A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do (/showthread.php?tid=9)

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 05-08-2021

(05-08-2021, 11:19 PM)TheValeyard Wrote: Holy fuck I've just seen the feedback thread in boards about Private messages and emails etc.

Holy shit the ball has not only been dropped over there, it's been well and truly burst, then exploded.

Link?! I'd seen there was an email issue alright

Edit - was same thread. Checked my old PMs... Jesus

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - TheValeyard - 05-08-2021

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058201850/boards-ie-email-address-issue-july-2021/p9

Actually isnt Strawberry over here, say The Strawberry is glowing red at this stage with anger!

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 05-08-2021

Yeah, think their email got hacked because of it.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - ShaneU - 05-08-2021

FFS just changed my boards email to a crappy one I have, probably too late. what a shitshow.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - TheValeyard - 05-08-2021

Glad I used a throw away email for mine

also, just seen every PM i sent is back, even the ones I 'deleted'.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 06-08-2021

I use a burner email for all non-personal sites. It's always a variation of a made up name, and my boards version is the most obscure, so I'm not personally worried about the email thing. I can understand how others are fuming though, and one poster was able to find out the real name, location, LinkedIn account etc of one of those affected. It wasn't malicious, they were just highlighting the urgency of it.

The PM thing is worrying though and I'm very dubious about zombie PMs being resurrected after the move.

It really feels like it's time to don the life jacket and head for the lifeboats while our data floats in the ether.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 06-08-2021

(05-08-2021, 04:44 PM)nothing Wrote: Had my cert emailed on the first week of it, was done in my gp so was expecting by post. Went to one place for indoor dining last week, guy had a half hearted look at the certs, didn't double check against ID, didn't take contact details of anyone indoors, the cleaning was sub standard as people left, I was so so uncomfortable. I even sanitised my arms where I was leaning on the table. So we said not going there again. Our second option, we went out there today but it was fairly packed outdoors (as much as it can be with distancing etc), it looked like wedding guests, nowhere to park, so in the end we went to the local centra for take away coffees and sat in the car at the harbour and chatted. My next real human interaction will be the tesco delivery on Saturday.
I don't think you are alone in feeling uncomfortable. So many people are now feeling the same when out and about. It's difficult to switch back to how things were when we have been dealing with a contagious virus. I do think the communication around it has a huge part to play as well. 

For example I recently overheard two doctors who are fully vaccinated saying they wouldn't be comfortable dining indoors. I felt for them. Coronavirus is not going anyway. Mutations will occur. At what point do we live our lives.

For those who are extremely cautious I wonder what would need to happen to just do everyday regular things.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 06-08-2021

Damn friend woke me with a response to a hilarious image I sent super early. Then I saw WW needed my attention, so now in front of the PC, badly need to caffeinate.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - E.N. - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 09:52 AM)nothing Wrote: Damn friend woke me with a response to a hilarious image I sent super early. Then I saw WW needed my attention, so now in front of the PC, badly need to caffeinate.

Trying to work, but I have to destroy the opposition in codenames  Tongue

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Lord TSC - 06-08-2021

RE: The email thing, I'm 99% sure I noticed the box was checked for me when the switch over happened, but I unticked it pretty quick. Didn't twig it was a much bigger issue at the time though.

As someone who had an issue with a borderline stalker on boards, that sort of shit is not on at all.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 11:08 AM)Lord TSC Wrote: RE: The email thing, I'm 99% sure I noticed the box was checked for me when the switch over happened, but I unticked it pretty quick. Didn't twig it was a much bigger issue at the time though.

As someone who had an issue with a borderline stalker on boards, that sort of shit is not on at all.

Yeah it was one of the first things I checked, I had noticed when I looked at my own profile my email was visible to me, so I went and checked.  Mine was off though.  But you can see that it's a much broader issue than "a small number of posters"

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - HildaSilvioOgden - 06-08-2021

Mine was definitely not ticked.

It's a weird option to have, but I know it's on other sites, like Digital Spy which apparently is also vanilla'd...  Rolleyes

I have had the reappearance of PMs alright.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - nothing - 06-08-2021

I'm almost sure I had to untick mine

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Mam of 4 - 06-08-2021

I'm not 100%sure but I think I had to untick mine also , as I can remember thinking why would I want anyone to be able to see my email address.
Plus in the last half hour I've just copped how far back the old deleted messages re emergence goes ... it's a total clusterfcuk. Things will be better and newer?! It gets worse everyday as new issues are brought to light imo .

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 06-08-2021

The PM thing would have been easily picked up if they selected a handful of long term posters and let them test the new format... using Test accounts with no post history would never show that sort of issue with PMs

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Trigger - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 12:40 PM)Necro Wrote: The PM thing would have been easily picked up if they selected a handful of long term posters and let them test the new format... using Test accounts with no post history would never show that sort of issue with PMs

This is literally my job lol..

So I cannot understand the logic. 

Test test and test some more.. there is a rule in testing that you will never find all the bugs.  But, you should be able to find the big issues with testing cause that's were your focus should be

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Necro - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 12:46 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 12:40 PM)Necro Wrote: The PM thing would have been easily picked up if they selected a handful of long term posters and let them test the new format... using Test accounts with no post history would never show that sort of issue with PMs

Test test and test some more.. there is a rule in testing that you will never find all the bugs.  But, you should be able to find the big issues with testing cause that's were your focus should be

They had the new UI on one PC over a VPN in the office as per the earlier announcements... I was really worried when I read that in the first place  Sad

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 06-08-2021

Why are they not fixing the reported bugs?
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117614682#Comment_117614682

(06-08-2021, 01:03 PM)Neowise Wrote: Why are they not fixing the reported bugs?
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117614682#Comment_117614682

Probably cause they need to send PRs to Vanilla before they can implement anything  Angel

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Neowise - 06-08-2021

July report is out.
https://www.similarweb.com/website/boards.ie/

I actually cannot believe that report.

(06-08-2021, 01:22 PM)Neowise Wrote: July report is out.

I actually cannot belive that report.

ELI5?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - quickbeam - 06-08-2021

That's not actually as bad a drop as I might have expected.

Mostly in Feedback innit pac

(06-08-2021, 01:24 PM)nothing Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 01:22 PM)Neowise Wrote: July report is out.

I actually cannot belive that report.

ELI5?

it reports that traffic to the site is up over june traffic.

(06-08-2021, 01:25 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 01:24 PM)nothing Wrote: ELI5?

it reports that traffic to the site is up over june traffic.

That's unexpected

(06-08-2021, 01:26 PM)nothing Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 01:25 PM)Neowise Wrote: it reports that traffic to the site is up over june traffic.

That's unexpected

Thats why i can't believe it.

(06-08-2021, 01:27 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 01:26 PM)nothing Wrote: That's unexpected

Thats why i can't believe it.

Very suspicious

(06-08-2021, 01:24 PM)quickbeam Wrote: That's not actually as bad a drop as I might have expected.

It's not a drop at all.. its an increase lol

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Diamonds of Frost - 06-08-2021

Stoopid people saying I owe them €30 from fees back in 2020. I have receipts that prove otherwise but they have bank details that support their position. Oh but as a gesture of goodwill we will right it off as a 'bad debt'. Feck off. Yee get loads of money out of me every year and your organisation stinks. I will look at my bank records but you can have your poxy €30.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - TheValeyard - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 01:42 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 01:24 PM)quickbeam Wrote: That's not actually as bad a drop as I might have expected.

It's not a drop at all.. its an increase lol

I'd suspect some of that to be automated from Vanilla team or techies logging in and out to monitor site changes, updates etc.

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - TheValeyard - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 03:12 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Stoopid people saying I owe them €30 from fees back in 2020. I have receipts that prove otherwise but they have bank details that support their position. Oh but as a gesture of goodwill we will right it off as a 'bad debt'. Feck off. Yee get loads of money out of me every year and your organisation stinks. I will look at my bank records but you can have your poxy €30.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Whats this about?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Spears - 06-08-2021

I've bragged about this on oldB's before, but I make a mean roast dinner.

not long over ham, turkey, mash, stuffing, cabbage, carrots, sprouts, broccoli and gravy.

twas sooooo much on my plate, but sure ....

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - TED_YNWA - 06-08-2021

Is there some left for our plates?

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Leg End Reject - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 06:38 PM)TED_YNWA Wrote: Is there some left for our plates?

In like Flynn again!  Tongue

That sounds tasty @Spears

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Spears - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 06:38 PM)TED_YNWA Wrote: Is there some left for our plates?

Theres loads left! 

I don't go to all that effort unless I have a day or two's worth of leftovers.  Tongue

Can't be arsed cooking every day lol

RE: We don't know where we are, but at least we know what to do - Zaph - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 12:46 PM)Trigger Wrote:

A good few years ago, before they changed anything at all really on Boards, a whole bunch of us went into the office for a couple of hours and did some user testing for them. It was really successful, quite a few issues and bugs were spotted, however for whatever reason that upgrade didn't go ahead in the end. Toto also went into the office to do another round of testing a few years back that never came to anything. In this case they were committed to upgrading regardless, so why didn't they get a load of people to test it this time? I would have been happy to make some time to help out, and I'm sure plenty of others would be.

Are we talking about food?

(06-08-2021, 06:56 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Are we talking about food?

Yes! I have some nice steak for tomorrow, will do mushrooms and onions, maybe baby potatoes with garlic butter

(06-08-2021, 06:56 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Are we talking about food?

we sure are. 

I'll be having leftovers tomorrow. I have a few extra spuds peeled that will be made into roasties. and by roasties I mean, small roasted potato cubes because normal roasties are disgusting  Confused