A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 18-08-2021

Completely agree. I can't afford to pay for it, so I'm at the mercy of the public system.

Psychiatrists have a clinic like any outpatients, a head guy and a bunch of trainee doctors who only stay for 6 months, so the continuity of care is almost non-existent.

I saw a particular counsellor for about 4 years and I think that was the most improvement I ever made, it was consistent, non-judgemental support and I was brutally honest with myself through it. When I rang earlier this year to see if I could return to that service, which I was told was possible when I left, the person assessing me said 4 years with them was a red flag (no further explanation) but when she spoke to the counsellor, he agreed to 6 session follow up... In about a year.

The waiting lists are the worst. Even today, psychiatrist wanted to give me a follow up for after Christmas, which I felt was too long, best he could do was early December.

Sorry, I'm rambling and you don't all need my moany sob story!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 02:02 PM)nothing Wrote: Completely agree. I can't afford to pay for it, so I'm at the mercy of the public system.

Psychiatrists have a clinic like any outpatients, a head guy and a bunch of trainee doctors who only stay for 6 months, so the continuity of care is almost non-existent.

I saw a particular counsellor for about 4 years and I think that was the most improvement I ever made, it was consistent, non-judgemental support and I was brutally honest with myself through it. When I rang earlier this year to see if I could return to that service, which I was told was possible when I left, the person assessing me said 4 years with them was a red flag (no further explanation) but when she spoke to the counsellor, he agreed to 6 session follow up... In about a year.

The waiting lists are the worst. Even today, psychiatrist wanted to give me a follow up for after Christmas, which I felt was too long, best he could do was early December.

Sorry, I'm rambling and you don't all need my moany sob story!

You not moaning Smile

A red flag. The hell is that. I do know that the HSE offer short term counselling and after a period of time if you continue to need support then it's a case of "move along you need more than we can offer". Which I believe is purely down to funding rather than anything else. I could be wrong though.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 18-08-2021

You're right. It's limited to 12 sessions. How anyone with a complex issue is expected to be "better" in 3 minths is anyone's guess.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 18-08-2021

not getting moany or sobby vibes at all. just plain old matter of fact truths about pubic health systems care for mental health issues.

touch wood i don't feel i need the services myself atm, but feel a bit hard done that our taxes aren't being put to use better.

i seen this recently and it somehow came to mind.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 02:02 PM)nothing Wrote: Sorry, I'm rambling and you don't all need my moany sob story!

You're not at all, and fair play for talking about it.
I don't know the first thing to say about any of it but wanted to say that

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 02:14 PM)Neowise Wrote: ...but feel a bit hard done that our taxes aren't being put to use better

Agree with that. I'm a dyed in the wool leftie and proud to pay my taxes, but I don't think they're spent well in this country. It would be great to see some real strategic, longterm planning for healthcare, welfare etc

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 02:12 PM)nothing Wrote: You're right. It's limited to 12 sessions. How anyone with a complex issue is expected to be "better" in 3 minths is anyone's guess.

I agree. Something I always keep in mind though, and on the surface is sounds a bit negative but, there is no fixing or curing. We manage and live life the best way we can. Good days bad days dreadful days. There is no point that we reach where we go "that's me now I'm all better".

(18-08-2021, 02:22 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote:
(18-08-2021, 02:12 PM)nothing Wrote: You're right. It's limited to 12 sessions. How anyone with a complex issue is expected to be "better" in 3 minths is anyone's guess.

I agree. Something I always keep in mind though, and on the surface is sounds a bit negative but, there is no fixing or curing. We manage and live life the best way we can. Good days bad days dreadful days. There is no point that we reach where we go "that's me now I'm all better".

Dead right! For me it's about comparing how I was to how I'm doing now, still a few improvements to go but I'm happy with my progress. It keeps me going when I do have a rough day to no longer be reaching for very destructive temporary solutions, being able to better recognise what's going on with myself, not letting it get out of control when I have supports around me, but also giving myself a break if I'm unwell and treating myself better. It's not always easy, but it is easier.

(18-08-2021, 02:18 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(18-08-2021, 02:02 PM)nothing Wrote: Sorry, I'm rambling and you don't all need my moany sob story!

You're not at all, and fair play for talking about it.
I don't know the first thing to say about any of it but wanted to say that

I always say, if I was in a wheelchair, no one would judge me for the physical reason I was there, and I couldn't hide it away, so I treat my mental illness the same. I find most people have some kind of empathy, or have been through something themselves, or know someone who has. It IS good to talk, and it helps get rid of stigma.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - aaronjennings - 18-08-2021

Well done for having the guts to share your story, I can speak from personal experience when I say it can be easier to vent frustrations to strangers online than it is to people you know. So any time you want to talk or just let off a bit of steam, know there are always people nearby, either in real life or here in this weird corner of the internet Smile

Sean Lock died today which completely caught me off-guard, I don't know if his cancer was public knowledge and I just didn't know about it, or whether he kept it private. He made me laugh so many times on TV, and when I was in college his was the first stand-up gig I ever attended

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 18-08-2021

That's sounds so frustrating, nothing. The whole health system is a shambles here and Covid just exacerbated it.

Offload here if it helps, we can't offer advice but hopefully it helps to get it written down.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 18-08-2021

Didn’t know about Sean Lock either, being sick or that he died. That’s very sad. I’d a lot of time for him.

My friend said to me a while back that he thought he didn't look well on cats does countdown, but don't think the cancer was really public knowledge. He was a brilliant comedian, he'll be sorely missed.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - BuileBeag - 18-08-2021

Yeah I'm gutted about Sean Lock too. The man was hilarious but came across as a very nice guy as well, for all his grumpy act.  I remember when he started speaking with that very hoarse voice I got worried and googled it. I read comments somewhere that he'd had cancer previously and people were hoping it wasn't a sign it had returned.

(18-08-2021, 06:47 PM)nothing Wrote: My friend said to me a while back that he thought he didn't look well on cats does countdown, but don't think the cancer was really public knowledge. He was a brilliant comedian, he'll be sorely missed.
Yeah, we noticed last year sometime I think, he looked like he was having a bad time with it. Horrible disease

(18-08-2021, 01:53 PM)nothing Wrote:
(18-08-2021, 01:47 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: That's a lot of support which is good. It's a shame we don't have a system where it can be ongoing, for example every week you can engage with the people who are best suited to supporting you. 
DBT has a good success rate for BPD as far as I'm aware. It's difficult enough to get on to the program.

I know there are a number of low cost counselling services dotted around the country where you could be paying as low as €20. I would definitely do your research though if going down that route.

DBT is touted as the be all, end all if you have BPD, unfortunately it didn't work well for me personally. And have read up the studies, it's great for certain areas of BPD, but not the ones I have.

I'm waiting on CIPC, which is free counselling, as a stop gap until I can get to the psychologist.

I'm much much better than I was before I got help some 15 years ago. Just not quite there yet.

I missed this Smile

Yes absolutely it is not a one size fits all. In fact I wonder about treatment programmes that claim to help everyone with x struggle. There is no accounting for individuality. We are ourselves before anything else.
Mind you I say that with limited knowledge of such programmes. 

Is it 'program' or 'programme' Big Grin

I think it's like color abd and colour, both right

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Phoenix32 - 18-08-2021

*pokes head in* ooh this has the smell of a shiny new forum!! Hello all *waves*

(18-08-2021, 09:37 PM)Phoenix32 Wrote: *pokes head in* ooh this has the smell of a shiny new forum!! Hello all *waves*

Oh hello!! Big Grin Big Grin

*waves*

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 09:37 PM)Phoenix32 Wrote: *pokes head in* ooh this has the smell of a shiny new forum!! Hello all *waves*

Howdy Pheonix, glad you could make it over!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 19-08-2021

Still in bed but need to get up soon as I'm off to Galway for the day

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 19-08-2021

On the couch wondering where the hell the last 2 weeks have gone..

Minecraft videos on the TV.. thank god the little fella is back in school next week!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 19-08-2021

(19-08-2021, 09:01 AM)nothing Wrote: Still in bed but need to get up soon as I'm off to Galway for the day

Enjoy the day nothing, we are going to head out to rush and have a walk on the beach

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 19-08-2021

We're going for afternoon tea and I'm so excited

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Phoenix32 - 19-08-2021

Ah I love Galway, enjoy it Nothing! I'm still in the leaba and considering breakfast. I'm off up to the big smoke tomorrow though!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 19-08-2021

I had better get up.
Grumble grumble etc etc.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 19-08-2021

Got my new laptop. Fucking thing doesn't have a Ctrl button to the right. How the fuck am I meant to use all my left letter shortcuts without a right Ctrl button???

Otherwise, after a bit of stress getting my Office and Firefox installed, I think it's gone okay.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 19-08-2021

Oh, and Function keys don't work without the Ctrl button, so refreshing is Ctrl+F5 instead of just F5 as it ought to be.

Nooo! Nightmare quickbeam!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Phoenix32 - 19-08-2021

I feel your pain Quickbeam, I got a new phone and logging in to apps again has been such a pain when I can't remember half my passwords. Autocorrect keeps trying to mammy me as well as it changes my curse words  Tongue

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 19-08-2021

That's where password managers come in real handy Tongue  As well as weird passwords that autocorrect simply can't comprehend...

I just have an a4 sheet with logins both sides.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - thomil - 19-08-2021

(19-08-2021, 10:46 PM)nothing Wrote: I just have an a4 sheet with logins both sides.

*Screams in IT security* pac

(19-08-2021, 10:50 PM)thomil Wrote:
(19-08-2021, 10:46 PM)nothing Wrote: I just have an a4 sheet with logins both sides.

*Screams in IT security* pac

Much more likely to be hacked than someone break in and find my magic sheet... Right? RIGHT?!

Maybe it's just my ingrained paranoia as I've been working for an IT security company for over two years at this point and my previous employer was equally pedantic about it, but I just prefer to have no "physical" trace of my passwords, as well as having Two-Factor Authentication on all my accounts.

[Image: 33887_thumb.jpg]
I bought this beauty today, have no idea where I'm going to put it! (no, it doesn't also sew)

(19-08-2021, 10:56 PM)thomil Wrote: Maybe it's just my ingrained paranoia as I've been working for an IT security company for over two years at this point and my previous employer was equally pedantic about it, but I just prefer to have no "physical" trace of my passwords, as well as having Two-Factor Authentication on all my accounts.

Usually go two-factor where I can. And google saves a lot of my passwords across devices. I started noting them with the intention of going through them all and changing them, it just never happened

Ah okay, that makes a lot more sense Smile

As for that little sewing machine clock thingamajig, Do you have a bookshelf that has a free space?

[Image: grumpy-ew.gif]