A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=72)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 08-09-2021

Ultimate Hell Week - The Professionals (Irish "celebs" ) starts on RTE 1 tonight

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 11-09-2021

I'm enjoying Only Murders in the Building on Disney Star with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 13-09-2021

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 14-09-2021

RIP Norm MacDonald

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 18-09-2021

Never Mind the Buzzcocks back Tuesday at 9pm on Sky Max

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - quickbeam - 20-09-2021

Need to get this off my chest / make a confession.

I was watching the film Peterloo yesterday, a big, serious film about the Peterloo Massacre in the early 19th Century. It was also mostly an unknown cast (to me anyway), so that the only one I knew in it was Rory Kinnear. But this is my confession - no matter how good he was in this serious role, I still can't see him without thinking of the first time I saw him in anything. The first episode of Black Mirror. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. I'm sure he wouldn't thank me for remembering him for that role. I just can't help myself. I'm going straight to hell for that Blush pac

That is all Wink

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 20-09-2021

Hahahaha had to google, worth it now I remember

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 20-09-2021

Yup, QB. I can see why Big Grin

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - quickbeam - 21-09-2021

(18-09-2021, 01:49 AM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Never Mind the Buzzcocks back Tuesday at 9pm on Sky Max

Not the same. I miss Lamar and Hughes.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Wichita Lineman - 21-09-2021

For those who like this sort of thing....

[Image: 2_Screenshot-2021-09-08-at-165122.png]

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 21-09-2021

(21-09-2021, 09:39 PM)quickbeam Wrote:
(18-09-2021, 01:49 AM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Never Mind the Buzzcocks back Tuesday at 9pm on Sky Max

Not the same.  I miss Lamar and Hughes.

Never going to be as good as it was, but I thought it was a pretty decent revival.  Certainly good enough that I'll watch again next week.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 22-09-2021

Ted Lasso cleaned up at the Emmy awards

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 22-09-2021

Willie Garson, star of shows such as Sex and the City, White Collar, Monk, and Hawaii Five-O, as well as films such as Sex and the City, Sex and the City 2, and There's Something about Mary (to name a few) has died. He was 57, and cause of death was cancer.

RIP

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - ari101 - 23-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 12:12 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Willie Garson, star of shows such as Sex and the City, White Collar, Monk, and Hawaii Five-O, as well as films such as Sex and the City, Sex and the City 2, and There's Something about Mary (to name a few) has died. He was 57, and cause of death was cancer.

RIP

Sad Next time I rewatch white collar (I love that show) I'll have a whole new view on Mozzy knowing he is gone.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 23-09-2021

(23-09-2021, 02:21 PM)ari101 Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 12:12 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Willie Garson, star of shows such as Sex and the City, White Collar, Monk, and Hawaii Five-O, as well as films such as Sex and the City, Sex and the City 2, and There's Something about Mary (to name a few) has died. He was 57, and cause of death was cancer.

RIP

Sad Next time I rewatch white collar (I love that show) I'll have a whole new view on Mozzy knowing he is gone.

I loved White Collar, Matt Bomer's tribute was sad and beautiful

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 23-09-2021

Taskmaster kicking off at 9 on ch4. Highly recommend it to anyone. I'm excited for another season. Think Alan Davies and Victoria Coren Mitchell are on

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 23-09-2021

(23-09-2021, 08:48 PM)nothing Wrote: Taskmaster kicking off at 9 on ch4. Highly recommend it to anyone. I'm excited for another season. Think Alan Davies and Victoria Coren Mitchell are on

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't realised it was starting

Not too inspired by the lineup though. I don't like Alan Davies or Desiree Burch, not convinced by Morgana Robinson as she's an impressionist. Don't know Guz Khan so fingers crossed he's good. Victoria Coren Mitchell is very quick witted so I've high hopes for her, but she's the only one I'm looking forward to seeing. Hopefully I'm proven wrong

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 23-09-2021

I find the ones I don't know or dislike the comedy of tend to grow on me in the season, but not enough to sway me to watching their shows particularly.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 23-09-2021

Ru Paul's Drag Race UK is back this evening too!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - aaronjennings - 24-09-2021

@nothing shock

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=russell-t-davies-to-return-as-doctor-who-showrunner#_

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 24-09-2021

(24-09-2021, 05:07 PM)aaronjennings Wrote: @nothing shock

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=russell-t-davies-to-return-as-doctor-who-showrunner#

I know! I know! I haven't decided if I'm super excited or totally horrified!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 27-09-2021

Babylon 5 Creator J. Michael Straczynski Developing Reboot for The CW

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 28-09-2021

(09-08-2021, 12:21 AM)Zaph Wrote: Ted Lasso is absolutely superb, I'd recommend it to anybody.  You don't even have to know anything, or even care about soccer, that's just the vehicle for probably the most heart-warming, feel-good comedy series you'll ever see.  It's currently halfway through season 2, so I'll renew Apple TV for a month when it's finished just to watch it.
I have just finished season 1, and it is excellent. I have loved every second of this show. I know nothing about soccer, don't like it, never watch it. I love everything about this show, as @Zaph says it is so heart-warming and feel-good. Best TV I have seen since Schitt's Creek which is the highest praise I can give any show.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 28-09-2021

Glad you enjoyed it @cee_jay. There's two episodes of season 2 left to be aired, and with the exception of one rather odd and over-sentinental Christmas episode it's as good as season 1. The most recent two episodes are imo among the best of either series. That said, one of them which features Coach Beard has divided opinions, some people seem to really hate it from what I've read online.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 29-09-2021

Anyone want a free month's Now TV Movies and Entertainment? It'll sign you up but you can cancel before you have to pay anything

Got a voucher that expires in 3hrs!

Had two, but can't stack them.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 29-09-2021

If it's still going I'll take it please EN

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 29-09-2021

Ridley Road is on Sunday 3rd of October on BBC 1 at 9pm

... a suspenseful story about a young Jewish woman, who goes undercover inside a facist organisation in the 1960s.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/jo-bloom-adaptation-ridley-road/amp/

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Wichita Lineman - 05-10-2021

My son talked me into watching 'Squid Game' which is a South Korean fictional drama where 'contestants' who are deeply in debt play children's games in order to win a ton of cash.

Anyone else watching? 

Not my normal cup of tea and I admit watching through my fingers as it's very bloody and violent. However, the acting is superb and I've got really invested in the characters so i have to see how it ends. I've watched 5 of the 9 episodes. 

[Image: squidgame.jpg]

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 10:58 AM)Wichita Lineman Wrote: 'Squid Game'...
...Anyone else watching?

Just saw the first episode so can't judge yet. Pretty clichéd so far, but has a very cool style to it. Interested to see how it develops, because it has to expand beyond just the games

If you or your son want similar, I'd recommend Alice In Borderland, also on netflix. Japanese show from a year back, similar idea. It develops the story well. The concensus on the netflix thread in the old place seemed to be that AIB was the better of the two

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - lorcand1990 - 05-10-2021

Yeah I'm watching squid game, first couple of episodes are a little slow, setting the scene,... finished episode 5 yesterday and its pretty gripping

For me, netflix had auto set up to play it with English dubbing, I'd recommend changing it to english subtitles with original Korean audio

(05-10-2021, 12:13 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: For me, netflix had auto set up to play it with English dubbing, I'd recommend changing it to english subtitles with original Korean audio
I was the same, and switched to subs. The BBC has an article saying the translation wasn't great, but that the dubbing was worse. Shame

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - ShaneU - 05-10-2021

Acting was fine apart from the English speaking VIP's who sounded incredibly wooden and like their words were written in Korean and translated

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - quickbeam - 05-10-2021

I refuse to watch anything foreign that's dubbed. It's a horrible way to watch something. Subtitles all the way.

(05-10-2021, 01:24 PM)quickbeam Wrote: I refuse to watch anything foreign that's dubbed. It's a horrible way to watch something.  Subtitles all the way.

I'll be honest and say I sometimes watch dubbed out of sheer laziness, but I agree that subtitled is a better watch when I've got my focus sorted

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Necro - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 12:13 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote: Yeah I'm watching squid game, first couple of episodes are a little slow, setting the scene,... finished episode 5 yesterday and its pretty gripping

For me, netflix had auto set up to play it with English dubbing, I'd recommend changing it to english subtitles with original Korean audio

Thank you for this! The dubbing is horrific!!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Wichita Lineman - 05-10-2021

I never watch anything dubbed. Subtitles all the way. Even if you lose a bit in translation you make up for it in emphasis and tone.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 05-10-2021

Loved both Squid Game and Alice In Borderland... if you've seen and liked one, make sure to check out the other. I must have changed the subbed/dubbed settings very early on in my Netflix days, because it's played subtitles for me on non-english speaking shows automatically as long as I remember, and have never had to worry about it. Weird that that's not the default from the get go.

Just started finally watching Ted Lasso, and only 5 episodes in, but I completely understand why people rave about it and why critics love it, it's class.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Neowise - 05-10-2021

Gold Rush has a new commentator. not liking them so far, does not have the same entusiasm. Hopefully the origional is only out on holidays and not replaced.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 09-10-2021

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Neowise - 10-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 11:17 PM)Neowise Wrote: Gold Rush has a new commentator. not liking them so far, does not have the same entusiasm. Hopefully the origional is only out on holidays and not replaced.

week 2 of them Sad