A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
Soccer Chat - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Soccer Chat (/showthread.php?tid=49)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Soccer Chat - lorcand1990 - 05-05-2022

Madrid are just defying all logic, every knock out game they have been outplayed for the most part, but consistently score goals in bursts and win games, it's bizzare.. I'd fear for their back 4 against Liverpool though

Sad state of affairs where I just don't want Liverpool to win 'the treble' (the actual one Tongue ) or even worse...

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 08:20 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote: Sad state of affairs where I just don't want Liverpool to win 'the treble' (the actual one Tongue ) or even worse...
You'll probably be OK. Going off the bookies odds...

CL ~63% chance
FA ~59% chance
League ~33% chance

=> ~12% chance of the lot

It won't happen, but it's a seriously good ride!

RE: Soccer Chat - lorcand1990 - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 09:10 AM)E.N. Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 08:20 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote: Sad state of affairs where I just don't want Liverpool to win 'the treble' (the actual one Tongue ) or even worse...
You'll probably be OK. Going off the bookies odds...

CL ~63% chance
FA ~59% chance
League ~33% chance

I saw an interesting stat that Liverpool will have played every possible fixture that could have been available to them at the start of the season, don't know if that's ever happened to an English team before?

Hmm I wonder why bookies think they have less of a chance of winning the FA Cup vs Champions League? I would have thought Madrid would have a better chance than Chelsea, but I won't argue with the bookies!!

Also, Real Madrid have won La Liga already so have 3 weeks to rest up, Liverpool don't have that comfort.. I suppose that can have it's pro's & cons on both sides

RE: Soccer Chat - Trigger - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 09:27 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 09:10 AM)E.N. Wrote: You'll probably be OK. Going off the bookies odds...

CL ~63% chance
FA ~59% chance
League ~33% chance

I saw an interesting stat that Liverpool will have played every possible fixture that could have been available to them at the start of the season, don't know if that's ever happened to an English team before?

Hmm I wonder why bookies think they have less of a chance of winning the FA Cup vs Champions League? I would have thought Madrid would have a better chance than Chelsea, but I won't argue with the bookies!!

Also, Real Madrid have won La Liga already so have 3 weeks to rest up, Liverpool don't have that comfort.. I suppose that can have it's pro's & cons on both sides

Bookies would look at form etc particulars like attack v defensive records and that.. Reals defence is seriously shake whereas Chelseas not so much..

Chelsea a London team playing in London also. 

If I was a Pool fan I would have rathered facing City in the final.. there is just something about Real when it comes to the Champions League. Plus they probably have the greatest European Cup manager at the helm.

RE: Soccer Chat - aaronjennings - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 10:09 AM)Trigger Wrote: If I was a Pool fan I would have rathered facing City in the final.. there is just something about Real when it comes to the Champions League. Plus they probably have the greatest European Cup manager at the helm.

I never thought I'd say it, but personally I'd much rather face Real in the final. After a full season of going toe-to-toe with City in the Premier League, the hype around a CL final between the two would have been massive, especially since the final is less than a week after the final round of the PL

From a footballing perspective, there's no question that Liverpool vs Man City would have been the most attractive fixture. But from a Liverpool perspective, IMO a final against "not-City" releases some of the pressure on that match already

Of course, Real are the champions of Spain with several games remaining, and have shown how stubbornly hard-headed they are in the Champions League, so it's not going to be an easy match by any stretch of the imagination

But I do think it will be a less-stressful build-up to it, and even if Liverpool are still on for the Q-word going into that match, it'd be better to lose it to Real than an English side Big Grin

RE: Soccer Chat - Necro - 05-05-2022

Look lads all this Q talk is great but can ye just do me one feckin favour and beat Spurs this weekend. I don't ask for much pac

After that ye can win the whole lot as far as I'm concernedBig Grin

RE: Soccer Chat - jp liz v1 - 05-05-2022

Text Trip to 57199 €2 cost for France Final Competition

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 05-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 09:27 AM)lorcand1990 Wrote: I saw an interesting stat that Liverpool will have played every possible fixture that could have been available to them at the start of the season, don't know if that's ever happened to an English team before?
We have, in 2001 Wink
That was the UEFA Cup though. This is the first time anyone has made the finals of the CL, FA Cup and League Cup

(05-05-2022, 02:11 PM)aaronjennings Wrote: I never thought I'd say it, but personally I'd much rather face Real in the final. After a full season of going toe-to-toe with City in the Premier League, the hype around a CL final between the two would have been massive, especially since the final is less than a week after the final round of the PL

From a footballing perspective, there's no question that Liverpool vs Man City would have been the most attractive fixture. But from a Liverpool perspective, IMO a final against "not-City" releases some of the pressure on that match already

Of course, Real are the champions of Spain with several games remaining, and have shown how stubbornly hard-headed they are in the Champions League, so it's not going to be an easy match by any stretch of the imagination

But I do think it will be a less-stressful build-up to it, and even if Liverpool are still on for the Q-word going into that match, it'd be better to lose it to Real than an English side Big Grin

Yep, I agree with every word of this!

Ultimately I don't think there's much difference to the chances of us winning based on who we're playing. I do think Real are weaker, but get the counter argument.

For me, I never want to play English teams in Europe, it doesn't feel like Europe then. Plus losing to City is an unbearable thought, losing to Real not so much. And winning will feel like winning no matter who we beat Wink

RE: Soccer Chat - ShaneU - 05-05-2022

Can you imagine if Liverpool won the quadruple, you'd never hear the end of it, their fans are insufferable enough as it is.

RE: Soccer Chat - Wichita Lineman - 07-05-2022

[Image: f5b7a3030f78edf12ef3eb13730c75ae6f28f2e3...80h720.jpg][Image: oh-you-aint-seen-nothing-yet-branch.gif]

RE: Soccer Chat - ShaneU - 07-05-2022

United are an embarrassment. All those players deserve hefty fines

RE: Soccer Chat - jp liz v1 - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 07:11 PM)ShaneU Wrote: United are an embarrassment. All those players deserve hefty fines

Refund the Fans 

Cut the Wages 

As a MU fan I'm ashamed

RE: Soccer Chat - Necro - 12-05-2022

Rob Holding is off my Christmas card list anyways. Dribbling idiocy.

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 14-05-2022

(05-05-2022, 10:52 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Can you imagine if Liverpool won the quadruple, you'd never hear the end of it, their fans are insufferable enough as it is.
Still on 😝

(obviously we won't win the league, I'm not delusional. But it's technically possible!)

RE: Soccer Chat - lorcand1990 - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 09:37 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 10:52 PM)ShaneU Wrote: Can you imagine if Liverpool won the quadruple, you'd never hear the end of it, their fans are insufferable enough as it is.
Still on 😝

(obviously we won't win the league, I'm not delusional. But it's technically possible!)
Can you win the league on penalties too!?  Tongue

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 14-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 09:50 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote:
(14-05-2022, 09:37 PM)E.N. Wrote: Still on 😝

Can you win the league on penalties too!?  Tongue
Well... maybe! Wink

sky-sports-could-there-be-a-playoff-for-the-premier-league-title-this-season

RE: Soccer Chat - Wichita Lineman - 14-05-2022

Timmy the Greek

[Image: 5913.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=forma...b6df815cef]

RE: Soccer Chat - Zaph - 14-05-2022

Regardless of who won today, the important thing is that Chelsea didn't win.

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 15-05-2022

(14-05-2022, 09:37 PM)E.N. Wrote: (obviously we won't win the league, I'm not delusional. But it's technically possible!)
[Image: FS0ZG6WWUAE88oE?format=jpg&name=900x900]

[Image: endgame-avengers.gif]

RE: Soccer Chat - Kol - 20-05-2022

Viera could be in a bit of trouble. Some fans need a good kicking but you can't do that when you're at work and the world is watching.

These end of season pitch invasions are a disgrace anyway, Everton fans should be embarrassed they only just avoided relegation not celebrating like they won the league.

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 20-05-2022

(20-05-2022, 08:31 AM)Kol Wrote: Viera could be in a bit of trouble. Some fans need a good kicking but you can't do that when you're at work and the world is watching
I agree he could be in trouble, but don't blame him one bit. Running on to celebrate is one thing, but why would you be in Viera's face shouting abuse and filming it? Deserved what he got (which was next to nothing)

Oh I have no sympathy for the guy, just unfortunate for Viera it was the wrong time and place.

I read some pundit saying they should ban anyone who invades the pitch, that's a good call I reckon. Could be difficult to police but it might deter people from trying it.

I don't watch much GAA but aren't pitch invasions quite common in it, especially finals? How is it viewed in the GAA?

RE: Soccer Chat - lorcand1990 - 20-05-2022

(20-05-2022, 11:54 AM)Kol Wrote: I read some pundit saying they should ban anyone who invades the pitch, that's a good call I reckon. Could be difficult to police but it might deter people from trying it.

I don't watch much GAA but aren't pitch invasions quite common in it, especially finals? How is it viewed in the GAA?
I'll preface this by saying I'm a big fan of GAA & Premier League

In the GAA pitch invasions are pretty common at club level & perhaps county level at 'lesser' grounds. Generally they are fine & everyone is pretty well behaved (I'm sure there are exceptions). There isn't the same mentality in most GAA fans compared to the Premier League fans. For instance I would not expect a GAA fan to start giving the opponent manager abuse straight into his face after a match.

However once you get to finals, especially in Croke Park pitch invasions are a thing of the past. They cover the 1st 4 rows of seats to discourage people entering & have a big screen in front of Hill 16.

RE: Soccer Chat - Necro - 20-05-2022

Lasagna-gate part deux?

Or should that be douche....😆😆

RE: Soccer Chat - aaronjennings - 22-05-2022

(15-05-2022, 07:25 PM)E.N. Wrote: [Image: endgame-avengers.gif]

What he said...

RE: Soccer Chat - Necro - 22-05-2022

Well done @Zaph I'd say you've no nails left!

RE: Soccer Chat - Zaph - 22-05-2022

(22-05-2022, 06:10 PM)Necro Wrote: Well done @Zaph I'd say you've no nails left!

I'm an absolute wreck after that.  And I have to head out now so couldn't even drink during it!

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 22-05-2022

(22-05-2022, 06:02 PM)aaronjennings Wrote:
(15-05-2022, 07:25 PM)E.N. Wrote: [Image: endgame-avengers.gif]

What he said...

What an absolute gutpunch. Horrific way for it to go.

Although at one stage they were losing and we couldn't score, we'd have lost on GD then, which would have been worse. At least we did win...

Good to see you sticking around @Zaph!
And certainly won't miss Burnley

RE: Soccer Chat - lorcand1990 - 23-05-2022

Looks like there was more hassle yesterday with pitch invasions at Etihad. The Villa keeper looks like he took a couple of digs from fans.

City love a bit of last day drama...

Nice to see Leeds sticking around over Burnley, at least Leeds are interesting to watch!

RE: Soccer Chat - Kol - 23-05-2022

I follow the Liverpool thread over on boards and they are always complaining about the financial doping side of City. While it may be true, they still have to play games and win points. Whichever way you look at it they have been a fantastic team, as have we (Liverpool) over the last 4 or 5 seasons. It's unfortunate that we have this team at a time when the Man city machine is around. When we look back in the history books, we won't have won as many titles as we could have if we were around say 10 years ago.
90+ point in 3 seasons out of 4 is some going, even if we have just 1 title to show for it.

Congrats to City
Also glad Leeds stayed up.
Bring on Madrid.

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 28-05-2022

Here's hoping for number 7 today 🤞😁

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

RE: Soccer Chat - ShaneU - 28-05-2022

Here's hoping for number 14  pac

[Image: 5472.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8...d9362f4f77]

RE: Soccer Chat - ShaneU - 28-05-2022

Thank Fook for that pac

RE: Soccer Chat - jp liz v1 - 29-05-2022

Thibaut Courtois the hero keeper

RE: Soccer Chat - Wichita Lineman - 29-05-2022

I went to the fan zone in Paris for the match. Great experience, apart from the result obviously, oh and the behaviour of the French police!

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 30-05-2022

(29-05-2022, 11:38 PM)Wichita Lineman Wrote: I went to the fan zone in Paris for the match. Great experience, apart from the result obviously, oh and the behaviour of the French police!
Did you get caught up in anything afterwards? Heard there was tear gas at the fanzone too. Absolute disgrace

RE: Soccer Chat - lorcand1990 - 30-05-2022

(30-05-2022, 10:28 AM)E.N. Wrote:
(29-05-2022, 11:38 PM)Wichita Lineman Wrote: I went to the fan zone in Paris for the match. Great experience, apart from the result obviously, oh and the behaviour of the French police!
Did you get caught up in anything afterwards? Heard there was tear gas at the fanzone too. Absolute disgrace
The whole thing seems to have been a shambles of a set up from UEFA & whatever police system in place

There were thousands of fans bottlenecked into tiny corridors for security checks, let in one at a time. Even a layman could tell you that would cause chaos

Saw a few videos of fans from both sides trying to climb fences towards the stadium, also people who didn't seem to have an affiliation with either just chancing their arm.. ridiculous

Obviously I have zero love for Liverpool but I saw a video of fans shouting at staff behind a fence to let them through & were showing their tickets as you can hear the game isn't far from kicking off in the background. You'd have to feel for them

Saw a video too that apparently as soon as full time was blown the police started pepper spraying in the fan zone

RE: Soccer Chat - Necro - 30-05-2022

Apparently it's not the first time that there's been hassle with entrance into a game in that stadium which is lovely considering the rugby world cup is in France next year....

RE: Soccer Chat - E.N. - 30-05-2022

(30-05-2022, 12:18 PM)Necro Wrote: Apparently it's not the first time that there's been hassle with entrance into a game in that stadium which is lovely considering the rugby world cup is in France next year....
Yeah, I was thrilled to get a ticket for Ireland Scotland there, but feel a bit apprehensive now

Still, I'll probably still be queueing in Dublin Airport at that point!