A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 22-09-2021

In 6th place, with 9pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Bad by Michael Jackson

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Fit: 10/10
Song: 10/10
Total EN Score: 80%

Newness comment: Michael Who...? Tongue
Song comment: OK, I'm going to try to be objective. I loved this back in the day but haven't listened to it for years. No nostalgia points though.... ah man, what a riff. It's just so good, isn't it? I'm trying to fight it, but just have 10 pts...!

In 5th place, with 10pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Crazy Rhythms by The Feelies

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 7/10
Total EN Score: 88%

Newness comment: Hadn't heard of them, but they came up twice in this walrus!
Song comment: I had an uncle who loved this sort of music when I was kid, this brings me right back, even though I don't know this song. There's not a lot of complexity to it but it's fun while it's here and I enjoyed it. I like the long instrumental middle too, right up my street

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 22-09-2021

Its actually the end track of the album too, so hence the long instrumental bit, as most other tracks are good bit shorter. More of a live jam feel

Also interesting that they've come up twice Big Grin

(22-09-2021, 09:29 PM)osh Wrote: Its actually the end track of the album too, so hence the long instrumental bit, as most other tracks are good bit shorter. More of a live jam feel

Yep - different song in a later round. Guessing it wasn't you then!

In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On by Funkadelic

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 8/10
Total EN Score: 92%

Newness comment: Never heard of them (I don't think)
Song comment: I mean, you can't help but enjoy it, can you? I'm not sure it's a great song per se, but when it comes on I enjoy it, every time. Nice pick

In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Hasta La Raiz by Natalia Lafourcade

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Newness comment: Never heard of her Smile
Song comment: I'm getting dappled sunshine coming the spring blossom as the evening is just warm enough to sit out and have a little chilled out glass of wine. Which is to say I'm enjoying it! On repeated listens it maybe fades into the background just a little, but it's still a really nice pick and someone I wouldn't have stumbled across by myself, thanks (I've since looked her up and she's really famous, isn't she?!)

Which means our top and bottom two are from:

Aris
Kol
Necro
R.Soaps

The top two really were a coin toss, both scored the same and both very good

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 22-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 09:32 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On by Funkadelic

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Newness comment: Never heard of them (I don't think)
Song comment: I mean, you can't help but enjoy it, can you? I'm not sure it's a great song per se, but when it comes on I enjoy it, every time. Nice pick

One of the legendary George Clinton's bands.  I agree, it's more enjoyable than it probably has a right to be, but it's quality 70s funk at it's finest.  It reminds me of something that would have been on the soundtrack of a 70s Blaxploitation film.

In 13th place, with 2pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Song: 4/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: I mean, I'm being a bit generous with 1pt here Tongue
Song comment: I was too young for the initial impact of this album when it came out, it was a decade or so later that I drifted in to rap via Eminem. Objectively, I'm sure this is a really important track and may well have been the original, but for me it sounds so much like a lot of other stuff that listening back it doesn't do much for me, sorry. It's grand like, but I'm not a big fan

(22-09-2021, 09:40 PM)Zaph Wrote: One of the legendary George Clinton's bands.  I agree, it's more enjoyable than it probably has a right to be, but it's quality 70s funk at it's finest.  It reminds me of something that would have been on the soundtrack of a 70s Blaxploitation film.

Ah, I obviously know George Clinton. I think I do know the band then, just couldn't place the name

In second place, with 13pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Michican Left by Arkells

They said: A Canadian band that I discovered with this song many years ago and I am a big fan of - also fantastic live the one time I saw them at Whelan's

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Song: 9/10
Total EN Score: 96%

Newness comment: Never heard of them Smile
Song comment: Like this - got hints of someone like Circa Waves, or We Were Scientists, and I like them. The rhythm underneath it all really keeps it going along at a good lick. I don't love the guy's voice, but it does suit the song. Very nice pick, thanks for that

Someone's got to come last. With 1pt, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Life For Rent by Dido

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Total EN Score: 56.%

Newness comment: No, like many I bought her debut on the back on Stan, and know this too
Song comment: I did used to like Dido but haven't listened to her for years and years. Coming back now I know why, I'm kind of bored... she has a decent voice but it sounds like she's holding back, There's no emotion, no edge, it's just a bit bland I'm afraid

Which means tonight's winner, with 14pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Modern Science by Revere

They said: This could've fit into the last category too because not only does it share the album title it closes out the whole thing. A relatively unknown band from Cork, I kind of only got to know them because I was working on a radio show in college that promoted new Irish music, but I love this album, and Modern Science is the cherry on top of the whole trifle.

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Song comment: Initially I wasn't sure but the moment it clicks into gear around 30secs it's a great tune. Really reminds me of someone else which is bugging me, but anyway... yeah, really nice tune, will definitely be checking out more of them, thanks

Bloody hell that was a bland write-up for the winning song, I must have meant to come back to that!
I really like to transitions between sections of the song. The keyboards are great and the drums do a good job of guiding the song. His voice is a little odd but I really like it

So Shane's third place sees him extend the lead at the top. Still early days though

SimpleTitleTotal
Shane141226
R.Soaps81422
Homer13821
osh111021
Zaph101121
Aris51318
Sephi12517
cee_jay7714
Liz9312
Neo1910
Sawduck6410
nothing369
Kol415
Necro224

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 22-09-2021

Well, better than the first round... And currently not last! Woop!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 22-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 09:45 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 09:40 PM)Zaph Wrote: One of the legendary George Clinton's bands.  I agree, it's more enjoyable than it probably has a right to be, but it's quality 70s funk at it's finest.  It reminds me of something that would have been on the soundtrack of a 70s Blaxploitation film.

Ah, I obviously know George Clinton. I think I do know the band then, just couldn't place the name

He more or less merged Funkadelic with his other band, Parliament, as Parliament-Funkadelic, or more usually P-Funk.  A guy I used to work with years ago went to a Clinton gig, can't remember where exactly, possibly Whelan's.  Later on he went into a nearby chipper.  As he was queuing the guy behind him accidentally bumped into him and my mate turned around to see George Clinton, in a shiny silver suit with multi-coloured dreads patiently waiting to order his food.  No amount of drink prepares you for something like that. Big Grin

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Sephiroth_Dude - 22-09-2021

Ya I should have went with something else, as much as I love painkiller its not everyone's cup of tae like, wish I'd gone for this instead.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 22-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 09:52 PM)E.N. Wrote: Which means tonight's winner, with 14pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Modern Science by Revere

They said: This could've fit into the last category too because not only does it share the album title it closes out the whole thing. A relatively unknown band from Cork, I kind of only got to know them because I was working on a radio show in college that promoted new Irish music, but I love this album, and Modern Science is the cherry on top of the whole trifle.

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Song comment: Initially I wasn't sure but the moment it clicks into gear around 30secs it's a great tune. Really reminds me of someone else which is bugging me, but anyway... yeah, really nice tune, will definitely be checking out more of them, thanks

Sweet. Wasn't expecting top spot (@cee_jay Tusk was robbed, should've been #1 pac ), but will gladly take it.

That whole album is really worth checking out if you enjoyed that track. I  was very nearly tempted to submit Modern Science for the closing track as well.

(22-09-2021, 09:58 PM)Sephiroth_Dude Wrote: Ya I should have went with something else, as much as I love painkiller its not everyone's cup of tae like, wish I'd gone for this instead.

I submitted that to Necro's movie soundtrack walrus as an alternative for Saving Private Ryan Big Grin
I love ASIWYFA

(22-09-2021, 10:00 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: I was very nearly tempted to submit Modern Science for the closing track as well.

It would have scored zero for newness then Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Sephiroth_Dude - 22-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 10:01 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 09:58 PM)Sephiroth_Dude Wrote: Ya I should have went with something else, as much as I love painkiller its not everyone's cup of tae like, wish I'd gone for this instead.

I submitted that to Necro's movie soundtrack walrus as an alternative for Saving Private Ryan Big Grin
I love ASIWYFA

Aw man serious? well Gone damn it all to hell anyway 

[Image: cat-kitten.gif]

This was my other consideration for this round. May as well throw it out there in case you don't know it. 

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 22-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 10:02 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 10:00 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: I was very nearly tempted to submit Modern Science for the closing track as well.

It would have scored zero for newness then Tongue

Ah yeah, more for the lols than anything else.

Really like how you're grading on Newness and Category fit as well as how much you like the song and averaging a total. Next time I host a Walrus, that's the system I want to use.

(22-09-2021, 10:08 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Really like how you're grading on Newness and Category fit as well as how much you like the song and averaging a total. Next time I host a Walrus, that's the system I want to use

I'm really delighted I did it actually. I set that before starting listening. I wanted to reward new stuff and without a system I'd have really struggled to place songs I love but already know well. Looking over the entire walrus I'm happy with the way they all landed

(well, there's a couple of songs I kind of wanted to bump up despite knowing them well, but I stuck with it!)

(22-09-2021, 10:06 PM)osh Wrote: This was my other consideration for this round. May as well throw it out there in case you don't know it. 

That's very nice, but I do know Bonobo so I think you'd have landed in pretty much the same place Smile

Figured you might!

(22-09-2021, 09:31 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 09:29 PM)osh Wrote: Its actually the end track of the album too, so hence the long instrumental bit, as most other tracks are good bit shorter. More of a live jam feel

Yep - different song in a later round. Guessing it wasn't you then!

Nope, but I can probably guess the round

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 23-09-2021

Only catching up now, very happy with the placing here.

@Zaph great choice with Mr George Clinton.
Made me realise that I never explored the music under Funkadelic, only his Parliament output.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Homer J. Fong - 23-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 09:14 PM)E.N. Wrote: I fear may consider this blasphemy but here goes...

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Tusk by Fleetwood Mac

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 76%

Newness comment: I actually don't know much FM other than their big singles, thanks to my folks who both liked them
Song comment: So I know this album is considered a classic, but I'm not a big fan of the Fleetwood Mac I do know, so let's see... I do like the recorded soundscape start, drums coming in nicely... light voices, drawing me in but it has to go somewhere. No, not yet... even the brass doesn't seem fully committed. It's odd, there's a hell of a lot going on, but it still feels a bit restrained to me. Not sure. OK, on repeated listens it's not grown on me massively. It's decent, but no more

Ha, even with 0/5 for newness this still would have probably won the category for me. Absolute monster of a CHOOOOOON!  Big Grin

Happy enough with my two placings thus far, but it was only after I'd entered that I thought of this title track I could have submitted; may score lower on Newness but interested to know if it would have fared better in the "song" score part? The only problem I have with this song is that having experienced it live, the recorded version no longer quite captures the epicness! 

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 23-09-2021

I knew people would disagree with the Fleetwood Mac one. I would never want to argue with someone who loves a song, but it just doesn't do it for me

I actually had Silent Shout on my list to put up as "I might have picked"!
I had a list of half a dozen in the end and wanted a bit of variety, so Massive Attack took the electronic spot.

I do love the Knife though, so it would have done well for song but not for newness. They came to mind when I was entering your walrus but I avoided them (and Fever Ray) because I knew you were a fan Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 27-09-2021

Going to have to defer until next week unfortunately. Both of us are busy with work but share a laptop so it's in use every night, and we're at a wedding this weekend

I'll aim to get back to it early next week though

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 27-09-2021

(27-09-2021, 08:52 PM)E.N. Wrote: Going to have to defer until next week unfortunately. Both of us are busy with work but share a laptop so it's in use every night, and we're at a wedding this weekend

I'll aim to get back to it early next week though

Enjoy

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 01-10-2021

Hopefully I'll get going again on Monday evening, I'll confirm on the day

In the meantime, the next round is Beatles covers and I know you're all itching to hear what I'd have picked myself Tongue

So...

Come Together by Gary Clark Jr
I'm a big fan of Gary Clark Jr anyway but this is just brilliant. Absolutely filthy guitar work!

Don't Let Me Down by Gene
One of my favourite bands. Martin Rossiter has always been such an emotive singer, and the feeling in this song as he pleads the chorus suits it perfectly

With A Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker
Arguably the definitive answer here? I can't think of anyone else who has taken a Beatles song and taken ownership of it as much as this, it's absolute class

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 04-10-2021

Deferring again, sorry

Only just home from a weekend wedding so got a fair bit of crap to sort, plus I see Wichita Lineman's running their sheep reveal so I won't clash

Will be back this week, I promise! I'll confirm when soon

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 07-10-2021

HALF HOUR KLAXON!

Going to do the next round at 8.
Apologies for the short notice, a cold is going through our house so kiddie bedtime has been erratic. Seems OK tonight though. Hopefully they're a few of you around

OK, Beatles covers, let's go!
Going to dive in at 14th and just work up to first, because we need to sort this one out straight away... Tongue

In 14th place, with 1pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with In My Life by Johnny Cash

They said: Better than original imo, Cash is some man for these covers in the latter part of his career

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Song: 2/10
Total EN Score: 56.%

Newness comment: I hadn't heard this cover, but obviously I know Cash
Song comment: Ah man, I remember the fallout from Hurt ranking low in a previous walrus but here we go... it's just not very good Sad First up, this is one of a small handful of Beatles songs that I really love, so you have to do something special to cover it. This sounds like they got a cheap jobbing guitarist in to play a little background music and that Cash came in and half-arsed a single take then left. I doubt he picked the song or had any involvement in the production. It feels cynical and easy to me. His voice is amazing, but it's not well used here. Sorry, this one bombed for me

In 13th place, with 2pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Come Together by Foo Fighters and Liam Gallagher

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Song: 3/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: I hadn't heard this cover
Song comment: Now this could have been amazing, and I suspect if I saw it live and drunk I may have thought it was, but it's just a hot mess. Liam is wasted, doesn't know the words, the girl he pulls up can't sing, the guitarists are just going through the motions. It doesn't flow, it doesn't have any sort of uniqueness to it, it just doesn't work. Sorry

In 12th place, with 3pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Imagine by Pentatonix

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 8/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: I've heard the name and think they're a vocal only band...? Don't really know them though
Fit comment: Had to dock a couple as it's John Lennon, not the Beatles Tongue
Song comment: Ah, I don't want to be rude about this because I kind of get that they have good voices and are talented but it's not for me. Remember during lockdown a load of actors covered this and got slated for it? Well I never heard that version and listening to this I wondered for a moment if that's what it was, which is not a good sign. Sorry, not for me

In 11th place, with 4pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Come Together by Aerosmith

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: I hadn't heard this cover
Song comment: Now, back in the 90s I remember Paul McCartney, Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller and more doing this for the HELP album and loving it, so I have a great affinity for this song. I also like Aerosmith, so I'm a bit disappointed that this doesn't quitework for me, The guitar work is great and the song is a great base. I'm not sure I love Stephen Tyler's voice on it, even though it kind of suits the song. I know thta doesn't make a lot of sense. I think it's different enough to jar but not different enough to be original. It's good but not amazing