A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal (/showthread.php?tid=251)

The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - E.N. - 17-02-2022

OK, here we go!
Couple of draws still to separate but otherwise ready

I decided to give everyone 5/5 for the fit as it's subjective, but you'll see later on I had second thoughts about that Tongue

All good songs, the worst I have say about any of that they just didn't grab me. We have a very clear winner though! Stay tuned...

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - E.N. - 17-02-2022

Starting with last and counting down to the best. Someone had to be there, and it's...

Wind of Change by The Scorpions

Fit 5/5
Quote:Because going back to work again after so long is like the wind of change. Not to mention the fact that your boss is making you start back to work during storm Dudley!

New 0/5 Afraid not Tongue

Song 5/10 It might be overexposure at this point, but I'm afraid this song doesn't do anything for me at all. Well, I quite like the guitar solo, but otherwise it doesn't grab me. Sorry

Butty scores 10pts

Damn, got all my youtube links wrong...

Into the top ten Tongue

Mad World by Tears For Fears

Fit 5/5 It sure feels like it this morning!

New 0/5 I think you knew that was coming!

Song 6/10 I mean it's a classic, isn't it? I do like it. Its score gets dragged down by the fact I much prefer the Gary Jules cover though!

cee_jay scores 11pts, coming in tenth place

Next up, Farewell to the Fairground by White Lies

Fit 5/5 "keep on running, there's no place like home" is a little depressing today Tongue

New 0/5 sorry! Random story, I got this album before my second skiing trip. One day I went off the side of the piste and fell badly, gave myself a real scare. Couldn't ski again that day so I went back to the lodge, sat in the bath shaking with a bottle of whisky and this album playing. As crazy as it sounds, I love that memory!

Song 7/10 I do really like it, but it suffers a bit from me knowing the album well and preferring other songs on it. Cracking album though, so that's still a compliment

Irish Aris gets 12pts, placing them ninth

Coming Home, Part II by Skylar Grey

Fit 5/5
Quote:"Home", in this case, not just referring to where you live, but metaphorically referring to the place you're supposed to be; the place that feels normal to you. I particularly like the line "let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday", which I think is very appropriate for the last two years

New 2/5 as you said, this is better known from the version by Diddy/Dirty Money. I see Skylar had a writing and singing credit on that. Anyway, kind of knew her name but wouldn't have placed her, so she's new to me

Song 6/10 This one was dropping on repeated listens. It is nice, and it's a good version of those song, but in the end it slightly passes me by.
Scratch that, I've kind of had it stuck in my head today, so I'll bump it up. Though that may just be familiarity!

aaron scores 13pts, coming eighth

That's Life by David Lee Roth

Fit 5/5 Yep, I guess this is life Tongue

New 2/5 Don't think I know this version...?

Song 6.5/10 Well, I'll go out on a limb here and say that's better than the Sinatra version. It's big, it's brash, there's brass. Yeah, it's a good take on an old classic

Deja scores 13.5pts, and comes in seventh place

At the halfway point, we have Set Adrift on Memory Drift by PM Dawn

Fit 5/5 even though I'm not quite sure where you're coming from Tongue

New 1/5 I didn't recognise the name, but obviously I know it when it hits

Song 8/10 There's not much arguing with this, good old school tune, very nice listen Smile

Kol scores 14pts, and finishes sixth

Into the top five, with Make It Out Alive by Years and Years

Fit 5/5 Yes we did Tongue

New 4/5 I know the name, but I'm not sure I've ever listened to them

Song 6/10 OK, out of the gate I know this isn't really my genre. But you know what, the chorus hits and it's pretty good. There's not a lot of variety but then it doesn't overstay its welcome. In the end it's a decent song, just not really for me

ari scores 15pts, coming in fifth

Here's where I started to get second thoughts about giving everyone 5pts for the fit!

Cardiac Arrest by Madness

Fit 6/5 bonus point for the lyrics! Including "Walking to the bus stop, He's longing for his bed, Waiting with his neighbours, In the rush hour queue"

New 3/5 Obviously I know Madness, but don't know this song

Song 7/10 Well done for the pick, the lyrics are spot on this morning! Overall it's a little Madness-by-numbers but who doesn't like Madness?

osh scores 16pts, earning fourth place

Into the podium places, and it's a joint second...

Back From The Dead by Halestorm

Fit 5/5
Quote:The lyrics and vibe of the song has a re-birth, entering a new dawn after a couple of shitty years feel to it. I also had covid just a few weeks ago and in a couple of weeks time I'm going to see Halestorm at the Olympia, so it also feels apt for those reasons too.

New 5/5 I thought I knew the name but had them down as a Scandi metal band, so I obviously don't actually know them

Song 8/10 No, not Scandi, this is full on, hair up, is it still the 80s rock at the start. This is what I need to wake me up in the morning. The lyrics are a bit ridiculous, but I kinda like that. Overall it's a lot of fun, I like it!

Soapy and Spears score a very healthy 17 points

Which means our winner is...

Artificial by Martha Tilston

Fit 6/5 I almost went back and docked everyone else points due to this song!

New 5/5 Never heard of her

Song 10/10 the opening guitar picks are nice, I'm optimistic... ah yeah, her voice is great. Nice depressing lyrics for the day that's in it! Just when it needs a bit more, more arrives, is that little violin bursts? Then it goes just slightly crazy to finish. You've pulled this one out of the bag, brilliant tune, clear winner

Wichi gets a slightly ridiculous, but completely deserved 21/20

Edit: I wrote that this morning and I'm slightly less effusive this evening, but I still really like it so I'm sticking with the score Tongue

Congrats to Wichi!

But thanks all, that was fun Big Grin

Now, I left early and got an express bus. I've not been paying attention, where am I...?

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - DejaBoo - 17-02-2022

Thanks fro running this EN,
...was fun to listen to all the great song choices too!

Wow wichi, very touching song, well done!

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Kol - 17-02-2022

Congrats @Wichita Lineman and thanks for the game @E.N.

Will have a listen to some of these tomorrow. Hope you made it home okay!

(17-02-2022, 07:30 PM)Kol Wrote: Hope you made it home okay!
Not quite, but nearly Smile

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - RSOAPS - 17-02-2022

(17-02-2022, 07:17 PM)E.N. Wrote: Into the podium places, and it's a joint second...

Back From The Dead by Halestorm

Fit 5/5
Quote:The lyrics and vibe of the song has a re-birth, entering a new dawn after a couple of shitty years feel to it. I also had covid just a few weeks ago and in a couple of weeks time I'm going to see Halestorm at the Olympia, so it also feels apt for those reasons too.

New 5/5 I thought I knew the name but had them down as a Scandi metal band, so I obviously don't actually know them

Song 8/10 No, not Scandi, this is full on, hair up, is it still the 80s rock at the start. This is what I need to wake me up in the morning. The lyrics are a bit ridiculous, but I kinda like that. Overall it's a lot of fun, I like it!

Soapy and Spears score a very healthy 17 points

I did for a moment think when I was submitting this one... "wouldn't surprise me at all if Spears also went for this one" as I know she enjoys a bit of Halestorm... And then when you mentioned there was a duplicate song E.N., I would've put down money on it being this song and @Spears being the other submitter... pac 

Didn't think it'd pull a 5/5 on newness, so very happy with joined 2nd...

And can't wait to see them live on the 4th of March!

Fair play on the quick turnaround reveal @E.N., and congrats @Wichita Lineman on the win.

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - cee_jay - 17-02-2022

(17-02-2022, 07:01 PM)E.N. Wrote: Into the top ten Tongue

Mad World by Tears For Fears

Fit 5/5 It sure feels like it this morning!

New 0/5 I think you knew that was coming!

Song 6/10 I mean it's a classic, isn't it? I do like it. Its score gets dragged down by the fact I much prefer the Gary Jules cover though!

cee_jay scores 11pts, coming in tenth place
Gary Jules cover is better??? BLASPHEMY!! Tongue

(17-02-2022, 07:52 PM)cee_jay Wrote: Gary Jules cover is better??? BLASPHEMY!! Tongue
Had a feeling you might say that Big Grin

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - ari101 - 17-02-2022

@Kol thanks for that nostalgic choice, really enjoyed that.

Glad you enjoyed all the songs and very happy with my 5th place.

Congrats to everyone for coming up with good choices, even if they wouldn't be my cuppa tea!

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Spears - 17-02-2022

awh look at us @Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick bagging second place together! Woohoo Well done to us  Heart
Chuffed with that because I wasn't sure if the song would be to E.N's taste and I was too tired to even give a reason for my submission.
Song is only 5months out so I would'nt expect anything less than full marks for newness  

[Image: giphy.gif]

Sorry I missed the reveal @E.N. but looks like theres some good submission there. I'll have a proper listen tomorow evenimg. 
But on a quick flick, I'd say @Irish Aris and @osh's submission were good choices based on what I would have thought was your own style of music. 

Thanks for running @E.N. Was a great idea to play a quick game for your journey today Shy

Congrats on bagging the top spot too @Wichita Lineman  Shy

(17-02-2022, 09:45 PM)Spears Wrote: But on a quick flick, I'd say @Irish Aris and @osh's submission were good choices based on what I would have thought was your own style of music
Yeah, if I'm honest the scoring system is too weighted to new music because that got scored from 0-5 whereas realistically the song is only marked from about 4-10 because I don't like slating anyone's pick. That counted against both of them, maybe slightly unfairly

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Spears - 17-02-2022

(17-02-2022, 09:52 PM)E.N. Wrote: Yeah, if I'm honest the scoring system is too weighted to be music because they get scored from 0-5 whereas realistically the song is only marked from about 4-10 herbage I don't like slating anyone's pick. That counted against both of them, maybe slightly unfairly
Ah don't worry about the scoring, I doubt either of them will mind themselves. It's just a game and a bit of fun Shy

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - aaronjennings - 17-02-2022

Thanks for the game EN, hopefully it made your journey to and from work a little more enjoyable Big Grin

Congratulations on the win, Wichita Smile

I'll have to set some time aside later on to listen to all the entries

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - ari101 - 17-02-2022

I thought the New Music score was a great incentive to get people to enter what might be new music to you. Maybe it skews the scoring but if the aim was to help discover some new stuff it probably worked quite well?

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - ShaneU - 17-02-2022

The first Walrus in forever and I miss it, typical

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - osh - 17-02-2022

(17-02-2022, 11:05 PM)ShaneU Wrote: The first Walrus in forever and I miss it, typical

Whatya mean? Sure there's about 8 on the go

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Wichita Lineman - 17-02-2022

@E.N. great idea to run this quickie and I'm delighted with the win. 

As soon as I read the criteria I knew the song I had to use. Didnt even have to think about it. As a long suffering commuter for many many years this song just calls out to me. The music is great too. 

Martha thanks you too  Big Grin

[Image: 3481734.jpg?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen]

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - osh - 17-02-2022

Glad the song was knew to you EN, wasn't expecting that.

Well done Wichita, gonna give some listens now.

(17-02-2022, 11:21 PM)Wichita Lineman Wrote: Martha thanks you too  Big Grin
I listened to a few more of hers afterwards and found "Songs That Make Sophie Fizz"

Our daughter is called Sophie, and at 3½ is just getting into music, so that was a really cool song. It also mentions going back to Bristol which is where I used to live, and where me and my wife met Smile

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Butty Brennan - 18-02-2022

Last place! What a swizz Dodgy Tongue 
You know there is a theory that Wind of Change was written by the CIA and passed on to the Scorpions to try to make young Soviet rock fans revolt and end the cold war.
There is a podcast all about it that I've been meaning to listen to for ages.
And well done Wichita I will listen to them all later. Happy commuting EN. Smile

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - E.N. - 18-02-2022

(18-02-2022, 02:32 PM)Butty Brennan Wrote: Last place! What a swizz Dodgy Tongue 
Ah, sorry Butty!
Someone has to fill that slot and I'm afraid that song falls in the bad bit of the venn diagram of songs I know but don't particularly like. Not that I dislike it, it just doesn't do anything for me

Imagine how much quicker the cold war could have ended if they'd picked a good song Tongue

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - Butty Brennan - 18-02-2022

(18-02-2022, 02:47 PM)E.N. Wrote: Imagine how much quicker the cold war could have ended if they'd picked a good song Tongue
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2Fimage...f=1&nofb=1]
Tongue

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - osh - 18-02-2022

That reminds me of this gem

RE: The back to normal, lightning walrus reveal - jp liz v1 - 18-02-2022

Well Done @Wichita Lineman good walrus @E.N.