A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 10-09-2021

Ah, hope mini-Trig is doing OK Sad

You too, of course, Trig!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 05:37 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: @thomil , slides plate back with half for you !

Thank you, Mam. I'll set some stroopwaffels aside for you tomorrow. Just need to restock first.

@Trigger Hope you and the family get better soon. I have all fingers crossed over here.

Deskside, enjoying my complete home office setup. Already thinking about tearing everything out and rearranging it pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 07:44 PM)thomil Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 05:37 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: @thomil , slides plate back with half for you !

Thank you, Mam. I'll set some stroopwaffels aside for you tomorrow. Just need to restock first.

@Trigger Hope you and the family get better soon. I have all fingers crossed over here.

Deskside, enjoying my complete home office setup. Already thinking about tearing everything out and rearranging it pac

I'm planning on a fairly significant revamp to my home office over the winter months myself. Don't have piles of space mind so I'm still not sure what that actually means right now pac

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 10-09-2021

What's the craic all? Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 10-09-2021

Not much here, working on the Hood werewolf Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 10-09-2021

Back to blogging over here, have a three week backlog to work through...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 10-09-2021

Evening everyone.
I'm sorry to hear you're unwell, Trigger.
Rest and hydrate and nothing else. Can someone drop food to yer door so ye can just focus on resting?
I'm finding it very warm still. But in an uncomfortable way.
Attempting to make my first dahl tomorrow. I've had it cooked for me before but I'm giving it a go myself tomorrow.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 07:55 PM)Necro Wrote: I'm planning on a fairly significant revamp to my home office over the winter months myself. Don't have piles of space mind so I'm still not sure what that actually means right now pac
Let us know if you have any sparks of inspiration! Smile

I'll be making myself a nice home office when we get the new house. It'll be the spare room too though, so I probably want a collapsible desk etc. I was looking at those wall beds that folds into a wardrobe type space, very cool but a bit pricey

(10-09-2021, 09:12 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Attempting to make my first dahl tomorrow. I've had it cooked for me before but I'm giving it a go myself tomorrow
Sounds nice, hard to beat good homemade curries/dahls etc Smile
I recently heard about Haleem, a Pakistani beef and lentil stew, sounds amazing. That's on my to do list when I've got a quiet weekend, takes most of the day to cook it apparently!

Edit: googling it, it seems like it's much more widespread than Pakistan and varies a lot. I heard Asim Chaudhry talking about his grandmother's version, that's what sold me!

(10-09-2021, 09:15 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 07:55 PM)Necro Wrote: I'm planning on a fairly significant revamp to my home office over the winter months myself. Don't have piles of space mind so I'm still not sure what that actually means right now pac
Let us know if you have any sparks of inspiration! Smile

I'll be making myself a nice home office when we get the new house. It'll be the spare room too though, so I probably want a collapsible desk etc. I was looking at those wall beds that folds into a wardrobe type space, very cool but a bit pricey

Word to the wise: Don't skimp on the desk and chair! There's no need to go for some top-of-the-line stuff, I've been using an IKEA chair (MARKUS, for those who want to know) for over three years, but you should definitely spend the money for a decent chair and a desk that's both sizeable and height-adjustable.

I'm honestly kind of kicking myself for sticking with my fifteen year old desk and not upgrading when I moved into my new place. I mean seriously, I've had this desk since before I moved out of my parents' place! Then again, it's paid for and does the job...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 09:12 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Evening everyone.
I'm sorry to hear you're unwell, Trigger.
Rest and hydrate and nothing else. Can someone drop food to yer door so ye can just focus on resting?
I'm finding it very warm still. But in an uncomfortable way.
Attempting to make my first dahl tomorrow. I've had it cooked for me before but I'm giving it a go myself tomorrow.
Oh is that a type of lentil curry?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Purple Mountain - 10-09-2021

Yes, Diamonds it is. I'm not vegetarian but I seem to gravitate more towards non meat dishes naturally.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 09:27 PM)thomil Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 09:15 PM)E.N. Wrote: Let us know if you have any sparks of inspiration! Smile

Word to the wise: Don't skimp on the desk and chair! There's no need to go for some top-of-the-line stuff, I've been using an IKEA chair (MARKUS, for those who want to know) for over three years, but you should definitely spend the money for a decent chair and a desk that's both sizeable and height-adjustable.

I'm honestly kind of kicking myself for sticking with my fifteen year old desk and not upgrading when I moved into my new place. I mean seriously, I've had this desk since before I moved out of my parents' place! Then again, it's paid for and does the job...

I got my chair from vikingdirect for 40 bucks (twas on sale tbf)

https://www.vikingdirect.ie/en/niceday-malaga-leather-faced-executive-chair-black-p-4175553

I absolutely love it

My 'desk' is currently a folding table so that's definitely something I'm looking at upgrading though.

There are certainly affordable chairs to be had, but if I have to assemble a chair anyway, I'd like to use an Allen key I can trust, and a certain Swedish flatpack trafficker is simply the best source for that. Besides, I was raised on IKEA Wink

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 10-09-2021

@Purple Mountain , love your sig pac

@Diamonds of Frost are you counting down the days yet ?

(10-09-2021, 10:40 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: @Purple Mountain  , love your sig pac

I am Mam! Smile It's 5 weeks away now. I'm very excited about becoming his wife but the day itself is creating nerves.

(10-09-2021, 10:21 PM)Purple Mountain Wrote: Yes, Diamonds it is. I'm not vegetarian but I seem to gravitate more towards non meat dishes naturally.

Me too Purple. I love veggies. I think I've had Dahl. It was a ready meal but I remember it being lovely. Might have to start flexing the cooking muscles  Rolleyes

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 10:50 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 10:40 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: @Purple Mountain  , love your sig pac

I am Mam! Smile It's 5 weeks away now. I'm very excited about becoming his wife but the day itself is creating nerves.

It will fly around , and I think having a few nerves about the day itself is natural , and afterwards you'll wonder why you had them at all !

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 10:23 PM)Necro Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 09:27 PM)thomil Wrote: Word to the wise: Don't skimp on the desk and chair! There's no need to go for some top-of-the-line stuff, I've been using an IKEA chair (MARKUS, for those who want to know) for over three years, but you should definitely spend the money for a decent chair and a desk that's both sizeable and height-adjustable.

I got my chair from vikingdirect for 40 bucks (twas on sale tbf)

https://www.vikingdirect.ie/en/niceday-malaga-leather-faced-executive-chair-black-p-4175553

I absolutely love it

My 'desk' is currently a folding table so that's definitely something I'm looking at upgrading though.
I got the smaller version of that through Viking and absolutely love it, very comfortable.. 

At the moment my desk is a bit small and stuck away in the corner of the sitting room. Can't wait to move it into its own room to work (do some gaming really) Big Grin

(10-09-2021, 10:58 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 10:50 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: I am Mam! Smile It's 5 weeks away now. I'm very excited about becoming his wife but the day itself is creating nerves.

It will fly around , and I think having a few nerves about the day itself is natural , and afterwards you'll wonder why you had them at all !
Oh definitely. One of my work friend's is waiting for her 3rd date having postponed twice. She's gone through it all mentally and is now very chill so has been giving me tips.

(10-09-2021, 11:36 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 10:58 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote: It will fly around , and I think having a few nerves about the day itself is natural , and afterwards you'll wonder why you had them at all !
Oh definitely. One of my work friend's is waiting for her 3rd date having postponed twice. She's gone through it all mentally and is now very chill so has been giving me tips.

Ah good , it will exceed your expectations☺

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - jp liz v1 - 11-09-2021

20 years since 9 / 11

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 11-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 11:45 PM)Mam of 4 Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 11:36 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Oh definitely. One of my work friend's is waiting for her 3rd date having postponed twice. She's gone through it all mentally and is now very chill so has been giving me tips.

Ah good , it will exceed your expectations☺
Thanks Mam  Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 11-09-2021

Good Morning everyone Smile

Tableside with a coffee after a late breakfast, typing away in Notion with some chill tunes playing...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 11-09-2021

Still in bed, with some youtube videos. Contemplating whether to get up or go back to sleep

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 11-09-2021

Laundry and housework trying to catch up after letting it all slide during the week. I've set a 2 hour limit before I do something fun!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Sephiroth_Dude - 11-09-2021

Deskside with a coffee.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 11-09-2021

(11-09-2021, 11:29 AM)nothing Wrote: Still in bed, with some youtube videos. Contemplating whether to get up or go back to sleep

Stay in bed definitely Big Grin

(11-09-2021, 12:20 PM)Sephiroth_Dude Wrote: Deskside with a coffee.

I'll have one too please :p

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 11-09-2021

(11-09-2021, 02:08 AM)jp liz v1 Wrote: 20 years since 9 / 11

I was on the island of rhodes when it happened!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Kol - 11-09-2021

Remember it like it was yesterday, was a Tuesday afternoon Irish time, seemed sureal watching it unfold on the tv.

My OH was in New York that day, or so she says.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 11-09-2021

My mother was watching it on tv when I got in from school, that's about all I remember

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - lorcand1990 - 11-09-2021

Yeah I was in 6th class I think when it happened. Remember coming home from school and it was on. Probably didn't grasp how huge a deal it was at the time

On a better note I got a pack of those lemon and white chocolate muffins in dunnes because of this thread... Good call!  Smile

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - aaronjennings - 11-09-2021

I definitely didn't understand the significance of it at the time. I was only in 4th class, and at that age you'd see that kind of thing happen in movies all the time, so it didn't seem all that important or extraordinary to me

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ari101 - 11-09-2021

Gosh some of ye 90s babies seem so young Tongue
Bet you there are noughtie babies rolling around here too. Wink LC, accounting class, I'd just come back from lunch 2pm Irish time and teacher was late... Came in about 10past asking had we heard... Home later to sky news, surreal stuff.

Just spent about 5 hours cleaning and I'm not even half done Sad

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 11-09-2021

I was in work and one of the lads came out of the kitchen where the TV is and said that a plane had just hit one of the towers. I just assumed it was a small plane, not an airliner. I went into the kitchen a short while later and the second plane had just hit. Every one was in shock and stayed there watching the TV for the next half hour or so. Then word came that the Pentagon had been hit and I rushed back to my desk to let the American guy who sat next to me that he needed to contact his family as his brother worked there. Thankfully his brother was on the opposite side of the building when the plane hit, but because of the disruption to communications it was a good bit later that evening before my friend got confirmation that his brother was OK. Another guy I worked with at the time grew up in New York and had worked in our offices in one of the other buildings in the WTC previously. Sadly some people he knew were among the victims.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 11-09-2021

Twenty years ago, yet still so present.

The day actually started out as a bit of a celebration. Allow me to elaborate.

In Austria, if you fail a subject in a school term, you can sit a written and verbal exam at the beginning of the next term to demonstrate that you've actually mastered the subject over the summer break and still move on to the next class.

I'd aced my "last chance exams" for French and Maths the day before and was chilling with some friends from school outside of my old boarding school when one of the students ran out and told us what happened. I thought it was a prank of his at first and didn't really realise the magnitude of what had happened until later in the afternoon. The entire town was in a stupor for the next couple of days, even though the attacks had happened effectively on the other side of the planet...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 11-09-2021

(11-09-2021, 02:30 PM)ari101 Wrote: Gosh some of ye 90s babies seem so young Tongue
Bet you there are noughtie babies rolling around here too. Wink LC, accounting class, I'd just come back from lunch 2pm Irish time and teacher was late... Came in about 10past asking had we heard... Home later to sky news, surreal stuff.

Just spent about 5 hours cleaning and I'm not even half done Sad
I'm still cleaning too. Sad

I was in work for 9/11, a group of us huddled around a small TV trying to make sense of what we were watching. We only heard about it after the second plane hit the towers and it all seemed so surreal.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 11-09-2021

I was going in work too. We had the TV on and none of the news websites would load. Eventually left the TV as felt is was somehow too voyeuristic watching people die live on screen and missed the toppling of the first tower. Was a lovely autumn day here and after work had to drive across city to visit a relative in hospital and there was something so oddly eerie feeling in the city. Never forget it.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 11-09-2021

I was cooking dinner for the kids before I collected them from school up the road , when my Mam came in and told me to put on Sky News . It didn't seem real , too horrific to be happening in real life . Then the realisation that I was watching people going in to try save others , knowing they were willingly putting their own lives at risk ...

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 11-09-2021

I was on a day off from College and sitting down to have lunch with my mother when the breaking news bulletin came up. It was very surreal watching the whole thing unfold, thinking it was an accident first to realising that it was an attack when the second plane hit

I was in new York the previous year with the Irish and American physically challenged Youth team and one of the sponsors offices was in the towers so we had a trip to their office and then to the top floor restaurant, where they had a lunch for us and chats. I always think about that around this time and wonder if they made it out alive.

A lot of the patrons of the Empire state park games(that we were there for) on the American side were service men and women and there was a few that perished that day. 

It's always a day of thought and wonder for me.