A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
The Rant Thread - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: The Crooked Barstool (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Chats (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Rant Thread (/showthread.php?tid=188)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: The Rant Thread - dawg - 24-05-2022

(24-05-2022, 11:01 AM)Trigger Wrote: .....

Not sleeping at all lately, no idea why! Getting about an hour and then waking up and not being able to get back asleep at all, drifting in and out for probably 10 mins at at a time but just cannot get a decent night, going on now about a week and I'm totally drained mentally and physically..

I had something like this going on for well over a year.
No problem at all getting to sleep ?  ( in fact dog tired )
Wake up after an hour+  & not get back to sleep 'till its time to f***ing well wake up ?

( The hour+ may represent the first part of a sleep cycle )

In my case it turned out to be due to inflammation caused by an autoimmune disease. An old and very experience rheumatologist recognized it within 5 minutes of talking AND he knew exactly how to fix it Smile  .   ( a month+ of a very strong antiinflammatory )

I wonder what the answer is in your case, Trigger ?

If you are getting to sleep initially with no bother then emphasie this to any medic type people that you may ask  ...  its a strong indicator that sleepers may not be the solution.

RE: The Rant Thread - Trigger - 24-05-2022

I'm going to presume it's stress, banks are a nightmare with replying and getting shit done, contracts for new house being sent to solicitor this week so trying to get everything in order for loan offer, but you know what banks are like. 

Add that on top of the neverending work issues, I'd say that's what it is.

Will keep that in mind though @dawg , that is really good to know

RE: The Rant Thread - Necro - 24-05-2022

You need a good six weeks shorter working year leave Trigs 😂😂

RE: The Rant Thread - Diamonds of Frost - 24-05-2022

(24-05-2022, 01:14 PM)Trigger Wrote: I'm going to presume it's stress, banks are a nightmare with replying and getting shit done, contracts for new house being sent to solicitor this week so trying to get everything in order for loan offer, but you know what banks are like. 

Add that on top of the neverending work issues, I'd say that's what it is.

Will keep that in mind though @dawg , that is really good to know
Ah it's no wonder your sleep is being affected Trigger. It's one of the first things that can change when all is not as it should be. I'd leave sleeping tablets as a last resort. Funny auld things. Would you try soft music? There's loads on YouTube especially for sleep. I sometimes need to do breathing exercises to help me at night.

I woke up a few weeks ago with racing heart and Neo found me passed out on the stairs so off to hospital I went. Everything normal so I can diagnose myself with panic attacks. The mind can be extra strange at night.

RE: The Rant Thread - Trigger - 24-05-2022

(24-05-2022, 01:44 PM)Necro Wrote: You need a good six weeks shorter working year leave Trigs 😂😂

I really do! Unfortunately I can't because of the stuff that's stressing me out pac

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 25-05-2022

Citywest just cancelled hotel booking for Tony Hawk, not sure if moved to another venue, unhappy niece and nephew, hoping at least for full refund

RE: The Rant Thread - Trigger - 25-05-2022

(25-05-2022, 04:37 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote: Citywest just cancelled hotel booking for Tony Hawk, not sure if moved to another venue, unhappy niece and nephew, hoping at least for full refund

Citywest are cancelling everything as they are being turned into a centre for the Ukrainians, we had tickets there for the Lego Brick show in August this year, they had cancelled it but thankfully the show had a plan in place and moved to UCD (I think)

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 25-05-2022

Ticketmaster and MCD giving no info and contacting a nightmare

RE: The Rant Thread - nothing - 26-05-2022

FFS body! Managed to get to bed early last night, now I'm wide awake at 4.30am. 🤬

RE: The Rant Thread - ShaneU - 26-05-2022

Fcucking Fastway drivers not even letting the doorbell finish ringing before getting back in their van and pissing off! grrrrr!

RE: The Rant Thread - Necro - 26-05-2022

(26-05-2022, 10:55 AM)ShaneU Wrote: Fcucking Fastway drivers not even letting the doorbell finish ringing before getting back in their van and pissing off! grrrrr!

Yeah I came down to a parcel just tossed on the mat outside the door this morning

(26-05-2022, 11:33 AM)Necro Wrote:
(26-05-2022, 10:55 AM)ShaneU Wrote: Fcucking Fastway drivers not even letting the doorbell finish ringing before getting back in their van and pissing off! grrrrr!

Yeah I came down to a parcel just tossed on the mat outside the door this morning

At least you got your parcel!

RE: The Rant Thread - Neowise - 26-05-2022

(26-05-2022, 11:34 AM)ShaneU Wrote:
(26-05-2022, 11:33 AM)Necro Wrote: Yeah I came down to a parcel just tossed on the mat outside the door this morning

At least you got your parcel!

Check in your garden, under bushes, over side gates, and even in your bins.

(26-05-2022, 12:12 PM)Neowise Wrote:
(26-05-2022, 11:34 AM)ShaneU Wrote: At least you got your parcel!

Check in your garden, under bushes, over side gates, and even in your bins.

Tracking said it was delivered and signed for contactlessly. What a joke of a company. Onto their 'support' now which is a whatsapp group!

RE: The Rant Thread - DejaBoo - 26-05-2022

Technology, I don't get all the specifics - gb's, wpu, agp, vga, ict, bios, ram. it. up. yer... I digress, sorry...
It's like ordering nerd coffee, the fook is a half-caf--vente-machiato-cafe-no foam-caramel-grande-cappuccino-mocha-latte-frappe.... It's coffee, I want coffee.
But nooooo, they look at you like you're nuts! I just need a solid, affordable laptop I can print with (chromebooks don't do this), that doesn't seize the eff up when I listen to a walrus vid (chromebooks do this) and that doesn't come with a set expiration date within the year (another chromebook speciality) - - - coffee, black, straight up, simples.

I went into a coffee shop in Italy and asked for a latte and the guy gave me a little cup of milk.

RE: The Rant Thread - Kol - 26-05-2022

(26-05-2022, 06:04 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: Technology, I don't get all the specifics - gb's, wpu, agp, vga, ict, bios, ram. it. up. yer... I digress, sorry...
It's like ordering nerd coffee, the fook is  a half-caf--vente-machiato-cafe-no foam-caramel-grande-cappuccino-mocha-latte-frappe.... It's coffee, I want coffee.
But nooooo, they look at you like you're nuts! I just need a solid, affordable laptop I can print with (chromebooks don't do this), that doesn't seize the eff up  when I listen to a walrus vid (chromebooks do this) and that doesn't come with a set expiration date within the year (another chromebook speciality) - - - coffee, black, straight up, simples.

Simple solution @DejaBoo is to buy a Windows laptop and stay away from chromebooks. A basic laptop will do all the above for you but the more you spend the better you will get in general. I haven't bought one in years as I just use my work one but I'd guess 600e would be a pretty decent budget.

(26-05-2022, 06:19 PM)Kol Wrote: Simple solution @DejaBoo is to buy a Windows laptop and stay away from chromebooks. A basic laptop will do all the above for you but the more you spend the better you will get in general. I haven't bought one in years as I just use my work one but I'd guess 600e would be a pretty decent budget.
Thanks Kol, I've had to buy 2 chromebooks in 5 years time, each around 300, both with pre-set "expiration" dates within  2 years time. They may seem like a bargain, but they really aren't, at (what works out to be) 100+ a year.

RE: The Rant Thread - Leg End Reject - 26-05-2022

There's lots of techy people here @DejaBoo.

Maybe @Neowise, @Trigger, @Necro or @Sephiroth_Dude could read your post above and recommend a laptop for you?

RE: The Rant Thread - jp liz v1 - 26-05-2022

(26-05-2022, 06:44 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: There's lots of techy people here @DejaBoo.

Maybe @Neowise, @Trigger, @Necro or @Sephiroth_Dude could read your post above and recommend a laptop for you?

I have a Toshiba 

@Lord TSC  @Bounty hunter  @Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick might also have suggestions plus  @ShaneU  @E.N.  @Loughc  @nothing

RE: The Rant Thread - nothing - 26-05-2022

(26-05-2022, 07:42 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:
(26-05-2022, 06:44 PM)Leg End Reject Wrote: There's lots of techy people here @DejaBoo.

I have a Toshiba 

@Lord TSC  @Bounty hunter  @Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick might also have suggestions plus  @ShaneU  @E.N.  @Loughc  @nothing

College lent me a Toshiba for the course, it was a lovely laptop

RE: The Rant Thread - dawg - 26-05-2022

(26-05-2022, 06:16 PM)ShaneU Wrote: I went into a coffee shop in Italy and asked for a latte and the guy gave me a little cup of milk.

That happened me too ...

( in a Starbucks located east of the Bann )

Wow, thanks everyone!!! Very thoughtful of y'all.

I asked about a Toshiba at the local computer shop, they said "Toshiba no longer makes consumer laptops."
The affordable Lenova and HP's have poor ratings on google....besides, 4GB's doesn't seem like enough (stuff) to run Windows 11, but what do I know!
I don't know about Dell, Asus or Acer reliabilty.
The good things about my Samsung chromebook is the long battery life and it doesn't overheat. One major bad thing is, it is utterly useless without an internet connection.

RE: The Rant Thread - dawg - 26-05-2022

That would be a thing to do.

What do you use at work ?

Are there any attractions to you to going to the Apple ecosystem ?

( I run an ancient Windows Laptop ( think it has an early 4 core I5 processor ). People say its slow and wont run fast enough for 'modern software'. Thing is, I dont have such issues. If I were going to go video editing and such then things might be a bit different.  Point is a lot of the basic lappies are more than good enough for the vast majority of work. - but get more than 4GB of memory Big Grin )

RE: The Rant Thread - Neowise - 26-05-2022

I spent £600 on my laptop, but it is awesome.
Quote:HUAWEI MateBook D 14 - 14 Inch Laptop with FullView 1080P FHD Ultrabook PC (AMD Ryzen 7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, Multi-screen Collaboration, Fingerprint Reader), Space Grey
bought it nov 2020 and its still awesome.

here's one only slightly less awesome R5 instead of R7 for £450 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083T5HFPX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

this in but one choice in a near infinte choice of machines available.

RE: The Rant Thread - ari101 - 26-05-2022

I'm happy with my HP Pavilion; I had use of a HP Envy in work and wanted something similarly fast, some reviews suggest there is better battery life to be had, but the ~6 hours I get is more than enough for how I use it 😊
I spent 700 to get 16GB RAM and 512GB storage with an OK processor, but you could definitely get a great laptop for everyday use for less.

I've had Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Apple and Lenovo too, and would be willing to try Toshiba and Lenovo again in future.

RE: The Rant Thread - Sephiroth_Dude - 26-05-2022

Hp and Sony are good boo boo, try and get 16gigs of ram , at least 1tb of storage, will you be using any intensive applications ?

RE: The Rant Thread - Trigger - 26-05-2022

Unforfunetly I ain't much use, Haven't bought a laptop in years, last one I bought was a macbook pro in 2013 as I used it for design and photo shopping etc when I used to do it on the side, screen chipped last year on it but it was still running as smoothly as when I bought it. Loved that thing Sad

Will be in the hunt for a new laptop later in the year I'd say, but may stick with Apple.. might even switch to a gaming PC instead.

RE: The Rant Thread - DejaBoo - 28-05-2022

Thanks for the great advice and info everybuddy, very helpful!!!

RE: The Rant Thread - ShaneU - 30-05-2022

What a shambles

[Image: yXS0i7W.jpg]

RE: The Rant Thread - Spears - 30-05-2022

Wouldn't have the patience for travelling in that chaos, but I really feel for the staff working up there atm. 

It's not an easy job during normal summer times, but the way it is now is mental.

RE: The Rant Thread - E.N. - 30-05-2022

(30-05-2022, 01:13 PM)Spears Wrote: Wouldn't have the patience for travelling in that chaos, but I really feel for the staff working up there atm. 

It's not an easy job during normal summer times, but the way it is now is mental.
I flew on Saturday. It wasn't as bad as Sunday, but wasn't good. Took an hour and a half through security. One thing I noticed though, was everyone being almost over polite to the staff. It's like everyone's heard how they're getting treated by DAA and knows it's not their fault, and wanted to demonstrate it. I imagined they'd be getting a lot of hassle but, while I was there at least, it didn't seem like it

RE: The Rant Thread - nothing - 30-05-2022

Fucking electricity flicked off during an ep of NCIS, a full 7 minutes before the wifi reconnected. Pain in the fucking hole.

RE: The Rant Thread - lorcand1990 - 30-05-2022

(30-05-2022, 08:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Fucking electricity flicked off during an ep of NCIS, a full 7 minutes before the wifi reconnected. Pain in the fucking hole.
That's weird, our electricity flicked off this evening too, and I don't think we live anywhere near each other!? Although with the price of electricity I probably saved a few euro from it being off for a second  Smile

(30-05-2022, 09:01 PM)lorcand1990 Wrote:
(30-05-2022, 08:52 PM)nothing Wrote: Fucking electricity flicked off during an ep of NCIS, a full 7 minutes before the wifi reconnected. Pain in the fucking hole.
That's weird, our electricity flicked off this evening too, and I don't think we live anywhere near each other!? Although with the price of electricity I probably saved a few euro from it being off for a second  Smile

I'm just hoping the washing machine was done!

RE: The Rant Thread - DejaBoo - 30-05-2022

My finger just got zapped by my phone charger, is this normal?

(30-05-2022, 10:41 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: My finger just got zapped by my phone charger, is this normal?

Was it plugged in or static?

RE: The Rant Thread - DejaBoo - 30-05-2022

(30-05-2022, 10:43 PM)nothing Wrote:
(30-05-2022, 10:41 PM)DejaBoo Wrote: My finger just got zapped by my phone charger, is this normal?

Was it plugged in or static?
Plugged in.
Before I input the charger into the phone, it sent chargey tingles down my ring finger. I will be sure not to come in contact with that metal part again, just touch the plastic.

RE: The Rant Thread - nothing - 31-05-2022

Eeep! You ok?!

RE: The Rant Thread - DejaBoo - 31-05-2022

Yeah, just feeling really stupid now!

Thanks nothing Smile