A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:19 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Mutiny by William Elliot Whitmore

They said: Since you were envisioning a singer and guitar/piano for this category, I decided to go for the lesser heard singer and drums combo, because I like to defy expectations, and I also just think it's a cool song with a nice simple beat that puts the vocals front and center.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 8/10
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 76%

Newness comment: Yep, new to me
Fit comment: Drums and voice, nice and simple. Oh, that later call and response muddies it a bit
Song comment: Ah look, I was really liking this but when it hits the call and response it ruins it for me a bit. Shame, I like his voice and it's an interesting style. On repeated listens though, it's losing some points as the novelty wears off. And man, the rest of the pub joining in really pulls me out of my enjoyment, have I mentioned that?

Definitely agree, the crowd participation drags it down a bit, so can't argue with the comments and very happy with middle of the pack on this round.

(19-09-2021, 09:26 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(19-09-2021, 09:19 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Mutiny by William Elliot Whitmore

They said: Since you were envisioning a singer and guitar/piano for this category, I decided to go for the lesser heard singer and drums combo, because I like to defy expectations, and I also just think it's a cool song with a nice simple beat that puts the vocals front and center.

Never heard of the guy so looked him up on Wikipedia.  His picture was definitely not what I was expecting!  This reminds me of the old prison work songs recorded by Alan Lomax in the 1940s, I really, really like it.

Had never actually pulled up a picture of him myself before either and also not what I had imagined.

Makes a mental note that you liked this song enough to comment on it, as that could come in handy for the inevitable and much anticipated "Zaph's Walrus"

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 10:14 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Definitely agree, the crowd participation drags it down a bit, so can't argue with the comments and very happy with middle of the pack on this round.

I felt bad that it got double punished for that, as it complicated the song and made it worst. But look, I still really liked it - the songs above it were all really great.

(19-09-2021, 10:18 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Had never actually pulled up a picture of him myself before either and also not what I had imagined.

It's funny - he was almost exactly what I pictured in my head Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 10:18 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Makes a mental note that you liked this song enough to comment on it, as that could come in handy for the inevitable and much anticipated "Zaph's Walrus"

Checks definition of inevitable just to make sure there isn't some other nefarious definition I'm not aware of.  Yeah, that ain't ever happening Big Grin

(19-09-2021, 09:49 PM)E.N. Wrote: Which means the winner of the first round, taking home 14pts, is... Strange by Celeste

Song comment: Her voice is amazing, it has that slight edge and imperfection to it that almost make it perfect, if that makes sense

Just played this for my wife, she hated her voice and didn't like the song. I had suggested she cojudged with me, maybe it's best she said no pac

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:25 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 5th place, with 10pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Redemption Song by Bob Marley and The Wailers

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Fit: 10/10
Song: 10/10
Total EN Score: 80%

Newness comment: Ha ha, afraid not!
Fit comment: Yep, it's a perfect fit
Song comment: I love Bob Marley and I love this song, not much more to say. It's practically perfect to my ears. It's going to be down the rankings because it's so well known, but it's still a wonderful listen

I love this song

(19-09-2021, 10:44 PM)Zaph Wrote:
(19-09-2021, 10:18 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: Makes a mental note that you liked this song enough to comment on it, as that could come in handy for the inevitable and much anticipated "Zaph's Walrus"

Checks definition of inevitable just to make sure there isn't some other nefarious definition I'm not aware of.  Yeah, that ain't ever happening Big Grin

Ah Go On!

[Image: go-on-father-ted.gif]

(19-09-2021, 10:48 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:
(19-09-2021, 09:25 PM)E.N. Wrote: Redemption Song by Bob Marley and The Wailers
I love this song

Me too. I was very glad I set a scoring system before listening, because otherwise I'd have really struggled to rank songs like this compared to new ones. As it was I feel like it landed about right, here and in other rounds

(19-09-2021, 11:01 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote:
(19-09-2021, 10:44 PM)Zaph Wrote: Checks definition of inevitable just to make sure there isn't some other nefarious definition I'm not aware of.  Yeah, that ain't ever happening Big Grin

Ah Go On!

[Image: go-on-father-ted.gif]

Yeah, go on!
Zaph and Toto double header Big Grin
(ignore what I just said about being glad I soloed it!)

Only beaker is left in the old waiting list, we need fresh blood.

(And there's only about 50 waiting to be finished Tongue)

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 11:04 PM)E.N. Wrote: Yeah, go on!
Zaph and Toto double header Big Grin
(ignore what I just said about being glad I soloed it!)

I can just see it now...
Round 1 - your favourite 1940s blues song
Round 2 - 90s boy bands greatest hits

Judging together would be carnage Big Grin

(19-09-2021, 11:04 PM)E.N. Wrote: (And there's only about 50 waiting to be finished Tongue)

Yeah, really disappointed Clarabel never finished hers, there was one song I submitted that she actually PMd me about afterwards and I really wanted to see how it did in the end.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - ShaneU - 20-09-2021

\o/ 1st Thanks E.N. That song makes me cry every time  Cry

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 20-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:09 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 10th place, with 5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with The Beat(en) Generation by The The

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 7/10
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: Is that you Aris? I'm sure you've entered this before Wink
Fit comment: Pretty good. It is pretty simple but there's other songs in this round that beat it on that front
Song comment: I'm afraid it just kind of passes me by. I quite like it, but after a few listens I found it wasn't grabbing me at all, sorry
Hahahahaha, have I?
I'm sure I have submitted Kingdom of Rain, his duet with Sinead O'Connor which is from the same album. But I have been obsessed with The The the last few years so maybe I have hahaha

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 20-09-2021

(20-09-2021, 12:00 PM)Irish Aris Wrote: Hahahahaha, have I?
I'm sure I have submitted Kingdom of Rain, his duet with Sinead O'Connor which is from the same album. But I have been obsessed with The The the last few years so maybe I have hahaha

In the weekly walrus. Don't ask me how I remembered! pac

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - RSOAPS - 20-09-2021

(20-09-2021, 01:14 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(20-09-2021, 12:00 PM)Irish Aris Wrote: Hahahahaha, have I?

In the weekly walrus. Don't ask me how I remembered! pac

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475hfse27te0q5r0wcql...y.gif&ct=g]

pac

(20-09-2021, 01:51 PM)Rachel Stevens on a Pogo Stick Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475hfse27te0q5r0wcql...y.gif&ct=g]

pac

I know, I'd take a restraining order out against myself for that! shock

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 20-09-2021

@E.N. 

In case you're interested in checking it out, Bonnie Prince Billy did an uptempo cover of his own song 13 years later, in 2012. Videos pretty cool, and was shot in Glasgow (after your reference to Mogwai)

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 20-09-2021

EN really enjoyed that reveal, didn't love all the songs but some gems in there. I really like your scoring system!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Sephiroth_Dude - 20-09-2021

@E.N.  another round tonight maybe ?

[Image: please-cat.gif]

(20-09-2021, 08:06 PM)Sephiroth_Dude Wrote: @E.N.  another round tonight maybe ?

[Image: please-cat.gif]

Ah no - Kol's revealing his quiz results tonight, and the werewolf game is on. Don't want to clash too much

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 21-09-2021

OK, thinking tomorrow or Thursday for the next round, 9pm again. Are many of you in the werewolf game?

Next up, Title Tracks
Really broad category, once I started thinking I had loads, but here's some I might have picked myself....

Kveikur by Sigur Ros, especially as I don't think many people know about Evil Sigur Ros!

Protection by Massive Attack, love this song so much
I've leaned on you for years, Now you can lean on me, And that's more than love, That's the way it should be, Now I can't change the way you think, But I could put my arms around you

The Came The Morning by The Lone Bellow, love the harmonies in particular. Such a great live act, had a couple of amazing nights watching them in Whelans

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 21-09-2021

(21-09-2021, 04:53 PM)E.N. Wrote: OK, thinking tomorrow or Thursday for the next round, 9pm again. Are many of you in the werewolf game?

I'm not

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 21-09-2021

9pm should be alright, it'll be post lynch so won't be mad busy on werewolf

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 22-09-2021

OK, Title Tracks tonight at 9pm

Be here or be weird Tongue

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 22-09-2021

Not feeling over confident about my selection this round, It's one I thought about changing.

(22-09-2021, 06:41 PM)osh Wrote: Not feeling over confident about my selection this round, It's one I thought about changing.
[Image: 862c6dbfc4e80be89cebfb4cb1edf5a4.gif]

(genuinely no idea what you entered!)

OK, I've a whisky poured (Laphroaig PX Cask, as you ask) and I'm ready to go.
Again, I'll go 12-3, the 13, 2, 14, 1...

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 22-09-2021

Looking forward to the reveal. Know already the score for my song will be low due to the newness factor.

Oh, and I just gave 10/10 for fit across the board. I trust you guys, I didn't actually check!

We start in 12th place, with 3pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Beautiful World by Take That

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Total EN Score: 68%

Newness comment: Obviously I've heard of Take That! Don't know this song though
Song comment: They keep asking "Do you feel what I feel?" and I'm afraid the answer is no. Look, it's a good tune and the harmonies are really well done, I totally get why people like it but it's just not for me, sorry

In 11th place, with 4pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Paranoid by Black Sabbath

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 8/10
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: Ha ha, not new, no!
Song comment: Look, it's a classic, isn't it? It's not my genre but I can still appreciate this is a tune and a half, not much more to say

In 10th place, with 5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Painkiller by Judas Priest

I said:
Newness:
3/5
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: I know of Judas Priest, but don't really know their stuff
Song comment: Faster than a laser bullet, louder than an atom bomb...? I'm having trouble taking it seriously I'm afraid. As a 30 second burst it's good, but I rapidly find myself getting a bit bored of it. Just not my style

And concluding our rock section Tongue

In 9th place, with 6pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Better Life by 3 Doors Down

I said:
Newness:
3/5

Newness comment: I know 3DD, but not much
Song comment: Great riff, driving drums, lots to like. But somehow it's not grabbing me, it's a little generic. I like it, but don't love it

I fear may consider this blasphemy but here goes...

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Tusk by Fleetwood Mac

I said:
Newness:
3/5

Newness comment: I actually don't know much FM other than their big singles, thanks to my folks who both liked them
Song comment: So I know this album is considered a classic, but I'm not a big fan of the Fleetwood Mac I do know, so let's see... I do like the recorded soundscape start, drums coming in nicely... light voices, drawing me in but it has to go somewhere. No, not yet... even the brass doesn't seem fully committed. It's odd, there's a hell of a lot going on, but it still feels a bit restrained to me. Not sure. OK, on repeated listens it's not grown on me massively. It's decent, but no more

(22-09-2021, 09:01 PM)E.N. Wrote: OK, I've a whisky poured (Laphroaig PX Cask, as you ask) and I'm ready to go.

Nice. Laphroig and Lagavulin the only whiskys I like.

(22-09-2021, 09:14 PM)osh Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 09:01 PM)E.N. Wrote: OK, I've a whisky poured (Laphroaig PX Cask, as you ask) and I'm ready to go.

Nice. Laphroig and Lagavulin the only whiskys I like.

They're my favourites, but I like most!
If you've never been to Islay I would highly recommend it. There's a boat there from the north, the distillery tours are awesome and it's a great place in its own right

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 22-09-2021

Never really got into Scotch, I'm more of a bourbon man. That said, I have a bottle of Highland Park 18yo which is absolutely sublime.

(22-09-2021, 09:16 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 09:14 PM)osh Wrote: Nice. Laphroig and Lagavulin the only whiskys I like.

They're my favourites, but I like most!
If you've never been to Islay I would highly recommend it. There's a boat there from the north, the distillery tours are awesome and it's a great place in its own right

I haven't but I imagine it would be great. I never really liked Whisky much, but have a mate who loves his whisky and he's managed to introduce me to those successfully!

It was on a trip to Amsterdam, and there's a great whisky bar there - L&B I think, where I grew to like some whisky Big Grin

In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Pacer by The Amps

They said: My choice for the ending track could have slotted in here, but this is Sheep so I won't be repeating answers! And since I'm not using The Breeders for #3 (or #1, because I had one of theirs considered for that category too!) it's only fair I give Kim Deal some airtime here instead. This is quite a simple, jangly song but it has the charming ramshackle quality that I love about Kim Deal's music. It sounds like she's just after recording it in your sitting room in between smoke breaks, and that's really cool.

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Total EN Score: 80%

Newness comment: I know The Amps are Kim Deal's band that aren't the Breeders or Pixies, but don't think I've listened to them
Song comment: I think my knowledge of Kim Deal is tainting my listening here. There's a definite similarity of style to her other bands, but it's not as good for me. I get to the end and find I want to listen to Cannonball, but I don't think that's a great endorsement for this song, sorry

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 22-09-2021

(22-09-2021, 09:14 PM)E.N. Wrote: I fear may consider this blasphemy but here goes...

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Tusk by Fleetwood Mac

I said:
Newness:
3/5

Newness comment: I actually don't know much FM other than their big singles, thanks to my folks who both liked them
Your parents have great taste in music  Tongue Big Grin

(22-09-2021, 09:20 PM)cee_jay Wrote: Your parents have great taste in music  Tongue Big Grin
I don't need codenames level insight to know what you're implying there pac