A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=72)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Mollyb60 Wrote: Classic recommendations - Firefly, Castle, Eureka, Quantum Leap (my favourite show of all time), Community

Eureka is brill! And warehouse.. 13! Two great shows.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Necro - 12-08-2021

Love The Rookie Molly. There's a little something... different that sets it apart from other shows of a similar nature.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 12-08-2021

Another big fan of The Rookie here. Really enjoyed it.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 12-08-2021

Not to be confused with the Dennis Quaid movie of the same name Big Grin

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Mollyb60 Wrote: Star Trek Lower Decks season 2 was out yesterday so I'll be getting stuck into that too
Is that good? Couldn't find it when it came out but didn't try too hard. Just seen it's on Prime though, might give it a spin

(12-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Mollyb60 Wrote: Quantum Leap (my favourite show of all time)
Excellent choice! I loved that so much, back in the day. I suspect it's dated but I would like to see it again at some point

Watched the first episode of Dispatches from Elsewhere tonight. Promising start, looking forward to carrying on. A bit like "The Game" with Michael Douglas, but more lighthearted. Quite an offbeat style to it, which I like

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 12-08-2021

Caught the first 2 eps of The Watch on bbc2 tonight. It was alright, I thought. Not spectacular enough to go on the high seas but decent enough that I stuck it on the planner for the next few weeks.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 10:43 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Mollyb60 Wrote: Star Trek Lower Decks season 2 was out yesterday so I'll be getting stuck into that too

Is that good? Couldn't find it when it came out but didn't try too hard. Just seen it's on Prime though, might give it a spin

Watched season 1 and tbh wasn't that impressed. I like the premise behind it, but for me it just completely lacked any humour. If it didn't say Star Trek on it I definitely wouldn't have persevered with it to the end. Won't be bothering with season 2.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Diamonds of Frost - 12-08-2021

We are watching a truly groundbreaking and amazing show - Shmigadoon!! Big Grin

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 12-08-2021

I loved it. Does take a couple of episodes to hit its stride, but once it gets going it's excellent. By far my favourite of the recent Star Trek shows (although Discovery and Picard hadn't exactly set the highest of bars to begin with).

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 08:58 PM)Necro Wrote: Love The Rookie Molly. There's a little something... different that sets it apart from other shows of a similar nature.

The character Tim  Wink

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 13-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 11:26 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: We are watching a truly groundbreaking and amazing show - Shmigadoon!!  Big Grin

I saw the trailer. I'm still scarred from the experience!!!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - aaronjennings - 13-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 08:42 PM)nothing Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Mollyb60 Wrote: Classic recommendations - Firefly, Castle, Eureka, Quantum Leap (my favourite show of all time), Community

Add Haven to the list of amazing shows that SyFy made around that period

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - iammetaldave - 13-08-2021

Currents stories being watched -

1 - Curb Your Enthusiasm
2 - Billions
3 - Raised By Wolves
4 - The Rookie
5 - Prodigal Son

My all-out favourite is The Sopranos, to say I have watched it through no less than 20 times is not an exaggeration.

I have The Big Bang Theory on constant rotation as it's my go-to sleep TV show.. Sheldon is the bizz Big Grin

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Kol - 13-08-2021

Anyone watching Raised by wolves? Watched the first episode last night but not really digging it. Reluctant to continue.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 13-08-2021

I really disliked Raised by Wolves... But nobody was surprised by this in this house as SciFi isn't really my go to. Mr CJ enjoyed it, he is a massive SciFi fan.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Mollyb60 - 13-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 08:42 PM)nothing Wrote:

Yes! Warehouse 13 was an excellent show. Never really watched Haven so I might have to give that a go this winter. 

(12-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Mollyb60 Wrote: Quantum Leap (my favourite show of all time)
Excellent choice! I loved that so much, back in the day. I suspect it's dated but I would like to see it again at some point

Watched the first episode of Dispatches from Elsewhere tonight. Promising start, looking forward to carrying on. A bit like "The Game" with Michael Douglas, but more lighthearted. Quite an offbeat style to it, which I like

Loved Lower Decks. Its a rare show that makes me actually laugh out loud (Only ones I can think of off hand are Community, Schitts Creek, the Good Place and Archer maybe at a stretch) but this show does. It's proper Trek in my eyes. Not like the most recent trash coming out of the ST family (Discovery is pure bollox, Picard isn't much better). 
If you like Trek I'd highly highly recommend The Orville. An excellent show, and that's coming from me who hates Seth McFarland with a passion. Another show that's made me laugh out loud.

I actually have the full 5 season boxed set of Quantum Leap here. I started rewatching it a while back but never made it the whole way through before I upgraded my laptop and lost the DVD slot. I still think the show holds up really well and hasn't dated too badly at all. They tackled pretty tough issues very well during its run I think.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 13-08-2021

Lower Decks is great fun, omg The Orville is epic, love it!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 13-08-2021

Cool, I'll get onto Lower Decks Smile
Agree with Discovery - I thought it was OK to start and really tried to stay onside with it but the third series was atrocious crap.
Picard was nice in a nostalgic way but really wasn't up to much

I did start the Orville and was really enjoying it until my NowTV credit ran out! Will get back to it

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 13-08-2021

(13-08-2021, 10:23 AM)cee_jay Wrote: I really disliked Raised by Wolves... But nobody was surprised by this in this house as SciFi isn't really my go to. Mr CJ enjoyed it, he is a massive SciFi fan.
Well that confused me until I googled it! I was thinking of the Caitlin Moran sitcom of the same name, which was grand.

On the Irish-tinged sitcoms theme, This Way Up on C4 is worth a watch. I was skeptical (as a general rule I think sitcoms written by stand-ups usually fall short) but I really liked it, Aisling Bea did a great job. Sharon Horgan being in it means you have to compare it to Catastrophe, and it's not that good, but still worth a watch

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 13-08-2021

I like Aisling Bea, she's very funny in her series of Taskmaster.. which if you haven't watched is brilliant

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 13-08-2021

(13-08-2021, 11:39 AM)Trigger Wrote: I like Aisling Bea, she's very funny in her series of Taskmaster.. which if you haven't watched is brilliant

Saw her do a short stand up set at Cat Laughs a few years ago and she was very funny. Would definitely go see her again. She's very likeable and entertaining in anything she appears in.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 13-08-2021

(13-08-2021, 08:56 AM)iammetaldave Wrote: Currents stories being watched -

1 - Curb Your Enthusiasm
2 - Billions
3 - Raised By Wolves
4 - The Rookie
5 - Prodigal Son

My all-out favourite is The Sopranos, to say I have watched it through no less than 20 times is not an exaggeration.

I have The Big Bang Theory on constant rotation as it's my go-to sleep TV show.. Sheldon is the bizz Big Grin

I much prefer Young Sheldon

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - HeyV - 14-08-2021

Not tv exactly but I started watching Greys Anatomy lately on Disney+ after years of loads of people in work telling me to watch it...
I’m now on season 12 and totally hooked! Smile
Had never seen any of it before, so it’s totally new, fresh viewing for me!
No spoilers please   Big Grin

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - quickbeam - 14-08-2021

Started The Good Wife this weekend.

(14-08-2021, 10:09 PM)quickbeam Wrote: Started The Good Wife this weekend.

That’s another one on my list-are you enjoying it?

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 14-08-2021

(14-08-2021, 10:08 PM)HeyV Wrote: Not tv exactly but I started watching Greys Anatomy lately on Disney+ after years of loads of people in work telling me to watch it...

I never got around to it either *makes note*

I've been watching According to Jim, a bit dated in it's humour, but a grand background watch.

I have Masterchef Australia all downloaded from this year but haven't started it yet, plus Lego Masters AU and US.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Toto Wolfcastle - 14-08-2021

We've been watching series 2 of Taskmaster New Zealand lately. Series 1 was excellent and I think series 2 might actually be even funnier.

(14-08-2021, 10:12 PM)nothing Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 10:08 PM)HeyV Wrote: Not tv exactly but I started watching Greys Anatomy lately on Disney+ after years of loads of people in work telling me to watch it...

I never got around to it either *makes note*

I've been watching According to Jim, a bit dated in it's humour, but a grand background watch.

I have Masterchef Australia all downloaded from this year but haven't started it yet, plus Lego Masters AU and US.

Oh, you should give Greys a go! Never seen According to Jim, but I’ll make a note too! 
You can’t really go wrong with Masterchef - it’s one of those ones that you just HAVE TO watch just one more episode!

(14-08-2021, 10:16 PM)Toto Wolfcastle Wrote: We've been watching series 2 of Taskmaster New Zealand lately. Series 1 was excellent and I think series 2 might actually be even funnier.

What’s it all about?

(14-08-2021, 10:10 PM)HeyV Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 10:09 PM)quickbeam Wrote: Started The Good Wife this weekend.

That’s another one on my list-are you enjoying it?

Literally just the first episode so far, but it's definitely promising. Alibi are showing it from the beginning so I have had it recording the last few weeks.

(because I'm a tech illiterate and can't be dealing with all this streaming malarky the kids get up to these days)

(14-08-2021, 10:21 PM)quickbeam Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 10:10 PM)HeyV Wrote: That’s another one on my list-are you enjoying it?

Literally just the first episode so far, but it's definitely promising.  Alibi are showing it from the beginning so I have had it recording the last few weeks.

(because I'm a tech illiterate and can't be dealing with all this streaming malarky the kids get up to these days)

That’s the series with yer man in it, isn’t it??
Heart
[Image: 89-DFB00-B-2-C1-C-4319-9270-0-FBEE654-BFC6.jpg]

(14-08-2021, 10:21 PM)HeyV Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 10:16 PM)Toto Wolfcastle Wrote: We've been watching series 2 of Taskmaster New Zealand lately. Series 1 was excellent and I think series 2 might actually be even funnier.

What’s it all about?

Taskmaster is excellent, the brits version has 5 comedians competing to complete ridiculous tasks set by Greg Davis and Alex Horne. Hilarity ensues. Not seen the NZ version. The US version was a tad flat. You'll get the British one on all4 for free, and I think nearly all are up on their YouTube channel too. Would recommend!

(14-08-2021, 10:21 PM)HeyV Wrote:

What’s it all about?

A bunch of comedians are given tasks to complete and points are awarded to find a winner. They film the tasks separately and only see how everyone else has done when they film the studio shows. There have been 11 UK series as well, plus some specials.

(14-08-2021, 10:26 PM)nothing Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 10:21 PM)HeyV Wrote: What’s it all about?

Taskmaster is excellent, the brits version has 5 comedians competing to complete ridiculous tasks set by Greg Davis and Alex Horne. Hilarity ensues. Not seen the NZ version. The US version was a tad flat. You'll get the British one on all4 for free, and I think nearly all are up on their YouTube channel too. Would recommend!

The NZ version is on YouTube. Well worth a watch.

(14-08-2021, 10:25 PM)HeyV Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 10:21 PM)quickbeam Wrote: Literally just the first episode so far, but it's definitely promising.  Alibi are showing it from the beginning so I have had it recording the last few weeks.

That’s the series with yer man in it, isn’t it??
Heart

Tis.

Thanks Toto, I'll stick it on my quick binge list for next week. I'm going to do Lower Decks season 1 tomorrow because I've forgotten most of it!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 14-08-2021

(13-08-2021, 12:15 AM)aaronjennings Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 08:42 PM)nothing Wrote: Eureka is brill! And warehouse.. 13! Two great shows.

And also Orphan Black

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Neowise - 15-08-2021

(14-08-2021, 11:24 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:
(13-08-2021, 12:15 AM)aaronjennings Wrote:

And also Orphan Black
Great show that.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 15-08-2021

I've also gotten into Grey's Anatomy for the very first time thanks to Disney + and loving it.

I'm obviously moving at a much slower viewing pace though, as I'm only quite early on in Season 3, but it's great.

I do know certain things that happen along the way, certain cast changes and the like, simply due to pop culture osmosis, so I'm perhaps trying to savour the experience of the early seasons a bit more knowing that perhaps not all of the characters I've become most attached to will be around forever.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 15-08-2021

The New Zealand version is brilliant and Series 2 is currently up there with my favourite series of Taskmaster UK (series 7) but could quite probably surpass it.

David Correos may very well be the greatest Taskmaster contestant ever.