A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 08:03 PM)E.N. Wrote: OK, Beatles covers, let's go!
Going to dive in at 14th and just work up to first, because we need to sort this one out straight away... Tongue

In 14th place, with 1pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with In My Life by Johnny Cash

Song comment: Ah man, I remember the fallout from Hurt ranking low in a previous walrus but here we go...  it's just not very good Sad  First up, this is one of a small handful of Beatles songs that I really love, so you have to do something special to cover it. This sounds like they got a cheap jobbing guitarist in to play a little background music and that Cash came in and half-arsed a single take then left. I doubt he picked the song or had any involvement in the production. It feels cynical and easy to me. His voice is amazing, but it's not well used here. Sorry, this one bombed for me

If it's any consolation, Mrs EN has just told me I'm really wrong and that's really good Confused

In 10th place, with 5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Because by Elliott Smith

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 10/10
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 76%

Newness comment: I know of Elliott Smith, but have never listened to him much
Song comment: Hmmmm.... for me this is half a great song. The first minute is a great intro but I need it to go somewhere. The music then kicks like it might, but it settles back into more of the same. The second half infuriates me because I feel like the whole could be great, but it isn't. So 5/5 for the first half, 0/5 for the second half!

In 9th place, with 6pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Helter Skelter by U2

They said: A very good cover and great opening of a great album

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 9/10
Total EN Score: 76%

Newness comment: I think everyone knows this, right? Smile
Song comment: I love this version, simple as that. It's a belter. I love this eraof U2, this entire album is a cracker

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 07-10-2021

Oops! I really struggled with this category, so at least it didn't come last? That celeb version of Imagine was all kinds of dreadful, I didn't think Pentatonix was as bad as that!

(07-10-2021, 08:22 PM)cee_jay Wrote: Oops! I really struggled with this category, so at least it didn't come last? That celeb version of Imagine was all kinds of dreadful, I didn't think Pentatonix was as bad as that!
No, maybe that was a little harsh Tongue
I've still never heard that celeb version, but assumed it was acapella like this

Sorry, just didn't work for me at all Confused

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Across The Universe by Fiona Apple

They said: I was torn between this or The Breeders' version of Happiness Is a Warm Gun...but I figured you might be more likely to have heard the latter. Also, while I enjoy both versions of HiaWG (the Beatles one has a better ending, but The Breeders do "Mother Superior jump the gun" better!) I definitely prefer Fiona's version of Across the Universe to the original. It sounds like a song that was written for her, if that makes sense? Of all the categories, this is the one I suspect is most likely to be a duplicate...but that's a testament to how good a cover it is!

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Song: 7/10
Total EN Score: 80%

Newness comment: I've listened to Apple's last album after seeing some crazy good reviews, but have to admit I didn't get it. Don't know this cover though, so this might be a nice in for me...
Song comment: I like this, but in the end I don't think I like it as much as I want to like it, if that makes sense. The music is great and I like her voice, but in the end the total adds up to good but not amazing for me. I expected more edginess from her, and in the end I'm craving that

In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with It's All Too Much by Journey

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Song: 8/10

Newness comment: I hadn't heard this cover
Song comment: Another grower for me - I liked it initially but on repeated listens found myself enjoying it more and more. Great tempo and guitar work. Nice pick Smile

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 07-10-2021

Felt I easily could've been in the bottom half here as I took a bit of a punt, so was reading through like this...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Anywhere after this point is all gravy...

In 6th place, with 9pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Everybody's Got Something To Hide (Except Me And My Monkey) by The Feelies

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 84%

Newness comment: Hadn't heard of them, but they came up twice in this walrus!
Song comment: Ì think I can just repeat what I said about the Feelies last round, "I had an uncle who loved this sort of music when I was kid, this brings me right back, even though I don't know this song. There's not a lot of complexity to it but it's fun while it's here and I enjoyed it"

(07-10-2021, 08:30 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Felt I easily could've been in the bottom half here as I took a bit of a punt, so was reading through like this...

Always dangerous to comment on a walrus before you come up Tongue

In 5th place, with 10pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Ob-La-Di Ob-Li-Da by Leo

They said: Whenever someone says cover to me these days, my first port of call is always Leo Moracchioli. I'm actually not a big fan of the original Beatles version of this particular song, but as soon as I saw Beatles Cover I knew it was the one I'd be putting forward here. You'll probably hate it, but I think it's vastly different from the OG song and I didn't want to go down the carbon copy route.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 88%

Newness comment: New band to me
Song comment: I like this, but if I'm being very critical I think it's a little generic. I think you hear a lot of covers in two categories - the speed it up and thrash around like this, and the slow acoustic cover for a Marks and Spencer advert. It's undeniably fun but on repeated listens it wore off a little for me

In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with All My Loving by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Song comment: I like this, but if I'm being very critical I think it's a little generic. I think you hear a lot of covers in two categories - the speed it up and thrash around like this, and the slow acoustic cover for a Marks and Spencer advert. It's undeniably fun but on repeated listens it wore off a little for me. Intended duplication Tongue

(07-10-2021, 08:34 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 08:30 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Felt I easily could've been in the bottom half here as I took a bit of a punt, so was reading through like this...

Always dangerous to comment on a walrus before you come up Tongue

SpoilerShow Content

They said: Whenever someone says cover to me these days, my first port of call is always Leo Moracchioli. I'm actually not a big fan of the original Beatles version of this particular song, but as soon as I saw Beatles Cover I knew it was the one I'd be putting forward here. You'll probably hate it, but I think it's vastly different from the OG song and I didn't want to go down the carbon copy route.

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Song comment: I like this, but if I'm being very critical I think it's a little generic. I think you hear a lot of covers in two categories - the speed it up and thrash around like this, and the slow acoustic cover for a Marks and Spencer advert. It's undeniably fun but on repeated listens it wore off a little for me

IT'S ALL GRAVY BABY, YEAH!!!

So, into the podium places, we have Liz, Neo and nothing to fight them out...

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 07-10-2021

I don't even remember what I entered!

In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Blackbird by Bobby McFerrin

I said:
Newness:
4/5

Newness comment: I know Don't Worry Be Happy, but otherwise this is pretty much new
Song comment: My initial notes for ages just said "watch the video". I presume this is him doing everything with his voice...? Then you'd sent me a link that didn't show him Tongue So I listened to a different version to the link above but watched this, and it deserves to be watched. I don't know how to mark it, on sound alone it's good but watching him perform it is amazing. I'm going to land somewhere in the midlle and say 8, because I wouldn't choose to listen to it much but I appreciate the talent is amazing, especially the final 15s or so

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 07-10-2021

(07-10-2021, 08:37 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 08:34 PM)E.N. Wrote: Always dangerous to comment on a walrus before you come up Tongue

SpoilerShow Content

I said:
Newness:
5/5

IT'S ALL GRAVY BABY, YEAH!!!

M&S gravy?

(07-10-2021, 08:40 PM)nothing Wrote: I don't even remember what I entered!

In second place, with 13pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with A Hard Days Night by Blue Beatles

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 92%

Song comment: This grew and grew on me on repeated listens. Initially I thought it was a bit of an easy cover but actually there's a lot going on and it really comes to life after the slow intro. The piano solo is class. I imagine if you saw this live it would be absolute class, really enjoyed this in the end

Which means our winner, with 14pts, is

SpoilerShow Content

with Let It Be by JP Cooper

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 9/10
Total EN Score: 96%

Newness comment: Rings a vague bell but I think he's new to me
Song comment: This has risen and risen every time I listened to it. Initially I thought there wasn't much to it but actually, it's spot on. The arrangement is great, his voice really suits it and carries emotion in it, which I always want to hear. The harmonies are good. I still think there's not an awful lot to it but it takes a really well known song and owns it, it's great. Great pick, well done Smile (Edit: glad I didn't watch the video initially, that's one punchable face!)

(07-10-2021, 08:43 PM)cee_jay Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 08:37 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: IT'S ALL GRAVY BABY, YEAH!!!

M&S gravy?

Is M&S Gravy particularly good? Don't know if I've ever had it...

Boil the kettle and add in the Bisto is my usual go to if I'm making it myself.

At the halfway point Shane has slightly extended his lead, while Necro and I have been on different pages Confused
Still all to play for though. Let's aim for the next round on Monday at 9

SimpleTitleBeatlesTotal
Shane14121137
R.Soaps8141032
Zaph1011930
Homer138728
osh1110526
Liz931426
Aris513624
Neo191222
nothing361322
Sephi125219
cee_jay77317
Sawduck64414
Kol41813
Necro2215

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 07-10-2021

WooHoo No. 1 in a category Yay

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Neowise - 08-10-2021

Looked tonight, but will listen tomorrow.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 09-10-2021

Next up is Bond-esque songs

I just listened to the top six on the drive to see Bond Smile
There's some crackers here, easily my favourite round. I was driving along thinking "how is this fifth? I messed up... oh no, the next one is awesome... oh yeah, this one's amazing..."

This round was inspired by this song, which is just out this year. I heard it and thought it sounded very Bond-esque and took it from there. Only saw the video this morning, they're leaning into the Bond themes, sat at the bar with a martini...

25 by The Pretty Reckless

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 09-10-2021

(09-10-2021, 01:48 PM)E.N. Wrote: This round was inspired by this song, which is just out this year. I heard it and thought it sounded very Bond-esque and took it from there.

So Bond-esque that I hope John Barry has a writing credit for the backing guitar melody.  That said, it would be a perfect Bond film theme, definitely better than some that have gone before.  Not naming any names, but you know what you've done Madonna and Sam Smith...

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 11-10-2021

Still hoping for 9pm tonight, as long as the sprogs let me Tongue
Been listening again today and final places are still a little fluid, one song is really mounting a late charge!

EDIT: I think I have final places now. On my marking scale out of 25, 1 mark separates 1st from 4th, and only one more mark to 6th. This has been a really, really tough round to mark

...just for balance, we also have the lowest score of the walrus pac

OK, going to run through from bottom to top again, starting with some harsh words. I actually tried to rewrite the comment but literally couldn't find the words, sorry!

In 14th place, with 1pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Millennium by Robbie Williams

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Fit: 4/10
Song: 2/10
Total EN Score: 24%

Newness comment: Afraid not Tongue
Fit comment: Yeah, look, they've stolen the strings from a Bond theme, but the rest of the song is just bolted on to those
Song comment: You know the cliched "my mum told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...?

OK, from someone that I hate (Robbie Williams, not you nothing!) to someone that I love but has somehow ended up at this end of the table...

In 13th place, with 2pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Fit: 5/10
Total EN Score: 48%

Newness comment: I doubt you expect any points here!
Fit comment: The title would be a great Bond title, but overall the song isn't quite in the right style for me
Song comment: I love David Bowie. I love this song... or at least I thought I did. Haven't listened to it for a while. And now I do, it's good but not great. When it comes to marking it there's two major issues - the rest of David Bowie's back catalogue, because he has much better songs than this. And the Nirvana cover! Yeah, I feel like this is almost sacrilege, but I think 7. I love you though David!

In 12th place, with 3pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Always Remember Us This Way by Lady Gaga

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Fit: 3/10
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 48%

Newness comment: Obviously I know Gaga, but haven't seen ASIB so don't know this song
Fit comment: Not really feeling it a as a Bond theme I'm afraid
Song comment: This is one of those songs that I can appreciate is good, but just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 11-10-2021

Millennium is cheating a bit pac

In 11th place, with 4pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Like A Stone by Audioslave

They said: So I think this works as a Bond theme. Amping up the usual Bond theme only to fade into this...

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Fit: 7/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: Obviously I know Audioslave, and I do recognise the song. I couldn't place it by name though, so we'll go 1
Fit comment: I can see where you're coming from here, it is a good fit and I feel a bit bad with 7, but the quality of some of the others nudges this down a bit
Song comment: Audioslave are one of those bands that tick every box for me yet somehow don't add up to a package that I love. I like them, and I like this song, but it never gets much beyond like I'm afraid. That said, it's a harsh placing for a decent tune, but this was a strong round

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 11-10-2021

Those were harsh words?! Lol, well no offence taken at all

In 10th place, with 5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Anyone Who Had A Heart by Dusty Springfield

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Fit: 7/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: Took until the chorus to recognise it, but I do
Fit comment: It's not perfect, but I can imagine it on some of the original Bonds in the 60s
Song comment: I do like a bit of Dusty, and I like this song but it slightly passes me by. I found I was looking out of the bus window at my surroundings a bit more while it was on, but it was a pleasant few minutes

(11-10-2021, 09:13 PM)nothing Wrote: Those were harsh words?! Lol, well no offence taken at all

Ha ha, well that's good Smile
I don't like slating people's choices. But I despise Robbie Williams. Sorry, not sorry Tongue

In 9th place, with 6pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Judgment Day by Whitesnake

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Fit: 6/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: I know the band, but not the song
Fit comment: No, doesn't wor... oh, hang on! No, yes, no, yes...! There's some bits that are quite Bond-y, some bits that are more standard 80s metal. In balance, a pretty decent fit
Song comment: I missed 80s metal the first time round (too young, not often I get to say that these days!) and never really went back to it. I like individual songs but they do all merge a bit for me, and the same is true here. I like it while it's on, but it doesn't stick in my memory much

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Boss Battle Theme from Zenoblade Chronicles 2 OST by

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 5/10
Total EN Score: 68%

Newness comment: I'm not a gamer, haven't even heard of the game, let alone the song!
Fit comment: It's definitely cinematic, I can imagine it over a film (or, presumably, a video game!) but I'm not sure it's that Bond-y
Song comment: It is a belting little tune, really like it. On repeated listens it fell down a little, but still good

Into the top half and we're getting serious now. 10/10 fit, 10/10 song and it only comes in 7th! A true test of my marking scheme Tongue

In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with All Mine by Portishead

They said: The category that thought a bit difficult. Not sure if it really fits the theme, but always thought that this song and Portishead in general have a "film" quality in their music

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 10/10

Newness comment: Portishead might be my favourite band, so I'm afraid you have to get zero here! But...
Fit comment: I didn't think of this at all for this round, but the second it kicks in it's such a great fit. It's a great choice, I now can't hear it without imagine stylised guns, bullets, cars, girls...!
Song comment: Look, I fecking adore Portishead, there's nothing more to say really. You're getting nothing for newness but I've no qualms giving this full marks for the song, I just love it

Coincidentally my facebook memory today was that it was 10 years since I saw Portishead on my own in Toronto Smile

In 6th place, with 9pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with I Belong To You by Caro Emerald

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 8/10

Newness comment: I think I might know the name, but not sure so you can have 5
Fit comment: The chorus oozes Bond, I feel bad marking it down to be honest, but the verses aren't quite such a good fit and some of the others just edged it out on fit
Song comment: Like this. Interesting mix of styles, her voice is quite baroque showgirl, the strings rise up through the chorus in that style too, then you get some record scratching, but it all works, enjoying this

SpoilerShow Content

with Shades Of Cool by Lana Del Rey

They said: Tell me that intro isn't Bondy! Lana can be hit and miss but when she gets it right, I genuinely think she's one of the finest artists around at the moment. I must admit I've never actually seen a Bond movie, but I can definitely imagine this playing over the credits of one. I was tempted to go with something by Portishead here....but that would have been far too much a case of low-hanging fruit for you! Tongue

I said:
Newness:
3/5

Newness comment: Don't know the song, but obviously know LDR
Fit comment: Ah yeah, from the moment is starts. It's slow and sad, it's Daniel Craig not Pierce Brosnan, but this is a Bond theme through and through
Song comment: This was a really pleasant surprise. I know Lana Del Rey's early singles and kind of liked them, listened to a few other songs of hers and nothing really grabbed me but this is really good. Thanks for getting in onto my radar, really enjoying it.