A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=72)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 07-08-2021

Thought a fairly general TV thread for people sharing what they're currently watching these days, and giving recommendations and the like might be in order.

Bit of common sense when it comes to spoilers ; basically don't be a dick and give away big plot points for shows, thus ruining it for people who haven't seen it yet. 

If there's enough interest in a particular show that people want to discuss it in detail, I'm sure it would warrant its own thread for more in depth discussion, but lets keep this place a spoiler-free zone.

So all that said, what's your latest binge-eable obsession that you feel more people should be watching?

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 07-08-2021

I've just started Kim's Convenience myself, as I had heard that anyone who is a fan of Schitt's Creek would really enjoy it.

Only 6 episodes in, but I definitely get the comparison, they're very similar in tone, both Canadian shows which tend to have a bit more freedom and are less in your face or over the top than most US sitcoms tend to be.

Really enjoying it so far, and its on Netflix, so definitely one worth checking out, but especially if you're a Schitt's Creek fan (I know there are a few floating around these parts)

That's all I wanted to say, the whole reason I started the thread, to recommend Kim's Convenience

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525c22e033d3831a1b40...y.gif&ct=g]

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 07-08-2021

Binge wise, I recently watched blackish, grownish and mixedish. Blackish is pretty good, can take or leave the spin offs.

Did the last couple of seasons of Last Man Standing, not hilarious but a grand background show.

Enjoyed all 3 MCU shows this year, What If starts this Wednesday, so looking forward to that!

Parks & Rec, Community and Rick & Morty are all worth a watch. Oh Invincible is excellent. And The Boys!

Regular TV I do some soaps, some reality competitions, how to save money shows, Danger Mouse, Doctor Who...

(07-08-2021, 11:39 PM)nothing Wrote: Binge wise, I recently watched blackish, grownish and mixedish. Blackish is pretty good, can take or leave the spin offs.

Did the last couple of seasons of Last Man Standing, not hilarious but a grand background show.

Enjoyed all 3 MCU shows this year, What If starts this Wednesday, so looking forward to that!

Parks & Rec, Community and Rick & Morty are all worth a watch. Oh Invincible is excellent. And The Boys!

Regular TV I do some soaps, some reality competitions, how to save money shows, Danger Mouse, Doctor Who...

Agree with most of those, but I don't get the hype with Invincible. Gave up about half-way through episode 5 and I only stuck with it that long because so many people were saying how great it was, but just felt it was very meh in the end.

I'm just a superhero junkie tbh, I'd watch just about anything. I'm also working my way through arrowverse, think I'm up to 2018 so far.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 07-08-2021

Just about to start a rematch of SOA since its been a long time since I watched it last. Gonna see how it holds up with older me Big Grin

(07-08-2021, 11:50 PM)Trigger Wrote: Just about to start a rematch of SOA since its been a long time since I watched it last. Gonna see how it holds up with older me Big Grin

Sons of Anarchy?

(07-08-2021, 11:45 PM)nothing Wrote: I'm just a superhero junkie tbh, I'd watch just about anything. I'm also working my way through arrowverse, think I'm up to 2018 so far.

I do feel I've hit a bit of superhero fatigue so that could be part of my issue with Invincible.

That said I had only finished season 2 of The Boys before watching Invincible and loved it.

Really liked WandaVision and Loki, thought Falcon and the Winter Soldier was only okay, but am really looking forward to What If.

Arrowverse, I watched all of Arrow, pretty much all or Legends of Tomorrow (got to about half-way through the current season and then just felt it was getting a bit repetitive. Those two shows are pretty great though. Supergirl I stuck with until towards the end of Season 4. About with the same with The Flash, gave up after Season 4. Black Lightning I only managed about half of season 1, and Batwoman I barely made it through the pilot episode. I did watch the first 5 episodes of Superman & Lois earlier this year and I'll probably return to that and Legends (out of loyality) at some point in the future once they've built up more episodes.

(07-08-2021, 11:50 PM)Trigger Wrote: Just about to start a rematch of SOA since its been a long time since I watched it last. Gonna see how it holds up with older me Big Grin

(07-08-2021, 11:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Sons of Anarchy?

Never got around to Sons of Anarchy actually. One of those ones that has eternally been on my watchlist but usually gets overlooked when something shinier comes along. Must actually get around to it at some point.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 11:52 PM)nothing Wrote:

Sons of Anarchy?
Yeah it's on Disney + so I said I may as well

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Kol - 08-08-2021

On season 9 of 24. Luckily its the short season.

8 pretty darn good seasons is some going. It did drag a bit in the middle and I'm glad its finished as I don't usually engrose myself in such a long tv project and I want to move onto other shows. It was well worth it though.

Up next, cooking with Paris.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 12:01 AM)Kol Wrote: On season 9 of 24. Luckily its the short season.

8 pretty darn good seasons is some going. It did drag a bit in the middle and I'm glad its finished as I don't usually engrose myself in such a long tv project and I want to move onto other shows. It was well worth it though.

Up next, cooking with Paris.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Used to have the clock countdown for ad-breaks and end episodes from 24 as my text message ringtone for the majority of the late 2000s

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - tusk - 08-08-2021

Have rewatched a few times. What a show

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 08-08-2021

I enjoyed Hacks with Jean Smart

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 08-08-2021

I'm hearing good things about Ted Lasso, the new awards darling so must check it out

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - quickbeam - 08-08-2021

Not a new show but then I’m always behind the times unlike you youngsters, but just finished Battlestar Galactica reboot series.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Necro - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 12:30 AM)tusk Wrote:

Have rewatched a few times. What a show

We'll just ignore the Belfast debacle... It never happened  Confused

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 10:05 AM)Necro Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 12:30 AM)tusk Wrote: Have rewatched a few times. What a show

We'll just ignore the Belfast debacle... It never happened  Confused

Yeah I'm gonna watch it right through I think and hope it doesn't turn me off it again pac

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Necro - 08-08-2021

It's actually what puts me off a rewatch tbh. Those accents... *pukes*

Loved the rest of it though.

Currently watching two shows at the moment, I like to dip in between a few so I don't get burnout. Fear The Walking Dead, I'm three episodes deep in Season 4 but took some time out to start The Good Place, a show I'd watched a small bit of previously but not the whole lot of it. Enjoying both so far.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 10:10 AM)Necro Wrote: It's actually what puts me off a rewatch tbh. Those accents... *pukes*

Currently watching two shows at the moment, I like to dip in between a few so I don't get burnout. Fear The Walking Dead, I'm three episodes deep in Season 4 but took some time out to start The Good Place, a show I'd watched a small bit of previously but not the whole lot of it. Enjoying both so far.

Yeah I think I was lucky enough that when I watched the first time round I was deafer than deaf pac

We have just finished the seasons of Blackish that were on Disney and have moved onto Grownish. I think they are some of the better comedy series, they throw in proper RL issues facing black people in the US but keep it lighthearted. I enjoy that sort of writing.

I think it's evident in the likes of Scrubs too where they show the serious side of the hospital while also keeping the viewer interested through the sheer hilarity

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Lord TSC - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 10:10 AM)Necro Wrote: It's actually what puts me off a rewatch tbh. Those accents... *pukes*

I started watching The Good Place a few weeks back and am near the end of Season 3, and I really just adore it. Since I did Philosophy for my Arts degree, I love seeing all that type of stuff in the show and can't think of another show like it.

Its awesome, especially if you can go in a little blind to the plot outside the first episode. It packs a lot into a short time frame and doesn't drag stuff out either.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 08-08-2021

Have heard good things about Ted Lasso too @jp liz v1 so must check it out at some point. Seems to be the "one to watch" for a lot of critics and TV junkies at the moment anyway.

Battlestar Galactica is one of the best (possibly the best) sci-fi shows I've ever watched. No harm in being behind the times @quickbeam - better late than never and all that.

Only a litte bit ahead of you on Fear The Walking Dead @Necro - I like to take a decent break in between seasons so Season 4 is only recently in my rear view mirror. It was probably my favourote season though, so probably won't leave it too long before starting Season 5.

The Good Place is amazing, Eleanor is one of my favourite TV characters of all-time, and as @Lord TSC says you're best knowing as little as possible about it in advance.

I must go back to Black-ish and Grown-ish now that they're on Disney +.. Used to stream them on the seven seas up until a couple of years ago. Think I was halfway through season 5 of Black-ish and possibly had finished (or thereabouts) Season 1 of Grown-ish. As @Trigger and @nothing said, they're worth checking out if you've not seen them.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Spears - 08-08-2021

I go through phases of not watching tv for ages, then I'll binge a bit.
I like an easy watch. anything with plot twists, I find them too confusing lol.

so recently I'm watching:

Best Leftovers Ever (Netflix) One of the hosts is very annoying(Jackie Tohn) but I like the show. 

Crazy Delicious (Netflix) is great. Bit like Bake Off but with just three contestants.

and I have the hots for one of the chef judges, Niklas Ekstedt! he's not even my type so that makes him extra special  Tongue  

Genuis Season 1 (Disney). The first season is about the life of Albert Einstein. 

Really like this show. and i liked both actors that played Albert- Johnny Flynn as a younger Einstein, and Geoffrey Rush who played an older Einstein.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Zaph - 09-08-2021

Ted Lasso is absolutely superb, I'd recommend it to anybody. You don't even have to know anything, or even care about soccer, that's just the vehicle for probably the most heart-warming, feel-good comedy series you'll ever see. It's currently halfway through season 2, so I'll renew Apple TV for a month when it's finished just to watch it.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 10-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 11:31 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: I've just started Kim's Convenience myself, as I had heard that anyone who is a fan of Schitt's Creek would really enjoy it.

Only 6 episodes in, but I definitely get the comparison, they're very similar in tone, both Canadian shows which tend to have a bit more freedom and are less in your face or over the top than most US sitcoms tend to be.

Really enjoying it so far, and its on Netflix, so definitely one worth checking out, but especially if you're a Schitt's Creek fan (I know there are a few floating around these parts)

That's all I wanted to say, the whole reason I started the thread, to recommend Kim's Convenience

Your recs are normally pretty solid, and I'm on my 3rd rewatch of Schitts Creek... Started it on Sunday and really enjoying it so far! I'm now 5 episodes in, and it's perfect timing to watch on lunch break.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - RSOAPS - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 05:52 PM)cee_jay Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 11:31 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: I've just started Kim's Convenience myself, as I had heard that anyone who is a fan of Schitt's Creek would really enjoy it.

Your recs are normally pretty solid, and I'm on my 3rd rewatch of Schitts Creek... Started it on Sunday and really enjoying it so far! I'm now 5 episodes in, and it's perfect timing to watch on lunch break.

Ah someone who appreciates the legitimacy of my recommendations... pac

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - JagsMickuar - 10-08-2021

TV died with cvoid, year of the rewatch for me....

That being said the boys and uploaded are 2 things I watched on prime both if which I thought were very good.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 10-08-2021

Oh dear, I saw an ad that changing rooms is back! Complete with Laurence Llewellyn Bowen!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Trigger - 10-08-2021

Your issue there is that you are watching TV with Ads

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - nothing - 10-08-2021

Worse than that, I will also watch changing rooms!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 10-08-2021

As HBO has renewed The White Lotus for season 2, going to watch season 1 when it starts on Sky Atlantic soon

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - E.N. - 11-08-2021

Bit behind, but finished the Netflix F1 documentary, Drive To Survive, last night.
It really is brilliant - I've got a passing interest in F1 from my younger days but wouldn't watch it anymore. Heard plenty of reviews from people with no interest who enjoyed it too. The level of access they have is crazy, but nowhere near as crazy as how open and honest everyone is with their interviews, it really seems like nothing's off limit. Incredibly well compiled and edited as well, so each episode is a standalone story. Highly, highly recommend it. If you're interested, give it three episodes or so though, it does take a little while find its stride (there's 3 series of 10 episodes, I think)

Will probably move on Last Chance U Basketball to stay with the sports docs theme, enjoyed the American Football ones

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 11-08-2021

I've given Stumptown a rewatch, shame it was cancelled as the cast worked well together and great music

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Necro - 11-08-2021

I'm still watching SVU cos I'm a glutton for procedurals and it's prob the best long running one imo.

Got all excited about the crossover with the new Law and Order: Organised Crime and thought that it looked decent... I was very underwhelmed by the first episode though Sad

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - cee_jay - 11-08-2021

(11-08-2021, 07:10 PM)Necro Wrote: I'm still watching SVU cos I'm a glutton for procedurals and it's prob the best long running one imo.

Got all excited about the crossover with the new Law and Order: Organised Crime and thought that it looked decent... I was very underwhelmed by the first episode though Sad

Same, it wasn't great imo. 

Cruel Summer on Prime looks interesting. I watched the first episode last night.

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Necro - 11-08-2021

(11-08-2021, 07:33 PM)cee_jay Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 07:10 PM)Necro Wrote: I'm still watching SVU cos I'm a glutton for procedurals and it's prob the best long running one imo.

Same, it wasn't great imo. 

Cruel Summer on Prime looks interesting. I watched the first episode last night.

Oh that does look good... I might give it a whirl later this eve. 

I liked the crossover episode but then downloaded the first two eps of the new Law and Order and just didn't like it. Shame as Stabler is a good character and there were always huge unanswered questions about him in SVU... I think he will eventually end up back there tbh

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - aaronjennings - 11-08-2021

Speaking of procedural shows, I've really gotten in to 9-1-1 and it's spin-off Lone Star lately. I watched the latest seasons of Chicago Med and Fire (wasn't a fan of PD, gave up on that one quickly) and they were surprisingly addictive. Completely unrealistic, but very entertaining. So when the 9-1-1 shows came around for new season, I gave them a go to see what they were like, to fill the Chicago-shaped whole in my schedule

Now I though the Chicago shows were unrealistic, but my God, the 9-1-1 shows make them look like gritty documentaries in comparison  Big Grin

They are so much fun though, give me this trash over edgy, HBO sensations any day

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - BuileBeag - 12-08-2021

I started watching The Man in the High Castle. I'm only two episodes in but I really like it!

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - jp liz v1 - 12-08-2021

I love SVU especially Carisi but want him back as a detective with Barba as the DA

RE: Armchair Critics - Let's Talk TV - Mollyb60 - 12-08-2021

Lots of good shows mentioned here. The Boys, Invincible, Loki, Wandavision. All great.
The Good Place was my favourite show of recent times.
I also really enjoyed The Rookie. I do enjoy me a good bit of Nathan Fillion.
Watched all of Arrow but I could never get into the spin offs, saw 1 season of The Flash and Black Lightning, saw none of the rest and I've no interest at all.

I've just finished season 2 of Doom Patrol and found it better than the first season. Some really really weird episodes but I loved the absurdity of it all. Also looking forward to starting What If and Star Trek Lower Decks season 2 was out yesterday so I'll be getting stuck into that too. And the last season of Lucifer is out in September which should be interesting.

Classic recommendations - Firefly, Castle, Eureka, Quantum Leap (my favourite show of all time), Community