A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 26-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 07:26 AM)Kol Wrote: Sticking with custardgate,I think my pet hate with deserts is anything with alcohol flavour, especially sweets with alcohol flavoured filling. Cakes I can manage but again, not a fan if them.
I agree with you on the alcohol desserts. My sister in law is Romanian. They love chocolates with alcohol in them. Any time her relations have come to visit they bring a big box of them to us.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 26-09-2021

I don't like alcohol in desserts or chocolates either , Tiramisu (sp?) I don't like either . Favourite dessert would be a lemon cheesecake or a fresh fruit pavlova.

Gorgeous Autumn morning here , floors mopped, coffee time now ☺

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 26-09-2021

Yep, gorgeous autumn day here in Cork as well. Nothing like rain beating against the windows and the wind howling outside to get you into that fall mood pac

Just finished a coffee here. I'll have to brave that weather to get some bits and bobs I forgot yesterday. Good thing I live 100 metres away from a shopping centre Wink

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 26-09-2021

Sofaside, debating what to do with my day

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 26-09-2021

I might get up.

I like custard Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 26-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 03:02 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: ...I like custard Big Grin

I bet you do Tongue

Deployed favourite search engine to find pics of you in the bed with custard Angel .

Shy even with moderate filtering there were some very NSFW pics and not a sign of a blush on your sweet aghaidh

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 26-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 04:15 PM)dawg Wrote:
(26-09-2021, 03:02 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: ...I like custard Big Grin

I bet you do Tongue

Deployed favourite search engine to find pics of you in the bed with custard Angel .

Shy even with moderate filtering there were some very NSFW pics and not a sign of a blush on your sweet aghaidh

I eat pizza in bed but I draw the line at custard Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Barna77 - 26-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 09:49 AM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Tiramisu  (sp?) I don't like either 
shock

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 26-09-2021

I love chocolate or coffee desserts with booze in them. I'd happily eat my own body weight of tiramisu or proper Black Forest with loads of kirsch in it. My mother used to make a coffee cake years ago that was finished off by soaking it with whiskey or brandy. It was amazingly good, although you'd probably fail a breathalyser after a couple of slices.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 26-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 10:16 PM)Barna77 Wrote:
(26-09-2021, 09:49 AM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Tiramisu  (sp?) I don't like either 
shock

Lol , I know it's crazy! I love coffee , coffee cake , Tiramisu is a big NOPE , pity there isn't a vomit emoji pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 26-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 10:30 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote:
(26-09-2021, 10:16 PM)Barna77 Wrote: shock

Lol , I know it's crazy! I love coffee , coffee cake , Tiramisu is a big NOPE , pity there isn't a vomit emoji pac

Oddly enough, I love tiramisu, coffee cake, coffee slices, beers with coffee in them, etc., but I don't like coffee.  I can't stomach drinking it because it's too bitter and I don't really see the point of sweetening it excessively just so I could drink it.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 26-09-2021

Serious question..do tee total people avoid food with alcohol?

(26-09-2021, 10:54 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(26-09-2021, 10:30 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: Lol , I know it's crazy! I love coffee , coffee cake , Tiramisu is a big NOPE , pity there isn't a vomit emoji pac

Oddly enough, I love tiramisu, coffee cake, coffee slices, beers with coffee in them, etc., but I don't like coffee.  I can't stomach drinking it because it's too bitter and I don't really see the point of sweetening it excessively just so I could drink it.

I love coffee and booze but apart from tiramisu I don't like any other coffee type cakes of food that contain alcohol  Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 27-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 11:39 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Serious question..do tee total people avoid food with alcohol?

I do. With the sole exception of Christmas pudding. So no bailey's cheesecake, no black forest gateaux, no red wine jus, no sauces with wine or beer etc, no flambé. Partly I don't like the taste, partly medications are all "avoid alcohol" and partly it takes so little to effect me.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 27-09-2021

Is there alcohol in tiramisu? I never knew that and I do like it.

Regarding coffee, I only started drinking it in the last 5 years or so, hated it before that. Now when I say coffee, I couldnt drink an espresso, I need milk of some sort in it

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 27-09-2021

(26-09-2021, 11:39 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Serious question..do tee total people avoid food with alcohol?

Probably depends on the reason to be tee total. If medical reasons like nothing then best avoid. I do know a Pioneer who’d lash into the boozy foods at every opportunity because the pledge was only to avoiding’drinkong’ the alcohol but didn’t say you couldn’t ‘eat’ it.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 06:53 AM)quickbeam Wrote:

Probably depends on the reason to be tee total.  If medical reasons like nothing then best avoid.  I do know a Pioneer who’d lash into the boozy foods at every opportunity because the pledge was only to avoiding’drinkong’ the alcohol but didn’t say you couldn’t ‘eat’ it.

Where is the facepalm emoji when you need it Wink

With some desserts the alcohol is not cooked so therefore it is still alcoholic and they probably should be avoided (I'm definitely not tee total but for some who is I think sherry trifle, for example, should be on the nope list - that said sherry trifle is always on my nope list, yuck), but in a cooked sauce at 79 degrees the alcoholic element is fully evaporated.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 27-09-2021

Ugh, Monday again.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 08:24 AM)ari101 Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 06:53 AM)quickbeam Wrote: Probably depends on the reason to be tee total.  If medical reasons like nothing then best avoid.  I do know a Pioneer who’d lash into the boozy foods at every opportunity because the pledge was only to avoiding’drinkong’ the alcohol but didn’t say you couldn’t ‘eat’ it.

Where is the facepalm emoji when you need it Wink

With some desserts the alcohol is not cooked so therefore it is still alcoholic and they probably should be avoided (I'm definitely not tee total but for some who is I think sherry trifle, for example, should be on the nope list - that said sherry trifle is always on my nope list, yuck), but in a cooked sauce at 79 degrees the alcoholic element is fully evaporated.
Unfortunately you have been lied to Big Grin it reduces over time but can take a hell of a long time to get it fully evaporated. There was a study done on it previously about alcohol retention

Edit: had a quick Google, found the name of the study if you want to read it, it's quiet interesting

Alcohol retention in food preparation [1992]

(27-09-2021, 08:42 AM)Leg End Reject Wrote: Ugh, Monday again.

Tell me about it, weekend has gone so quick bleh

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - cee_jay - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 06:53 AM)quickbeam Wrote:

Probably depends on the reason to be tee total.  If medical reasons like nothing then best avoid.  I do know a Pioneer who’d lash into the boozy foods at every opportunity because the pledge was only to avoiding’drinkong’ the alcohol but didn’t say you couldn’t ‘eat’ it.

My partner doesn't drink, not for medical reasons or religious reasons, just not a fan of being drunk and losing the next day hungover. He will have desserts or food with alcohol, he loves tiramisu and sherry trifle. But that's the extent of his alcohol intake.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 27-09-2021

Sofaside, lasagne in the oven, dreading trying to get through my big list of to dos.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 09:09 AM)Trigger Wrote: Unfortunately you have been lied to Big Grin it reduces over time but can take a hell of a long time to get it fully evaporated. There was a study done on it previously about alcohol retention

Edit: had a quick Google, found the name of the study if you want to read it, it's quiet interesting

Was gonna say the same though my source was QI.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 01:05 PM)quickbeam Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 09:09 AM)Trigger Wrote: Unfortunately you have been lied to Big Grin it reduces over time but can take a hell of a long time to get it fully evaporated. There was a study done on it previously about alcohol retention

Was gonna say the same though my source was QI.
So was mine pac I read up on it after seeing that episode Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 27-09-2021

Moral of this story... Must watch more QI Big Grin

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - lorcand1990 - 27-09-2021

I love QI for random bits of weird info.. One of my favourites is that a robin doesn't actually have a red breast, it is orange. When the 'robin red breast' was named there was no colour orange, so what we now called orange was called red. It's the same reason we call people with orange hair 'redheads'..

Although being on QI it's probably not true and someone will now come to say that I'm wrong  Big Grin

(27-09-2021, 01:50 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: I love QI for random bits of weird info.. One of my favourites is that a robin doesn't actually have a red breast, it is orange. When the 'robin red breast' was named there was no colour orange, so what we now called orange was called red. It's the same reason we call people with orange hair 'redheads'..

Although being on QI it's probably not true and someone will now come to say that I'm wrong  Big Grin

Orange the colour is named after orange the fruit, it used to be called yellow-red, so can totally believe that. (QI tweeted about this today)

Feck the to do list, going back to bed for a bit

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 03:29 PM)nothing Wrote: Feck the to do list, going back to bed for a bit

Bed. The greatest of places. And remember Nothing, why do today what you can do next month  Big Grin At least that's my motto.

(27-09-2021, 03:54 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 03:29 PM)nothing Wrote: Feck the to do list, going back to bed for a bit

Bed. The greatest of places. And remember Nothing, why do today what you can do next month  Big Grin At least that's my motto.

Anything urgent is already done, can take my time with the rest pac

(27-09-2021, 01:52 PM)nothing Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 01:50 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: I love QI for random bits of weird info.. One of my favourites is that a robin doesn't actually have a red breast, it is orange. When the 'robin red breast' was named there was no colour orange, so what we now called orange was called red. It's the same reason we call people with orange hair 'redheads'..

Orange the colour is named after orange the fruit, it used to be called yellow-red, so can totally believe that. (QI tweeted about this today)

Mars is also Orange but called the red planet.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 04:13 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 01:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Orange the colour is named after orange the fruit, it used to be called yellow-red, so can totally believe that. (QI tweeted about this today)

And has a blue sunset

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 27-09-2021

And red lemonade is most definitely not red.

And "an orange" is actually a corruption of "a norange" which is what it used to be called.

.... is what an incorrect person would say. Though it's often cited as true.

However, apron did used to be called napron, and umpire used to be called numpire.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebracketing#In_English

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 04:13 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 01:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Orange the colour is named after orange the fruit, it used to be called yellow-red, so can totally believe that. (QI tweeted about this today)

And:

"...the chances of anything coming from Mars
are a million to one, they said!"

Enjoy that ear worm pac

Tableside, after working from home today. Still have to get used to this "hybrid" malarkey...

Sad nearly all my custard spilled over and made a big puddle in the microwave

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 27-09-2021

Oh man, that sucks!

Did you try to recreate that volcano in the Canaries? pac

pac managed to pour some back into the jug, enough to go with my mini apple crumble tart

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - dawg - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 08:30 PM)nothing Wrote: Sad nearly all my custard spilled over and made a big puddle in the microwave

pic of Nothing doing cleanup following custard spill

Accurate!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 27-09-2021

That was a killer of a day, Monday has outdone itself. Undecided Dodgy