A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar.
REVEAL! EN's walrus - Printable Version

+- A sheep, a werewolf and a walrus walk into a bar. (https://forumofgames.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Games (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Walrii (https://forumofgames.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: REVEAL! EN's walrus (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 19-09-2021

Howdy folks, and welcome to my walrus reveal, kicking off tonight

Some housekeeping first

Scoring
Throughout the walrus I've scored each song three ways:
  • Newness, out of 5
  • Fit, out of 10 (everyone scores 10 in the obvious rounds like title track)
  • The song itself, out of 10
I've added these and multiplied by 4 to give an overall rating out of 100 and ranked by this. Any songs that are tied I've ordered by gut feel

Our players
  1. Aris
  2. cee_jay
  3. Homer
  4. Kol
  5. Liz
  6. Necro
  7. Neo
  8. nothing
  9. osh
  10. R.Soaps
  11. Sawduck
  12. Sephi
  13. Shane
  14. Zaph

Categories reminder
  1. Simple
  2. Title tracks
  3. Beatles Covers
  4. Bond-esque
  5. DJ!
  6. Album finale

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - E.N. - 19-09-2021

We'll start tonight with simple songs

Some examples I might have considered...

Into My Arms by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Talk Tonight by oasis

Wandering Star by Portishead, live at Glastonbury

But what did you all pick?
And how did I like them?
Find out tonight at 9pm Big Grin

And a teaser about my thoughts (in alphabetical order!)

Quote:Ah look, I was really liking this but...
Quote:Even the piano playing feels emotive.
Quote:First things first, I'm glad this entered as it's not what I'd normally listen to at all. But....
Quote:Her voice is amazing, it has that slight edge and imperfection to it that almost make it perfect, if that makes sense.
Quote:I hate to be that person that says "I love XXXX, if only you'd entered..."
Quote:I love this song, not much more to say.
Quote:I mean, it's beautiful really, isn't it?
Quote:It's practically perfect to my ears.
Quote:Sombre and slow, but warm at the same time.
Quote:...this joke is starting to wear thin.
Quote:Yeah, there's not a lot to comment on (it is simple!) but I'm enjoying this on repeat listens

As always, don't mind me if I don't like your picks. I've learnt the hard way here that I have quite unique taste, so it's probably me, not you!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 19-09-2021

Hahahahaha, I'm trying to figure out which comment is for my submission!!

(19-09-2021, 12:48 PM)Irish Aris Wrote: Hahahahaha, I'm trying to figure out which comment is for my submission!!

They're might not be one for you Tongue
That's just some phrases that caught my eye, not everyone's covered, I think some might be even be covered by two. I might try to be more organised for the next round and stick up one for everyone

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - jp liz v1 - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 12:48 PM)Irish Aris Wrote: Hahahahaha, I'm trying to figure out which comment is for my submission!!

I'm trying to remember my submissions

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Irish Aris - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 01:57 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:

Hahahahaha!!!
I always keep the PM until the reveal is done!!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Neowise - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 01:57 PM)jp liz v1 Wrote:

likewise, and i can't, and i'm gonna keep it a surprise.

Nippers in bed, pizza and beer on the table, ready to roll in half an hour! Hopefully see you then...

[Image: game-time-lets-start-the-game.gif]

As seems traditional, I'll reveal 12th to 3rd followed by 13th, 2nd, 14th, 1st...

First out of the blocks, in 12th place, with 3pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Star Wars by Moosebutter

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 6/10
Song: 4/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: All new
Fit comment: Accappela, but there's actually a fair bit happening
Song comment: Ha ha, OK - first listen and it's clever and funny but even by the end of the first listen this joke is starting to wear thin. Yeah, I'm on my fourth listen now and I'm over it, I'm afraid. I'm glad you entered it and that I heard it once, but it doesn't stand up to repeated listens, sorry

In 11th place, with 4pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Nobody's Hero by Bon Jovi

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Fit: 8/10
Song: 6/10
Total EN Score: 60%

Newness comment: I can't place the song, so a generous 1!
Fit comment: Yep, pretty simple, but not as sparse as some in this round
Song comment: Confused - I love Bon Jovi but this just makes me want to listen to better Bon Jovi, sorry. His voice isn't right for a song like this, it's just grand

[Image: giphy.gif]

Luckily no one entered that!

In 10th place, with 5pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with The Beat(en) Generation by The The

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 7/10
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 64%

Newness comment: Is that you Aris? I'm sure you've entered this before Wink
Fit comment: Pretty good. It is pretty simple but there's other songs in this round that beat it on that front
Song comment: I'm afraid it just kind of passes me by. I quite like it, but after a few listens I found it wasn't grabbing me at all, sorry

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - nothing - 19-09-2021

I think my main go to playlist is all parody and funny songs. But I'm happy with 12th Big Grin

In 9th place, with 6pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Catch The Wind by Donovan

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Fit: 10/10
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: I know the name of course, don't think I know the song...
Fit comment: Ah yeah, guitar and voice, nice
Song comment: Let's cut to the chase, he's a poor man's Dylan, right? Oh, there's even a harmonica. OK, now that that's out of the way... this is good but doesn't really jump out at me. It just feels a little generic to me. So decent, but not amazing

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Zaph - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:08 PM)E.N. Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Jesus, no, we wouldn't do that to you!

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - cee_jay - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:08 PM)E.N. Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

*Waves* o/

(19-09-2021, 09:14 PM)cee_jay Wrote: *Waves* o/

In 8th place, with 7pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss

They said: This is probably the saddest song ever, so apologies in advance, but I think the simplicity of the acoustic guitar just adds to the sadness.

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Fit: 9/10
Song: 5/10
Total EN Score: 72%

Newness comment: Didn't know it. I do recognise the name Brad Paisley but wouldn't know anything by him. Alison Krauss I know from her collaboration with Robert Plant but that's it
Fit comment: Yeah, nice and simple. The voices mesh nicely and don't get in each other's way.
Song comment: First things first, I'm glad this entered as it's not what I'd normally listen to at all. But.... it just doesn't grab me. My main issue is that the lyrics are meant to be really sad but I don't feel the emotion in the singers' voices, so it ends up feeling a little fake to me. She's got a great voice, and I feel like his could carry that emotion but doesn't here. So it just leaves me a bit flat, sorry

In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Mutiny by William Elliot Whitmore

They said: Since you were envisioning a singer and guitar/piano for this category, I decided to go for the lesser heard singer and drums combo, because I like to defy expectations, and I also just think it's a cool song with a nice simple beat that puts the vocals front and center.

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 8/10
Total EN Score: 76%

Newness comment: Yep, new to me
Fit comment: Drums and voice, nice and simple. Oh, that later call and response muddies it a bit
Song comment: Ah look, I was really liking this but when it hits the call and response it ruins it for me a bit. Shame, I like his voice and it's an interesting style. On repeated listens though, it's losing some points as the novelty wears off. And man, the rest of the pub joining in really pulls me out of my enjoyment, have I mentioned that?

In 6th place, with 9pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I said:
Newness:
2/5
Song: 8/10
Total EN Score: 80%

Newness comment: Couple of points as I obviously know the song, but couldn't have told you who it was
Fit comment: Yep, it's a perfect fit
Song comment: I mean, it's beautiful really, isn't it? I did find on repeated listens my attention waned, so it drops back a bit but it's an absolue classic and well worth 8pts

Getting to the business end already here. I did not hand out many 10/10s for songs....

In 5th place, with 10pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Redemption Song by Bob Marley and The Wailers

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 10/10

Newness comment: Ha ha, afraid not!
Song comment: I love Bob Marley and I love this song, not much more to say. It's practically perfect to my ears. It's going to be down the rankings because it's so well known, but it's still a wonderful listen

(19-09-2021, 09:19 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 7th place, with 8pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Mutiny by William Elliot Whitmore

They said: Since you were envisioning a singer and guitar/piano for this category, I decided to go for the lesser heard singer and drums combo, because I like to defy expectations, and I also just think it's a cool song with a nice simple beat that puts the vocals front and center.

Never heard of the guy so looked him up on Wikipedia. His picture was definitely not what I was expecting! This reminds me of the old prison work songs recorded by Alan Lomax in the 1940s, I really, really like it.

(19-09-2021, 09:26 PM)Zaph Wrote: Never heard of the guy so looked him up on Wikipedia.  His picture was definitely not what I was expecting!  This reminds me of the old prison work songs recorded by Alan Lomax in the 1940s, I really, really like it

Yeah, i really liked it until the rest of the rabble came in and ruined it. Did I mention that? Tongue

(19-09-2021, 09:28 PM)E.N. Wrote:
(19-09-2021, 09:26 PM)Zaph Wrote: Never heard of the guy so looked him up on Wikipedia.  His picture was definitely not what I was expecting!  This reminds me of the old prison work songs recorded by Alan Lomax in the 1940s, I really, really like it

Yeah, i really liked it until the rest of the rabble came in and ruined it. Did I mention that? Tongue

No, I must have missed that bit Big Grin

In 4th place, with 11pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with I See A Darkness by Bonnie Prince Billy

I said:
Newness:
3/5

Newness comment: I know the name, but not well, and don't know the song
Fit comment: Voice front and centre, with just a little instrumentation behind it to to keep it on track
Song comment: Yeah, I like this. Sombre and slow, but warm at the same time. I feel like I'm hearing some Mogwai influence, are they related... nope, he's not even Scottish, the name threw me! OK, on repeated listens this is settling slightly lower but I do really like it, a very worthy 8

(19-09-2021, 09:25 PM)E.N. Wrote: In 5th place, with 10pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Redemption Song by Bob Marley and The Wailers

I said:
Newness:
0/5
Song: 10/10

Newness comment: Ha ha, afraid not!
Song comment: I love Bob Marley and I love this song, not much more to say. It's practically perfect to my ears. It's going to be down the rankings because it's so well known, but it's still a wonderful listen

I'll happily take that.  I knew I'd probably strike out on the newness part, but I took the chance that it would score better on how it fit.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 19-09-2021

Yay happy with that. I love the song. Johnny Cash did a good cover too on his American III: Solitary Man

In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Say What You Came To Say by Scheer

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Total EN Score: 88%

Newness comment: Don't know the name at all. Looking them up they're 90s Irish rock, I feel like I should know them, but I don't
Fit comment: Nicely stripped back. Again, not as bare as some in this round
Song comment: I like this, good voice - lightly lilting but still commands your interest. Yeah, there's not a lot to comment on (it is simple!) but I'm enjoying this on repeat listens, a very nice choice

So our top two and bottom two are...
  • Homer
  • Necro
  • Neo
  • Shane

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - osh - 19-09-2021

Have to say its a relief not being in the final 4 Big Grin

Too many times, I'm in final top/bottom group and I'm certain I can't be near the bottom, and then wham

(19-09-2021, 09:35 PM)osh Wrote: Have to say its a relief not being in the final 4 Big Grin

Too many times, I'm in final top/bottom group and I'm certain I can't be near the bottom, and then wham

I feel your pain, been there many times!
I almost went with a straight 14th to 1st run to avoid that but thought I'd stick with tradition

In 13th place, with 2pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Working On The Highway by Bruce Springsteen

They said: Prob one of my fave Springsteen tracks for how different it is to a lot of his stuff..

I said:
Newness:
1/5
Fit: 6/10
Total EN Score: 52%

Newness comment: I mean, it's The Boss! I couldn't immediately recall the song from the name so a generous 1
Fit comment: There's actually a fair amount going on in the instrumentation. The style is simple enough though
Song comment: I hate to be that person that says "I love Bruce Springsteen, if only you'd entered..." but this just doesn't really do it for me. After repeated listens I'm finding the chorus riff a bit annoying actually. Yeah, it's dropping now, I do like it but it makes me want to listen to other Bruce songs

In second place, with 13pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with I Know by Sharon van Etten

They said: Just a voice and a piano, and both are sublime. This song is achingly beautiful. She's one of my favourite singer-songwriters because she really knows how to convey sadness and pain in her voice. She's had a rough history of abusive relationships, which perhaps explains why she has found fame a little later in life. But she's now a qualified psychotherapist, as well as a musician, so she has channeled that pain into something positive. Check out her live version of this on Jools Holland as well, it's wonderful.

I said:
Newness:
4/5

Newness comment: I know Sharon van Etten from her work with The National, and feel like I may even have seen her supporting them, but have't listened to any of her stuff I don't think
Fit comment: Just her and a piano, nice
Song comment: Like this, she's got a great voice, really interesting rather than pitch perfect. Even the piano playing feels emotive. It does finish slightly flat for me, it felt like it was building but then just slightly stopped, so I'm left wanting slightly more, but I guess that's a good sign!

In 14th place, with 1pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Megablast (Hip Hop on Precinct 13) by Bomb The Bass

I said:
Newness:
5/5
Fit: 0/10
Total EN Score: 44%

Newness comment: Didn't know it
Fit comment: Ummm... guessing someone misread the category here? I'd say this is far from simple!
Song comment: I like it. I'm a big fan of DJ Shadow and (checks this is older, yep) you can hear a lot here that probably influenced that sound. I'm guessing this was quite pioneering and if it I hadn't heard a lot of how this sound developed I'd like it a lot more. As it is, I feel I know how this sound evolves, and it gets better, so that clouds my judgement of this, sorry. All in all, good but doesn't blow me away

Which means the winner of the first round, taking home 14pts, is

SpoilerShow Content

with Strange by Celeste

I said:
Newness:
4/5
Song: 9/10

Newness comment: I know the name but don't know any songs, so pretty good
Fit comment: Ah yeah, nice and stripped back
Song comment: This is the second song I've listened to and I have a feeling it might be winning. Her voice is amazing, it has that slight edge and imperfection to it that almost make it perfect, if that makes sense. The music is great, the strings swell nicely over the piano that's guiding us along. But it's all about her voice. Really liking this

So after the first round our table looks like this...

Simple
Shane14
Homer13
Sephi12
osh11
Zaph10
Liz9
R.Soaps8
cee_jay7
Sawduck6
Aris5
Kol4
nothing3
Necro2
Neo1

Not many around so I'll hold off with round 2. I'll keep an eye on the werewolf and other reveals (I think Kol's 90s surlaw and HeyV's sheep are this week) to see when it'll be. Won't be too long though

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Neowise - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:52 PM)E.N. Wrote: So after the first round our table looks like this...

Simple
Shane14
Homer13
Sephi12
osh11
Zaph10
Liz9
R.Soaps8
cee_jay7
Sawduck6
Aris5
Kol4
nothing3
Necro2
Neo1

Not many around so I'll hold off with round 2. I'll keep an eye on the werewolf and other reveals (I think Kol's 90s surlaw and HeyV's sheep are this week) to see when it'll be. Won't be too long though

The only way is up.

RE: REVEAL! EN's walrus - Sephiroth_Dude - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 09:33 PM)E.N. Wrote: In third place, with 12pts, it's

SpoilerShow Content

with Say What You Came To Say by Scheer

I said:
Newness:
5/5

Newness comment: Don't know the name at all. Looking them up they're 90s Irish rock, I feel like I should know them, but I don't
Fit comment: Nicely stripped back. Again, not as bare as some in this round
Song comment: I like this, good voice - lightly lilting but still commands your interest. Yeah, there's not a lot to comment on (it is simple!) but I'm enjoying this on repeat listens, a very nice choice

3rd ? I'll take it !!!