A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 12-10-2021

In 10th place, with 5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Murder On The Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis-Bexter

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Fit: 10/10
Song: 7/10
Total EN Score: 68%

Newness comment: I think everyone knows this, right?!
Song comment: Aw Sophie, we were born a few months apart and a few miles apart. Anyway, another classic. No arguing with it but I also find it hard to write much analytical about it, you all know the score

In 9th place, with 6pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Pon de Replay by Rihanna

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: Don't think I know the song, but know the artist
Song comment: First listen I hated this but I have to admit it's worked its way into my head a bit. I still wouldn't say it's good, but I do drum the steering wheel when it's on in the car

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Play by Jennifer Lopez

They said: This was the category I was always going to struggle with and I didn't ever expect I'd be submitting J-Lo to a Walrus, but this is one I vaguely remembered, had another couple of listens to it today and it's actually pretty good. Plus it fits the brief, so hopefully you don't hate it.

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Song: 8/10
Total EN Score: 76%

Newness comment: I know the song, and I know JLo, but I didn't actually know this was her
Song comment: Well, here we are, I'm about to write that I really like a JLo song, I wasn't expecting this! But this is a really good tune, I don't think I'd ever given it's the credit it's due. So yeah, there we go!

In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Hey Boy Hey Girl by Chemical Brothers

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 9/10

Newness comment: I mean, I'd give it negative marks if I could, I namechecked it in the intro Tongue
Song comment: I'm a teenager of the 90s, of course I love this! It's a long way from their best but it's a belting tune. Ah, I remember the days of this being blasted at me while I was drunk in a field

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 12-10-2021

Hahaha sorry! Super happy with that position

In 6th place, with 9pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Last Night A DJ Saved My Life by Indeep

I said:
Newness:
1/5

Newness comment: I wouldn't have been able to name the band, but obviously I know it
Song comment: Another classic, so again... No arguing with it but I also find it hard to write much analytical about it, you all know the score

In 5th place, with 10pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Insatiable by Thick Dick

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 80%

Newness comment: New to me
Song comment: This has a decent sound to it but doesn't really go anywhere. In the end I feel like it would be playing in the background of a beach bar during the day. It's decent but nothing special

In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with DJ by David Bowie

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Total EN Score: 80%

Song comment: Yay, a chance to set my record straight with the thin white duke after last rounds slating. Except... it's not amazing. On repeated listens it is rising a little. Bit of a Talking Heads feel to it, but I like them. Again, it's the fact DB has so much better that's holding this down

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 12-10-2021

There's always one bad opinion, no-one's perfect  Tongue

(12-10-2021, 09:05 PM)E.N. Wrote: Well that's thrown the top of the table wide open, can Soapy, osh, Zaph, Homer take advantage...?

So the answer was yes, with osh, Zaph and Homer all on the podium! Who will top the table at the end of the penultimate round?

(12-10-2021, 09:31 PM)ShaneU Wrote: There's always one bad opinion, no-one's perfect  Tongue
Don't beat yourself up about it Wink

In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Great DJ by The Ting Tings

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Total EN Score: 84%

Song comment: There's a good rhythm in the intro. Oh, gets a bit lost when the vocals kick in. Ah man though, the chorus gets me. I think it's terrible but I like it! I'm so conflicted here, I really don't think it's good but I enjoy it. Yeah, it's landing high.... I think... Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 12-10-2021

WTF?????

(12-10-2021, 09:35 PM)Zaph Wrote: WTF?????
I think it's the drums.... the drums, the drums, the drums, the drums, the drums, ah ah ah ah ah ah!

In second place, with 13pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Superjock by Reuben Bell

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 88%

Song comment: Funky, nice. If I'm hyper critical it does sound like a lot of other songs (I presume from the same era) but my shoulders certainly sway when it's on, even if I don't remember much of it once it's gone

(12-10-2021, 09:36 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 09:35 PM)Zaph Wrote: WTF?????
I think it's the drums....  the drums, the drums, the drums, the drums, the drums, ah ah ah ah ah ah!

Big Grin

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 12-10-2021

The bloody ting tings in third, getting robbed blind here pac

Which means tonight's winner, with 14pts, is

SpoilerShow Content

with DJ Ease My Mind by Niki and The Dove

They said: I mean, it's right there in the title! The other options I had were Atlantis to Interzone by Klaxons (DEEJAY! Uh uh uhhh) and Great DJ by the Ting Tings....of the three, this is probably the one you're least likely to have heard before. And it's a great tune, so hope you enjoy it.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 92%

Song comment: Oh, this is an interesting start... I'm getting Mad Max vibes. Now here's the drums, oh it's finding its gear now. Her voice is Fever Ray like (ha ha, they are Swedish, am I stereotyping?)
Anyway, yeah, liking this! Really liking it, great pick

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 12-10-2021

(12-10-2021, 09:19 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Play by Jennifer Lopez

They said: This was the category I was always going to struggle with and I didn't ever expect I'd be submitting J-Lo to a Walrus, but this is one I vaguely remembered, had another couple of listens to it today and it's actually pretty good. Plus it fits the brief, so hopefully you don't hate it.

I said:
Newness:
1/5

Newness comment: I know the song, and I know JLo, but I didn't actually know this was her
Song comment: Well, here we are, I'm about to write that I really like a JLo song, I wasn't expecting this! But this is a really good tune, I don't think I'd ever given it's the credit it's due. So yeah, there we go!

Well that went far better than expected. Definitely thought I was getting last place here.

So, what's that done to the table? With one round to go, only 3pts separate the top five! (I swear I didn't rig this)

PlayerSimpleTitleBeatlesBondDJTotal
osh11105141353
Homer1387101452
Zaph1011991251
Shane141211121.550.5
R.Soaps8141011750
Neo191261139
Sephi125271036
cee_jay77313636
Aris51368335
Liz93143433
nothing36131831
Sawduck6445928
Kol4182520
Necro22141.510.5

Meanwhile the spoon looks secured now, you know I love you though Necro! Tongue

(12-10-2021, 09:38 PM)ShaneU Wrote: The bloody ting tings in third, getting robbed blind here pac
I mean, in many ways I agree. But apparently I don't agree, I'm as surprised as anyone!

Might try to complete the reveal tomorrow evening, I'll see how things are going and confirm during the day

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 12-10-2021

4th from the bottom, I'm impressed with myself!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 12-10-2021

Ah, Niki & The Dove, what a fantastic album!!!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 12-10-2021

Can't complain with second!

It's a decent enough song, couldn't think of much else that wouldn't be too obvious.

Thought there was a chance you might know it too, knocking off a few points.

It was on the DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist album Brainfreeze.

This was my second choice , also off that album. Couldn't decide which to go with

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Homer J. Fong - 12-10-2021

(12-10-2021, 09:41 PM)E.N. Wrote: Which means tonight's winner, with 14pts, is

SpoilerShow Content

with DJ Ease My Mind by Niki and The Dove

They said: I mean, it's right there in the title! The other options I had were Atlantis to Interzone by Klaxons (DEEJAY! Uh uh uhhh) and Great DJ by the Ting Tings....of the three, this is probably the one you're least likely to have heard before. And it's a great tune, so hope you enjoy it.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 92%

Song comment: Oh, this is an interesting start... I'm getting Mad Max vibes. Now here's the drums, oh it's finding its gear now. Her voice is Fever Ray like (ha ha, they are Swedish, am I stereotyping?)
Anyway, yeah, liking this! Really liking it, great pick

Phew, was worried I might seriously regret not going with Klaxons!!

(12-10-2021, 09:44 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 09:38 PM)ShaneU Wrote: The bloody ting tings in third, getting robbed blind here pac
I mean, in many ways I agree. But apparently I don't agree, I'm as surprised as anyone!

Not as surprised as I was! I mean, I hate The Smiths too, but I was full sure The Ting Tings were going to be occupying the bottom spot instead. Big Grin

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 13-10-2021

Still hoping to reveal the final round tonight at 9pm!

Album closers.

I actually entered my favourite album closer into Homer's upcoming walrus so I won't mention it here.
So many to choose from. There's the absolute classic, that's so good I almost forget to breathe when I hear it...

Immerse your soul in love

...but I'd have gone for something a bit more obscure. Probably The Silence by Manchester Orchestra which is brilliant, and wouldn't work anywhere on the album but last...

Hopefully see you guys later, who will take home the ultimate prize?!

A reminder of the state of play:

(12-10-2021, 09:43 PM)E.N. Wrote:
PlayerSimpleTitleBeatlesBondDJTotal
osh11105141353
Homer1387101452
Zaph1011991251
Shane141211121.550.5
R.Soaps8141011750
Neo191261139
Sephi125271036
cee_jay77313636
Aris51368335
Liz93143433
nothing36131831
Sawduck6445928
Kol4182520
Necro22141.510.5

Any of the top five could win it. And Necro could still leapfrog Kol... Tongue

I'll leave the bottom two and top two until last again this round, and start with 12th...

Actually, we start in joint 11th, earning 3.5pts each, it's...

SpoilerShow Content

with Wake Up by Alanis Morrisette

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: I was 16 when JLP came out, so I know it well. I was probably trying to impress girls by liking it!
Song comment: This is one of those songs that suffers from familiarity with the rest of the album. It's such a great album when it's at it's raw, angry best. This though, is a bit more restrained than a lot of it, and just doesn't impress in the same way. It's still good, but it pales in comparison to something like You Oughta Know

That means Kol finishes on 23.5pts, and Liz on 36.5pts

Coincidentally (no, really!) the next song is from the same album pac

In 10th place, earning 5pts to finish on 41pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Your House by Alanis Morrisette

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Total EN Score: 68%

Newness comment: So this is the hidden song on JLP, which I'll allow, but see my comment above
Song comment: This song is so creepy! The lyrics are full on stalker mode, they make me want to take out a restraining order. It's quite cool though, just the lone voice in an echoey room, guessing she may have even recorded it at home or something. Definitely could only be hidden at the end of the album so fits the brief. It gets points for uniqueness, but I won't be rushing to listen to it again

In 9th place, earning 6pts to finish on 57pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Last Resort by Eagles

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: I don't know the song, but obviously I know the Eagles (mainly through my dad)
Song comment: The first half of the song doesn't do much for me but the extended outro is good, overall though it balances up pretty middle of the road

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 13-10-2021

3 people picked the same Alanis Morrisette album? what are the odds pac

In 8th place, earning 7pts to finish on 17.5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with All Apologies by Nirvana

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 9/10

Newness comment: Nirvana? Never heard of them Tongue
Song comment: I love this song, simple as that. It loses one point, slightly harshly, because I do prefer the unplugged version but that's it. It's a great closer too

In 7th place, earning 8pts to finish on 61pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with The Wild Kindness by Silver Jews

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Song comment: OK, I like the style. Quite like Neutral Milk Hotel or Pavement. Ha ha, just looked them up and Stephen Malkmus was in them! Makes sense, surprised I've never heard of them now. Anyway, the song... it's got that slightly awkward, impenetrable feel that I often like. It just feels slightly wrong somehow, and I like and dislike that. Oh, it's over. OK, I liked it, but didn't love it

So our overnight leader finishes on 61pt
11 ahead of Soapy
10.5 ahead of Shane
9 ahead of Homer

In 6th place, earning 9pts to finish on 40pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Fire In The Cup by Watercress

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Song comment: I was impressed when I saw it was 18 minutes but it's a long gap and then a bonus song! So, the song itself. It's very bare, simple drums on the whole and is that a ukulele? I like it, but it's one of those that I want to go somewhere, but it doesn't. It was an interesting listen though, and I can see how it closes an album well

In 5th place, earning 10pts to finish on 45pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Eyes of a Stranger by Queensryche

I said:
Newness:
4/5

Newness comment: I know the name, but not sure I've ever listened to Queensryche
Song comment: I like the start, with the hospital soundscape behind the music, and it kicks into gear well then. Oh, then it steps back from the guitars and the vocals are very 80s, which I'm not digging so much. No, as it goes on I'm enjoying it. It's crazily overblown of course, but it is good. The outro is good too. Overall I like it, but it's not top of the pile

In 4th place, earning 11pts to finish on 63pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

They said: Ruining my streak of female vocalists here, but there wasn't anything else I could have picked for this. It finishes off the album of the same name (hence why it could have fit in #2 as well) and he also finished off his live shows with it, up until recently. And it is a gorgeous, haunting, heavenly slice of aural bliss. Quite simple and straightforward lyrically, by his standards, but all the better for it. I suspect Warren Ellis had a big hand in writing this song, he has definitely led Nick towards more ambient sounding music. And I for one am not complaining at all. I love this song so much, and I hope you enjoy it too.

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Song: 10/10

Newness comment: I love Nick Cave but haven't actually listened to this album much, so can't instantly place the song
Song comment: Man, such a haunting start. Cave's voice is so good, I've always thought the slow stuff the Bad Seeds produce is underrated compared to some of the rough early stuff. This is just epic, gets right under the skin. Look, you're not going to win because of how familiar I am with The Bad Seeds but this song is perfection, thank you for directing me back to an album I had slightly overlooked myself

So Homer takes the lead on 63pts
13 ahead of Soapy
12.5 ahead of Shane