's a season when those losses all come home to roost.
or.... you could, load up on the twinkle lights,  binge watch christmas movies and sing carols to the radio. Big Grin

(I know what you are referring to DoF, just offering a silly alternative that works for me.)
Oh absolutely! Nothing like some twinkly lights and festive movies to warm the heart. There really is a lot of joy to be found in Christmas no matter the circumstances  Shy

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 07-10-2021

I'm awake. Why aren't I asleep?

Sigh

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 07-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 10:57 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Christmas is such a loaded time of the year. There's huge expectation to be happy and meet people and celebrate. If you don't have that then it can really increase the feeling of isolation. It's one thing being content in your own company on the day and another wishing it were different. Then there are losses which can be hard to face. It's a season when those losses all come home to roost.

Maybe we can persuade daddy to celebrate with the in laws this christmas, and make it a happier time of year.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 01:09 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I'm awake. Why aren't I asleep?

Sigh
[Image: funny-pictures-kitten-bed-santa.jpg]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 01:09 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote: I'm awake. Why aren't I asleep?

Sigh

Am asking myself the same question from the other side of the night.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - lorcand1990 - 07-10-2021

My parents are divorced so Christmas is kinda tough here too, trying to get around to everybody. My immediate family is small so I hate leaving one of my parents on Christmas day

On the other side my wife has a big family and they nearly always come together at Christmas so we usually end up there

The wife and myself did our first Christmas day on our own last year (with the dog) and it was fantastic. I made dinner for the 3 of us (dog loved it) and we had champagne, wine and vodka.. we were fairly hammered lol

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 03:04 AM)Neowise Wrote:

Maybe we can persuade daddy to celebrate with the in laws this christmas, and make it a happier time of year.
I'll leave that to you  Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 08:33 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote: My parents are divorced so Christmas is kinda tough here too, trying to get around to everybody. My immediate family is small so I hate leaving one of my parents on Christmas day

On the other side my wife has a big family and they nearly always come together at Christmas so we usually end up there
Exactly the same here, lorcand, divorced parents and inlaws big into Christmas. And I'm an only child and my folks live in the UK. Christmas is just an extended guilt trip for me as I try to work out how best to see everyone, I can't remember the last time I even thought about what I'd like.

We have young kids now though, so the focus is switching to them, which makes it a bit easier

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - lorcand1990 - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 09:46 AM)E.N. Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 08:33 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote: My parents are divorced so Christmas is kinda tough here too, trying to get around to everybody. My immediate family is small so I hate leaving one of my parents on Christmas day

Exactly the same here, lorcand, divorced parents and inlaws big into Christmas. And I'm an only child and my folks live in the UK. Christmas is just an extended guilt trip for me as I try to work out how best to see everyone, I can't remember the last time I even thought about what I'd like.

We have young kids now though, so the focus is switching to them, which makes it a bit easier
Yeah I have the same pre Christmas thoughts as you did, my family are all ireland based so helps a little on that context, but still find it hard

Now that you mention it, on the plus side we are expecting our first child at the end of December, so that will change things... in more ways than one!!  Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 10:00 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote: Now that you mention it, on the plus side we are expecting our first child at the end of December, so that will change things... in more ways than one!!  Big Grin
Aw, congratulations!
Yeah, everything changes then! pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Barna77 - 07-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 10:22 PM)dawg Wrote: What would you like to get up to ... if you could ?
I'm not going home for Christmas this year. It stresses me out. 

I went home last month and I've told my parents that I'll be back some time in spring. Apparently it doesn't bother them that I won't be going......  Cry

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 10:05 AM)Barna77 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 10:22 PM)dawg Wrote: What would you like to get up to ... if you could ?

I went home last month and I've told my parents that I'll be back some time in spring. Apparently it doesn't bother them that I won't be going......  Cry

I imagine they are just happy if you are happy whereever Smile

@lorcand1990 Congrats, that will change xmases forever. Little people are what it is all about. We did last year each alone in our own places and mostly I was just worried about my Dad being lonely. I like a quiet one, have a beverage and no where to go, twinkly lights on a tree and a warm fire. I visit friends in the days before and after but I am happy to leave the parties to other people. It's always a reminder of when times were better so I usually feel a huge sense of relief by the 27th pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 07-10-2021

Congratulations Lorcan, a Christmas baby is very exciting!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 07-10-2021

Echoing others , congratulations Lorcan , exciting times ahead ☺

Thanks everyone.. yeah it's a fantastic mixture of excitement,  nervousness and fear!! Only half joking about the fear part, I'll get used to it  Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 07-10-2021

Ah congrats lorc! I'd say all those feelings are normal enough

(07-10-2021, 04:06 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: Thanks everyone.. yeah it's a fantastic mixture of excitement,  nervousness and fear!! Only half joking about the fear part, I'll get used to it  Smile
If you're not a bit terrified you're being too complacent Tongue

Our eldest is three now, I'll let know if the fear ever goes away pac

Fear and sleep deprivation ... sounds delightful! CoolTongue

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - aaronjennings - 07-10-2021

Congartulations, what a beautiful Christmas present that will be for ye Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 10:00 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 09:46 AM)E.N. Wrote: Exactly the same here, lorcand, divorced parents and inlaws big into Christmas. And I'm an only child and my folks live in the UK. Christmas is just an extended guilt trip for me as I try to work out how best to see everyone, I can't remember the last time I even thought about what I'd like.

Yeah I have the same pre Christmas thoughts as you did, my family are all ireland based so helps a little on that context, but still find it hard

Now that you mention it, on the plus side we are expecting our first child at the end of December, so that will change things... in more ways than one!!  Big Grin

Congrats lorcand, the first is always a bit daunting but you get there Smile
Our third is due in April next year, we've 8 and 4 year old boys who are a handful but awesome at the same time Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 07-10-2021

Congratulations Lorcan and Missus Lorcan!!
Big Grin x

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 07-10-2021

Yay for FoG babes! Congratz Lorcan family and Necor Clan - such delightful news!

(07-10-2021, 04:43 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Fear and sleep deprivation ... sounds delightful! CoolTongue
Yeah... love mine to bits but I'd probably let David Bowie's Goblin King babysit in exchange for a few nights sleep pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 06:39 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 04:43 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Fear and sleep deprivation ... sounds delightful! CoolTongue
Yeah... love mine to bits but I'd probably let David Bowie's Goblin King babysit in exchange for a few nights sleep pac

I'll let you in on a little secret , it doesn't get any better even after they grow up and move out ! Just a different set of worries pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 06:32 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: First FoG babes ever! Congratz Lorcan family and Necro Clan - such delightful news!

Not quite.

(07-10-2021, 07:14 PM)quickbeam Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 06:32 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: First FoG babes ever! Congratz Lorcan family and Necro Clan - such delightful news!

Not quite.
Oops, sorry I didn't realise, congratulations FoG parents and babes, all!

I'm starting to get the baby questions now. I was in a shop recently buying a bracelet to wear on my wedding day and the sales assistant asked if I was planning on having a baby after. Because baby can wear bracelet or something bla bla.
I was at the doc a few weeks ago and she asked me twice. Like getting married doesn't suddenly mean I'm not pushing 40!!

Womens are gas.

Oooops I made a mistake........pushing 35 I mean....... Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 08:55 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Oooops I made a mistake........pushing 35 I mean....... Big Grin

Haha, I'm pushing somewhere in between those two numbers and have no plans. I also have lots of single or at least not married childless female friends of a similar age who see this as a normal state, but some family and also strangers are gas with their marriage + babies intrigue when you get to a *cough* certain age.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 07-10-2021

Same re age, I tend to laugh in people's faces if they ask such things and they never ask again

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 10:05 AM)Barna77 Wrote:

Might they be hoping that you would invite them to your place Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 07-10-2021

Congratulations to the expectant parents here.
And as Mam says, yep you'll be awake with worry for as long you as live. Lol.

My best friend has an 18 year old and it is a constant source of amazement for us that she is the parent of an adult. It's only like yesterday I was picking her up from her cot and she in a little Winnie the Poo onesie.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 08-10-2021

How are the Foggers?

I'm sitting up in bed with a mug of chicken soup. A bit of work to do from 2 and then back to bed.
#oldlady

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 08-10-2021

Not bad today, having another chill day. Been for tea and scones with my friend, who's 75 today, we'd a lovely chilled few hours. Sofaside now to figure out what to do the rest of the day.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 08-10-2021

Happy Friday evening folks ☺

I bought a bag of toffee popcorn today , I don't even remember we there I like it or not pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 08-10-2021

I have a sharing bag of Hunky Dory's sour cream and onion that I won't be sharing with anyone.Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 08-10-2021

Lol Leggy , too right you are !
I opened the popcorn to taste it ,and ate half a bag of it , good lord !

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - DejaBoo - 08-10-2021

I can't be trusted around a bag of crisps... or cashews.
...I love them too much.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 08-10-2021

I'm mulling over the takeaway menu