A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown (/showthread.php?tid=511)

Pages: 1 2

FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown - ShaneU - 23-12-2023

Countdown begins at 7 tonight. I'm making the cut off at 10 points which leaves us with 25 songs!

RE: FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown - ShaneU - 23-12-2023

Let's take a look at the songs with more than one nomination that didn't make the top 25!

East 17 - Stay Another Day 

Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock

Pretenders - 2000 Miles

The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride

David Essex - A Winter's Tale

RE: FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown - Mam of 4 - 23-12-2023

Lol already 🤣🙈

Okay let's go!

In 15th place with 10 points is... 

O Holy Night by Carrie Underwood / Il Divo

Songfact: O Holy Night is based on an 1843 French poem called Minuit, Chrétiens (Midnight, Christians) by Placide Cappeau that composer Adolphe Adam set to music in 1847.

In joint 14th place with 11 points is...

Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon & Yoko Ono

Songfact: The song is a protest about the Vietnam war. Lennon and Ono rented billboards in eleven cities around the world that read 'WAR IS OVER!' (If you want it) Happy Christmas from John and Yoko.

In joint 14th place with 11 points is...

Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby & David Bowie

Songfact: Bing Crosby died a month after the recording after finishing a round of golf in Madrid before the Christmas special was even aired.

In 13th place with 12 points is...

Mary's Boy Child by Boney M

Songfact: First released by Harry Belafonte in 1957, he became the first black male to have a #1 in the UK. It was also the first song to sell 1 million copies in the UK and was the first number one to be longer than four minutes.

In joint 12th place with 13 points is...

Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney

Songfact: At the time McCartney was experimenting with the new electropop movement which explains the weird boinging sound throughout the song. The sound was created by an early synthesizer called a Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, which was also used on Kim Carnes' Bette Davis Eyes and the Doobie Brothers' What a Fool Believes

In joint 12th place with 13 points is...

Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

Songfact: Rea wrote the song many years before he recorded it. The idea came to him when he was stuck in traffic leaving London for Middlesbrough in his wife's Mini.

In joint 11th place with 14 points is...

Walking in the Air by Peter Autey

Songfact: In the 1982 animated film The Snowman this is sang by English choirboy Peter Autey. However Welsh choirboy Aled Jones recorded the vocals on its subsequent single release.

Some good songs!

Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

Songfact: When Noddy Holder wrote the line "Look to the future now, it's only just begun" he had in mind the strikes that were blighting Britain at the time. "The miners had been on strike, along with the gravediggers, the bakers and almost everybody else. I think people wanted something to cheer them up and so did I."

We also had a nomination for the Steps cover pac So I'll include that anyway.

RE: FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown - jp liz v1 - 23-12-2023

I'll admit I do enjoy that Steps version, Christmas cheesy

I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday by Wizzard

Songfact: Engineer Steve Brown turned the air conditioning down to its coldest setting while Wizzard were recording to help create a wintry feel.

In joint 10th place with 17 points is...

Lonely This Christmas by Mud

Songfact: Many mistake this as being an Elvis song! The truth is singer Les Gray just really liked Elvis and dressed up in his best 70's Elvis threads for the video and live performances.

In joint 10th place with 17 points is...

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland 

Songfact: This song was first sang by Judy Garland in the 1944 musical Meet Me in St. Louis. The original lyrics were "Have yourself a merry little Christmas, it may be your last, next year we may all be living in the past. Faithful friends who were dear to us will be near to us no more" Garland refused to sing them and helped change them to lighten the mood of the song.

We also received nominations for the Bing Crosby and Lady Antebellum versions below

In 9th place with 18 points is...

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! by Dean Martin

Songfact: First released by Vaughn Monroe in 1945, it was later covered by Frank Sinatra in 1950 and Dean Martin in 1959

We also received a nomination for the Frank Sinatra version below

We're into the 20 points range now which means the next 5 songs were all voted number one by some of you. First up is Declan A Walsh's favourite Christmas song...

I can't even remember what I put down, let alone know whether I liked any of them or not 🤣

In joint 8th place with 20 points is...

Grown-up Christmas list by David Foster and Natalie Cole

Songfact: Natalie Cole was the daughter of singer and Jazz pianist Nat King Cole

Next up is Necro's favourite Christmas song (if you can call it that? pac)

If I Can Dream by Elvis Presley

Songfact: If I Can Dream was the last song sang by Elvis on his 1968 comeback special, his first live performance in 7 years. The song was written at the last minute to replace "I'll Be Home For Christmas." The show's musical director, W. Earl Brown wrote it as a response to the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, which had happened a few months previously.

Next up is.....MY favourite Christmas song!

Carol of the Bells

Songfact: The arrangement is taken from the Ukrainian song "Schedryk" which was based on Ukrainian folk chants. The lyrics tell the story of a swallow flying into a household to proclaim the bountiful year that the family will have. It was rearranged with completely new English lyrics in 1936 by Peter Wilhousky

DejaBoo's favourite Christmas song up next (another questionable one pac)

Auld Lang Syne by Leia Murphy

Songfact: The song was sung over 150 years before poet Robert Burns came across it in the late 1780's from an old man singing, adding at least two new verses of his own. It's popularity as a New Year's tune can be attributed to Guy Lombardo who started the tradition of singing it at the stroke of midnight in 1930 at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City.

Liz's favourite song up next

All Alone on Christmas by Darlene Love

Songfact: All Alone on Christmas serves as a memorable musical moment in the movie "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York". It's inclusion in an iconic scene where Kevin McCallister finds himself alone in New York during Christmas time has resonated with fans over the years"

Some songs here that I didn't know of.

In 7th place with 24 points....

Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano

Songfact:
Jose Feliciano: "For some reason, this little song has united everyone. Nobody can get angry that you made them sing Feliz Navidad because it's in Spanish. Nobody can get angry because you made them sing the English part."

In 6th place with 33 points...

Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens

Songfact: The song was originally meant to be released in 1984 but was delayed a year to avoid competing with Band Aid and Wham

In joint 5th place with 36 points is...

I Believe In Father Christmas by Greg Lake

Songfact: The song was kept from number one by Bohemian Rhapsody. Lake commented: "I got beaten by one of the greatest records ever made. I would've been pissed off if I'd be been beat by Cliff Richard"

Next up is Jluv's favourite Christmas song

In joint 5th place with 36 points is...

All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey

Songfact: An English farmer named Angus Wielkopolski discovered that goats produce more milk listening to this tune than any other song. The discovery was made at St. Helen's farm near York where staff listen to music while they milk the cows. They found that the goats produced up to half a pint more when Carey's famous Christmas track was played.

Kol's favourite song up next with a big jump in the scores, top 4 were very close.

[Image: kAUJeAq.png]

In 4th place with 52 points is...

Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid

Songfact: In the book I Want My MTV, George Michael said: "The only person who didn't succumb to the charitable nature of the day was Paul Weller, who decided to have a go at me in front of everybody. I said 'Don't be a wanker all your life. Have a day off'"

Spears' favourite song is next

Shane U , loving all the facts about each song!

In 3rd place with 55 points is...

Last Christmas by Wham

Songfact: Last Christmas reached #1 on the UK singles chart for the first time on January 3rd 2021, 36 years after it's original 1984 release which was held off the top spot by Do they know it's Christmas. It held the record for longest time taken to reach #1 until Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill broke the record in June 2022, 37 years after it's release.

Mamof4 and HildaOgden both had the same #1 song, it's up next

@HildaSilvioOgden , The Sopranos obviously have great taste 🤣

In 2nd place with 56 points its...

Stop The Cavalry by Jona Lewie

Songfact: Jona Lewie told the Daily Express on March 12, 2005: "The soldier in the song is a bit like the eternal soldier at the Arc de Triomphe, but the song actually had nothing to do with Christmas when I wrote it. There is one line about him being on the front and missing his girlfriend: 'I wish I was at home for Christmas.' The record company picked up on that from a marketing perspective and added a tubular bell."

Up next is Leggy's favourite song and our number one overall!

Love that song tbh .

In 1st place with 58 points it's...

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl

Songfact: Why would someone write such a song? On a bet! According to Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan, it originated when Elvis Costello bet that he and the band's banjo player Jem Finer couldn't come up with a slushy Christmas duet.

That's all folks, be sure to join Necro's games for tomorrow night if you haven't already  Smile

RE: FOG's Favourite Christmas Songs Countdown - Declan A Walsh - 23-12-2023

Thanks @ShaneU . Your facts were very entertaining, even when I did not particularly like a song.

Thank you @ShaneU !

Some great songs but also excellent facts !

Thank you @ShaneU  for the songs and facts

Christmas classics, they don't do them like that anymore

We should collectively write a Christmas song and get to No. 1 in Christmas 2024, someone phone Lulu Walsh to manage us, FOG has talent  Big Grin