A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! (/showthread.php?tid=210)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 24-11-2021

[Image: cgOfqtL.png]

[Image: giphy.gif]

On Monday 29th November, Round One will be Revealed.

17 of you have arrived, but only one will emerge triumphant.

Barna77
cdeb
cee_jay
Declan A Walsh
E.N.
Hello 2D Person Below
Irish Aris
JP Liz V1
Kol
Necro
osh
Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick
Sawduck
ShaneU
Tauriel
the purple tin
Zaph

Prepare for Judgement Day!

[Image: squid-game-netflix.gif]

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - jp liz v1 - 25-11-2021

[Image: th?id=OIP.pLR3jx_qEn_zNDpfp8COfQHaDR&pid...=381&h=169]

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 29-11-2021

So I've spent the evening listening to the short songs (it's not taking too long, in fairness!) and am still on course for the Reveal tomorrow. 

I'll give you one quick spoiler -
SpoilerShow Content

However, one little problem - due to a series of PM deletions by the massive feck up on boards, I have a couple of songs that I can't match to users. @Barna77 and
@Cdeb, I'm afraid your original PM's were deleted so I may have to get in touch with you to confirm what your choices were.

Also the song choices for the final round seem to have got mixed up so I may also need to get in touch with @jp liz v1, @E.N. and @Tauriel for that round. 

I don't expect ye to remember everything ye submitted, so I'll either PM you the unassigned songs I have left. Or alternatively I'll score the unknown ones with a ??? next to them and whoever submitted can claim them on thread, to make sure the scores get added correctly at the end.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - E.N. - 29-11-2021

Still had my list saved in my notes so sent it over again. It's the one where every song is Nordic, because I like overcomplicating things for myself Tongue

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Barna77 - 29-11-2021

I don't have a clue what I sent apart from one or two, I deleted the list a few weeks ago thinking this would never happen Tongue
I'll be very surprised too

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Homer J. Fong - 29-11-2021

No worries @Barna77 , I'll fire you over a pm and hopefully it'll jog your memory.

And cheers @E.N., have all your choices marked now.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - jp liz v1 - 29-11-2021

Did I pm you here or on boards.ie?

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - osh - 29-11-2021

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Cdeb - 29-11-2021

(29-11-2021, 01:09 AM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: @Cdeb, I'm afraid your original PM's were deleted so I may have to get in touch with you to confirm what your choices were.
Ah no - my first walrus and first Boards goes tits up, and then this!

I think you'd said on boards that mine was one of the few PMs that survived?   I've checked and I don't see it in my messages there anyway.

Edit - this is what you said on Boards at the time. So has it gotten deleted since? Looking at the original post, I might remember my walrus nominations, but wouldn't have a notion about the HEEPS side of things.

Quote:Electric Nitwit, mustang shelly, Barna77, cdeb and Necro - you're the chosen five whose entries have been preserved by the changeover, for whatever reason. Well done!

(29-11-2021, 08:12 PM)Cdeb Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 01:09 AM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: @Cdeb, I'm afraid your original PM's were deleted so I may have to get in touch with you to confirm what your choices were.
Ah no - my first walrus and first Boards goes tits up, and then this!

I think you'd said on boards that mine was one of the few PMs that survived?   I've checked and I don't see it in my messages there anyway.

Edit - this is what you said on Boards at the time.  So has it gotten deleted since?  Looking at the original post, I might remember my walrus nominations, but wouldn't have a notion about the HEEPS side of things.

Quote:Electric Nitwit, mustang shelly, Barna77, cdeb and Necro - you're the chosen five whose entries have been preserved by the changeover, for whatever reason. Well done!

Hi cdeb,

Originally your PM along with those others listed above did survive the initial changeover...but then there was some drama in the Feedback forum and boards solution was to do a wipe out of more PM's, which then resulted in the loss of the above! Luckily I had the HEEPS answers stored safely in the Sheepulator so wasn't missing any of that data.

Your PM is a big help in putting the missing pieces together, so thank you for that.  Smile

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Cdeb - 29-11-2021

Great stuff so - so between the two of us, I'm back on course to make a right hames of it. Looking forward to it Smile

Ok, we'll be ready to go in twenty minutes or so. Just finishing off final listening notes and rankings.

Will start with #14 to #4, and then the top and bottom three. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - E.N. - 29-11-2021

Given how often my picks get slated in other walrii, only for you to come along and say "that would have done really well for me" I predict I'm going to do badly and not understand why Tongue

Okay let's get started with Round One - Short and Sweet

In 14th place with 4 points:

The Boomtown Rats - She's So Modern

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes

Have I listened to the song before? No

Comments:
Ah Sir Bob, he talks a lot of shíte but you kinda have to admire his lack of fúcks given. Musically this is...grand. Kinda punk mixed with new wave. He’s not the greatest singer in the world, but I guess that doesn’t really matter for this kind of music. I can appreciate it’s good for what it is, but not really my cup of tea. I do like the unhinged yelping at the very start though.

So what you're saying is - I'm in the lead!

Let's end it now! Big Grin

You know, it was an awful lot of work to sit on this Walrus for four months....maybe I'll just call it a day now and declare you the winner?

In 13th place with 5 points:

Ronnie & the Haydocks - Thriller I Kill Her

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? No

Have I listened to the song before? No

Comments:
Nice toe-tapping rock n roll number. Not much to say about it really, didn’t blow me away but it was an enjoyable listen. Particularly like the bass.

Incidentally I couldn't find this on Spotify, and it only has around 15k views after 12 years on Youtube, so if I was handing out points for the most niche submission then this would have been our winner!

In 12th place with 6 points:

Sigrid - High Five

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes, but just one song

Comments:
The only song by Sigrid I knew was “Sucker Punch”; it’s grand but didn’t make me curious enough to investigate her more. I usually enjoy a bit of polished Scandinavian electropop but this one didn’t really land with me on first listen. I’m not a fan of her voice when it goes too high-pitched here. It has grown on me more after a few listens but not quite enough to lift it higher in this round, unfortunately.

In 11th place with 7 points:

Sigrid - Mirror

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes, about two minutes ago! 

Comments:
Of the two Sigrid numbers I prefer this one for two reasons; her voice is more palatable here (less of the painful high notes) and the lyrics, which are quite nice and life-affirming. This is a nice slice of Scandi-pop, quite Eurovisionny (and that’s not an insult!) I gather Sigrid is quite young so will keep an eye/ear out for what she does in future.

(Also just worth noting that the video for this song is 4 minutes for some reason but the actual track itself is well under the 3 minute mark)

In 10th place with 8 points:

Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames - Yeh Yeh

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? No, but...

Have I listened to the song before? ....somehow Yes?

Comments:
This was probably the most difficult song to rank because I kept changing my mind as to whether I find it enjoyable or irritating. In reality, it’s a bit of both; it’s quite an annoying earworm, one of those songs you don’t necessarily want stuck in your head but you’ll be humming it anyway. The saxophone is the MVP here.

In 9th place with 9 points:

Luke Kelly - Kelly The Boy From Killane

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Comments:
Irish folk and trad music is something I need to be in the mood for. If I’m in a smokey pub with a fireside and old men nursing their pints, it’s perfect. But I rarely listen to it of my own choosing, as I find a lot of it just kinda sounds the same. Here it stood out a bit more among the other submissions, and that was to its advantage. Can’t deny the power of Luke Kelly’s voice; you don’t get a giant head statue for nothing, you know! Have to admire the quality of the musical accompaniment too.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - osh - 29-11-2021

That Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames melody seems really familiar but I can't place it

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - Irish Aris - 29-11-2021

(29-11-2021, 11:03 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 10th place with 8 points:

Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames - Yeh Yeh

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? No, but...

Have I listened to the song before? ....somehow Yes?

Comments:
This was probably the most difficult song to rank because I kept changing my mind as to whether I find it enjoyable or irritating. In reality, it’s a bit of both; it’s quite an annoying earworm, one of those songs you don’t necessarily want stuck in your head but you’ll be humming it anyway. The saxophone is the MVP here.
Ah, I know this from a cover that Matt Bianco did in the 80's - never knew that it was a cover though. Nice, and very summery

In 8th place with 10 points:

One Republic - Wherever I Go

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Comments:
Not gonna lie, I had low expectations for this one; I’ve heard a few One Republic songs and didn’t really care for them. But on repeated listens this really started growing on me and creeping its way up the scoreboard. Definitely a well crafted song, was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this one.

In 7th place with 11 points:

The Coasters - Yakety Yak

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Comments:
This was fun! Very short (< 2 minutes) so can’t say a whole lot other than I enjoyed it. Funnily enough it reminds me of a club I used to go to with friends when I was studying in Nottingham, they often played this “vintage” kind of music (rock and roll and blues from the 60’s) mixed with some more modern stuff. Good memories of that place, though I feel old thinking of how long ago it was.

In 6th place with 12 points:

The Sugarcubes - Motorcrash

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the artist before? Yes

Have I listened to the song before? Yes

Comments:

I’m a huge fan of Björk, and listening to her solo stuff led me to discovering the Sugarcubes. They have some great songs but it’s hard to listen to them when there’s too much of Einar Örn’s psychobabbling...thankfully it’s kept to the background here. This is a pleasant breezy tune with nonsensical and slightly disturbing lyrics, which is pretty much what I associate with The Sugarcubes. Good choice.

In 5th place with 13 points:

The Wannadies - You & Me Song

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the song before? Yes (do they have another song?! Tongue

Comments:

Ah CHOON! I actually haven’t heard this for quite a while, surprisingly. I imagine it’s the kind of song you would easily get sick of if you heard it constantly, but fortunately it’s not the case here. Instead this is a very welcome blast from the past. Nice choice.

In 4th place with 14 points:

Nick Drake - Place To Be

Submitted by
SpoilerShow Content

Comments:

I actually first discovered Nick Drake through Walrus, when our submitter entered Northern Sky in (somebody else's) Walrus. I instantly fell in love with that song, with the beautiful melody, haunting imagery and his honey-like voice. I’ve listened to more by him since and very much enjoy his work, although nothing else quite hits the highs of Northern Sky for me. This one is another lovely piece, not exactly catchy or singalong but makes for wonderful mood music. It’s a shame to think of how young he died and how much more he could have done had fate been kinder.  Sad

sidenote: apologies for the stupid amount of blank space in the spoiler boxes, only realised that was happening now! I wasn't intentionally making ye all keep scrolling down to see someone's two letter name!! 

And so we come to our top and bottom three.

They are:

SpoilerShow Content

Who ends up where? All shall soon be revealed...but more wine first! (Yes it's a Monday but I'm on annual leave from tomorrow so I'm allowed; was supposed to be going on a trip to Germany but decided to cancel it due to the escalation in Covid situation over past week.  Undecided )

Alrighty, let's goooo.......

In 15th place with 3 points:

Blur - Song 2

Submitted by:
SpoilerShow Content

Have I listened to the song before? Yes

Comments:
As soon as I set the category I knew somebody would choose this song. Unfortunately I think overfamiliarity has killed my enthusiasm for it. Blur are quite hit and miss for me and I generally prefer their slower, broodier songs; I find Albarn’s voice rather grating on the upbeat stuff. Not gonna say this is a bad song by any means or that it wasn’t massive and influential, I think the problem is just that I’ve just heard it enough times in my life to not need to hear it again.

If anything Monday calls for it to ease into the week, enjoying some beers myself  Big Grin

Shit one about the holiday though

Didn't think you knew that one, but while no Northern Sky it's up there in my favorites of his for the lyrics and the simple fragility it conveys.

Also never knew the "you and me  song was from Sweden, always presumed it was by an english group...

(29-11-2021, 11:30 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 5th place with 13 points:

Happy with that as I slightly struggled with short songs. Then, in the following weeks, noticed loads as I was listening to them, turns out I just don't know how long songs are Tongue

(29-11-2021, 11:48 PM)osh Wrote: If anything Monday calls for it to ease into the week, enjoying some beers myself  Big Grin

Shit one about the holiday though

Didn't think you knew that one, but while no Northern Sky it's up there in my favorites of his for the lyrics and the simple fragility it conveys.

Also never knew the "you and me  song was from Sweden, always presumed it was by an english group...
I didn't actually know that one, edited my post afterwards. The "Yes" was leftover from the previous post's copy-paste (I'll blame the wine >_>)

(29-11-2021, 11:49 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 11:30 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 5th place with 13 points:

Happy with that as I slightly struggled with short songs. Then, in the following weeks, noticed loads as I was listening to them, turns out I just don't know how long songs are Tongue
Ah, you've just reminded me that I completely forgot to do the thing where I say what I might have chosen for the category! Oh well, I'll do it after.....once I think of some.

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - ShaneU - 29-11-2021

(29-11-2021, 11:13 PM)osh Wrote: That Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames melody seems really familiar but I can't place it

It's a cover of this

(29-11-2021, 11:39 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: ...was supposed to be going on a trip to Germany but decided to cancel it due to the escalation in Covid situation over past week.  Undecided
That's crap Sad
Probably sensible, but very annoying.
I went to Liverpool last weekend and I'm delighted now I got away, it could be more awkward for a while. Hopefully not, but it could be

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - ShaneU - 29-11-2021

You've never heard Yakety Yak? pac

In 3rd place with 15 points:

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

Submitted by:
SpoilerShow Content

Comments:
Punk isn’t my favourite genre but it was inevitable that it would make some appearances here, given its renown for short songs. And of the punk numbers that made it here, this was my favourite. Not just lyrically (having visited Derry recently for the first time, and visited the Free Derry museum, the lyrics about the Army and the RUC definitely resonate) but musically too. Really enjoyed this, a very good entry.

(29-11-2021, 11:55 PM)ShaneU Wrote: You've never heard Yakety Yak? pac
I thought I had but it didn't sound familiar when I listened to it....

....then I realised I was actually thinking of Yakety SaxBig Grin

RE: REVEAL - Homer J. Fong's "Difficult Second Walrus"...now with added HEEPS! - E.N. - 30-11-2021

(29-11-2021, 11:55 PM)Homer J. Fong Wrote: In 3rd place with 15 points:

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster
Good tune. I do know it, but would never have known who it was by or what it was called, which means I really must listen to the lyrics more Confused