A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 13-10-2021

In third place, earning 12pts to finish on 62pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Slide by IDER

They said: One of my favourite new bands to have emerged in the last few years, another song on the album "Mirror" has actually quickly become one of my all-time favourite songs, but the entire album is pretty good and Slide is a solid closer, it punctuates the end of the album well and has you looking forward to the second album, which coincidentally, officially dropped only last week.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 10/10
Song: 8/10
Total EN Score: 92%

Newness comment: New to me
Song comment: Liking this, lots of layers of vocals and simple instruments in the main. The drop into the chorus is very nice. A little Chvrches-esque, and that's no bad thing. Yeah, nice tune. Maybe not as much of a closer as some but good pick

So Soapy finishes one point behind Homer.
All down to Shane now - a top two finish will take the overall win, a bottom two finish will hand it to Homer

The four players filling the top and bottom two places are (in alphabetical order):
Neo
Sawduck
Sephi
Shane

In 13th place, earning 2pts to finish on 41pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with The River by Garth Brooks

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Song: 3/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: 5 nights or none! But I think I've only heard Friends in Low Places
Song comment: I don't really listen to country so don't know how this stacks up in its genre, but it's not for me I'm afraid. The music just plods along, the analogy of sailing the river of life gets stretched well beyond my breaking point and his voice is devoid of feeling. Sorry

In second place, earning 13pts to finish on 49pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Dance The Devil Back Into His Hole by The Frames

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Song: 9/10
Total EN Score: 92%

Newness comment: I know of The Frames, but don't really know much of them
Song comment: Well my opinion on this really 360'd over time. The guitars jangle too much, the lyrics don't always fit into the space they're given, his voice isn't great, and yet... and yet... I really like this! Even a little Willy Wonka tribute which doesn't fit but is weirdly perfect. Then everything just builds towards the end, sounds getting piled on top of sounds. Ah, and breathe... I just love it, it's a great song (I think!)

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 13-10-2021

(13-10-2021, 09:30 PM)E.N. Wrote: So Soapy finishes one point behind Homer.
All down to Shane now - a top two finish will take the overall win, a bottom two finish will hand it to Homer

[Image: nervous-weve-got-a-nervous-nelly.gif]

Is Shane first or last...?!

In 14th place, earning 1pts to finish on 29pts, and much to Shane's relief, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Whatsername by Green Day

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Song: 4/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: Obviously I know the album, but I can't think of the final song now...
Song comment: ...oh, and now I know why. Man, what an anticlimax after American Idiot. Again, hate to be this person, but if you picked All By Myself I'd have given points through laughter. This is just so-so. Even when it kicks in later it doesn't quite feel like it knows what it wants to do, before falling back again and stopping. Sorry, not digging it

Which means in first place, earning 14pts to finish in first overall on 64.5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Posing For Cars by Japanese Breakfast

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 96%

Newness comment: New to me
Song comment: This floats along really nicely for the first half, then really hits the "album closer" box with the instrumental second half, it's really good. In the end I find myself closing my eyes and just getting swept along by it, great pick and just the sort of thing I was looking for here

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 13-10-2021

[Image: will-ferrell-yes.gif]

So congrats to Shane - two category wins and two more podiums, crazy stuff.

PlayerSimpleTitleBeatlesBondDJFinaleTotal
Shane141211121.51464.5
Homer138710141163
R.Soaps814101171262
osh111051413861
Zaph10119912657
Sephi12527101349
Aris5136831045
Neo1912611241
cee_jay773136541
nothing361318940
Liz9314343.536.5
Sawduck64459129
Kol418253.523.5
Necro22141.5717.5

Thanks to everyone for entering - it was great listening. The scoring was actually less stressful than I thought it would be on the whole, though there were plenty of tough decisions along the way. Hope you picked up a few new songs you liked if you were following along. Until next time...!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 13-10-2021

Well played Shane, very impressive scoring. Well apart from the round where The Ting Tings kicked your arse. Big Grin And thanks for hosting EN, I enjoyed that and very happy with my final placing.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 13-10-2021

Congratulations Shane!!

Thank you for another great competition E.N.!!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 13-10-2021

Well Done @ShaneU and Thank You @E.N.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 13-10-2021

Well done @ShaneU

Thanks @E.N. for running, enjoyed the reveals Smile

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 13-10-2021

Cheers for the game EN, and well done Shane. Some good scoring there.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 13-10-2021

I am tad bit obsessed with Tom Grennan lately

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 13-10-2021

Was out for a few pints so missed the live reveal, but very happy with a podium finish in both the round itself and overall.

Congrats Shane, a well deserved win, we've been Walrus rivals for quite some time, shared a win on one occasion and another where I leapfrogged you to victory in the final round, so glad to see you taking a solo victory once again. Fair to say, you've been keeping me on my toes as of late.

Cheers for running E.N., glad you liked enjoyed my submissions and the majority of them were completely new to you.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 14-10-2021

I was also out for pints (2 nights in a row, unheard of!) So missed the reveals. But E.N. really enjoyed reading back, your scoring system, and commentary.
Well done Shane, some great picks

I'm just glad I got E.N. to realise Eurovision isn't as awful as he thought and he is a convert for next year Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 15-11-2021

(22-09-2021, 09:36 PM)E.N. Wrote: In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Hasta La Raiz by Natalia Lafourcade

@ShaneU, or anyone else who likes the song, just noticed this song is on series 2 of Song Exploder on netflix. I've not seen many, but the original podcast is excellent, just artists explaining how one song came together

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 23-06-2022

(19-09-2021, 09:49 PM)E.N. Wrote: Which means the winner of the first round, taking home 14pts, is

SpoilerShow Content

with Strange by Celeste

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 9/10
Total EN Score: 88%

Newness comment: I know the name but don't know any songs, so pretty good
Fit comment: Ah yeah, nice and stripped back
Song comment: This is the second song I've listened to and I have a feeling it might be winning. Her voice is amazing, it has that slight edge and imperfection to it that almost make it perfect, if that makes sense. The music is great, the strings swell nicely over the piano that's guiding us along. But it's all about her voice. Really liking this

Just found out that my friend's kid (I say kid, he's 22!) is playing saxophone for Celeste at Glastonbury this weekend Smile