A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
The Rant Thread - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Rant Thread (/showthread.php?tid=188)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: The Rant Thread - Declan A Walsh - 01-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 12:54 AM)jp liz v1 Wrote:
(29-02-2024, 10:42 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: I assume you are talking about these new "re-turn" machines. Firstly, it worked for me. Admittedly a member of staff was standing beside me explaining how to put the bottles in. Secondly, I do not see how the Government gets extra money out of this (I could be wrong of course!).

Yes those re-turn machines, I assume the government keeps the extra deposit costs from non returns, was these machines an idea of The Green Party?

I know a few who are not returning any bottles or cans just using their home recycling bins

If you do not return your bottles and cans, you will not get your deposit back, which does not seem like a great idea. The other aspect is that you do not have to worry about recycling it if you return it. Kind of a carrot and stick approach.

RE: The Rant Thread - 3d4life - 01-03-2024

"If you do not return your bottles and cans,...."

Those would be plastic bottles ? ( excl same used for milk products ? )

Not glass bottles ?

What about cans ?  is it all types of can or just al. cans ?

And 'Jam Jar' type yokes made from glass....not them either ?

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 02-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 10:15 PM)3d4life Wrote: "If you do not return your bottles and cans,...."

Those would be plastic bottles ? ( excl same used for milk products ? )

Not glass bottles ?

What about cans ?  is it all types of can or just al. cans ?

And 'Jam Jar' type yokes made from glass....not them either ?

Only plastic bottles and cans, no glass bottles or jam jars

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 02-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 01:14 AM)nothing Wrote: Afaik any excess money from deposits will be used in the running of the whole scheme

I thought the government 

I feel not enough has been done with this scheme as in thought out correctly, what if machines will not accept and the store cannot help, you have to take back home also home delivery shopping AFAIK do not take back empties or what about wheelchair users not at a height for them to use

RE: The Rant Thread - 3d4life - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 12:32 AM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Only plastic bottles and cans, no glass bottles or jam jars
Do you know is that all types of can or limited to, for example, cans made of Al. ?

RE: The Rant Thread - Neowise - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 03:15 PM)3d4life Wrote:
(02-03-2024, 12:32 AM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Only plastic bottles and cans, no glass bottles or jam jars
Do you know is that all types of can or limited to, for example, cans made of Al. ?

Drinks bottles and cans.

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 02-03-2024

Things are bad when the rant thread is busier than the chat thread Big Grin

RE: The Rant Thread - Declan A Walsh - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 11:00 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Things are bad when the rant thread is busier than the chat thread Big Grin

Welcome back @Diamonds of Frost ! Check out the shoutbox feature

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 11:08 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote:
(02-03-2024, 11:00 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Things are bad when the rant thread is busier than the chat thread Big Grin

Welcome back @Diamonds of Frost ! Check out the shoutbox feature

Hi Declan!  Big Grin

RE: The Rant Thread - Leg End Reject - 03-03-2024

@jp liz v1, I had to put some cans through 3 times before they registered. I'm going to avoid buying return items as much as possible, I've always recycled and just couldn't be arsed with nonsense long-term.

RE: The Rant Thread - nothing - 03-03-2024

@3d4life I think because we already have glass recycling at bottle banks, that might be why the focus is on plastics

RE: The Rant Thread - Necro - 04-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 11:00 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Things are bad when the rant thread is busier than the chat thread Big Grin

Only cos Liz is in full rant mode about being environmentally friendly Tongue

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 04-03-2024

(04-03-2024, 12:06 PM)Necro Wrote:
(02-03-2024, 11:00 PM)Diamonds of Frost Wrote: Things are bad when the rant thread is busier than the chat thread Big Grin

Hi Necro  Smile How have you been keeping?

RE: The Rant Thread - Declan A Walsh - 04-03-2024

Isn't it annoying when people are *pleasant on a thread dedicated to a rant? I want my money back!

* @Diamonds of Frost - the Forum Games on Boards.ie has been reinvigorated recently - see shout box.

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 04-03-2024

(04-03-2024, 12:06 PM)Necro Wrote:

[Image: tumblr_n3qxheYjmn1r1uj3fo1_500.gif]

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 06-03-2024

(04-03-2024, 10:36 PM)Declan A Walsh Wrote: Isn't it annoying when people are *pleasant on a thread dedicated to a rant?  I want my money back!

* @Diamonds of Frost - the Forum Games on Boards.ie has been reinvigorated recently - see shout box.

I don't like rants   Big Grin

I close my Boards account ages ago but will take a look.

RE: The Rant Thread - NNAHere - 06-04-2024

So- my first attempt at using the "be good to the planet and recycle" machines. I had kept forgetting to return the empties but this time I had taken them with me on my Lidl shop for the upcoming week. A grand total of 3 bottles worth 75 cents. Still, every little helps, all good and worthy etc.

First issue- both machines were out of action when I was entering the store. OK, kind of annoying but I can do it another time, I guess. Did the shopping and on the way out both machines are now available. A decision to make- do I make the return now, get the voucher and use it another day or do I wait until the next week's shopping trip to make the return and get to use the 75 cents at that time. Ah, hell, do it now and I'll have the voucher for the next time anyhow. So, three bottles successfully returned, 75 cent voucher printed out. All good. I placed it in one of the bags of shopping in the trolley (a fatal error…."Now read on", in the words of the late Con Houlihan).

While wheeling the trolley to the car, Storm Kathleen (very mild here in Tralee but I know other places have been hard hit) spots her opportunity. Whoooosh…and my 75 cent voucher exits the bag and heads towards the far side of the road. Gone. So, in my zeal to save the planet, I have actually added to its litter problem.

My only straw clutching thought is that maybe this incident will trigger an "Amelie moment" [a-la the Audrey Tautou film] and some soul will find the voucher which allows him/her to buy that thing they need for a special person who in turn does something good and that leads to…you get the idea. Still, damn and blast it anyway.